Based on playing this game... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room

vsek -> Based on playing this game... (2/21/2011 6:36:14 AM)

Sorry if slightly off topic...but I had to comment.

There must be a crazy amount of war wreckage/tanks/undiscovered plane wrecks etc etc left in the real Russia today. There must have been thousands of individual battles. From major ones to small skirmishs.

pat.casey -> RE: Based on playing this game... (2/21/2011 7:51:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: vsek

Sorry if slightly off topic...but I had to comment.

There must be a crazy amount of war wreckage/tanks/undiscovered plane wrecks etc etc left in the real Russia today. There must have been thousands of individual battles. From major ones to small skirmishs.

I believe most of the large material was salvaged even during the war. High grade steel and aircraft aluminum are valuable commodities.

You'd be surprised how rare actual (as opposed to reconstruction), WW II tanks and aircraft are.

magnno66 -> RE: Based on playing this game... (2/21/2011 2:39:50 PM)

I have a friend living in Estonia. He spends time on excacavating old battlefields from wwII. He runs across tremendous amount of stuff still out there. Some months ago he found a fully furnished russian field kitchen in the woods while looking for a Tiger that reportedly had sunk into a marsh in 44. The Tiger is yet to find though...

Mines and granades are still blowing up under russian peoples' feet every year...

PaulWRoberts -> RE: Based on playing this game... (2/21/2011 2:45:52 PM)

The big stuff has nearly all been salvaged, but I wonder how much shrapnel and how many bullets are still in the ground, in trees, in walls, etc.

Does anyone know how many bullets were expended during the war?

kaleidoscope -> RE: Based on playing this game... (2/22/2011 5:22:17 PM)

Some time capsules from the war
FW190 found in great condition considering it was sitting in the
open elements for so long. It is surrounded by small trees
which have grown up since the time of its crash.
FW-190
dead pilot pulled from
lend lease hurricane fighter cockpit after his plane crashed
in a bog. (graphic image warning)
pilot recovered

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI