Ongoing debate on value for $ (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series

berthier -> Ongoing debate on value for $ (2/28/2011 1:27:37 AM)

I have to say I've read with amusement some of the complaints about

1)its' value for the money and
2)whether it is broken or not.

So far I've started three campaigns as the Axis and resigned each time. The last game I lasted till the end of Feb '42 with shredded armies and huge holes in the front before I had to concede.

Is the game broken? I don't know but I'm not prepared to make that call without a whole lot more playing. I haven't learnt how to survive the blizzards but I keep coming back for more and each play through has been better. Each time I've done insufficient damage to the Russians so I deserved to get pounded. Each play through I've learnt you need to better manage supply, rail repair(with what little control you have on that) and air use. The first play throughs the Axis were too tentative and it cost big time.

But looking objectively, I've already spent maybe 20+ hours playing this game for a cost of $100A. currently that's $5/hour and falling...guys that is CHEAP entertainment at any time and represents excellent value for money. For those who hate the game, sell it on ebay and you'll recoup at least half so your entertainment per hour cost has also halved.

This game has been so entertaining, despite my crap perfomance, I've even stopped reading the "When is World in Flames coming out" thread... what more can you say to endorse it than that[;)]

fbs -> RE: Ongoing debate on value for $ (2/28/2011 3:13:03 AM)

I second that, Gary is the man! [:D]

56ajax -> RE: Ongoing debate on value for $ (2/28/2011 5:14:20 AM)

only 20 + plus hours....??? $100 aussie dollars = 2 tanks of petrol, or 20 coffee and muffin deals, or COD plus change...you could play this game for years...excellent value...

berthier -> RE: Ongoing debate on value for $ (2/28/2011 6:21:45 AM)

Johntom

That's weird I work in Carnegie....!

Joel Billings -> RE: Ongoing debate on value for $ (2/28/2011 5:05:36 PM)

Wow, you got to Feb 42 in your 3rd campaign and only have played 20 hours? I wish I could play that quickly. [:)]

Pawlock -> RE: Ongoing debate on value for $ (2/28/2011 6:28:54 PM)

yes , the 1st turn alone as soviets can take numerous hours of manipulation[:D]
quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

Wow, you got to Feb 42 in your 3rd campaign and only have played 20 hours? I wish I could play that quickly. [:)]

Neal_MLC -> RE: Ongoing debate on value for $ (2/28/2011 9:46:51 PM)

I am in my 3rd campaign as the Russkies (only finished 1) and have stopped trying to rush through the turn. I am spending quite a bit of drilling down and getting into the details. I am finding this to be much more enjoyable instead of just pushing counters around. I am finding that my strategy and tactics are much more effective as well. But to each his own[:D] as it is all about having fun

berthier -> RE: Ongoing debate on value for $ (2/28/2011 10:32:13 PM)

Well maybe a bit more than 20hours for three games..time does seem to pass when you're playing. The quickness of the first couple of games may have been because I didn't read the rules for the first game [X(] and only glanced at some stuff for the second and third.

My major supply problems in the third game were due to failing to use the five RR repair units manually..but now I've been through the rules that problem at least is solved. Also reading the AAR for "noob" has supplied some techniques to handle the blizzard turns a bit better so game four is underway!

Rosseau -> RE: Ongoing debate on value for $ (2/28/2011 11:54:33 PM)

As a "turtle," I spent the first two months with the "road to's" and the editor. Have come up for air in the last month. However, this may be one of the most long-lived games from Matrix. If it develops anything like WitP AE, we have much to look forward to.

Also, based on the forum activity and posts from new people, it seems like the game has sold well, which bodes well for future support. Not to mention the help from the testers after the fact. And yes, Pavel, we love you, too!

SuluSea -> RE: Ongoing debate on value for $ (3/1/2011 12:01:57 AM)

Heck man, I have atleast 60 hours and counting playing road scenarios and countless hours testing theories in the bigger scenarios. This game needs some tweaks and the developers are looking at it we can rest easy. That said knowing what I know now this was an easy purchase and i'll be buying WITW and WITD(desert) on the first day they're available.

fbs -> RE: Ongoing debate on value for $ (3/1/2011 1:34:53 AM)

What are you guys talking about? I've spent some 50 hours and haven't gone past turn 3 yet.... this is going to a looong game, oh no... :-(

Mynok -> RE: Ongoing debate on value for $ (3/1/2011 3:07:29 AM)

I've had a mess of fun. Well worth the money. And it's only going to get better as more and more info comes in from games.

Krec -> RE: Ongoing debate on value for $ (3/1/2011 3:36:15 AM)

Cheap entertainment i say.  Some people always complain about how much these games cost, while i say they could charge more and i would still be way ahead. Another fun game at a fair price.[:)]

bairdlander2 -> RE: Ongoing debate on value for $ (3/1/2011 6:48:29 AM)

Probably spent 100+ hours.Into my 3rd campaign as Axis.SU casualties keep increasing everytime.But now advanced too far and dont have enough units to defend in blizzard[:@]Well worth the $$ spent.

JamesM -> RE: Ongoing debate on value for $ (3/1/2011 7:45:59 AM)

War in Russia and War in the pacific (both editions), many many months of gaming.  I pay $100for a shoot them up game and once I finish the campaign, it virtually disappears from my hard drive.  If you think about cost verse time spent playing the game, WitP AE and WitE are the cheapest games on the market!

DBeves -> RE: Ongoing debate on value for $ (3/1/2011 11:41:18 AM)

quote:

2)whether it is broken or not.

Who said it was broken - there have been some issues for sure - many corrected - some things I really dont like - but I wasnt aware it had got that bad ?

Panama -> RE: Ongoing debate on value for $ (3/1/2011 12:22:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Krec

Cheap entertainment i say.  Some people always complain about how much these games cost, while i say they could charge more and i would still be way ahead. Another fun game at a fair price.[:)]

Yeah, that's right. Encourage them to charge even more. [:D]

BTW, it is the folks who bother to point out the problems that improve the game. Not the ones who don't. [:'(]

Commanderski -> RE: Ongoing debate on value for $ (3/1/2011 12:40:54 PM)

This game has been well worth the money. Haven't watched a movie in months. The game just keeps getting better with every update.

Icedawg -> RE: Ongoing debate on value for $ (3/1/2011 1:29:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

I second that! I've had the game for a week now and have invested about 60+ hours and have only gotten through the third turn! (And then I promply restarted when I realized I was missing some fundamental concepts about how the game works.)

Icedawg -> RE: Ongoing debate on value for $ (3/1/2011 1:33:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commanderski

This game has been well worth the money. Haven't watched a movie in months. The game just keeps getting better with every update.

I'd agree with your assessment of the game's value. However, if I keep playing to the extent that I have been of late, I may have to hire a divorce attorney. [:D] When that happens, the ratio of entertainment to dollars invested will decrease greatly!

stewartbragg -> RE: Ongoing debate on value for $ (3/1/2011 2:08:20 PM)

Well worth the money. Keep coming back for more!

berthier -> RE: Ongoing debate on value for $ (3/2/2011 1:26:22 AM)

Dbeves, I didn't mean to suggest I felt the game was broken in my opening post. The comment arose from my reading of the ongoing debate on blizzard effects that "some" felt ruined the game.

I'd re-iterate, that like many I think there may be a problem in the modelling of the weather effects (possibly for BOTH sides) for that first winter but that in spite of this I'm having a ball with the game and think the value ot represents is superb. I played War in Russia on PC, maybe 14 years ago, to death and this one is getting the same treatment. My intention for the post was to indicate to those who were considering buying that in my opinion the purchase represents a no brainier from a value perspective.

The continuing debate indicates the game has certainly produced a response from its' audience which can only be a good thing. Some of the other forums have cobwebs there's so little discussion. Debate to me indicates the game is being played and played a lot, regardless of any play issues and that indicates a succesful product. It may not be perfect, but it's getting better and better.

Phenix -> RE: Ongoing debate on value for $ (3/2/2011 1:39:08 AM)

Im in my 3rd campaign won first on normal on turn 105 as axis, second one crashed, started a new as axis again and i am currently in the first turn after the blizzard. Dont know how many hours i have spent but it must be alot and i am sure having fun.
My problems are not that i have to retreat too far during the blizzard but that the morale of my units are around 50 and 60 after the blizzard(except for the panzer corps) which makes offensives in -42 very hard to say the least, but by pretending its -43 instead i can continue to have fun ;-)

fsp -> RE: Ongoing debate on value for $ (3/2/2011 8:27:34 PM)

I think the game has issues, be it with airforces or the underpowered Axis forces of 1942.

Threw in the towel with the first Axis campaign after ~ 20 turns, not doing so well. Read a lot in the forum, tried again. Am now in turn 66 on normal and I think I am winning (Leningrad fell December 1941, Moscow in June 1942). Tried two "Road to..." scenarios.

I spent ~ 100 hours now with the game, that equals a lousy Dollar for each hour. Things will only getting better, as I see that the issues are being worked on and I am looking forward very much to playing the Soviets now.

Value for money? You bet...

bcgames -> RE: Ongoing debate on value for $ (3/3/2011 5:47:31 AM)

I think I've spent more time with this game than any other Matrix game; it's a puzzle I can't put down.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI