A couple of AT questions (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series

Taygeta -> A couple of AT questions (3/1/2011 3:25:54 PM)

well Jeffery H i finally broke down and got AT! Glad i did. However i do have a few questions and i expect there will be many more.

If i have two formations in the same hex, one is all infantry types and the other is all Armored, will the Infantry support the Armour if that hex is attacked? will the Infantry support the Armour when i am attacking regardless of which formation i select to attack a neighboring hex? Or must i mix Infantry with Armour in the same unit for better effect. I do assign what ever infantry my tanks can carry to my armored formations.

More questions later. My instructor in NCO training used to say that the only stupid question is the one not ask.....?....grinsssss....

Peace, Tay

bwheatley -> RE: A couple of AT questions (3/1/2011 3:58:15 PM)

In combat everything in a hex fights together.

On the attack you have to pick the units you want involved in the attack. So if you don't have the infantry selected to be in the combat they will not be involved.
If you have both the infantry and tanks selected for the attack they will all fight together. A tank in AT can carry 5 infantry so you have to have the numbers match up.

10 infantry require 1 truck/halftrack or 2 tanks or 1 tank and 1 Armored car etc.

Also be sure to check out AT gold when it comes out. It looks like it will be a big improvement on an already awesome game. ;)

Tac2i -> RE: A couple of AT questions (3/1/2011 4:15:01 PM)

Advanced Tactics Gold Edition is a big improvement and even more fun than AT. I'm eager for some ATG PBEM action so I'm really looking forward to its release by Matrix Games.

Tac2i
VR Designs ATG Play Tester

Jeffrey H. -> RE: A couple of AT questions (3/1/2011 7:38:47 PM)

One good thing about the crowd of AT players is that they are generally supportive, whereas in other forums on the Matrix site, many times the players, (and even the devs) are abusive and dismissive. I benefitted from a lot of help and I've had a lot of fun with the game so I guess I try to help others.

On defense it's all units in a hex. Hexes are attacked in a sense, not individual units within a hex. On attack, as bwheatley pointed out, the attacker decides which units participate. Part of the fun of the game for me was figuring out what worked and what didn't work in terms of unit configuration. deciding which SFT's to load a unit up with is part of the fun of the game for me.

There is an indicator in the unit display which indicates the carry state of the unit, also there is an icon in the top right hand corner of the unit display which gives a general indication of the movement type status.

bwheatley -> RE: A couple of AT questions (3/1/2011 9:34:17 PM)

Yea that is super true not as many douchey folks as in some other new game forums. :)

I've never been called a troll here. lol

@webizen we can get a pbem sometime if you want? I'm testing some of my GPW scenario improvements with new engine.

Taygeta -> RE: A couple of AT questions (3/2/2011 1:02:30 AM)

thanks much for your friendly replies. Yes it is nice to find a forum where basic respect still exists. Thanks also for the gentle reminder that part of the game is to do my own homework, and I now realize that advice on personal unit configurations would be something that a possible future opponent would perhaps prefer to be keep rather close to the vest, so to speak. So i will try to confine my questions to the general workings of the games platform.

So when I am attacked in a hex that I occupy with multiple units they will fight together, but what about other of my own hex's next to the attacking ones? Will they also participate in that battle's defense? Seems logical that they would but if not it would make a difference in how i would plan my defensive lines in attempting to avoid, when possible, multiple hex attacks on my own forces?

Does the stack point maximum of 100-300 apply to each individual hex involved in the attack or does it apply to the total hex's that i select for the attack? In other words if i am attacking from,for example, four directions is the SPM 400 for each of the attacking hex's for a total of 1600 SP's?

Peace, Tay

Josh -> RE: A couple of AT questions (3/2/2011 3:19:46 PM)

"...advice on personal unit configurations would be something that a possible future opponent would perhaps prefer to be keep rather close to the vest..."

Well not really, it is a matter of taste, and ... how much can you afford gamewise. In general, Inf units are cheap, use very litle supply, and can be quite powerful in woods and cities. The more fancy units such as Panzers and Aeroplanes can be devastating, but also use a lot of supply. And, it's better to build more small units than a few very powerful ones, because with more units you can defend or reconnoiter more terrain, and encircle more easily.

Units in hexes next to each other don't participate in a defense.

Not sure I quite understand your last question, but here goes; the total stack point maximum depends on the number of hexes you attack from. So attacking from six hexes would imply 300 points total. (and not 6 times 300 = 1.800)

Jeffrey H. -> RE: A couple of AT questions (3/2/2011 7:39:54 PM)

I agree with Josh's comments. FWIW I never pay too much attention to the stacking penalty. I always try to maximize the attacking to defending ratio and the encirclement bonus.

Also Josh makes a good point about quantity and quality. Go for the former and not the latter. Tends to work out better in a general way. Infantry are good for garrison duties because they can dig in, vehicles can't.

Against a human you'll have to keep a keen eye on what your opponents are doing in terms of research and unit configurations. Against the AI you can almost always stick to a formula. This is a little bit of a limiting factor to the game against the AI, and the base game SFT unit depth is not very good. Some of the mods are much better in terms of unit types and depth of the research tree.

Magpius -> Where's the map? (3/7/2011 8:33:05 AM)

The AT gold screenshots, show a similar interface to A.T. (proportionally; panels to map space)

Questions:

• What resolution does the game support?
  • Can you zoom out and still play on a larger map
  • (related to 2) What is the maximum viewable playing map eg: 30 hexes wide, by 20hexes high @1024x768.
While I really enjoyed AT, and all the surrounding information, I often thought much of it was at the expense of map 'real estate'.
Has this improved in the subsequent release?

Image 15 of 18 may have answered part of my question...

Tac2i -> RE: Where's the map? (3/7/2011 12:25:17 PM)

1) resolution: on my desktop machine I play ATG at 1920x1080 without any issues.

2) You can zoom out and still play. You can also zoom in and still play.

3) 21x11 on my 1280x800 laptop; 31x16 on my 1920x1080 desktop

Roy, aka Tac2i
Internal VR Designs Play Tester

Frido1207 -> RE: Where's the map? (3/7/2011 10:40:05 PM)

Hopefully not a stupid question, but will the ai be able to handle the new features (oil etc), or are they mainly introduced to improve the H2H game?

Tac2i -> RE: Where's the map? (3/7/2011 11:15:07 PM)

It is not a stupid question. The AI does handle oil and ore. That said, as in almost every computer wargame I've ever played, the AI has some advantages. Will the AI defeat a skilled human ATG player? Not likely. Will you have fun and learn a lot by playing the AI. My opinion is yes, you would. That said, you will obviously find your greater challenge in H2H PBEM games. If you have lots of free time, get involved in two or three H2H PBEM games at the same time though you may want to start a journal to help you keep track of who is doing what to whom (not to mention who to send the next turn to). One "test" game that I'm currently playing is interesting in that we have four human players and four AI. There is real tension in that game. You find that you are saying to yourself: "Please AI don't declare war on me now, I've got my hands full as is."

quote:

ORIGINAL: th1207

Hopefully not a stupid question, but will the ai be able to handle the new features (oil etc), or are they mainly introduced to improve the H2H game?

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI