1942 Campaign is a Hoot against the AI (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series

pat.casey -> 1942 Campaign is a Hoot against the AI (3/6/2011 12:33:50 AM)

I'm one of those folks frustrated with the 1941 campaign, so I thought I'd take a whack at the 1942 start vs the AI and I have to say I've been having a blast.

Consider that starting in 1942 gives you:

1) No insane German CVs ... finess is required
2) No upcoming uber blizzard
3) A really interesting, tangled start position with lots of opportunities for both sides
4) A "winnable" scenario for the Axis (vs '43, '44, '45 where its just a question of grinding out the clock)

I suspect it may play out differently against a human who might do things like withdraw from some of the silly salients in game and flood the board with forts, but against the AI who likes to stay put on his lines its a really interesting start.

CapAndGown -> RE: 1942 Campaign is a Hoot against the AI (3/6/2011 1:04:11 AM)

the "pride cometh before a fall blau" AAR is playing out this scenario in a HvH match. An interesting situation.

Jaypea -> RE: 1942 Campaign is a Hoot against the AI (3/6/2011 1:21:47 AM)

I edited the 1941 campaign (totally ahistorical) and made an organized soviet defense without blitz turn (start as soviets).   Happy to send to you its a lot of fun and I made it just for that.   The AI does a great job even without the blitz and against an organized defense.  Email me and would be happy to send.

Cheers
John

karonagames -> RE: 1942 Campaign is a Hoot against the AI (3/6/2011 7:30:11 AM)

I have to say I am really enjoying the 1942 campaign as PBEM. The Axis really feels like running an offensive on a shoestring. I too believe that the Axis can get into a position to run out the clock

gids -> RE: 1942 Campaign is a Hoot against the AI (3/6/2011 6:44:14 PM)

im doing atm 1942 against tarhunnas ,hes a good ,i always have to reshift armies behind the lines to fill up holes and keeps the initiative well,im trying to keep him pressed till mud which will give me valuable time

Rafo35 -> RE: 1942 Campaign is a Hoot against the AI (3/7/2011 11:45:10 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigAnorak

I have to say I am really enjoying the 1942 campaign as PBEM. The Axis really feels like running an offensive on a shoestring. I too believe that the Axis can get into a position to run out the clock

Yes, the difference is huge between the German army of 41 and the one of 42. Also the starting position is an incredible mess and it looks like there's no easy solution for the "silly salients" in the north.

That's the first time in wargame I do see a reason for not retreating from the salients even if unable to take advantage of them. That's reaaly good, simulation wise.

delatbabel -> RE: 1942 Campaign is a Hoot against the AI (3/16/2011 6:37:09 AM)

+1. Of all of the campaigns I've played so far (against the AI), 42 is easily my favourite.

MengJiao -> RE: 1942 Campaign is a Hoot against the AI (3/16/2011 2:56:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pat.casey

I'm one of those folks frustrated with the 1941 campaign, so I thought I'd take a whack at the 1942 start vs the AI and I have to say I've been having a blast.

Consider that starting in 1942 gives you:

1) No insane German CVs ... finess is required
2) No upcoming uber blizzard
3) A really interesting, tangled start position with lots of opportunities for both sides
4) A "winnable" scenario for the Axis (vs '43, '44, '45 where its just a question of grinding out the clock)

I suspect it may play out differently against a human who might do things like withdraw from some of the silly salients in game and flood the board with forts, but against the AI who likes to stay put on his lines its a really interesting start.

I too think the 1942 Campaign start is very enjoyable. I made a version where the Russians have not attacked at Kharkov yet (so its April 1942 and both sides have some offensive power).

Anway, I agree the 1942 campaign has a lot going for it for both sides.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI