Thoughts on improving moral system (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem

Pzt_Serk -> Thoughts on improving moral system (3/13/2011 6:22:49 PM)

Hi all,

When playing CCV online, the standard was to play with moral off. There were many reasons for this that I can recall.

Playing with current moral system

First one was that a succesfull player would feel cheated when he could not press his advantage more and maybe clear the whole map but instead end up with at best 3 more isolated VL, simply because the other side’s moral broke.

Another thing I’m not a fan is the allocation of extra VLs after a moral failure. They are often completely isolated from the winner’s deploy and might end up unusable for the next battle because they are surrounded in enemy territory. It also look bad on the map :

[image]http://www.closecombatwar.com/AAR/odenrode1.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.closecombatwar.com/AAR/heumen1.jpg[/image]

Another drawback with the current moral system is that it can be exploited by the defender to stay on a map despite not having the troops to do so. In LSA, Eindoven is the perfect example of this. In my H2H experience, there is no way the german static BG can avoid a disband on the first battle vs an armored BG if the Allies player knows what he is doing. What to do to avoid that disband and delay the allies one more turn? Keep one team far from the enemy and rush all the other teams in front of the enemy so they get killed quickly. Bingo, moral will break and you will lose 3 VL but stay on the map for another turn.

Playing with moral off

On the other side, playing the new release with no moral means that an interesting new feature, the retreat, won’t be used.

Also, when there is no moral, disbands are much more frequent and will usually mean a lost bgs and could have severe consequences for the losing side, as disbanded bgs wont come back.

Another drawback of playing with no moral is that it often results in some unrealistic tactics like all out attacks regardless of losses. All in all, playing with no moral ends up in a more «arcade style» game.

So I was wondering if there could be some kind of middle ground between the current moral system and playing with no moral that could keep the pros and reduce or eliminate the cons.

Here’s an idea:

Instead of having the current VL losses of either 0,1,2 or 3 VLs depending of the moral difference between the two players, we could have either no VL lost because both sides are exhausted, or an automatic retreat off the map for the losing side if the moral difference is greater.

This could help solve the issues I have already pointed out.

When the moral breaks, it should mean a retreat from the map, no matter how many VL you owns. This would penalized player who’s moral break and prevent them from using gamey tactics like the one I’ve described earlier.

Also, the attacking player wouldn’t feel cheated as he gained the control of the map while the situation wouldn’t be so bad for the losing side has the retreat option would apply and his bgs would still be there to fight for another day on another map.

A more severe penalty would also result in the players doing the retreat themselves during battles, if they feel their moral is about to break. They will have to disengage and fall back manually and the other player could engage a pursuit if he is strong enough, thus grabbing those free VL’s he would normally grab automatically with the current moral failure.

In the end, this would actually force a defending player to plan a retreat route for his teams if the need arise, or organize a defense in dept and keep a reserve if he is facing a much stronger attacking opponent, instead of massing all his team right at the front line and expect to lose 3 VL’s at worst.

On the attacking side entering the map, it would not change much from the current situation, as a moral break early already means losing your only VL and being kicked off from the map anyway. If he is much stronger than his opponent, he can still push hard and pursuit the retreating enemy or clear the map thanks to the moral failure if the defender is careless.

So, what do you think? Would it break the game? Is the number of VL losses given when moral breaks moddable or it has to be changed in the .exe? Surely the current moral drop needed for a break should be greater with this proposition, has the consequences are more dramatic?

Fell free to add your suggestions and comments!

Cheers,

Serk

Tejszd -> RE: Thoughts on improving moral system (3/13/2011 6:28:52 PM)

quote:

Here’s an idea: Instead of having the current VL losses of either 0,1,2 or 3 VLs depending of the moral difference between the two players, we could have either no VL lost because both sides are exhausted, or an automatic retreat off the map for the losing side if the moral difference is greater.

Both features already exist in the game.... Maybe they just have to happen easier/more often.

"both sides are exhausted" does happen when both sides are almost equal but one side goes that touch lower for the morale break to occur.

For awarding a map it does happen. Below is picture from testing a mod where I took a single team which I rushed forward resulting in the French AI side being awarded 11 VL's to take the whole map....

[image]local://upfiles/27099/8FE806A37FB74F128BA476841E1FAF56.jpg[/image]

Pzt_Serk -> RE: Thoughts on improving moral system (3/13/2011 6:32:03 PM)

Yes, when the whole force are destroyed, the map is cleared. This is why you need to keep one teamin the rear. Try with more that one units, send 5 crappy teams foward and keep a last one, see what happens

Tejszd -> RE: Thoughts on improving moral system (3/13/2011 6:38:36 PM)

Good point, you did say a team had to be left behind. So it probably could use a tweak as you say....

I do not think your idea would break the game as it is already there but just needs to be refined a bit more....

Pzt_Serk -> RE: Thoughts on improving moral system (3/13/2011 6:43:14 PM)

Thanks for your comments Tejszd,

Do you know if it is moddable?

Tejszd -> RE: Thoughts on improving moral system (3/13/2011 7:08:12 PM)

No, those options are hard coded in the exe. Maybe they could be made a variable in campaign.txt but only the developer could say how easy of a change that would be....

kojusoki1 -> RE: Thoughts on improving moral system (3/13/2011 7:16:40 PM)

I do like the idea that when morale drops, the map is lost and the losing BG retreats. It is a very simple solution and should fix the issue.

xe5 -> Charlie Sheen says ... (3/13/2011 9:50:18 PM)

Im also fed-up and frustrated about how totally unrealistic Force Morale is. When Im winning a map, and I know Im winning because the VL flags and FM meter freakin' tell me Im winning, I want to be able to WIN it all gawdammit. Not have some pu$$y a$$ design feature like Force Morale stop the battle and decide how many more VLs I get to win. And another thing - game timers are for girly men too. If strat turns are 3 hours long then you should have to battle for 3 hours...with no stinkin' bathroom breaks either. And whats with having only 15 team slots. If my battle group has 500 teams in the force pool, I want 500 effing slots to use. And why are there map borders dictating where I can go and where I cant? Thats just out-and-out fascism man. I swear sometimes I think CC really stands for Concentration Camp. I mean come on already, this is the 21st century fer cripes sake!

New house rule - losing player gets bayoneted a little bit...like 4-6 stitches worth. Cuz losers need to bleed and suffer just like in real life.

Andrew Williams -> RE: Charlie Sheen says ... (3/13/2011 9:57:23 PM)

i don't see an issue..just closed minds.

I like the variation in gameplay that FM offers.

My tactics have to change to accommodate a weak opposition but 16 VL's to capture.

So, instead of concentrating on killing sprites I have to adjust and take a more circumspect approach to affected maps/battles.

I really don't want to battle over 64 maps constantly using the same tactics (Bulldoze) to achieve a result

Boer_slith -> RE: Thoughts on improving moral system (3/13/2011 10:11:00 PM)

What I'd like to see is, instead of being awarded isolated VLs, be awarded more empty ground to make the front line more contiguous. How it is now, after a moral victory, next battle you have to string out you troops; leave guys far behind to guard VLs against an attack from that 1 enemy square you missed in your rear. I'd much rather clean out my rear instead of gaining new, isolated ground (ie, on the Hume Bridge map pictured, instead of being giving the lock-house and cross roads VLs, give the allies a bunch of that German territory on the river's east bank). Perhaps this would even allow the AI to concentrate its forces more along the (new) front line instead of fighting piecemeal.

Still, this will not solve moral break denying the winning side the change of taking more ground. With moral on it usually takes me (as allies) 2 or 3 tries to capture valkenswaard, with each battle lasting 5 minutes or less. Without moral I took it the first try, although with heavier losses.

mooxe -> RE: Charlie Sheen says ... (3/13/2011 10:12:57 PM)

Is anyone thinking that Force Morale was created to keep weak battlegroups alive longer and to create an illusion of a stronger AI?

Andrew Williams -> RE: Charlie Sheen says ... (3/13/2011 11:02:30 PM)

quote:

be awarded more empty ground to make the front line more contiguous.

this is supposed to be being worked on... and I don't think the fix is an easy one code wise...  not sure if it is in the 51b patch though.

Andrew Williams -> RE: Charlie Sheen says ... (3/13/2011 11:03:47 PM)

quote:

Is anyone thinking that Force Morale was created to keep weak battlegroups alive longer and to create an illusion of a stronger AI?

I do know it does add depth to the gaming experience both v's the AI and h2h.

emperor peter -> RE: Thoughts on improving moral system (3/13/2011 11:14:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pzt_Serk

Another thing I’m not a fan is the allocation of extra VLs after a moral failure. They are often completely isolated from the winner’s deploy and might end up unusable for the next battle because they are surrounded in enemy territory. It also look bad on the map :

This doesn't bother me that much, attacking troops breaking through a gap in the line risk getting isolated. It's war.

quote:

Another drawback with the current moral system is that it can be exploited by the defender to stay on a map despite not having the troops to do so. In LSA, Eindoven is the perfect example of this. In my H2H experience, there is no way the german static BG can avoid a disband on the first battle vs an armored BG if the Allies player knows what he is doing. What to do to avoid that disband and delay the allies one more turn? Keep one team far from the enemy and rush all the other teams in front of the enemy so they get killed quickly. Bingo, moral will break and you will lose 3 VL but stay on the map for another turn.

One would expect XXX Corps to be delayed by a fight in Eindhoven. I wouldn't play it like this I think, but a good way ensure delaying the Allies.

quote:

When the moral breaks, it should mean a retreat from the map, no matter how many VL you owns. This would penalized player who’s moral break and prevent them from using gamey tactics like the one I’ve described earlier.

Maybe if the diffence in strenght between the two BGs is really big, an immediate retreat would be fair, but keep in mind, there aren't that many maps so loosing one can be big.

quote:

In the end, this would actually force a defending player to plan a retreat route for his teams if the need arise, or organize a defense in dept and keep a reserve if he is facing a much stronger attacking opponent, instead of massing all his team right at the front line and expect to lose 3 VL’s at worst.

I agree here, if you had to consider retreat routes it would make planning a defense more interesting.

mooxe -> RE: Thoughts on improving moral system (3/14/2011 12:52:04 AM)

quote:

Don't we already do this? If you are being attacking by a stronger BG you usually guard an exit VL you you can retreat on the strategic turn. These guarded exit VLs are also your supply routes. If you could retreat off a map while in battle, this strategy wouldnt change.

Pzt_Serk -> RE: Thoughts on improving moral system (3/15/2011 7:20:12 PM)

Hi again,

I've just noticed davidss had proposed something similar in the TLD forum here

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mystic_Snake

This doesn't bother me that much, attacking troops breaking through a gap in the line risk getting isolated. It's war.

Interesting view. Personnaly, I have always associated a moral break as a rout that you have no control of. And as Nappy discovered at Waterloo, you never know when or where a rout will end [;)]

What made me propose this is when I watched the Band of Brothers episiode about the Carentan battle last week-end. When they routed, Germans evacuated the town completly, not just a few blocks and rallied across the street.

quote:

One would expect XXX Corps to be delayed by a fight in Eindhoven. I wouldn't play it like this I think, but a good way ensure delaying the Allies.

Eindoven was just one exemple where the german player, assuming he plays an experienced player, will need a lot of luck to hold for a another turn if you try to preserve your men and conduct delaying action, because the opponent will simply catchup and disband you when he assaults your last position. So it might be just as well to deploy right in front of the ennemy and try to provoque a moral faillure ASAP while keeping a single team behind.

This does note really apply to the bridge maps where, as the german player, you actually need to defend the bridge as long as needed and moral faillure usually means losing it to the allies.

quote:

Maybe if the diffence in strenght between the two BGs is really big, an immediate retreat would be fair, but keep in mind, there aren't that many maps so loosing one can be big.

Yes its a severe penalty, but it could go both ways too. If the attacker suffers enough casualties, he will need to stop his attack by himself or his men would rout and he would get kicked out of the map. In the end, I think it would mean more map movement for both sides, which is not a bad thing IMO.

quote:

I agree here, if you had to consider retreat routes it would make planning a defense more interesting.

The idea is to force the player to assimilate the effect of moral into his gameplay, instead of relying on the game mecanic to take care of it. With a more severe penalty when you rout, a good player would actually try to avoid it and make the adjustement by himself on the battlefield.

Thanks to a more severe penalty, it would probalby be better to lower the moral lvl needed to trigger the moral faillure. Right now it looks like hitting the 28-33% moral lvl is enough to trigger the break. maybe lowering it 20% might avoid it being triggered too often, but when it does, you pay the price.

I make a parallel here with the MG42 lethality thread, where ODDBALL said the fear of the MG42 is just as good as its actual lethality, so act accordingly. I think it should be the same with moral: «Act accordingly to avoid it, or pay the heavy price of an unplanned rout»

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Williams

i don't see an issue..just closed minds.

I like the variation in gameplay that FM offers.

My tactics have to change to accommodate a weak opposition but 16 VL's to capture.

So, instead of concentrating on killing sprites I have to adjust and take a more circumspect approach to affected maps/battles.

I really don't want to battle over 64 maps constantly using the same tactics (Bulldoze) to achieve a result

Judging by the many «FM gifts» you got in your campaign's AAR, I would conclude you where not very succesfull in adapting your tactic [:D]

Joking aside, it takes 2 to tango and even if you plan on avoiding your ennemy, he might dictate you otherwise and force you to engage very soon.

The careless Buldoze tactic that one will often see when playing with no moral is also something I wish to avoid. I would hope that someone that does it would learn after being kicked out of the map a few times because he does not care about casualties and must restart all over again.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Williams

this is supposed to be being worked on... and I don't think the fix is an easy one code wise... not sure if it is in the 51b patch though.

Well that would surely be a good step in the right direction. However, as you admitted yourself, it might not be as simple for the Dev. team to code than the full retreat [:)]

quote:

ORIGINAL: mooxe

quote:

Don't we already do this? If you are being attacking by a stronger BG you usually guard an exit VL you you can retreat on the strategic turn. These guarded exit VLs are also your supply routes. If you could retreat off a map while in battle, this strategy wouldnt change.

Mooxe, my comment was directed at playing with FM on. Of course it depends for each particuliar case, but early FM break could prevent this.

Playing with FM off, on the other hand, somehow forces you to defend your exit route as disbands are always possible before the timer is off, but IMO it has it's own drawback like I described earlier.

This is why I'm trying to figure out if some middle ground concept could be acheived.

To resume quickly, make the FM happen much less often but with a much more severe consequence (retreat off the map). This could be done by reducing the moral lvl needed to trigger the complete rout.

Or, maybe the simpliest solution for the Dev team is to make it moddable [:'(]

Cheers,

STIENER -> RE: Thoughts on improving moral system (3/20/2011 7:55:05 AM)

some good points here.
i think there could be some improvement with the FM issue as well. i like PZT Serks last idea......."make the FM happen much less often but with a much more severe consequence (retreat off the map). This could be done by reducing the moral lvl needed to trigger the complete rout."
i think this would improve the game play.

CSO_Talorgan -> RE: Thoughts on improving moral system (3/23/2011 11:04:59 PM)

quote:

Or, maybe the simpliest solution for the Dev team is to make it moddable

Options are always a good thing.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI