Just Jumped In (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific

Airborne82nd -> Just Jumped In (9/18/2002 7:31:16 AM)

Hi All,
I've just ordered UV, looking forward to it. Been playing wargames/sims for years. Had great fun with Carriers at War, Carrier Strike ,and played Pac War with my cousin and brother--I never did like the Pac War interface, though.

Oh well, now I wait. Ordered the game last Friday from Chips and Bits.

Cya.

Sabre21 -> (9/18/2002 7:38:33 AM)

You will love it. What more can I say:)

What other boards have you been on. I have seen that name elsewhere?

Sabre21

PS: BTW..were you in the 82nd? I was in the old 2-508th Inf back from 74-78 before they became 3-504.

Airborne82nd -> (9/18/2002 7:44:36 AM)

Thanks for the response S21. Yes , I was in Eco 505th (TOW) 3rd Bde from 81-85.

I usually use the handle "Airborne", but it was taken by someone else. I was in the Battleground forum (Combat Mission) , the Microprose B-17 forum and others I am forgetting.

siRkid -> (9/18/2002 9:26:21 AM)

Wait till you get an E-mail game going. I hope you like the tast of finger nails.

Sabre21 -> (9/18/2002 9:30:15 AM)

Just jumped in..har har..I just got the pun. So did you make a proper PLF or was it a PFL:D

I was in flight school in 81-82 and then in the 3ID in germany 83-85. I retired 2 years ago after 26 yrs in. Them were some of my favorite times back in the 82nd.

Sabre21

Sabre21 -> (9/18/2002 9:36:21 AM)

Hi Kid

Orlando...my favorite vacation spot:)

What squadron was VP-56..I'm not up to speed on some of the Navy stuff. I know VF and VMF as naval and marine fighter squadrons, VMA as marine attack...not familiar with VP...let me guess...VP..hmmm...carrier based patrol..makes me think possibly S3 Vikings (ASW). I'm not sure what the helo squadrons used...but my guess would be the S3 squadron.

Sabre21

PS. Now I'll go look it up:)

Admiral DadMan -> (9/18/2002 10:35:14 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kid
[B]Wait till you get an E-mail game going. I hope you like the tast of finger nails. [/B][/QUOTE]I'm down to nubs...

siRkid -> (9/18/2002 5:31:23 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sabre21
[B]Hi Kid

Orlando...my favorite vacation spot:)

What squadron was VP-56..I'm not up to speed on some of the Navy stuff. I know VF and VMF as naval and marine fighter squadrons, VMA as marine attack...not familiar with VP...let me guess...VP..hmmm...carrier based patrol..makes me think possibly S3 Vikings (ASW). I'm not sure what the helo squadrons used...but my guess would be the S3 squadron.

Sabre21

PS. Now I'll go look it up:) [/B][/QUOTE]

Fixed-Wing Patrol Aircraft - ASW, Surveillance, Mine Warfare, Anti-Surface and many others. I flew in the P3-C Orion out of Jacksonville FL. Great plane still in use after 40 years. Many of the VP SQs are in the game but not VP-56 8(. It was not formed until much later.

HARD_SARGE -> (9/18/2002 6:05:27 PM)

Hi Guys
I'm a old Marine from back in 73-77
all this talk about VP, has me wanted to ask a question about how the Navy/Marines name there units

what does V stand for (which I asked that a long time ago while I was in, and got a reply, but it don't really make all that much sense when it comes to squadrons)

Semper Fi, Matey's

HARD_Sarge

tanjman -> What does V stand for? (9/18/2002 8:39:24 PM)

HARD_SARGE,

V stands for "Heavier than Air" to distiguish them from the Air Ships the USN used.

BTW these are the USN/USMC (for USMC put a 'M' after the 'V')WWII squadron designations:

VF = Fighter Squadron
VF(N) = Night Fighter Squadron
VB = Bombing Squadron
VS = Scouting Squadron
VT = Torpedo Squadron
VTB = Torpedo/Bombing Squadron
VC = Composite Squadron
VFP = Photographic Squadron
VP = Patrol Squadron
VO = Obsevation Squadron
VCS = Cruiser Scout Squadron

Page: [1]