Latest Update 1.04? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series

Beruldsen -> Latest Update 1.04? (3/22/2011 6:20:39 PM)

Is there a 1.04 beta update out there...and if so...how do I get it and what's changed?

carnifex -> RE: Latest Update 1.04? (3/22/2011 6:35:47 PM)

No.

karonagames -> RE: Latest Update 1.04? (3/22/2011 7:35:52 PM)

In testing - some very amusing bugs been squashed.

JAMiAM -> RE: Latest Update 1.04? (3/22/2011 9:01:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigAnorak

By "amusing", Bob means that he has a very warped, and cruel sense of humor...[:D]

Reconvet -> RE: Latest Update 1.04? (3/22/2011 9:11:35 PM)

Couldn't you just bring a hotfix toning down interceptions? That's the main one haunting scenarios from turn 1 on. It's really something preventing new starts.

Please bring an interceptions hotfix while you keep working out first blizzard rules, this would at least allow playing 20+ turns without having top divisions bled white by rookie air raids.

karonagames -> RE: Latest Update 1.04? (3/22/2011 9:19:52 PM)

quote:

By "amusing", Bob means that he has a very warped, and cruel sense of humor...

Only because they didn't happen to me.[:D]

Speedysteve -> RE: Latest Update 1.04? (3/22/2011 9:19:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

quote:

By "amusing", Bob means that he has a very warped, and cruel sense of humor...[:D]

Agreed....like 26 hours testing kind of bugs [;)]

Speedysteve -> RE: Latest Update 1.04? (3/22/2011 9:20:36 PM)

quote:

quote:

By "amusing", Bob means that he has a very warped, and cruel sense of humor...

Only because they didn't happen to me.[:D]

If it was our game I could imagine the fireworks [;)]

bdtj1815 -> RE: Latest Update 1.04? (3/23/2011 12:53:29 AM)

quote:

May I ask, as merely a purchaser of this game, what these "amusing" bugs are.

Joel Billings -> RE: Latest Update 1.04? (3/23/2011 1:08:51 AM)

You can see the full list of fixes we're testing now in my 1.04 thread:

1.04 update is here

JAMiAM -> RE: Latest Update 1.04? (3/23/2011 2:02:19 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bdtj1815

quote:

We signed an NDA, which means No, Dont Ask...[;)]

However, I think I can safely say that the community should be proud to have such eagle-eyed testers as ComradeP, who spotted a very serious bug with one of the new features being introduced while observing a game between Speedy and myself. We had to completely restart a game that we had gotten to my (Axis) turn 6...[X(]

PeeDeeAitch -> RE: Latest Update 1.04? (3/23/2011 2:08:56 AM)

I hope the "Nude Hitler Surfing Bug" has been fixed. That one caused me nightmares.

JAMiAM -> RE: Latest Update 1.04? (3/23/2011 2:29:11 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: PeeDeeAitch

I hope the "Nude Hitler Surfing Bug" has been fixed. That one caused me nightmares.

Nope. You'll still need to play the game with an eye patch and monocle to avoid that one...[:D]

bdtj1815 -> RE: Latest Update 1.04? (3/23/2011 2:38:51 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

However, I think I can safely say that the community should be proud to have such eagle-eyed testers as ComradeP, who spotted a very serious bug with one of the new features being introduced while observing a game between Speedy and myself. We had to completely restart a game that we had gotten to my (Axis) turn 6...[X(]

Some people, and possibly you are one, just do not seem to get it!! I am not a Matrix/2by3 insider. I am, though, a very dedicated wargamer and a serious reader of military history with a particular interest in, amongst other periods, the Eastern Front in WWII. When I saw this game I bought it on day one but, disappointingly, it neither lives up to its hype or its price.

I actually visit this forum every day to pick up hints on how to play the game better , and am in the middle of a pbem game, but instead usually read comments about problems people are facing in playing it. I am no computer programmer but, as an amateur historian, I could have found flaws in this "product", as it was sold, in a few hours. Sorry!! I have bought some great games from Matrix, the re-releases of the Tiller games. for example, for which I thank them.

Wild -> RE: Latest Update 1.04? (3/23/2011 3:26:23 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

'When I saw this game I bought it on day one but, disappointingly, it neither lives up to its hype or its price.'

That is your opinion, but i doubt that there are many that would agree with you. Certainly not me.

Mynok -> RE: Latest Update 1.04? (3/23/2011 4:40:11 AM)

He's a whiner. Ignore him.

bdtj1815 -> RE: Latest Update 1.04? (3/23/2011 5:17:06 AM)

I am not a "whiner" just someone who hoped this game would be really great and worth its sale price. But it was flawed on release, still is now after many patches and it seems you cannot accept that. Do I care? No, because I am enjoying playing it but as an accurate depiction of the the Eastern Front in 1941 it falls lar short of its hype.

erichswafford -> RE: Latest Update 1.04? (3/23/2011 6:24:57 AM)

Nah. You're a whiner. Sorry.

This game rocks. I've been playing Eastern Front (i.e. Only Front) wargames since '80 and this one manages to be the most elegant system thus far. It incorporates massive detail but the interface is amazingly easy to use. You can play it like a beer-and-pretzels game or immerse yourself in minutiae. And they are actively refining it into something even more accurate with each revision.

It more than lived up to the hype.

larryfulkerson -> RE: Latest Update 1.04? (3/23/2011 7:16:30 AM)

I read Barbarosa by some British Lord who was "there" and he said that Germany came close to losing the war in the winter of '41.  So I would expect that there would be major problemos experienced by the Axis.  I think maybe the changes coming in the 1.04 patch may even out the strain somewhat to appease the more vocal among us but all things considered it isn't supposed to be "easy" to win as the Axis in this game.  The Axis is supposed to "lose".  My $0.02

berthier -> RE: Latest Update 1.04? (3/23/2011 7:20:19 AM)

Oh oh this could get ugly.

"But it was flawed on release, still is now after many patches"

Well, it
- worked without crashing on release
- it's getting played to death by a lot of people even those who say it is flawed/broken/blizzard is all wrong/ etc etc
- haven't heard of an instance of someone demanding a refund
- it's being updated regularly and supported abundently
- it's a complex piece of software and anyone over 10 should know that that is going to produce some issues...MS Vista anyone?

The main issue appears to be historical accuracy in 1941.
- this is a tough one. What is historical accuracy after all? We don't want a game so straight jacketed it only produces a result that mirrors the 1941 campaign exactly. The decision tree the German OKH/Hitler/Stavks/Stalin used for the first part of the WITE meant thousands, perhaps millions of alternate realities were possible given a different choice here or there, an emphasis on this army group or that one, altered air doctrines, altered tactical doctrines, altered commander appointments, accidental deaths, explosions, altered railroad repair schedules etc ad infinitum. There is no such thing as historical accuracy unless you havent got a game and you are doing a re-enactment.

Can WITE model the result of 1941? Well actually yes it can model the result under certain circumstances. Does it do it to the satisfaction of historical students, that is, does the result occur because the decisions fit historical ones and give outcomes similar to those in history? Possibly not. Does it matter? Depends on whether you are a design for effect gamer or design for historical purity gamer.

Personally I'm a design for effect, I freely admit the game is not "perfect" but at the same time I will argue that I have had my money worths multiple times over, it is fun to play (and that actually matters) and it is getting better each upgrade. To imply it was falsely marketed as something it wasn't is pretty harsh I feel but each to his own.

Rasputitsa -> RE: Latest Update 1.04? (3/23/2011 10:57:13 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
I read Barbarosa by some British Lord who was "there" and he said that Germany came close to losing the war in the winter of '41.  So I would expect that there would be major problemos experienced by the Axis.  I think maybe the changes coming in the 1.04 patch may even out the strain somewhat to appease the more vocal among us but all things considered it isn't supposed to be "easy" to win as the Axis in this game.  The Axis is supposed to "lose".  My $0.02

Obviously the Germans, or more precisely Germany lead by Hitler, lost the war, and many people realised that at the time, but that does not mean the Axis is supposed to lose. If different decisions had been made, then the outcome might have been different.

I would be disappointed if the game only permitted one end, but I don't think it does, there are enough user settings and alternative scenarios in the pipeline, such that we can all try different variants and 'what-ifs'.

The first winter was made much worse by continuing the offensive too long, with priority given to munitions rather than winter equipment. The Germans would still have been unprepared in the Russian winter, with their Western European system, but it didn't have to be as bad as it was.

I am not looking for an easy win for either side, just the chance to try reasonable variations within the historical background, without the game set to play out to a predetermined end.

My $0.10 [:)]

karonagames -> RE: Latest Update 1.04? (3/23/2011 11:03:40 AM)

quote:

The bugs were introduced in the v1.04 test version, and do not exist in the current V1.03.

I apologise for bringing "insider" information into the public forums.

PeeDeeAitch -> RE: Latest Update 1.04? (3/23/2011 2:35:08 PM)

(not insider) Nude Hitler Surfing Bug. It is nasty. Trust me. (/not insider)

Mynok -> RE: Latest Update 1.04? (3/23/2011 4:27:05 PM)

quote:

To imply it was falsely marketed as something it wasn't is pretty harsh I feel but each to his own.

There was no implication whatsoever. It was directly stated that 2x3 marketed it falsely. Such lies need to be called for what they are and those responsible for them roundly abused until they go away. I will never apologize for offending such trash.

pompack -> RE: Latest Update 1.04? (3/23/2011 4:37:13 PM)

Mynok:

You guys are disturbing my serenity!!!

I greenbuttoned this guy weeks ago because each of his posts is cunningly calculated to induce Internet-Rage, raise my blood pressure and induce life-threatening conditions. Respond to him if you must (after all, each of us must exercise our right to respond) but please, please, for the sake of my health and longivity, do not QUOTE him!! At my age I have only so many episodes of Internet-Rage left and I can't aford to waste them on low-grade trolls. [:D]

Mynok -> RE: Latest Update 1.04? (3/23/2011 4:41:03 PM)

I'm with you 100% pompack. He's been green for me since yesterday (my first encounter as I recall).

morganbj -> RE: Latest Update 1.04? (3/24/2011 2:05:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: PeeDeeAitch

That's a myth. he wasn't nude. He was in a thong. I hate the exaggerations on this board.

color -> RE: Latest Update 1.04? (3/24/2011 2:25:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bjmorgan

.... He was in a thong. ...

Are you sure it was not a mankini? (think 'Borat')

LiquidSky -> RE: Latest Update 1.04? (3/25/2011 4:17:17 AM)

And he is going to suffer terribly in the blizzard

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI