RE: OT - Best WWII movie? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames

warspite1 -> RE: OT - Best WWII movie? (11/14/2014 1:10:07 AM)

Yes there is no argument about whether Hitler would have led Germany to war, because we have that answer. Hell the western Allies carved up a country to keep Europe from war - but of course that was of no interest to Hitler.

As for the western powers stepping in - that was not an option in 1933 surely? Hitler was elected leader (sort of) and so there was little justification (re-armament?) for such action. It's only really from 1936 - marching into the Rhineland - onwards that a case becomes available - but then, as you say, the British and French were democracies, their leaders, remembering all too well 20 years before, quite understandably wanted to avoid war.

brian brian -> RE: OT - Best WWII movie? (11/14/2014 1:42:16 AM)

In 33 I think Hitler was a bit of an unknown in the West, and he was elected, somewhat narrowly, iirc, so few would assume there wouldn't be any more elections. And he didn't really reveal his spots much until 1934 I think. The first chance to truly oppose him, externally, is considered the re-occupation of the Rhineland in March, 1936 I believe.

warspite1 -> RE: OT - Best WWII movie? (11/14/2014 1:44:58 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

In 33 I think Hitler was a bit of an unknown in the West, and he was elected, somewhat narrowly, iirc, so few would assume there wouldn't be any more elections. And he didn't really reveal his spots much until 1934 I think. The first chance to truly oppose him, externally, is considered the re-occupation of the Rhineland in March, 1936 I believe.
Warspite1

This post crossed with my edit [:)]

mavraamides -> RE: OT - Best WWII movie? (11/18/2014 6:08:32 PM)

Best:
Band of Brothers
Twelve O'Clock High
Judgment at Nuremberg
The Longest Day
Das Boot
Patton

Extraneous -> RE: OT - Best WWII movie? (11/19/2014 2:22:51 PM)

Here are a few good ones...

Bataan April 4, 1944 Stars: Robert Taylor, George Murphy, Lloyd Nolan Director: Tay Garnett

The Story of Dr. Wassell July 4, 1944 Stars: Gary Cooper, Laraine Day, Signe Hasso Director: Cecil B. DeMille

Command Decision February 1949 Stars: Clark Gable, Walter Pidgeon, Van Johnson Director: Sam Wood

Captain Newman, M.D. December 25, 1963 Stars: Gregory Peck, Tony Curtis, Angie Dickinson Director: David Miller

For complete casts go to the links.

Note: Command Decision came out a year before Twelve O'Clock High.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI