RE: Theoretical Multiplayer Setup (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

Kayoz -> RE: Theoretical Multiplayer Setup (4/9/2011 2:46:52 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: crazy_guy

Hmm Kayo4z I would be much interested in your work experience as you think you are like god here and know much more about anything than all others... Sorry but thats how you sound to me.

I don't generally discuss my professional background on public forums. It's too easy to make false claims and sound authoritative by referring periodically to Wikipedia.

I don't claim to be the great expert. I am simply pointing out the contradictions, errors and untruths in EaglePryde's statements. You want an expert, go to gamedev.net - there's plenty about there. Me? I'm just calling "bullsh*t".

Erik Rutins -> RE: Theoretical Multiplayer Setup (4/9/2011 3:31:43 AM)

Guys, let's keep it friendly please.

Kayoz -> RE: Theoretical Multiplayer Setup (4/9/2011 3:51:57 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Guys, let's keep it friendly please.

Sorry. Understood.

Kayoz -> RE: Theoretical Multiplayer Setup (4/9/2011 6:35:56 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: EaglePryde

9.) ..."The pot calling the kettle black"

To clarify my observation of your statement, please see the Wiki explanation of it. Note, that it is an admission of guilt - that my statements on EaglePryde are correct, but that he claims I am guilty of the same behaviour/characteristics.

He's quite clearly stated that he's in agreement with my statements. How very helpful. Thank-you, EaglePryde, for dispelling any confusion anyone may have had on the issue(s).

Data -> RE: Theoretical Multiplayer Setup (4/9/2011 6:45:51 AM)

Kayoz, you just claimed you understood and now you're back at it? Stop trying to pick a fight with everyone, don't you have enough to deal with in real life? Relax.

Kayoz -> RE: Theoretical Multiplayer Setup (4/9/2011 6:49:14 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Data

Kayoz, you just claimed you understood and now you're back at it? Stop trying to pick a fight with everyone, don't you have enough to deal with in real life? Relax.

I'm being friendly!

Data -> RE: Theoretical Multiplayer Setup (4/9/2011 6:55:16 AM)

Try harder, it's not enough....a provocation is still a provocation, even if strong words are not used.

Kayoz -> RE: Theoretical Multiplayer Setup (4/9/2011 6:57:29 AM)

quote:

Try harder, it's not enough....a provocation is still a provocation, even if strong words are not used.

You're correct. It was beneath me. Just too much of a temptation to resist when he makes such a clear admission of guilt. I'll stop now.

EaglePryde -> RE: Theoretical Multiplayer Setup (4/9/2011 11:01:47 AM)

That's true and i true have to say i have been carried away.

For those who are into true programming and know what i'm talking about regarding COBOL it should prove interessting to know that
many companies still run old machines. That's why Linux programming is such a loved thing because doing something for a machine that has a couple of "kb" memory wouldn't go well any other way.

Many think that modern computers are the only devices that run programms or that older machines have no validity but that's very much wrong.
Next time someone goes into a supermarket they might even ask themselfs if the terminals that are used for processing the stuff you buy, have been programmed using something higher than the least demanding and most flexible programms like linux or COBOL. And why exchange over a thousand such machines against more modern one's when you wouldn't get any benefit.

Although C++ and similar are compared with "low level" programming, there is an even lower level. Modern languages have tons of librarys you basicly use while in the beginning you'd have to even programm a simple "space" yourself. Such techniques are still used for the reason above. Most "kids" who are fresh out of school don't have those deep insights anymore and are regarded less programmes and more a person who is given puzzle pieces to put together in the eyes of older guys like me. Sure they make brilliant stuff but their attitude is very much..oh well.

That's why i value the "old" things. Nothing wrong about it. Programming is not about "what is the best language or the most powerfull" but the one who suits your needs the most.

It's like comparing DW with Sins or even Crysis 2. Sure DW is less demanding and doesn't use state if the art visuals...and why should it. It doesn't need something "better".

In the end. What's more powerfull..the very first programming language or the last. The later are just an extension over the old, like adding books to a library. Nothing changes because the very core is always the same. A "space" youd have to programm in the old days is done for you by a button press that has the same routine behind it as is was in the old days.

----------
Although it would be far easier for me to talk and write in my native language it surprises me that a difference in speech is sometimes missused to tailor answers to someone owns benefit without being correct nor honoring standard board rules. This is where i sure won't make the same mistake again. I'd rather look like a lier than going below the bottom line in answering to such replies and that's why i'll quit giving any answers to such false statements as the last.
----------

Kayoz -> RE: Theoretical Multiplayer Setup (4/9/2011 2:45:01 PM)

You've already posted your admission to your lack of knowledge in this area. Why are you persisting?

quote:

That's true and i true have to say i have been carried away.

For those who are into true programming and know what i'm talking about regarding COBOL it should prove interessting to know that
many companies still run old machines. That's why Linux programming is such a loved thing because doing something for a machine that has a couple of "kb" memory wouldn't go well any other way.

Linux is an OS, not a language. You're confusing the two. Linux programming? You might as well say Amstrad or Babbage engine programming.

quote:

Many think that modern computers are the only devices that run programms or that older machines have no validity but that's very much wrong.

Who said this? You're pulling up a completely random statement which has no bearing on the discussion. You might as well say something about the Babbage engine for all the relevance it would have to this thread of discussion.

quote:

Next time someone goes into a supermarket they might even ask themselfs if the terminals that are used for processing the stuff you buy, have been programmed using something higher than the least demanding and most flexible programms like linux or COBOL. And why exchange over a thousand such machines against more modern one's when you wouldn't get any benefit.

Linux is an OS - it is not a program as you have incorrectly identified it as. It's no more "a program" than DOS. Neither is COBOL a program - it's a programming language. As for them being "least demanding and flexible" - I fail to see how a COBOL coded program is more efficient than an equally competently well written C program. And flexible - let's see you make direct hardware calls in COBOL.

quote:

Although C++ and similar are compared with "low level" programming, there is an even lower level.

If you want really low level, go asm or do it binary in machine code. That's about as low level as you can go. C is readable assembly, and C++ is C with some syntactic sugaring and VTables - push comes to shove, C++ is just tarted up C.

COBOL on the other hand is quite high level in comparison to C, C++ and asm. You give up control for being able to do in one line in COBOL what you might take 20 or more in C - but at the cost that you can't optimize what's being done as well as in C, and it's a nightmare to do anything that's outside COBOL's design. Good luck writing an anti-virus scanner in COBOL. Equally, generating a stock report based on the last week's transactions can be a nightmare in C. Different languages, different purposes for which they were designed. I've already pointed that out. Is there a reason you're covering the exact same ground I did? How is your statement supposed to progress the discussion?

quote:

Modern languages have tons of librarys you basicly use while in the beginning you'd have to even programm a simple "space" yourself.

Program a "space"? What the heck are you on about now?

Yes, most languages can call on external libraries, allowing them to use 3rd party generated functionality. What's new about this? Anyone who's written "hello world" will know this. These libraries come at a cost, however - financial cost and technical limitations in that if the library is buggy or incapable of doing what you want it to do, you'll have to go back to coding it yourself. 3rd party libraries are not a panacea for all a programmer's ills.

quote:

Such techniques are still used for the reason above. Most "kids" who are fresh out of school don't have those deep insights anymore and are regarded less programmes and more a person who is given puzzle pieces to put together in the eyes of older guys like me. Sure they make brilliant stuff but their attitude is very much..oh well.

What techniques? You identifed "programming a space" as a "programming technique". What "technique" is this?

You're making less sense with each sentence.

quote:

That's why i value the "old" things. Nothing wrong about it. Programming is not about "what is the best language or the most powerfull" but the one who suits your needs the most.

I said that. You're repeating what I said for.... what reason?

quote:

It's like comparing DW with Sins or even Crysis 2. Sure DW is less demanding and doesn't use state if the art visuals...and why should it. It doesn't need something "better".

Now what are you on about? DW and Crysis are two completely different games. Different genre, different focus, different audience. Of course they're different. You might as well be saying "a tomato and an onion are different".

quote:

In the end. What's more powerfull..the very first programming language or the last. The later are just an extension over the old, like adding books to a library. Nothing changes because the very core is always the same. A "space" youd have to programm in the old days is done for you by a button press that has the same routine behind it as is was in the old days.

What???? Languages are tools to accomplish a task (programming), not books in a library. They aren't references, they aren't repositories of information. I have no idea where you got that analogy.

As for button pressing, that's a matter of the compiler, not necessarily the language. Keep the language the same, but change the compiler and you can get very different operations happening. A keyboard interrupt on a 8086 machine running DOS will be VERY different from one on an Amiga, a mobile phone or a NLM.

You're mixing up languages with compilers with hardware platforms.

Webbco -> RE: Theoretical Multiplayer Setup (4/9/2011 3:02:53 PM)

Resist....RESIST!![sm=duel.gif]

Kayoz -> RE: Theoretical Multiplayer Setup (4/9/2011 3:10:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webbco

Resist....RESIST!![sm=duel.gif]

I'm resisting the urge to flame him. I'm being (for a given value of) good.

J HG T -> RE: Theoretical Multiplayer Setup (4/9/2011 3:12:23 PM)

[image]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_GkzIp67B66s/THoEzmMQe7I/AAAAAAAABg4/4hSN9w24arI/s1600/182832-quadruple_facepalm_super.jpg[/image]

Just drop it Kayoz and walk away. Walk away and continue your life.

Data -> RE: Theoretical Multiplayer Setup (4/9/2011 3:16:38 PM)

That would be impossible, can you imagine it happening? [:)]

J HG T -> RE: Theoretical Multiplayer Setup (4/9/2011 3:18:25 PM)

Easily.

Kayoz -> RE: Theoretical Multiplayer Setup (4/9/2011 3:20:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: J HG T

Just drop it Kayoz and walk away. Walk away and continue your life.

[image]http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/demotivators/giveupdemotivationalposter.jpg[/image]

I think this might get your message across better... yes?

J HG T -> RE: Theoretical Multiplayer Setup (4/9/2011 3:25:18 PM)

Probably. There's just so many great Failure motivationals on the net that not using them would be criminal. Also, I love Smash Bros. series.
Anyway, I hope you got the point.

Webbco -> RE: Theoretical Multiplayer Setup (4/9/2011 4:27:07 PM)

[image]http://ownednfail.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/minesweeper.jpg[/image]

Kayoz -> RE: Theoretical Multiplayer Setup (4/9/2011 5:28:49 PM)

quote:

Probably. There's just so many great Failure motivationals on the net that not using them would be criminal. Also, I love Smash Bros. series.
Anyway, I hope you got the point.

I? You used "I"????

J HG T -> RE: Theoretical Multiplayer Setup (4/9/2011 5:53:33 PM)

So? People use "I" when they refer to themselves in english language, as swedish use "jag" and as finnish use "minä".
You sure are funny guy Kayoz. [:)]

Kayoz -> RE: Theoretical Multiplayer Setup (4/9/2011 6:21:19 PM)

quote:

So? People use "I" when they refer to themselves in english language, as swedish use "jag" and as finnish use "minä".
You sure are funny guy Kayoz. [:)]

You always use "we" - "We approve", for example. It seemed uncharacteristic.

Webbco -> RE: Theoretical Multiplayer Setup (4/9/2011 6:42:37 PM)

Kayoz, J GH T was right with the "I". This thread doesn't make sense any more....[&:]

Kayoz -> RE: Theoretical Multiplayer Setup (4/9/2011 6:45:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webbco

Kayoz, J GH T was right with the "I". This thread doesn't make sense any more....[&:]

No no no - if you read J GH T's posts, he always uses "we" - I suppose it's a Star Trekky Borg thing. First time I've seen him use "I".

J HG T -> RE: Theoretical Multiplayer Setup (4/9/2011 6:56:07 PM)

It's kinda a inside joke, Kayoz. Refers to hive-minds, group-minds, conjoiners and other similar societys in SciFi.
Examples: the Geth in Mass Effect, the Advent in Sins and hive-minds in DW. I find the concept both fascinating and scary. But still mostly fascinating.
Also, always means 100% all the time, and I clearly don't use "we" always. Pay attentation.

Data -> RE: Theoretical Multiplayer Setup (4/9/2011 7:32:24 PM)

J's right, I also noticed him using we in particular situations and not all the time....just as he uses aye in particular situations and not all the time.
But this is just a tactic to divert the subject, distract attention....and I'm not referring to J
In the end Webbco is right, this is a pointless pattern - attacking and diverting; nothing but hollow rhetoric

J HG T -> RE: Theoretical Multiplayer Setup (4/9/2011 7:42:03 PM)

Aye!
And apologies from my part for continuing this kinda pointless conversation. We shall punish ourselves by abstaining from playing DW for a day.
Will not (probably) happen again.

Kayoz -> RE: Theoretical Multiplayer Setup (4/9/2011 7:46:42 PM)

quote:

In the end Webbco is right, this is a pointless pattern - attacking and diverting; nothing but hollow rhetoric

Divert? I noticed a deviation in J's referrals to himself - I thought it was amusing that he always used "we" - and this was the first instance I've noticed that he's used, "I". Are you suggesting I should start a new thread to query it?

Data -> RE: Theoretical Multiplayer Setup (4/9/2011 7:57:57 PM)

I'm finished here, do whatever pleases you...and doesn't affect others in a negative way.
I'll have to abstain two days now....but someone has to defeat the dominators anyway [:)]

EaglePryde -> RE: Theoretical Multiplayer Setup (4/9/2011 7:58:30 PM)

stop missusing threads where you clearly don't have any kind of knowledge other than your poor ego

Kayoz -> RE: Theoretical Multiplayer Setup (4/9/2011 9:56:03 PM)

quote:

stop missusing threads where you clearly don't have any kind of knowledge other than your poor ego

Considering that you don't know the difference between a program and an operating system, you can probably figure out how dearly I hold your opinion.

Kid, I've kicked about everything you've thrown into this thread, out of the park. I've shown almost every statement you've made to be false, misleading or completely senseless. And in the end, you've admitted that you're wrong. And now you're back for more. Why are you continuing this masochistic behaviour?

Perhaps Data disagrees with my methods and thinks I'm not being terribly "nice" in my dealings with you - but then again my objective isn't to be "nice". If you could come up with something that was insightful or new, then you'd probably find me more pleasant - but for some unknown reason, you insist on debating an issue which you know little or nothing about. Maybe he feels sorry for you - but I don't. I haven't put a gun to your head and forced you to write - any entry here is entirely your choice.

So choose what you want to do now.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI