If you have time I would appreciate your time (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series

Ericw43 -> If you have time I would appreciate your time (4/15/2011 9:05:06 PM)

Hello,

I have been considering the purchase of Advanced Tactics or Decisive Campaigns for the past few days. Now that ATG has been released I am considering ATG or Decisive Campaigns:)

I beleive that Decisive Campaigns follows a more rigid historical TOE, campaigns and scenarios (which really appeals to me). But
ATG allows for hours of replayability, modifications and user made content.

As far as gameplay, I do not know. Which is why I would like your advice when you have time.
Both titles appear to be operational. Is one games engine more tactical than the other?
For example, are units divisions and corps in size or battalion and regimental?
Do both games offer the user research and development paths to upgrade technologies?
Is the AI scripted or does it make decisions and reactions based upon the users gameplay?

I thank you for your time and hopefully will make a decison based upon your comments and reccomendations.

Have fun! and thank you,
Eric

Tac2i -> RE: If you have time I would appreciate your time (4/15/2011 9:27:18 PM)

Both games are good and if you enjoy historically detailed campaigns, DC is a good choice for the WWII years 1939/1940. There is some replayability built into DC with various options. Neither game at the unit level is corp based. Neither game is tactical in the sense that line of sight is involved. I would term both games operational. The AI in DC is very good from what I've read. The AI in ATG does a reasonable job of giving you a good fight.

Only ATG offers research, upgrades, randomly generated games, lots of user made scenarios (with included game editor). The AI is not scripted in standard random games but some custom made scenarios do script the AI to some degree. From my play testing of ATG, the AI can be relentless. It will come at you and keep on coming until you stop it. It will do its best to defend its cities and resource hexes. That said, a good human player should be able to defeat a single AI opponent most of the time. The key to getting the best from the AI in a random game I've written about elsewhere but will restate here:

1) Allow it the first move
2) Let it declare war first (after 4-5 turns, you can declare war if it hasn't). Note: If you play with the 1 Town Start option enabled, all players are at war.
3) Play against 2 to 3 AI at the same time, more if you are really brave.

Overall I've give ATG the nod but that is me. For me the replayability of random games is a big positive. The fact that users are constantly turning out new scenarios is a good point also. ATG also has some user created historical scenarios. If your game budget can afford it, get them both. They are basically blood brothers as they use similar game engines and  both come from the same game desinger.

Max 86 -> RE: If you have time I would appreciate your time (4/15/2011 9:30:32 PM)

There are variations in game mechanics but the two are more alike than not. If you want to explore in detail the German campaign in France then DC is your cup of tea. Pick up some good literature on the period from Guderian onward and play simultaneously. Its quite interesting.

If you want wide open wargame with flexible scales, eras, outer space-inner space, WW2 to ancient rome type engine, then ATG is the way to go. There is a scenario bank somewhere on Vic's site with a wide array of scenarios. Check it out. Also ATG has the random game generator which never gets old .

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI