How to smash throught the soviet line? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room

JocMeister -> How to smash throught the soviet line? (4/16/2011 6:28:31 PM)

Playing against the AI I had no problems breaking their line in 41. But now in 42 I find the soviet line packed 3-4 unit deep wherever my panzers are near. I guess its hard to avoid since the AI isnīt under FOW rules. But how to I penetrate the line?

I canīt do it with infantry since they lack the MP to dislodge the soviets. Routs are very few and even if I use a panzerarmee to blast a hole the AI quickly fill the line again by next turn.

Any help would be of use since Iīm basically stuck with advancing 1 hex per turn atm :)

molchomor -> RE: How to smash throught the soviet line? (4/16/2011 6:43:33 PM)

Against the AI in '42 ?

A: Forget it and look elsewhere for a gap/weakness in their line. Try to keep your panzers some hexes from their front to "hide" them and to maximize their MPs. And remember not to do very wide/deep encirclements as in some of the AARs as against the AI you can well have 20-100 units being teleported in the next turn (even int contested hexes) that will chew up your spearheads. That is in addition to the units the AI will rail in of course.

PeeDeeAitch -> RE: How to smash throught the soviet line? (4/16/2011 6:44:26 PM)

Against the AI? My solution is the "2-Panzer Army Sledgehammer" technique. One panzer army, in groups of stacked corps, attacks the 2nd and third (and fourth if there) lines - the first is for the infantry - while the 2nd exploits deeply. If the AI pulls back, you have more fluid front lines. If the AI doesn't pull back you can use the next turn to get an encirclement.

A variation is the "side by side" where you do the 2-Army attack with all four panzer armies and meet up for the encirclement. Make sure all exploits/breakthroughs are at least 3 hexes wide.

JocMeister -> RE: How to smash throught the soviet line? (4/16/2011 7:19:21 PM)

Thanks for the advice! Will give it a try for my autumnoffensive :)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI