Strategic use of natural hazards? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room

Undecided -> Strategic use of natural hazards? (4/26/2011 3:09:50 AM)

So I'm curious: has anyone attempted or successfully pulled off using a natural hazard (supernova, black holes, etc) in a military situation?

One idea I've always wanted to try placing a star base with a gravity well projector beside a black hole, and pull an enemy fleet out of warp right in the black hole radius. [:D] Or, alternatively, using a supernova's shield draining effect to wipe out hordes of smaller ships. Unfortunately, I myself could pull these tricks off; the AI seems to overwhelmingly favor attacking planetary systems over lone bases. Has anyone had any better luck baiting the enemy to natural disasters, or otherwise using them to turn the tide of a battle?

Data -> RE: Strategic use of natural hazards? (4/26/2011 5:35:18 AM)

I've not tried it mainly because you'd need that anomaly to be in a good place to be used; otherwise the AI will ignore it. For BH for example the scattered pattern of ships exiting hyperwarp would mean that only some of them will actually get caught in the BH's event horizon; maybe with the supernova we can have better luck.
Once I lead an enemy squadron into an ambush in a storm baiting them with a heavily shielded ship of mine, but that happened to be at hand atm.

If asteroid fields would have some speed modifiers or other dangerous effects we could use them as they are more frequent in proper places for traps.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI