Battalion HQs (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Combat Command Series

PirateJock -> Battalion HQs (5/6/2011 12:21:32 PM)

It seems strange that while the game is set at the Company level there are only Division and Regiment HQs. I would have thought that, with respect to command structure, there should also be Battalion HQs. Anybody know why we don't have them?

Cheers

PirateJock -> RE: Battalion HQs (5/16/2011 5:19:41 PM)

Bump [:)]

Anybody think this would be useful? Or know why the game doesn't have HQs at the Battalion level?

Cheers

Fred98 -> RE: Battalion HQs (5/16/2011 10:57:39 PM)

I agree with you. I can make a guess.

Often artillery is controlled at the divisional level.

If the game had Company, Battallion, Regiment Divisional HQs there would be too many on the map.
-

PirateJock -> RE: Battalion HQs (5/16/2011 11:16:41 PM)

I was only really thinking of the need for Battalion HQs - they'd be the controlling HQ for combat. The Reg HQ would be able to provide support elements for attachment to its Battalions, while Division, as you say, would be mainly for the artillery.

Battalion HQs would also make the OOB easier to manage; I spend an amount of time trying to keep the companies of each battalion together when sending them off to do my bidding :)

Cheers

Obsolete -> RE: Battalion HQs (5/20/2011 3:13:42 PM)

I believe the only person who really knows would be Dave Erickson, who was the original game designer (I think!)

I'm guessing it was to keep things simple, and not having to hear players complain how his game isn't a war-game at all, but a command & control grind of horror, haha.

To be honest, there are a few question I would like to have found out myself, some of the differences of nationalities.

For example, Germans get a 10% advantage on infiltration.
Americans have to do an extra QC when trying to get a +1 col-shift with their tanks.
The allies get double the value of max artillery combined in a single attack.

The last one really makes me think. I am guessing it had to do with differing doctrines at the time.

PirateJock -> RE: Battalion HQs (7/4/2011 1:13:29 PM)

Resurrected to see if Michael can shed some light on the decision to not have battalion HQs.

Cheers

Obsolete -> RE: Battalion HQs (7/9/2011 12:57:05 AM)

Well, while we are ressurecting this thread then, I'm wondering why HQ's have a limit of at least 3 companys when I am re-assigning my OOB structure. I've seen scenarios where an HQ can enter the field with just two tank companies for example... 

Tim Coakley -> RE: Battalion HQs (7/9/2011 9:37:40 PM)

I don't think we will get an original game design answer on this.

Tim

PirateJock -> RE: Battalion HQs (7/11/2011 12:40:54 PM)

Hi Tim

Maybe not an original design answer, but I was just wondering if Michael had any insights from when he was coding the game.

I'm still thinking it'd be a useful addition. Better to have the command status of frontline combat units linked to a Battalion HQ rather than Regimental HQ. Generally the actual combat to achieve Regiment objectives was controlled at Battalion level rather than Regiment.

Cheers

sabre1 -> RE: Battalion HQs (7/20/2011 8:34:52 PM)

I want to know what happens when you lose an HQ?

Fred98 -> RE: Battalion HQs (7/20/2011 11:22:13 PM)

I read somewhere that the HQ reappears. I would like to see that confirmed.

I presume it would reappear near a map edge. And that is't units are probably some distance away and probably out of command radius.
-

sabre1 -> RE: Battalion HQs (7/20/2011 11:29:04 PM)

Units should be out of supply?

Fred98 -> RE: Battalion HQs (7/21/2011 2:44:05 AM)

We seem to have learnt that supply is not based upon the distance so no. It seems that on;y rivers can stop supply.

-

-

sabre1 -> RE: Battalion HQs (7/21/2011 5:03:59 AM)

ahhh dang...PJ knows why...

PirateJock -> RE: Battalion HQs (7/21/2011 10:50:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sabre1
ahhh dang...PJ knows why...

We can find out tonight when I play my next turn [;)]

Obsolete -> RE: Battalion HQs (7/22/2011 3:01:09 AM)

You will be assigned a new HQ counter yes... the problem is the HQ will never have a higher leadership rating than its predecessor... On the other hand.. it COULD end up being lower. :P

PirateJock -> RE: Battalion HQs (7/25/2011 1:11:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Obsolete
You will be assigned a new HQ counter yes... the problem is the HQ will never have a higher leadership rating than its predecessor... On the other hand.. it COULD end up being lower. :P

And that's just what happened ... plus it was at Disruption Level 4 and Dispersed! On the positive, it was closer to it's subordinate units - it was created in the same hex as one of them.

Cheers

Obsolete -> RE: Battalion HQs (7/30/2011 12:58:17 AM)

You know, a thought has just occured to me. If a person decided to just throw his HQ around half-hazzardly without a care in the world, (because he expects free replacements) then he risks getting a progressively worse one each time the replacement spawns. However, if he's already at a -2 leadership rating (or started with one), it does seem he has nothing to really lose :P

There's a few other oddities with HQs that I can think of also...

kankn -> RE: Battalion HQs (9/9/2011 9:16:40 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

We seem to have learnt that supply is not based upon the distance so no. It seems that on;y rivers can stop supply.

-

-

Coach Outlet|Coach Handbags|Coach Bags

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI