My pet peves on SPWAW (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

Gary Tatro -> My pet peves on SPWAW (10/2/2002 10:00:41 PM)

Ok here they are, does anyone else agree?

Jim1954 -> (10/2/2002 10:46:41 PM)

I have to deal with computers and ugghh (end users , some of which defy belief) all day. In this world you just have to put up with the problems that come with it. I have been having more CTD's since I installed MCWT ,though. If I get PO'ed at one mega or campaign I'll just usually start up a different one, unless I look at the clock. Maybe matrix could install a switchable on/off pop up window in CL that displays the time of day?lol.:D

Omegaunit -> (10/2/2002 10:46:56 PM)

Actually, SPWAW has never crashed except once when i installed the H2H mod so im really pleased by it

on the other hand i look at the clock only to realise its's 4 am
all too often

Jacc -> What's wrong with these people? (10/2/2002 11:29:13 PM)

Look at them! They are willingly skipping a session of SPWAW in order to "sleep", "eat" or "work". Why not to play the entire night, quit your job and continue playing?
They are no true wargamers.

Jim1954 -> (10/2/2002 11:31:21 PM)

I would gladly adopt your outlook on this subject. Can you tell me how to fund it?

mogami -> SPWAW Funding (10/3/2002 12:02:20 AM)

Greetings, Marry a rich widow woman. (or two)

Jim1954 -> (10/3/2002 12:10:05 AM)

Think I'd rather just win the lottery.

ivantheterrible -> VERY funny poll (10/3/2002 4:16:05 AM)

Gary, thanks for this FUNNY poll! I cracked up when I reached the last selection (which is what I voted for) :D

Jacc -> (10/3/2002 4:45:05 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jim1954
[B]I would gladly adopt your outlook on this subject. Can you tell me how to fund it? [/B][/QUOTE]

Fund? What does that mean? Just kill someone and claim his property. That's what I did.

Figmo -> Re: SPWAW Funding (10/3/2002 5:49:35 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mogami
[B]Greetings, Marry a rich widow woman. (or two) [/B][/QUOTE]

LMAO - Now that's a plan!!!

In my musician days we called that "Blue Money" - without the getting married part - just live with them for a while.

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> (10/3/2002 6:06:28 AM)

I must be odd cause I play a turn then turn it off and do something else a while then maybe play a turn an hour later.

And hmm finally figured out CTD (man I hate net abbreviations)
Crash to desktop.

Nope that never happens to me with Steel Panthers (any version).

Might be because I am using XP, or it might be my sound and video being onboard and lame, are not odd enough to annoy Steel Panthers.

I have some games that don't like XP and I run them in a secondary OS on a secondary drive.

But I have found that a game either installs and runs, or it doesn't install and therefore not running it becomes academic.

Irinami -> (10/3/2002 6:13:48 AM)

SP:WAW (or most any other program, for that matter) has only crashed on me when I should have known better (eg, graphic editing while playing, compiling while playing, etc).

On the other hand, there have been plenty of times when I told myself, "10PM, then I quit." I finally look up and it's 2AM. :mad: I'll have to look for that anime alarm clock I saw...

Bernie -> (10/5/2002 8:51:26 AM)

For me it's more like:

Look at the clock and it's 8am...and you had to be at work at 6am.

(Fortunately, I'm my own boss...but I may have to fire myself soon if this keeps up!)

KG Erwin -> The votes are overwhelmingly... (10/5/2002 9:55:22 AM)

...towards the addictiveness of this game. Look, I've spent hours just selecting core forces, trying to find the right mix and thinking forward to future upgrades, etc etc etc... Going through a long campaign and getting all out of sorts when one of your elite units gets annihilated (ouch!). You really get (or I do) concerned about the health and training of the men under your command, which is everything a great tactical wargame SHOULD do. In this aspect, apart from the sheer enjoyment and technical aspects, is the intangibility factor. You ARE part of the combat force, and these virtual soldiers (I usually assign my own names to the unit commanders) develop an identity after a number of battles--you know who can depend on to take that bunker complex, and who to keep on the quieter sectors. Close Combat gives you this feeling, too, (on a smaller level) but that's what attracts me to SPWaW--I'm a battalion commander, and I have access to regimental and divisional air/artillery assets (sometimes) , and I'm responsible for the well-being of up to a thousand men, more or less. It's this, for me: after 5 or 6 battles in a campaign, your guys are in a desparate spot, but you are the commander, and your men are relying on you to make the right decisions. These are the moments you play for, and test your ability to triumph over adversity. To have a game evoke these feelings within the player is a testament to the game's greatness and its ability to draw you in to the mindset of a combat commander.

Irinami -> (10/5/2002 10:02:34 AM)

Someone else anguishes over sending his little men to their deaths too! I'm not alone! :D

KG Erwin -> (10/5/2002 10:41:03 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Irinami
[B]Someone else anguishes over sending his little men to their deaths too! I'm not alone! :D [/B][/QUOTE] Yeah, bud. Rule number 1 in SPWAW combat: overwhelming firepower=lives saved. This rule has become a mantra in current US military thinking, and it also applies to this game. When selecting support forces for campaign games, I go for heavy artillery--period. Don't waste your time with air assets unless you want some on-board recon of rear-area enemy positions. In statistical studies of WWII battles, the bottom line is: artillery is the killer. According to Jim Dunnigan, in "How To Make War", artillery accounted for 58% of all casualties. Considering the scale of SPWaW, I would venture to guess that MGs accounted for most of the rest of infantry losses. In this way, you could say that , in terms of method of casualties inflicted, it wasn't much different than the conditions of WWI, the presence of tanks & aircraft notwithstanding.

Capt. Pixel -> (10/6/2002 4:53:22 AM)

Yeah, me too. But I try to remember an old adage: "You have to break a few eggs to make an omlette". Maybe that's why I dislike cooking so much. ;)

But I voted for opponents disappearing off the face of the planet near the end game. This has happened all to often (and usually when I'm succeeding in handing them their arses)

What's so difficult in offering a surrender? Just lay your 'King' over and concede - and then start up the next game with a brand spankin' new set of toys. :D

Irinami -> (10/6/2002 5:17:27 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KG Erwin
[B]... According to Jim Dunnigan, in "How To Make War", artillery accounted for 58% of all casualties. Considering the scale of SPWaW, I would venture to guess that MGs accounted for most of the rest of infantry losses.[/B][/QUOTE]

I think that's factually true, as well--IIRC, it went Arty most deadly, followed by the MG.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Capt. Pixel
[B]Yeah, me too. But I try to remember an old adage: "You have to break a few eggs to make an omlette". Maybe that's why I dislike cooking so much. ;)[/B][/QUOTE]

Master Sun says the commander should not be too concerned for the lives of his men, lest his hesitancy cost him even more.

troopie -> (10/6/2002 9:12:44 AM)

I try to maintain detachment. But sometimes it is impossible. I remember saying to three regiments of French infantry at the battle of Medola in AOR, "Sorry boys, I'm going to have to send you back into the line." They had taken horrible casualties driving the Austrians out of Casciato, and now were skeletons of their former selves. But the Austrians were counterattacking, the town was important and these three regiments were the only units in the way. I remember I had tears in my eyes when I said it.

Seeing a platoon of marines out by the Japanese. They held the enemy up long enough for me to save the day.

troopie

AbsntMndedProf -> (10/11/2002 9:05:08 AM)

My pet peeve would actually be the fact that jets are not available for regular play vs AI. Two Tiger-Maus were built, and they are available. Towards the end of the war there were as many as 250 ME-262s opperating in the ETO at any given time, and they're not! :rolleyes:

Eric Maietta

Gary Tatro -> (10/11/2002 7:29:19 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AbsntMndedProf
[B]My pet peeve would actually be the fact that jets are not available for regular play vs AI. Two Tiger-Maus were built, and they are available. Towards the end of the war there were as many as 250 ME-262s opperating in the ETO at any given time, and they're not! :rolleyes:

Eric Maietta [/B][/QUOTE]
Jets are available to the British. I have played a pBEM game with them it was set in 1948 I believe. I was able to purchase Vipers I think they were called. Speed of 25 I believe and carried two 1600 pound booms. Nice.:eek: Splash damage out to 4 hexes. :D

Gary Tatro -> Interesting statistics (10/11/2002 7:47:02 PM)

So far I have had 43 votes on my servey. 4 votes relating to Mega-campaigns, 8 votes relating to PBEM games and 31 votes relating to the adictivness of SPWAW in general. So through complexed mathamatical extrapolation I have come up with this thesis.
1) 10% of the SPWAW community has purchased and actually played the Mega-Campaigns. I would think they would be more AAR's. :( (Hey by the way go read mine in the Mega-campaign forum)

2) 19% of the SPWAW community plays SPWAW by PBEM on a regular basis. Why are there so few DAR's then?

3) 72% of the SPWAW are hopelessly addicted to SPWAW and need to join a help group.

4) 91% of the SPWAW community has not purchased a Mega-Campaign or has purchased one and does not play it. Shame on you. :o

Well that is all I can make up, I mean mathamatically calculate right now.

Bernie -> Re: Interesting statistics (10/12/2002 8:36:45 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gary Tatro
[B]So far I have had 43 votes on my servey. 4 votes relating to Mega-campaigns, 8 votes relating to PBEM games and 31 votes relating to the adictivness of SPWAW in general. So through complexed mathamatical extrapolation I have come up with this thesis.
1) 10% of the SPWAW community has purchased and actually played the Mega-Campaigns. I would think they would be more AAR's. :( (Hey by the way go read mine in the Mega-campaign forum)

2) 19% of the SPWAW community plays SPWAW by PBEM on a regular basis. Why are there so few DAR's then?

3) 72% of the SPWAW are hopelessly addicted to SPWAW and need to join a help group.

4) 91% of the SPWAW community has not purchased a Mega-Campaign or has purchased one and does not play it. Shame on you. :o

Well that is all I can make up, I mean mathamatically calculate right now. [/B][/QUOTE]

Number 3 above seems to indicate to me that the following might also be true:

5) The overwhelming majority of SP:WAW players are so hopelessly addicted to the game that nothing else runs on their computers... ever. Hence, they've never seen this poll, still think the "Net" is what you catch fish with, and seldom venture out of their basements. :)

Irinami -> Re: Re: Interesting statistics (10/12/2002 8:46:19 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bernie
[B]

Number 3 above seems to indicate to me that the following might also be true:

5) The overwhelming majority of SP:WAW players are so hopelessly addicted to the game that nothing else runs on their computers... ever. Hence, they've never seen this poll, still think the "Net" is what you catch fish with, and seldom venture out of their basements. :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Been reading Douglas Adams?

"The Universe:

Population: Zero.

Actually, there are quite a few people in the universe, but with an infinite universe and a finite number of populated planets, the population of the universe is essentially zero. Therefore any other inhabitants you meet are nothing but the product of a deranged imagination." Or something to that effect. :D

Bernie -> Re: Re: Re: Interesting statistics (10/13/2002 11:37:57 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Irinami
[B]

Been reading Douglas Adams?

"The Universe:

Population: Zero.

Actually, there are quite a few people in the universe, but with an infinite universe and a finite number of populated planets, the population of the universe is essentially zero. Therefore any other inhabitants you meet are nothing but the product of a deranged imagination." Or something to that effect. :D [/B][/QUOTE]

Just re-read "So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish" last week. :)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI