Squad Leader? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios

russellesq -> Squad Leader? (6/4/2011 7:36:49 PM)

A long long time ago my friends and I played Avalon Hill's Squad Leader board game. What a fantastic little game. Simple and yet complex enough to have fun and a challenge. Moving around all of those cardboard chits on beautiful folding cardboard maps of cities or the countryside was great.

I get the same sense with ATG as it seems to almost be the equivalent of Squad Leader but on an operational scale rather than tactical. Has anyone considered reducing the scale of the game to individual soldiers and tanks rather than divisions to make a tactical game mod?

Maps could be a city, forest or field rather than an island or continent. Production can either be disabled so you have to work with what you got or slowed down very little to replicate new recruits/replacements or production can be limited only to supplies and ammo.

Barthheart -> RE: Squad Leader? (6/4/2011 9:43:51 PM)

AT:G can't do line of sight so tactical level games are pretty much out.....

Josh -> RE: Squad Leader? (6/5/2011 8:41:15 AM)

Besides there's a major contender on the horizon; Heroes of Stalingrad.
Dunno when that one will be released though. [:)]

Jeffrey H. -> RE: Squad Leader? (6/5/2011 6:00:41 PM)

I think it's more of an "if" than a "when" release date.

russellesq -> RE: Squad Leader? (6/5/2011 6:50:12 PM)

I agree, the prospects for the Lock n Load game look somewhat dim since it has been in development for years.

I also agree that LOS would be an issue for a Squad Leader game. Notwithstanding, all the other basics are present, perhaps this is an idea for Vic to implement through some hard coding or giving us a clue as to how it could be done in his engine if possible.

cveta -> RE: Squad Leader? (6/9/2011 10:49:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: russellesq

A long long time ago my friends and I played Avalon Hill's Squad Leader board game. What a fantastic little game. Simple and yet complex enough to have fun and a challenge. Moving around all of those cardboard chits on beautiful folding cardboard maps of cities or the countryside was great.

I get the same sense with ATG as it seems to almost be the equivalent of Squad Leader but on an operational scale rather than tactical. Has anyone considered reducing the scale of the game to individual soldiers and tanks rather than divisions to make a tactical game mod?

Maps could be a city, forest or field rather than an island or continent. Production can either be disabled so you have to work with what you got or slowed down very little to replicate new recruits/replacements or production can be limited only to supplies and ammo.

Squad leader for PC is one of the games that got me stuck in front of pc for days. I would like to tray it once again, but I cannot found it on the internet. I only found it on amazon.com but cannot by from there. If anybady of you menage to find a way to download it please send me message. It was realy a nice game.

mgaffn1 -> RE: Squad Leader? (6/9/2011 11:07:15 PM)

Ahhh.... Squad Leader, played that oldie a few times myself. Excellent old school AH board game. Recently got my hands on a copy of AH's Arab Israeli war.
If this is the sort of game you're looking for, check in with Matrix games every now & then - somebody's bound to do a PC version... eventually.

*FYI - they've got a new game coming out called Panzer Corps that bears a striking resemblance to the old classic PC game Panzer General.

Adam Rinkleff -> RE: Squad Leader? (6/16/2011 3:04:06 AM)

1) I think you could certainly do something approaching squad leader if you set infantry as having an indirect attack with a range.

2) Implementing LOS really shouldn't be difficult. Each hex could simply be given a value from 0 to 100. If the combined total of hexes along the LOS exceed 100, LOS could be considered blocked.

Both of these look like fairly simple mods/patches which would make a huge difference.

Barthheart -> RE: Squad Leader? (6/16/2011 12:12:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AdamRinkleff

2) Implementing LOS really shouldn't be difficult. Each hex could simply be given a value from 0 to 100. If the combined total of hexes along the LOS exceed 100, LOS could be considered blocked.

Both of these look like fairly simple mods/patches which would make a huge difference.

This is the problem. You can't do this with the editor and it's a major change in the game structure for Vic to implement.

spelk -> RE: Squad Leader? (6/16/2011 12:39:50 PM)

Not wishing to derail an ATG thread, but you might be able to attain your tactical wishes with something like Combat Command (another Matrix title), and it apparently has a very easy to use scenario builder.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI