R&D Bug? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support

bandusdr -> R&D Bug? (6/10/2011 7:55:12 PM)

I'm not entirely sure if this is a bug or not. It seems to be! I'll attached screenshots to illustrate my explanation. Basically, I've been playing a game for a bit now and I've just recently finished research on "Advanced HyperDrives" which is stated to give access to the "Torrent Drive." However, despite the project being complete "Torrent Drive" is not an option given on the ship design screen. Am I missing something? Screenshots follow:

[image]local://upfiles/36249/F20D5B8760254C2FA86413E5C4BD2F40.jpg[/image]

bandusdr -> RE: R&D Bug? (6/10/2011 7:55:41 PM)

Design Screen:

[image]local://upfiles/36249/6410F45811994AEEBD9C414041183BC5.jpg[/image]

Data -> RE: R&D Bug? (6/10/2011 8:26:04 PM)

I see it in my game, can you upload a save game for this to check it up?

Data -> RE: R&D Bug? (6/10/2011 8:31:02 PM)

Btw, why is not Gerax on your list either?

bandusdr -> RE: R&D Bug? (6/10/2011 8:40:17 PM)

Gerax seemed to drop off the list after I researched a "superior" hyperdrive (i.e. Equinox). The game has been eliminating "older" tech components all along and I had figured it was an intended behavior.

I've uploaded the save game to the FTP. The file name is: Bandus June10 RD Bug.dwg

Edit: And moments after this post it hit me. I have "Only Show Latest Components" checked. When I unchecked it all components, including Torrent Drive, are shown. Apparently the game still considers it a "lesser" tech even though its more advanced in the tech tree. It probably does this because even though its more advanced in the tech tree, the drives I've researched, with improvements, are still superior to it. So, looks like everything is functioning as it should, after all!

Thanks once again, Data. I appreciate your taking the time!

Data -> RE: R&D Bug? (6/10/2011 8:52:03 PM)

Np, it's not the first time this happens and indeed some of us consider it a bug and some expected behavior. I didn't consider it as a possible explanation here because I saw three drives in your screenshot and I supposed that "show latest components" was already unchecked.

I'll load your save anyway as in my game when the "show latest components" is checked only torrent appears and I want to confirm that is because the other older ones don't have the improvments like in your case (I started the game with tech level 6 to get there quickly and check if I have the same "problem" as you).

All this aside, well spotted Bandus.

Data -> RE: R&D Bug? (6/10/2011 9:05:48 PM)

Interesting fact after comparing both our games. Even if you do indeed have all the improvments for those three hyper drives they still don't perform better than the torrent one so from a performance point of view torrent should be considered as the latest one.

But it seems the game decides which is the latest based on the tech level and the improvments for the three drives are one level up compared to the torrent drive; once we research the improvment for torrent as well that will become the latest one even if it was better all along.

I guess it's ok from a tech level point of view but we're more interested in performance for any given component. And whoever plays with designs on auto may not even notice that he's not using the best techs available, only the newest on the tech tree.

bandusdr -> RE: R&D Bug? (6/10/2011 9:32:18 PM)

Yeah, it is kind of an odd behavior. I'd completely forgotten about unchecked the "show only latest components" (I usually play with it off) which is probably the only reason I noticed this happening anyway. Good to know for the future! Thanks again, Data!

Volcano -> RE: R&D Bug? (6/18/2011 8:25:57 PM)

I have seen the same bug in my current game. I have unlocked all the techs that improve the basic fission reactor, then I unlocked the quantum reactor, which is far more powerful than the fission one, even with all upgrades, but when I check "Only show latest components", the component list shows the fission reactor, not the quantum reactor.

Data -> RE: R&D Bug? (6/18/2011 8:37:15 PM)

Maybe we should have two options here: only show latest tech level components and only show latest components with improvments. Kinda cluncky though.

One could argue that improvements should be set from a tech level point of view behind new techs, it's much easier to improve upon something already known than to discover something completly new.

But I like the current model as some improvments may come up later in the future via an unexpected route (rping here a little).

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI