Korean War: PC games (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

eniced73 -> Korean War: PC games (6/21/2011 8:29:08 PM)

Anyone have good suggestions?

Alan Sharif -> RE: Korean War: PC games (6/21/2011 9:26:48 PM)

There is a new game in Battlefronts Theatre Of War series that covers this conflict. Not played it but pickings are slim for this topic.

sabre1 -> RE: Korean War: PC games (6/21/2011 9:32:34 PM)

Until they update Modern Wars from Jason Petho using the JTCS (John Tiller Campaign Series), the only other one that I'm aware of is TOAW. The Operational Art of War.

I think Harpoon has some Korean scenarios, if you want naval.

Shrapnel Games: Armored Task Force has modern Korean conflicts. It's real time, but extremely detailed with a brutal ai and learning curve.

There was a Norm Koger game called Korean Conflict I think, but you would have to find a copy and use dosbox to run it. It came on 5 1/4 floppies. A good game, but pretty old.

That is all I can come up with at the moment.

jimi3 -> RE: Korean War: PC games (6/21/2011 9:46:01 PM)

If you like HPS Squad Battles they have "The Korean War". Not a bad game, again you have to like thier graphics/system. Small unit actions.

redcoat -> RE: Korean War: PC games (6/21/2011 11:00:07 PM)

WinSPMBT covers the Korean War ... plus most other conflicts since 1945. It is a free tactical-level game. Link.

Fred98 -> RE: Korean War: PC games (6/21/2011 11:06:14 PM)

SSG made "Macarthur's War"  in the early 1990's

However I see your system does not have a 6" floppy disk drive!
-

Yogi the Great -> RE: Korean War: PC games (6/22/2011 12:31:47 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jimi3

If you like HPS Squad Battles they have "The Korean War".

[image]http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/Products/SB/Korea/korea1.jpg[/image]

Fallschirmjager -> RE: Korean War: PC games (6/22/2011 1:13:26 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alan Sharif

There is a new game in Battlefronts Theatre Of War series that covers this conflict. Not played it but pickings are slim for this topic.

I bought this because like the OP I desperately wanted a game on the war. Sadly the game is terrible and it quickly left my HDD.

Fallschirmjager -> RE: Korean War: PC games (6/22/2011 1:17:24 AM)

The Korean war like the age of sail and WW1 is a undiscovered gold mine for wargaming. There is virtually nothing on the topic. Korea would be fairly easy to model since it very closely resembled WW2.

jomni -> RE: Korean War: PC games (6/22/2011 2:22:35 AM)

Apparently, most Korean War games are old school.

1) SPMBT - Steel Panthers goodness and it's free.
2) Squad Battles Korean War - Very gritty squad level combat by John Tiller.  Fear the Chinese Horde!  I'm currently reading a book about Fox Company in Toktong Pass.
3) TOAW - Norm Koger's time-proven operational wargame.  Just have to get used to so many counters and non-consistent turn resolution.
4) SSI Conflict Korea - Another Norm Koger game TOAW's predecessor. Still good!

I won't openly take sides in the abandonware issue but here's a quote from Norm Koger to help you decide:
quote:

To the best of my knowledge, Conflict: Korea is no longer available for sale. SSI does not show it in their catalog, and they have not objected to the game's inclusion as a downloadable file at the Home of the Underdogs. I do not have any personal experience with game files from the Underdogs site, so this shouldn't be taken as an endorsement. But, speaking only for myself (not SSI), I am not offended to hear that gamers are taking advantage of the availability of this and other older, unsupported titles available for download at the Home of the Underdogs.
link.

Don't bother with Theater of War Korea.

Alan Sharif -> RE: Korean War: PC games (6/22/2011 9:59:41 PM)

Thanks for the feedback on TOW Korea. I must admit it looked interesting and would have purchased when funds permitted. Think I will spend my money elsewhere, most likely here! Thanks again.

eniced73 -> RE: Korean War: PC games (6/23/2011 7:08:57 PM)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Never really looked at the 'Forgotten War' until I watched a documentary on the Military Channel. Caught my interest. I have SPMBT so I definitely will look at thoose scenarios and the other games you suggest. Thanks again.

invernomuto -> RE: Korean War: PC games (6/23/2011 7:33:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: eniced73

Anyone have good suggestions?

Which scale? Strategic? Tactical? Operational?

TOAW (Operational level) has some scenarios about the Korean Conflict, the one in the tutorial is very, very good (I played only from US side).

Bye

E -> RE: Korean War: PC games (6/24/2011 5:50:19 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

SSG made "Macarthur's War"  in the early 1990's

Good guess! (1988)

bigthink -> RE: Korean War: PC games (6/24/2011 9:58:23 AM)

There are so many war games out there, it's like a needle in a haystack. A needle that I haven't yet come across! I'm a fan of strategic browser games, so prefer games like Battlestar Galactica Online and Sealords Online. Let me know if you find something epic! :D

Obsolete -> RE: Korean War: PC games (6/25/2011 8:03:54 AM)

I posted a similar question ages ago. It seems WWII always steals all the fame leaving no developers any crumbs for a Korean war. Much easier to get a vietnam scenario I think.

Fallschirmjager -> RE: Korean War: PC games (6/26/2011 7:07:38 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Obsolete

I posted a similar question ages ago. It seems WWII always steals all the fame leaving no developers any crumbs for a Korean war. Much easier to get a vietnam scenario I think.

I would do about anything for an operational level Vietnam game.

Matrix has been way too quite on major releases lately. It seems lately all it has been is expansions and budget titles that they are just publishing. Nothing 'home made' and certainly no major announcements since War in the East.
I yearn to know the next big title, and I hope there is actually one being developed.

Perturabo -> RE: Korean War: PC games (6/26/2011 9:58:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Obsolete

Which is a shame. I love weird wars with fresh technologies. Stuff like Russo-Japanese war, late WWI, Korean War...

GrognardThomas -> RE: Korean War: PC games (8/3/2013 11:11:51 PM)

Since the Korean War reflects World War 2 type action, could any of the Close Combat series be modified to address this conflict?

DSWargamer -> RE: Korean War: PC games (8/4/2013 12:35:28 AM)

Remember old school is not always a bad thing though.

If the game runs well, it qualifies as a good choice.

Titanwarrior89 -> RE: Korean War: PC games (8/4/2013 12:52:09 AM)

They keep publishing the same ole stuff.  I just couldn't get into the squad battles.

Neilster -> RE: Korean War: PC games (8/4/2013 4:17:48 AM)

I recommend The Operational Art of War 3. You get the excellent Korea scenario and heaps of others from the last 150 odd years and the AI is very challenging now.

Cheers, Neilster

wings7 -> RE: Korean War: PC games (8/7/2013 5:53:48 PM)

Battlefront's Theatre of War 3 Korea is a excellent game, I personally have not played it much, here is the link:
http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=259&Itemid=431
The whole Theatre of War series is quite good and deserves a look. There is alot of game play on YouTube so can preview it that way and there is also demo's of the games to download. Check it out!

Patrick

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI