Diplomacy; Is it worth it? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865

Yo`Ho85984 -> Diplomacy; Is it worth it? (6/24/2011 1:24:39 AM)

Although I still lack this game (thru a series of unfortunate events) I have read many AAR's and have yet to see one where Europe comes and fights for the Confederacy, unless I missed that AAR. Can anyone who has seen this tell me about it, and whether or not in their view it was worth the money they threw at diplomacy.

Ugly Guy -> RE: Diplomacy; Is it worth it? (6/24/2011 1:40:07 AM)

I don't do the diplomacy bit. Although honestly, I haven't tried a game of pure plowing of money into British diplomacy, so I can't say it isn't worth it to try that. What I will say is that its virtually impossible to build a decent economy AND spend enough money on diplomacy, unless you either 1) are playing at such low difficulty level that you really probably don't really need the help, or 2)are at a point in your game were you can afford the money on diplomacy at which point you have probably already won.

I may actually try a game at 1st Lt. difficulty and do nothing but plow money into British diplomacy to see how fast I can get them to come in, if at all. It would be interesting to see how bad things would get before it happened, and how much of an effect it had.

terje439 -> RE: Diplomacy; Is it worth it? (6/24/2011 2:38:32 PM)

I agree with Ugly Guy that the only way to get enough money into diplomacy to get the French or British to enter is when you play on the lower levels.
If they do enter, they will provide about two full armies, and espesially the British will be a problem for the Union as they occur in Canada.

But when one of the European nations are about to enter, the Union will free the slaves and drop the diplomacy levels and give you alot of free brigades.

The one thing that seems worth it for me, is during the first year of war, to keep the levels at a level that allows you to buy weapons from them.

Terje

Yo`Ho85984 -> RE: Diplomacy; Is it worth it? (6/25/2011 9:07:53 PM)

If a Governor supported Diplomacy could that possibly help with the chances of European intervention, or is it nearly impossible at higher difficulty levels?
Also wouldn't it be a better strategy to equip all Brigades with as good as a weapon that would be allowed without diplomacy, evening out your forces, or does the presence of a few brigades with excellent weapons turn the tide of battle?

Ugly Guy -> RE: Diplomacy; Is it worth it? (6/25/2011 10:16:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yo`Ho85984

If a Governor supported Diplomacy could that possibly help with the chances of European intervention, or is it nearly impossible at higher difficulty levels?
Also wouldn't it be a better strategy to equip all Brigades with as good as a weapon that would be allowed without diplomacy, evening out your forces, or does the presence of a few brigades with excellent weapons turn the tide of battle?

A governor supporting diplomacy increases the chance that you will raise your dimplomatic support level. Intervention is automatic at level 10. It is just harder to raise your support level the higher it goes.

The idea with the weapons, is at the very beginning of most games, you will usually have money left over after depleting your other resources in building critical buildings (especially if you use your BR's to bring in cash and impress some resources). Your money will slowly dwindle as you get more units to support and begin camp construction in earnest. All of the weapons you can buy have support levels. Once you equip the support level # of brigades with that weapon, the cost goes up every brigade you go over. The idea behind purchasing the European weapons at the beginning is you can use your excess cash to boost the power of your brigades very quickly with weapons that you will probably never hit the support cap with. This way you aren't equipping those brigades with gun upgrades that cost the weapons resource, which all have extremely low support levels for the Confederacy. You will eventually lose access to European weapons, and every brigade not upgraded with a European weapon will have to be upgraded very slowly because of the extremely low level of organic weapon production and spotty luck with BR's with weapons that have super low support levels. Thus the cost of upgrading your brigades with "Confederate" weapons will be very costly, especially if you have alot of brigades. The only other upgrade avenue is to win battles and loot weapons from the Yankee dead. Unfortunately, this is slow, unreliable, and works against you if you suffer a few major defeats.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI