Big Bertha Bunkers? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps

Adam Parker -> Big Bertha Bunkers? (7/16/2011 6:42:26 AM)

The one thing that I'm finding hard to "suspend my disbelief" over (and this is premised on the understanding that Panzer Corps is a massively abstracted game), are the Bunkers that can seemingly shoot a distance, the equivalent of Warsaw to Lodz on the grand Poland map, for example.

The behavior of artillery in Commander Napoleon was imo, one of the biggest short comings of the game - the ability of these guns to shoot distances between cities. It just didn't make sense, even in the abstract.

Highly unrealistic no need to say - but is there a better way to handle arty's punch? Or... was it always this way in the original Panzer General? I really can't recall.

Are bunkers way too strong - should we consider them to be defensive complexes "in depth"?

<shrug>

My 0.2.
Adam.

Razz1 -> RE: Big Bertha Bunkers? (7/16/2011 7:55:50 AM)

There are 4 different type of bunkers.
Each can be killed easily if you use combined arms and the correct mix.

Jestre -> RE: Big Bertha Bunkers? (7/16/2011 3:09:52 PM)

The Roid-Bunkers is the one thing about the game that has me shaking my head too. Just seem way too powerful for their range. The Bunkers in PG2 only had a 1 hex range IIRC and could be easily bypassed. These will nail you half way across the map...

Rudankort -> RE: Big Bertha Bunkers? (7/16/2011 3:47:02 PM)

Bunkers in Panzer Corps also have one hex range, only forts are long-range. Most forts have a range of 3 hexes. I don't see how this can be too big: many artillery units have the same range. [&:]

Jestre -> RE: Big Bertha Bunkers? (7/16/2011 4:18:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rudankort

Bunkers in Panzer Corps also have one hex range, only forts are long-range. Most forts have a range of 3 hexes. I don't see how this can be too big: many artillery units have the same range. [&:]

My mistake, forts then. Just seem way too powerful for static emplacements to have that kind of range with what seems like no consideration for los and observation. Artillery needs to have a spotting unit to have los, Forts just seem to be able to hit anything within range....

Razz1 -> RE: Big Bertha Bunkers? (7/16/2011 5:24:31 PM)

You think there going to build a fort with knowledge of the territory and artillery range?

Jestre -> RE: Big Bertha Bunkers? (7/16/2011 5:30:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Razz

You think there going to build a fort with knowledge of the territory and artillery range?

I am sure they would but I am not aware of WWII era satellite spotting.... Without FO's they wouldnt know where or when to fire. With units being hit miles away with no adjacent units I find that somewhat gamey....

Razz1 -> RE: Big Bertha Bunkers? (7/16/2011 5:39:39 PM)

They have spotter. You can not see them as individual men are not on the map.

mariandavid -> RE: Big Bertha Bunkers? (7/16/2011 6:03:52 PM)

Except when facing an enemy with a very effective security system forts were set up to fire direct and indirect at any possible target in range. And they spotted by sight and geo-listening devices (the latter brought to a fine art in WW1) when air observation was knocked out. The only caveat is that the strength of a fort was by no means related to its range - the strongest of all, those on the Maginot Line had only stubby 155's as their main weapon. Note however that coastal ones - Singapore and Hong-Kong for example obviously had much longer ranged equipment.

stemak -> RE: Big Bertha Bunkers? (7/17/2011 12:07:53 AM)

The only problem I have with them is that they disappear again due to fog of war ..... it would be more realistic if only the remaining strength disappeared. I'm pretty sure a real commander would mark them on the map with a big pen.

Apollo1967 -> RE: Big Bertha Bunkers? (7/17/2011 4:12:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: stemak

The only problem I have with them is that they disappear again due to fog of war ..... it would be more realistic if only the remaining strength disappeared. I'm pretty sure a real commander would mark them on the map with a big pen.

That's a great point. Since bunkers don't move, there is no reason they should be surrounded by the Fog of War after they have been initially spotted. Hopefully this will be modified in a future patch.

willgamer -> RE: Big Bertha Bunkers? (7/17/2011 2:02:47 PM)

quote:

That's a great point. Since bunkers don't move, there is no reason they should be surrounded by the Fog of War after they have been initially spotted. Hopefully this will be modified in a future patch.

that's got my vote....

Rocko911 -> RE: Big Bertha Bunkers? (7/17/2011 4:07:19 PM)

I agree also on fog of war with forts or bunkers. The fact is they are a static defense structure.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI