hmmmm (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps

tomar -> hmmmm (7/20/2011 8:46:44 AM)

Well, Panzer General is about - what - 15 years old ?

Extraordinarily every successor game to PG has been worse (sometimes significantly) than PG.

The good news is that Panzer Corp is about as good as good ole PG. The bad news is that -unless I missed something- it is not much better.

Aside from movement by train (a good idea), I did not see much improvement. The scenarios I played so far, are , well about the same as in old PG.

The graphics are actually less user friendly. The tanks are less recognizable and the color mix (especially that of the background terrain) makes things harder to see.

For those who have not played PG, Panzer Corp is a good game. For those who did play PG there is a bit of a frustrating feeling that with the technology of today we are not getting something that is markedly better than 15 years ago....Perhaps more and newer scenarios are needed

Still good fun.

jomni -> RE: hmmmm (7/20/2011 9:06:13 AM)

Why change a tried and tested formula?
If you change it you run the risk of ruining the game like you mentioned in your post.

quote:

Extraordinarily every successor game to PG has been worse (sometimes significantly) than PG

IainMcNeil -> RE: hmmmm (7/20/2011 9:53:41 AM)

Out of interest - when was the last time you played PG?

papajack -> RE: hmmmm (7/20/2011 10:14:18 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: tomar

The color mix (especially that of the background terrain) makes things harder to see.

Yes ...this is the only minor setback that I am facing in this excelent remake of PG

I hope someone will eventually release mod to fix [:)]this

But I am recommending this game to everyone regardless whether they have play PG or not

This is one game that should be sitting in every turn based games fan's computer

tomar -> RE: hmmmm (7/20/2011 10:54:21 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

Out of interest - when was the last time you played PG?

A couple of months ago (though not the full campaign)..... it's on my list of all time favorite games where it has been recently joined by Battlefield Academy [:)]

Rudankort -> RE: hmmmm (7/20/2011 11:33:05 AM)

Well you noticed yourself that many PG successors which tried to be different were actually worse. ;) What kind of changes did you expect?

PS. I'm glad that you don't see any changes in game rules - there are many of them, no less than between PG1 and PG2, and I guess this proves that they were done in the spirit of the original, not just for the sake of being different. ;)

jomni -> RE: hmmmm (7/21/2011 2:04:11 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rudankort

Well you noticed yourself that many PG successors which tried to be different were actually worse. ;) What kind of changes did you expect?

Maybe graphical 3D stuff like Battlefield Academy. But it will be harder to make the 400 or so units and even harder to mod.

krupp_88mm -> RE: hmmmm (7/21/2011 3:10:21 AM)

i do agree some of the units are harder to recognize, its probably because you used a diagonal shot, where panzer general had a side silhouette shot, also panzer general used the same Sprite i believe for several tank classes

VPaulus -> RE: hmmmm (7/21/2011 3:30:20 AM)

I don't want another Battlefield academy. I don't want more 3D graphics from those we already have in the game. Why do we need 3D? How 3D could benefit a strategy game? 3D is good for pure tactical games and mostly for RTS games. Improve some game mechanics, rules, that's ok. But to make PC another Battlefield Academy?
I know I'm lucky, I just wanted another Panzer General, and I got it with Panzer Corps. Panzer Corps it's the second incarnation of PG on Earth, it's like a 15 year vintage wine. Older it tastes better.

U2 -> RE: hmmmm (7/21/2011 7:34:10 AM)

3D is what made me loose interest in the series. It is amazing it took so many years for a company to realize this. Finally a game that looks and plays like the original.

Lord Zimoa -> RE: hmmmm (7/21/2011 9:28:55 AM)

quote:

Maybe graphical 3D stuff like Battlefield Academy. But it will be harder to make the 400 or so units and even harder to mod.

Actually the Battlefield Academy units are around 100-200 on average in polycount in full 3D, the Panzer Corps 2D renders are made from 400 full 3D models, and their polycount is on average around 800-1500. The ships actually a couple of thousands. :-)

[image]http://www.matrixgames.com/files/news/823/20110710130345.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.matrixgames.com/files/games/399/20101202101956.jpg[/image]

All units are in fact made and available as full 3D units.

Ego_Bizarro -> RE: hmmmm (7/21/2011 10:40:16 AM)

Wow, wasn't that more work than necessary?
Either way, they look great and I like the 2D graphics and dunno what's wrong with the background. Then again, I - unfortunately - never played PG...however, I did take a look at it recently and boy, my eyes hurt :P
There has been so much technical progression in the gaming industry and has it ever brought us games which were more fun? In most cases, nope.

Locarnus -> RE: hmmmm (7/21/2011 10:56:08 AM)

hm, the second last screen reminded me of the upgrade screen of pg2

Thats one of the very annoying things in pc compared to pg2.
I want something like one overview/upgrade screen.
If I want to buy 4 units, I dont want to click purchase again every time.
From that screen I also want to be able to reinforce all remaining units with green or elite forces, then I can reinforce some manually and then rest the other way with only one additional click...
That means you would be able to compare the stats of a bought AT tracked with a tank as well.
You would need to click every time you want to see the upgrade costs for every new unit, and if it is worthwile...
And so on

1 unified screen instead of the clickorgy

Zerstorer -> RE: hmmmm (7/21/2011 11:43:42 PM)

Possibly like a "<alt> click" during the deployment phase which would automatically upgrade all under-strength units with Elite (or Green) replacement points instead of scrolling and selectively replenishing each unit individually.

Obsolete -> RE: hmmmm (7/22/2011 12:35:46 AM)

quote:

Extraordinarily every successor game to PG has been worse (sometimes significantly) than PG.

I wonder if that includes People's General...

Tophat1815 -> RE: hmmmm (7/22/2011 1:35:00 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Obsolete

quote:

I wonder if that includes People's General...

Peoples General was fun,but the original PG was the best of the series for me. Have not bought this one yet,but plan on it.

JudgeDredd -> RE: hmmmm (7/22/2011 7:46:47 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lord Zimoa
[image]http://www.matrixgames.com/files/games/399/20101202101956.jpg[/image]

This is worth mentioning for me - that paper effect is great looking and inspirational. Sometimes it's little touches that make class in my book! [&o]

HansHafen -> RE: hmmmm (7/22/2011 7:38:23 PM)

I liked the look of Panzer General just fine. I like the look of this one too. They are just different. Then again, I liked Panzer General: Scorched Earth alot too.

Obsolete -> RE: hmmmm (7/23/2011 1:20:39 AM)

quote:

Peoples General was fun,but the original PG was the best of the series for me.

Hmm, and so many people told me that the air-force mechanism in PeG was so much an improvement...

Hanal -> RE: hmmmm (7/23/2011 8:05:21 PM)

Well it's a good thing I stink at this game so that I can play more scenarios.... Case in point was the Yugo-Greco Campaign...here I am rolling southward with the Italian Navy softening all before me, when I basically was lulled into a false sense of a major victory awaiting me. Suddenly I noticed that time was running out, and I was one turn shy of a major...I wasted too much time refitting my units when I should have pressed on...oh well, playing like crap is good!...[;)]

BriteLite -> RE: hmmmm (7/24/2011 5:21:19 AM)

As a PG fan since 1995, I could not disagree with the OP any more. The gaming experience is new,fresh and fun. Many in the PG community were never satisfied with later iterations of PG. Rudankort breathed life into the old game when he developed PGForever. We are fortunate that Lordz/Slitherine/Matrix had the foresight to bring him and PC to us.

One can argue that PC is just the same old PG. The basic concept is the same. Beyond that the game is new and fresh. Some say reworked. I like to say it is remastered.[:)]

McBearCat -> RE: hmmmm (7/24/2011 7:19:59 PM)

Well it's a good thing I stink at this game so that I can play more scenarios.... Case in point was the Yugo-Greco Campaign...here I am rolling southward with the Italian Navy softening all before me, when I basically was lulled into a false sense of a major victory awaiting me. Suddenly I noticed that time was running out, and I was one turn shy of a major...I wasted too much time refitting my units when I should have pressed on...oh well, playing like crap is good!...

Just getting ready to add this game to my collection...I noticed the reference to "time was running out." Does this mean that there is a timer in the background and that objectives have to be met before time runs out?

Thanks...:)

Rudankort -> RE: hmmmm (7/24/2011 7:33:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: McBearCat
Just getting ready to add this game to my collection...I noticed the reference to "time was running out." Does this mean that there is a timer in the background and that objectives have to be met before time runs out?

Thanks...:)

Well the game is not RTS, so there is no real timer, it is just that you have a limited number of turns to complete your mission.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI