Just Set The Game Aside (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps

joviel -> Just Set The Game Aside (7/30/2011 2:24:17 AM)

I was sailing a battleship up the Norwegian coast, needed to get it into position, came adjacent to an unseen Norwegian infantry and the ZoC stopped a battleship cold.

Come on.... That needs fixing. Most of the game is great, that encounter had me shut it down and I doubt I'll boot it up for a while. I really have trouble with that sort of thing - personality flaw I guess...

Scott in CT

duhsveti666 -> RE: Just Set The Game Aside (7/30/2011 2:54:38 AM)

You could just undo the move, and avoid it. Just saying [:)]
But yea it can get quite annoying.

Horseman78 -> RE: Just Set The Game Aside (7/30/2011 8:52:08 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: duhsveti1

You could just undo the move, and avoid it. Just saying [:)]
But yea it can get quite annoying.

You can't undo a move when you've revealed previously unseen enemy units...but this has been reported before and I think it was add to the change log for the 1st patch!

jomni -> RE: Just Set The Game Aside (7/30/2011 8:55:23 AM)

You should imagine that infantry units have embedded artillery which surprised the battleship.

Rood -> RE: Just Set The Game Aside (7/30/2011 9:58:28 AM)

Or you can try to edit 'gamerules.pzdat' in the 'Data' subdirectory of your 'PanzerCorps' installation directory and set the 'NavalZOC' parameter to 0 (zero).

I haven't tried this and don't know if it actually does work.

Edit: make sure you make a backup of this file before you modify it!

Hanal -> RE: Just Set The Game Aside (7/30/2011 2:09:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rood

Or you can try to edit 'gamerules.pzdat' in the 'Data' subdirectory of your 'PanzerCorps' installation directory and set the 'NavalZOC' parameter to 0 (zero).

I haven't tried this and don't know if it actually does work.

Edit: make sure you make a backup of this file before you modify it!

Wouldn't that negate naval unit to naval units ZOC encounters?

Rood -> RE: Just Set The Game Aside (7/30/2011 4:03:13 PM)

I have tested this now and setting NavalZOC to 0 will negate ZOC for naval and ground units, so a naval unit can move right past a ground unit in a harbor. So this is what joviel is looking for.

Use at your own risk though and don't use it in MP games unless you agree to the change beforehand.

Hanal -> RE: Just Set The Game Aside (7/30/2011 6:29:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rood

I have tested this now and setting NavalZOC to 0 will negate ZOC for naval and ground units, so a naval unit can move right past a ground unit in a harbor. So this is what joviel is looking for.

Use at your own risk though and don't use it in MP games unless you agree to the change beforehand.

But naval units can now whiz by enemy naval units with no zoc effects right?

SeaMonkey -> RE: Just Set The Game Aside (7/30/2011 7:30:12 PM)

JP, that's not necessarily a bad thing! I know .... you didn't say it was..... I like the idea of "two ships passing in the night".

larrywrose -> RE: Just Set The Game Aside (7/31/2011 5:50:50 AM)

When I was in the US Navy way back when, there was a sea story about a N. Vietnamese artillery that made the mistake of trying to shell the U.S.S. New Jersey. I don't know if it was true, but it made for a fun story. Basically they fired a few rounds, and the New Jersey fired back one broadside and that ended the matter.

Larry W. Rose

IainMcNeil -> RE: Just Set The Game Aside (7/31/2011 6:59:13 AM)

The ground and naval units do not exert a ZOC on each other as far as I remember. The issue is you discovered a new unit and that stopped you remove, not the ZOC. Logically what should it do - what if you want to shoot at it. We don't want to add a more complex UI to deal with odd edge cases like this. The moral is don't move units in the the shroud or things might go wrong.

willgamer -> RE: Just Set The Game Aside (7/31/2011 2:02:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

The moral is don't move units in the the shroud or things might go wrong.

Gotta admit that is signature behavior for a PG style game.

That's good enough for me.... [:D]

vonRocko -> RE: Just Set The Game Aside (7/31/2011 2:36:38 PM)

You have to adjust your strategy to fit the game, not adjust the game to fit your strategy. Recon is important.

soldier1 -> RE: Just Set The Game Aside (7/31/2011 4:26:33 PM)

I've had the same issue in Norway when my troops got stopped when they walked pass a British transport and I've since noticed the original posters problem that a battleship will get stopped by a troop on shore. I don't think its correct to say live with it, because its a game rule. Shouldn't the rules in the game have a basis ?
How exactly does a naval transport exert ZOC on infantry walking along the shore ? and how could those guys stop a battleship from sailing by ?

I can understand how guys walking past a tank will go to ground or get "pinned" but the relationship in the air and on the sea is quite different. They removed ZOC from the Air units in Panzer Corps and quite rightly, because you can't stop and trap a messerschmitt. I think it should be looked at a little more closely.

IainMcNeil -> RE: Just Set The Game Aside (7/31/2011 7:46:42 PM)

It could be but how often does this happen? I've never actually seen it, probably because moving on to the shroud can be suicidal :). Effort is far more likely to be of benefit if spent on other more interesting additions.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI