Death Ray Mostly Just Scares 'em (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

Harmonious Hegemony -> Death Ray Mostly Just Scares 'em (8/5/2011 6:04:11 PM)

Has anyone else noticed that the Death Ray misses most of the time? It's huge in size, and thus also in expense, and seems to just breeze on by the target a good 3/4 of the time. Admittedly scaring the bejeezus out of the intended target but not doing any damage (of course when it does hit it totally blows stuff up). Is it really worth the cost? Or is all that space better put to lasers and torps?

Data -> RE: Death Ray Mostly Just Scares 'em (8/5/2011 7:24:52 PM)

I'm definitly on the latter side and almost never use the death ray. It's not scary that it misses that much, I tend to shy away from bejeezus scaring type of weapons.

Igard -> RE: Death Ray Mostly Just Scares 'em (8/5/2011 8:37:11 PM)

It's fun to have a 'Super Ship' in your fleet with the Death Ray, but I prefer to fit lasers and torps instead. Haven't done the maths, so I don't know for sure.

Shark7 -> RE: Death Ray Mostly Just Scares 'em (8/5/2011 10:37:43 PM)

The really fun one is the massive area weapon. One ship can take on a fleet and win. [X(]

ehsumrell1 -> RE: Death Ray Mostly Just Scares 'em (8/6/2011 3:24:30 AM)

Give me enough Titan Beams and Firestorm Torpedoes combined with a Raptor
Targeting System..... [sm=00000959.gif]

adecoy95 -> RE: Death Ray Mostly Just Scares 'em (8/6/2011 3:25:07 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

The really fun one is the massive area weapon. One ship can take on a fleet and win. [X(]

yup, i usually rig one on a super troop transport, it goes in, cripples the defense fleet, takes the planet. does minimum damage to large star-bases, keeping them intact for the returning attack

Data -> RE: Death Ray Mostly Just Scares 'em (8/6/2011 8:05:31 AM)

That's actually more devious than Shark.....well done, sir.

Shark7 -> RE: Death Ray Mostly Just Scares 'em (8/6/2011 6:20:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Data

That's actually more devious than Shark.....well done, sir.

Hmm, I'm going to have to fix this, he is threatening my reign as Most Devious Dark Overlord.. [sm=00000622.gif]

Igard -> RE: Death Ray Mostly Just Scares 'em (8/6/2011 7:38:47 PM)

Even I object to the use of Area effect weapons. They're so unethical.[:D]

Kayoz -> RE: Death Ray Mostly Just Scares 'em (8/19/2011 12:07:34 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

... and hit every transport in the area, making EVERYONE hate you....

MaxyGamer -> RE: Death Ray Mostly Just Scares 'em (8/21/2011 7:39:52 PM)

D Ray isn't about damage.. or accuracy... or practicality. It's there to show off, gents. It's about prestige.. about class.. We all know it's almost useless and takes too much space and at times, indeed, does very little to satisfy. But you know what... some scared ugly rats/frogs looking at your ship with a death ray cannon attached to its body and realising just how small and insignificant...er.. I've been spending too much time playing this game, haven't I... [sm=fighting0056.gif]

P.S. Area weapons are quite effective if it's all enemy territory and no neutrals involved. I use em more often when playing some mean bugs. [sm=mad-1003.gif]

adecoy95 -> RE: Death Ray Mostly Just Scares 'em (9/4/2011 6:21:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MaxyGamer

D Ray isn't about damage.. or accuracy... or practicality. It's there to show off, gents. It's about prestige.. about class.. We all know it's almost useless and takes too much space and at times, indeed, does very little to satisfy. But you know what... some scared ugly rats/frogs looking at your ship with a death ray cannon attached to its body and realising just how small and insignificant...er.. I've been spending too much time playing this game, haven't I... [sm=fighting0056.gif]

P.S. Area weapons are quite effective if it's all enemy territory and no neutrals involved. I use em more often when playing some mean bugs. [sm=mad-1003.gif]

i suppose it makes sense, the death stars main weapon did not even penetrate the shields of the rebels capital ship

Tree Dog -> RE: Death Ray Mostly Just Scares 'em (9/5/2011 6:42:36 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: adecoy95

i suppose it makes sense, the death stars main weapon did not even penetrate the shields of the rebels capital ship

It did, actually.
The Death Star II blew up two MC80, 1200m capital ships, and a Bulk Cruiser, 600m long ship. All with its main weapon.

Shark7 -> RE: Death Ray Mostly Just Scares 'em (9/5/2011 2:00:21 PM)

Also keep in mind that Alderaan was a shielded planet, (or at least should have been) as planet shields were common in the SW universe.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI