Pensacola Class Reborn (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding

SargeantTex -> Pensacola Class Reborn (8/6/2011 10:10:33 PM)

July 1940- The United States Navy realizing what a horrible design the Pensacola Class cruisers were send Pensacola and Salt Lake City back to the yard for a complete overhaul.
removing C turret and redesigning A and D turret for a triple mount. The Navy has also realized the uselessness of spotter aircraft on cruisers and battleships and will be removing catapults and cranes as each ship comes up for refit.
Sep 1941- The Pensacola and Salt Lake City emerge from refit to begin Sea Trials.

Nov 1941- The Pensacola and Salt Lake City return to Pearl Harbor their previous 60 day sea trials have been deemed successful with vastly superior sea keeping capabilities and much improved AA defense.

[image]local://upfiles/18752/AFE94F54330D4C0AB8F32B64C1ED7F63.jpg[/image]

oldman45 -> RE: Pensacola Class Reborn (8/7/2011 1:22:43 PM)

That a fine looking cruiser. Better lay out than the original.

Terminus -> RE: Pensacola Class Reborn (8/7/2011 1:45:13 PM)

How did they "realize that spotter planes were useless"? What's the driver?

JWE -> RE: Pensacola Class Reborn (8/7/2011 5:12:57 PM)

Sorry Tex, but redesigning for a trip mount means rebuilding the whole ship. They did the twins because the hull wasn't wide enough for a trip barbette. And the more modern trips were even wider. To do main deck trips on a Pensacola, you would have to split her like a chicken; talking 2 years minimum, over size, under armored, unstable, hugely expensive. Cheaper just to build something else. I really like Pensacolas, so wouldn't want to see that.[;)]

SargeantTex -> RE: Pensacola Class Reborn (8/8/2011 2:02:55 AM)

Never seen any kind of schematic drawing of cruisers so I am not sure how deep cruiser barbettes go but as far as turret is concerned the triple looks roughly 24-48 inches wider than the twin plus hard to get a really upclose view with something like a yard stick to put it to scale just guessing from bow on pictures. plus this is SargeantTexs' navy and when he says its possible the law of physics and engineering dont apply[:D][:D][:D]

SargeantTex -> RE: Pensacola Class Reborn (8/8/2011 2:58:54 AM)

There were a series of unfortunate accidents throughout the 1930s' involving the spotter aircraft on numerous ships from some half wit sailor wanting to know far the thing will fly without a pilot to a young ensign from Nebraska who didnt quite have enough fun after making a port call to Rio De Janeiro and stole the plane when they had made Rio Grande Do Sol and the captain wanted the plane offloaded into the water to test the pilots water takeoff performance while the pilot was warming up, the Ensign swam out threw the pilot overboard and flew it back to Rio De Janeiro[:D][:D] but the final straw came in 1939 when Secretary of the Navy Billy Bob"Sargeant" Tex was making a visit to the Houston when she made port call at Galveston while touring the ship the Secretary was admidships with the captain between the catapults when a sailor up in the mast hollered out"port side look at the knockers on that broad" and the secretary looked and all he could see was the Da#$ catapult mounts needless to say shortly thereafter the joint shiefs of staff issued a directive that all aircraft,catapults and aircraft cranes were to be removed from Cruisers and battleships and the hanger spaces used for recreation purposes.[:D][:D][:D] if you need more detail I got all night to tell you what recreation facilities were added[:)][:)]

oldman45 -> RE: Pensacola Class Reborn (8/8/2011 4:42:46 AM)

Too funny, well done Tex!![:D]

NormS3 -> RE: Pensacola Class Reborn (8/8/2011 6:51:34 AM)

Great info! Please forward anything you got. I know that I will need another laugh at some point on monday!

SargeantTex -> RE: Pensacola Class Reborn (8/8/2011 8:18:38 AM)

The next warmod I will attempt is to mount the R-2800 to the F2A without tearing a hole in the space time contiuum!!

Terminus -> RE: Pensacola Class Reborn (8/8/2011 8:45:51 AM)

Well, if you don't WANT realism, why didn't you say so in the first place?

NormS3 -> RE: Pensacola Class Reborn (8/8/2011 9:43:45 PM)

[:D]

Buffalos that could actually keep up with bombers? Wow, that might make an interesting change to early allied game plan.
Thanks SargeantTex!

Terminus: I've always had my eye out for that Romulan Warbird from witp, any idea what mod that was in[;)].

RevRick -> RE: Pensacola Class Reborn (8/8/2011 11:03:58 PM)

On the other side of the picture. Admiral Frederick Richardson, head of BuShips and the design bureau, took one look at that design and said some words which will go down in Naval History, but which cannot be repeated on a public forum board. Something about a sexually active, diety condemned early terminated pregnancy, in other words. He told the design bureau to take it back, design it with 8 guns and more armor plate than a yard oiler, and a decent range for fleet ops. "%**%%% ship wouldn't be worth forty pounds of hammered horse (excrement!). It ain't gonna matter how many guns it's got if it ain't gonna get there because of piss poor range and some &^*&(& *&*^(* (&&)) with a 30 cal rifle can shoot holes in the (Y&*^))(( thing!!!!"

Thus, the reworked design went to the builders and came back with four twin turrets with 8"55 guns, 4 5"25 DP mounts, 4" belt armor, 2.5" deck armor, and a range of 10,500 miles on a treaty figure of 9100 tons. In addition, the reduction of the top hamper and the top heavy configuration of the main battery allowed the ship to have more reserve buoyancy, and by the time the war started, they mounted four (soon to be changed to 40 mm) 1.1" AA cannon, landed the torpedo tubes since the torpedoes didn't have the same range as the 8"55 to begin with, and decided that a float plane amidships was more of a fire hazard than a benefit anyway. Thus she came out looking much like the original design but with some modification.

[image][/image]

NormS3 -> RE: Pensacola Class Reborn (8/8/2011 11:21:25 PM)

[:D]

As always, eloquently put RevRick. [&o]

Thanks for the needed smiles guys.

oldman45 -> RE: Pensacola Class Reborn (8/9/2011 12:13:40 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SargeantTex

The next warmod I will attempt is to mount the R-2800 to the F2A without tearing a hole in the space time contiuum!!

The problem might be that the engine weighs more frame ;)

RevRick -> RE: Pensacola Class Reborn (8/9/2011 12:59:38 AM)

Don't know about the R2800, but I'd love to put superchargers in the P36 (since they were still in service at the beginning), the P40 (since the requisitioning people seemed to be in love with them) and the p-39, just to give the beast a chance of a wax dog in purgatory. Been playing with the figures, and it seems as if it would have been promising... I do declare that the word "change" seems to be as big a pejorative in the military as it is in the church!

wdolson -> RE: Pensacola Class Reborn (8/9/2011 1:46:30 AM)

An R-2800 in a Buffalo would probably unbalance the airframe, cause a large bulge in front of the cockpit that would make carrier landings more difficult than in a Corsair, and would probably be a waste of a 2800.  Brewster had such horrible QA problems that none of the Corsairs they built were certified for combat (all went to training units) and their management was so poor, the government took over the company in 1943 and shut it down entirely when the war ended.

Bill

oldman45 -> RE: Pensacola Class Reborn (8/11/2011 1:11:23 AM)

I knew Brewster Corp had problems, but I never knew it was that bad. Thank goodness they didn't invent the R2800 [;)]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI