Cribtop goes on vacation and sees the Lexington II (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Cribtop -> Cribtop goes on vacation and sees the Lexington II (8/20/2011 10:07:11 PM)

Just took the family to the Texas coast and saw the Lexington II CV-16. Enjoy the pics!

Edit: OK, having a little trouble with the pics. Can't upload them from an iPad but will xfer them to PC and then upload.

Edit 2: Grr. The file size is over 500KB. Can't seem to post! [:@]

Any suggestions? The photos are 5-7 MB each in jpg format. Others have posted big pics before - what format should I use?

tocaff -> RE: Cribtop goes on vacation and sees the Lexington II (8/20/2011 10:58:53 PM)

See what happens when everything is bigger in Texas?  [:D]

ilovestrategy -> RE: Cribtop goes on vacation and sees the Lexington II (8/20/2011 11:35:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: tocaff

See what happens when everything is bigger in Texas?  [:D]

tocaff. You are a jerk. My wife is asking why I'm laughing so hard and she thinks I'm nuts a moron. [:D][:D]

Good Lord that was funny. [:D]

Cribtop -> RE: Cribtop goes on vacation and sees the Lexington II (8/20/2011 11:41:38 PM)

Even I have to laugh and that one. Bigger and better laughing, of course![:D]

Reg -> RE: Cribtop goes on vacation and sees the Lexington II (8/20/2011 11:56:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

Any suggestions? The photos are 5-7 MB each in jpg format. Others have posted big pics before - what format should I use?

Keep them in jpg format as that is the smallest and most efficient for photographs. What you do need to do is resize them down to about 1024 pixels across (or slightly smaller) using an graphics editor so they will fit on every ones computer screen. A standard camera these days will produce a picture 3600 pixels wide and several megabytes in size as you found out. This forum has a 500kB attachment file size limit.

Another tip if you are confident is to change the compressions settings in your graphics editor and re-save to make the file smaller. However the quality may suffer if you do this.

I use a freeware program called Irfanview to do jobs like this (available from http://www.irfanview.com/). This program is not a full blown editor that will create images but is a small viewer which will allow you to touch up existing pictures (resize, crop, adjust colours etc).

Best of Luck. [:)]

Cribtop -> RE: Cribtop goes on vacation and sees the Lexington II (8/21/2011 12:03:19 AM)

Thanks, Reg. Here goes another attempt. First, we see the intrepid members of Cribtop HQ other than the Emperor: Wife Lisa, 4 year old Natalie and 3 month old Avery.

[image]local://upfiles/29885/715C45D66A9D4768AC66E8064A6CE1AC.jpg[/image]

Reg -> RE: Cribtop goes on vacation and sees the Lexington II (8/21/2011 12:03:33 AM)

quote:

OK, having a little trouble with the pics. Can't upload them from an iPad but will xfer them to PC and then upload.

You should be able to upload from any full featured web browser. You problem will undoubtedly be the file size.

Do you have a graphics editor capable of resizing images installed on your iPad??

Cribtop -> RE: Cribtop goes on vacation and sees the Lexington II (8/21/2011 12:05:02 AM)

And now, The Emperor with Daughter Natalie and Lex in the background. Note that his Majesty does brush his hair but the 25 mph winds on the Texas coast made a mockery of such efforts today.

[image]local://upfiles/29885/9273C77716FF4C07B182900584A5FA1A.jpg[/image]

Cribtop -> RE: Cribtop goes on vacation and sees the Lexington II (8/21/2011 12:07:34 AM)

And now a series of pics showing that my esteemed opponent has been engaging in some serious aircraft R&D efforts. Disturbing.

[image]local://upfiles/29885/BD57FC21FB144691B4DA25EB04A2F99C.jpg[/image]

Cribtop -> RE: Cribtop goes on vacation and sees the Lexington II (8/21/2011 12:08:22 AM)

[image]local://upfiles/29885/9A48A64A097C4821BC83E95301B3770E.jpg[/image]

Cribtop -> RE: Cribtop goes on vacation and sees the Lexington II (8/21/2011 12:08:59 AM)

[image]local://upfiles/29885/7B48927099EF432B89B296665CF132C5.jpg[/image]

Cribtop -> RE: Cribtop goes on vacation and sees the Lexington II (8/21/2011 12:10:55 AM)

Hmm, tried those as .gifs to minimize file size but not fully satisfied. Will try some modified .jpgs after dinner.

zuluhour -> RE: Cribtop goes on vacation and sees the Lexington II (8/21/2011 12:47:04 AM)

The emperor s son seems to be contemplating a ..... strategy? [;)]

Cribtop -> RE: Cribtop goes on vacation and sees the Lexington II (8/21/2011 12:56:44 AM)

Daughter, although I realize Avery can be either. Yes, she was probably working on the poopie diaper kamikaze attack plane. Our next superweapon!

Reg -> RE: Cribtop goes on vacation and sees the Lexington II (8/21/2011 2:12:35 AM)

quote:

Hmm, tried those as .gifs to minimize file size but not fully satisfied. Will try some modified .jpgs after dinner.

Hi Cribtop,

Looks like you had a great day.

The use of GIFs was a step in the right direction of reducing file size as the format faithfully reproduces images and tones but it is limited to only 256 colours. The world would be a dull place if we were limited to this number of colours. [:(] GIF format attempts to compensate by "dithering" (inserting patterns of pixels of the available colours) which in theory will give the closest match to the missing colours. This works if you view the picture from a distance but up close it is not so effective (notice how your pictures are all "grainy"). GIF format is best used on computer graphics with a limited number of colours.

This effect is made even worse with poor conversion tools. Your pictures only use 202 out of the 256 available colours so 20% of your limited colour range has been wasted so more dithering is required and the results aren't as good as they could have been!! I hope you didn't use MSPaint to do the conversion because it is the worst of the lot. Irfanview will use all 256 and intelligently pick the best colours to minimise dithering.

JPG format supports millions of colours and compresses the file size so it is the most suitable for a real world photographs (no dithering) and file size is smaller than any other format. However, it does this by introducing compression distortions into the image but for most photographs this effect is barely noticeable (unless the compression is turned up too high). This is why digital cameras use this format. Higher resolutions (larger images) also reduce the visibility of JPG distortions so that is why cameras are heading that way. I converted one of your pics to JPG and it was half the size of the original GIF.

The limitation of JPG is that it cannot handle high contrast (JPG has a real problem with Black & White checker board patterns which will always be blurry). You may have noticed the WITP screenshots which people have posted where you cannot read the red text. I get around this by using GIF format as it reproduces the coloured text faithfully (lossless is the technical term) and though there is dithering, I believe this is a small compromise for readable text. Another way of doing this is to use JPG with the compression turned way down (which sort of defeats the purpose of using JPG).

Sorry about being so long winded but I thought you might like to know why you didn't get the results you were expecting.

Cribtop -> RE: Cribtop goes on vacation and sees the Lexington II (8/21/2011 3:15:01 AM)

No, Reg, I think you've got me square now. I tried the gifs but should have listened to your first post. Found a better conversion software and was able to get compressed jpeg's to work. Looks much better now!

PS - Here's a link to the Lexington's web site.

http://www.usslexington.com/

ilovestrategy -> RE: Cribtop goes on vacation and sees the Lexington II (8/21/2011 3:42:04 AM)

quote:

And now a series of pics showing that my esteemed opponent has been engaging in some serious aircraft R&D efforts. Disturbing.

[image]local://upfiles/29885/BD57FC21FB144691B4DA25EB04A2F99C.jpg[/image]

I think you can kiss your Zero's and Betties goodbye! [:D]

Cribtop -> RE: Cribtop goes on vacation and sees the Lexington II (8/21/2011 5:09:11 AM)

Maverick, I'm engaged with six! Repeat six! Get in here! [:D]

LST Express -> RE: Cribtop goes on vacation and sees the Lexington II (8/22/2011 12:32:47 AM)

Nice, been to Charleston and seen the Yorktown CV-10 and lived in Texas most of my life and never seen Lex II. Next time at Corpus, gonna correct that little problem.

zzodr -> RE: Cribtop goes on vacation and sees the Lexington II (8/22/2011 7:27:54 AM)

quote:

Maverick, I'm engaged with six! Repeat six! Get in here! [:D]

Five. [;)]

Cribtop -> RE: Cribtop goes on vacation and sees the Lexington II (8/22/2011 4:27:40 PM)

C'mon, you know we southerners never let the facts get in the way of a better story. [:D]

Ulua -> RE: Cribtop goes on vacation and sees the Lexington II (8/22/2011 5:36:57 PM)

quote:

Yes, she was probably working on the poopie diaper kamikaze attack plane. Our next superweapon!

I've heard of flaming dog poop before, but flaming daughter poop? [X(]

Anyway, love that shot of that Phantom...Agile it was not, but it went to show you that even bricks can fly when paired with large jets.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI