Newbie here (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room

jallison86 -> Newbie here (8/24/2011 6:42:17 PM)

Hello all,

I'm brand new to the game (a bit late, I know). I've muddled through the training scenario enough times to get the hang of how the system flows. I then tried the Coral Sea scenario, but it seemed like the job of the US carriers in that one was to mostly hide from the Japanese. I should go back and try it again, though, I suppose. I've been playing the Marianas scenario as the US and while I've figured a few things out I'm still wondering about several issues. Before plunging into one of the longer scenarios I'd like to get a better understanding of some of this. If the answer is RTFM that's fine...I'll admit that I haven't read the whole manual yet.

First off, land combat and transport. As the US in this game you need to invade and capture a number of Japanese bases. So while the Navy was busy trampling the land-based Japanese airpower, I loaded up the Marines and sent them to Saipan. It's pretty easy to pick the infantry units with high assault values, but there are lots of land units on Eniwetok and I'm not sure how to use them all. Should I be sending a mix of infantry, armor, artillery, and engineers? Or just send the Marines first and the other stuff later? How about HQ units...are they of value in these short scenarios? And which transport is "best?" Seems like I want to use AK's for supplies and landing craft for troops and armor but that's about as far as I've got it figured out. The documented play-through of the training scenario instructs you to use a variety of transport craft but doesn't explain why you choose one over another in any particular case.

Second, task force organization. My approach to this was to put one CV and one CVL into a task force along with one fast battleship, a handful of cruisers, and a bunch of DD's. These make pretty effective combat units, but the air strikes from them can seem a little piecemeal. Should I be grouping CV's together into task forces? I also thought later about grouping BB's into bombardment/surface attack TF's. I was paranoid about leaving my CV task forces without some heavy firepower for both AA and a surprise surface encounter, but I'm not sure I'm getting the most out of the fast battleships. The slower BB's I used for bombardment.

Finally, a question about TF retirement. I had a few ASW TF's that had pretty good success, but they would suddenly wind up back in Eniwetok for no apparent reason. What triggers a TF retirement? I know I can set them to patrol/not retire, but I'm curious what is happening there.

Thanks for any feedback on these!

- Jeff

radar -> RE: Newbie here (8/25/2011 2:39:01 PM)

Hi Jeff,

I'm by know means an expert here, but I will give you my thoughts on some of your questions.

Yes you should have a mixture of marines, infantry, armor, artillery and engineers. Get the high assault value units on land on the first wave and the others quickly after that. Be sure to get in engineer units that also have an assualt value, as they assist in knocking down enemy fortifications. For this scenario, theres a special HQ that can be loaded on a special transport that does add strength to an island invasion, but I can't recall the proper names right now. This HQ stays on the ship in the coastal hex, don't unload onshore.

Air Combat task forces should have a fast battleship or two in them, in my opinion. I like to group three CVs in one TF and use CVLs in separate TFs to guard the perimeter of the battle--out of reach from land bases enemy aircraft or at least a long flight for them. There are many schools of thought on this topic, but this has worked well for me against the computer.

You are using the transports and landing craft very well, no problems. There's a chart in the manual that lists exactly what each type of transport is capable of hauling and how much. I have this page printed out and refer to it regularly. Remember though, early in a long game you have to use whatever is at your disposal, even if it isn't ideal according to the chart.

It sounds like your ASW TF returned to base because it was in retirement mode rather than patrol. Any TF in retirement mode will go to the hex you selected and then return to home base. Use patrol to get a TF to stay in a hex or move it from there at a later time.

It sounds to me like you're ready to play a long campaign. Finish this scenario if you're having fun, but there's not much left for you to learn here. The opening of the long games play nothing like this one because you won't have anything close to this level of lift or firepower for two years in game time.

Best to you in your game, WITP is a blast!

tocaff -> RE: Newbie here (8/25/2011 3:01:59 PM)

Welcome aboard.

For invasion purposes infantry and armor for the muscle along with combat engineers to reduce the forts level.  After the initial shock attacks then artillery and later the support units to rebuild and operate the conquered base.

CVTFs should be no larger than 15 ships.  I generally use 2 CVs, a CVL, 1 fast BB, a couple of CAs, a CL, a CLAA and 6 DDs for a toatl of 14 ships.  This way I've got good AA and ASW while not incurring penalties for air ops or being over 15 ships (they don't fight). 

If you don't set TFs to patrol they will retire to their base once reaching the designated hex.  If you want them to loiter you must use patrol.  A bombardment TF, for example, will hit the target and then retire to base, resetting itself to surface combat.  Set it to patrol and the next turn reset to bombardment with the target destination but watch your ammo levels.

jallison86 -> RE: Newbie here (8/25/2011 4:44:34 PM)

Thanks for the feedback. I'll give one of the longer campaigns a try. I just didn't want to get many hours in and suddenly realize, oh so that's how it works! I suspect there will be some of those moments regardless -- it's a complex game. But game time is precious and I don't want to waste it.

Thanks again for the responses!

- Jeff

radar -> RE: Newbie here (8/25/2011 6:04:37 PM)

Go for the long game. I'm into September 1944 in my first game and I'm still learning new things, but that hasn't caused me to regret the decision to play. Some things you have to learn as you go because of the order of battle. When you see something new appear, look it up in the manual and then use it!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI