RE: Texas is burning... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

jeffk3510 -> RE: Texas is burning... (9/6/2011 8:06:50 PM)

Hoping everyone is well in the said area.

LoBaron -> RE: Texas is burning... (9/6/2011 8:30:49 PM)

Me too, just seen the news, doesn´t look like its under control.

Good luck over there. [:(]

tocaff -> RE: Texas is burning... (9/6/2011 10:15:47 PM)

I've been keeping tabs through this thread.  Glad to hear all is well so far.  This has made the news in Brazil too.

Cribtop -> RE: Texas is burning... (9/6/2011 11:27:42 PM)

Just to clarify, there are multiple fires. The biggest, the Bastrop fire SE of Austin, is still out of control and literally can be seen from space per a NASA photo. Smaller fires west of town threatened my parents' home and could have threatened mine but those fortunately are now under control. The danger of new fires is ever present, of course.

Shark7 -> RE: Texas is burning... (9/7/2011 12:35:35 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

Just to clarify, there are multiple fires. The biggest, the Bastrop fire SE of Austin, is still out of control and literally can be seen from space per a NASA photo. Smaller fires west of town threatened my parents' home and could have threatened mine but those fortunately are now under control. The danger of new fires is ever present, of course.

Don't forget Possum Kingdom (85% contained last time I checked)...for the 2nd time this summer. And that is only about 60-80 miles from me.

SuluSea -> RE: Texas is burning... (9/7/2011 12:47:29 AM)

It's  sad to hear  what the folks in the Lone Star State are up against , I hope you all get some relief very soon. [:(] [:(][:(]

Joe D. -> RE: Texas is burning... (9/7/2011 1:47:20 PM)

quote:

... Smaller fires west of town threatened my parents' home and could have threatened mine but those fortunately are now under control. The danger of new fires is ever present, of course.

Glad to see you're still here.

They have similar problems with winds and wildfires in Cali, but residents soon discovered that removing any trees and large shrubs near to their homes greatly reduced the chance it would catch fire.

Alekks -> RE: Texas is burning... (9/7/2011 10:55:28 PM)

I'm a bit north of Austin (~60 miles) but work in Round Rock which is just outside Austin. You can pretty much pick any 60-degree arc and see smoke from one fire or another.

Where I live (Belton) our official rainfall for the month of August was 0.00" not even a sprinkle that month. Average daily high was 106. We had our record summer in 1980 with 100 consecutive days of high temps being 100 or more. But that summer, those temps were generally 101-103, nothing like 106-110 like this summer. I'm sure my home's AC unit is ready to mutiny any day now.

Earlier in this thread it was mentioned about the stalled Tropical Storm (Hermine) that stalled out just NW of where I live. We got 11" of rain in less than 24 hours and that plus rains in towns west of here helped cause the 100 year flood mentioned earlier. As bad as the drought is here now, one Meteorologist made the comment that if we had a replay of that scenario, we would only see minor flooding from it. Whatever, we sure could have used Lee heading west instead of NE. Unless we can get some tropical relief soon, the October/Novembers rains seem years away.

Shark7 -> RE: Texas is burning... (9/8/2011 2:20:34 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alekks

I'm a bit north of Austin (~60 miles) but work in Round Rock which is just outside Austin. You can pretty much pick any 60-degree arc and see smoke from one fire or another.

Where I live (Belton) our official rainfall for the month of August was 0.00" not even a sprinkle that month. Average daily high was 106. We had our record summer in 1980 with 100 consecutive days of high temps being 100 or more. But that summer, those temps were generally 101-103, nothing like 106-110 like this summer. I'm sure my home's AC unit is ready to mutiny any day now.

Earlier in this thread it was mentioned about the stalled Tropical Storm (Hermine) that stalled out just NW of where I live. We got 11" of rain in less than 24 hours and that plus rains in towns west of here helped cause the 100 year flood mentioned earlier. As bad as the drought is here now, one Meteorologist made the comment that if we had a replay of that scenario, we would only see minor flooding from it. Whatever, we sure could have used Lee heading west instead of NE. Unless we can get some tropical relief soon, the October/Novembers rains seem years away.

The part of Tx I live in (near Abilene) is so dry that we would actually flash flood from having 11" of rain in 24 hours. The ground is so dry here now that the rain just immediately runs off, doesn't even soak in. There are cracks in the ground of my yard 6" plus wide and no telling how deep they go. We've had a grand total of about 4/10ths of 1 inch of rain since December of last year. [X(]

Cribtop -> RE: Texas is burning... (9/8/2011 3:23:33 AM)

Much better day today. No new fires, all Cribtop dwellings are secure, even the Bastrop monster is starting to get contained. Two bodies were found in Bastrop, however, which puts a damper on things. They burned in their homes yesterday or Sunday. [:(]

zuluhour -> RE: Texas is burning... (9/8/2011 3:51:21 AM)

following the news and thinking about you guys.

morganbj -> RE: Texas is burning... (9/8/2011 1:09:24 PM)

Sadly, once it starts to rain, we'll get two feet in an afternoon and everything will flood.

Hey, but at least we don't get much snow.

joey -> RE: Texas is burning... (9/8/2011 1:21:05 PM)

If you need some water, you can have some of ours. It is flooding in the Philly area. We have gotten over 25 inches of rain in the last few weeks.

Shark7 -> RE: Texas is burning... (9/8/2011 2:13:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bjmorgan

Sadly, once it starts to rain, we'll get two feet in an afternoon and everything will flood.

Hey, but at least we don't get much snow.

Snow would actually be better for us at the moment, it would melt away and not all run off at once causing a flood. [&:]

mike scholl 1 -> RE: Texas is burning... (9/8/2011 3:22:08 PM)

I blame all of Texas' problems on that horribly over-spiced food y'all eat. Tried some on the way through once, and I'll swear the gass I was passing across New Mexico and Arizona could have started range fires by itself. I know it left my sphincter raw and inflamed for days. Don't blame the weather, blame the peppers.. [:D][:D]

Cribtop -> RE: Texas is burning... (9/8/2011 6:07:53 PM)

Mike, it's funny you mention that. I stood in the spice tolerance line first. Jalapenos are a gateway drug. I regularly eat habaneros, scotch bonnets, even a wild concoction made from pure capsacin that a friend once tried and had to go home from work for the day (even I think that one is pretty hot).

My Southeastern relatives are appalled at our spicy food, while we laugh at the Yanks who actually successfully demanded that Pace genetically engineer a jalapeño without capsacin because even the Mild picante sauce was "too hot."

If my life ever depended on winning one contest there is no question I would pick a pepper eating contest. [:D]

Chickenboy -> RE: Texas is burning... (9/8/2011 8:03:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mike scholl 1
I know it left my sphincter raw and inflamed for days.

TMI! TMI! [:-] [:D]

Shark7 -> RE: Texas is burning... (9/8/2011 8:33:55 PM)

quote:

Mike, it's funny you mention that. I stood in the spice tolerance line first. Jalapenos are a gateway drug. I regularly eat habaneros, scotch bonnets, even a wild concoction made from pure capsacin that a friend once tried and had to go home from work for the day (even I think that one is pretty hot).

My Southeastern relatives are appalled at our spicy food, while we laugh at the Yanks who actually successfully demanded that Pace genetically engineer a jalapeño without capsacin because even the Mild picante sauce was "too hot."

If my life ever depended on winning one contest there is no question I would pick a pepper eating contest. [:D]

Hehe, that is so true.

A word of warning to our east coast/northern friends. Just pass on the chili, you can't handle it. [;)]

Around here we like to put Serrano peppers in with our French fries. That's right folks, we fry up French fries with Serrano peppers as part of the mix. And I love to get the peppers out and eat them whole, seeds and all. [sm=sterb032.gif]

mike scholl 1 -> RE: Texas is burning... (9/8/2011 10:03:54 PM)

quote:

What's always been funny to me is that you folks think "hot" is a flavor. It's not. All that spicy stuff was added to food in the days before refrigeration to hide the fact that most of it was spoiled rotten. Just look at the equatorial third world origins of all the "let's set your mouth on fire" culinary traditions. The could feed you folks "cow pies", and with enough hot sauce you would think it was food! [:D][:D][:D]

Cribtop -> RE: Texas is burning... (9/9/2011 3:05:51 AM)

I have a poor sense of smell, so I pretty much taste texture and spice. Subtle flavors are lost on me. You're right, though - the closer to the equator the hotter the food gets as it helped protect from diseases. It also impresses the ladies, though. Oh, and it ensures regularity!

CaptDave -> RE: Texas is burning... (9/12/2011 9:05:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

quote:

Hehe, that is so true.

A word of warning to our east coast/northern friends. Just pass on the chili, you can't handle it. [;)]

Around here we like to put Serrano peppers in with our French fries. That's right folks, we fry up French fries with Serrano peppers as part of the mix. And I love to get the peppers out and eat them whole, seeds and all. [sm=sterb032.gif]

The only chili I ever had in Texas was some of the wimpiest stuff ever (Texas Chili Parlor, in Austin, 5-star variety; I even had 3 or 4 bowls and didn't feel any effects). Can't say I've tried eating Serrano peppers straight, but I have been known to pour enough pepper sauce into a bowl of gumbo that the soup was red instead of brown.

For the record, I've never lived farther south than San Mateo, CA, aside from my two years on Guam. Some of us Yankees can handle the hot stuff pretty well, too! (As long as it's food, not the climate, that is.)

mike scholl 1 -> RE: Texas is burning... (9/12/2011 9:39:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaptDave
Can't say I've tried eating Serrano peppers straight, but I have been known to pour enough pepper sauce into a bowl of gumbo that the soup was red instead of brown.

For the record, I've never lived farther south than San Mateo, CA, aside from my two years on Guam. Some of us Yankees can handle the hot stuff pretty well, too! (As long as it's food, not the climate, that is.)

My basic question remains. WHY? I've watched folks "showing off" with various spicy condiments..., faces getting red, tearing up, having to wash their hands after every bite. WHY? I like to finish a meal with a satisfied and satiated smile and a look of contentment..., not looking like candidate for the Burn Ward in the local hospital.

To each his own..., but I'll never understand it. It's like putting tatoos on a pretty girl. It just isn't right. [8|]

pmelheck1 -> RE: Texas is burning... (9/13/2011 2:47:40 PM)

It was kind of shocking to me to move to Ohio from New Mexico.  I didn't like hot food in NM but their were peppers in more than a few things their.  When I got to Ohio I tried some of the local mex restaurants and found that their hottest foods to me were less than bland.  Guess in the south west one gets used to a different level of heat as others have pointed out.  Funnest thing here is when all us old south west folks get together and  remissness the food from that part of the country.

Chickenboy -> RE: Texas is burning... (9/13/2011 4:24:56 PM)

My wife is originally from New Mexico, so we spent some time there together whilest visiting her family. Mullk-since you claim some origin from NM, can you tell our esteemed colleagues what the official New Mexico state question is?

Lecivius -> RE: Texas is burning... (9/13/2011 5:05:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

My wife is originally from New Mexico, so we spent some time there together whilest visiting her family. Mullk-since you claim some origin from NM, can you tell our esteemed colleagues what the official New Mexico state question is?

How about " How do I get outta here?" [:D]

Sorry, I'm one state to the north, I couldn't resist[;)]

Nikademus -> RE: Texas is burning... (9/13/2011 5:44:35 PM)

I came....I saw.....I left. [:D] Got a friend down there who's working a job 2 hours north of Houston. it is HOT HOT HOT. This poor NW naturalized Native wilted. plus the cattle chased me. [:D]

pmelheck1 -> RE: Texas is burning... (9/13/2011 6:06:01 PM)

were I was from it was Red or Green?

Chickenboy -> RE: Texas is burning... (9/13/2011 8:37:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mullk

were I was from it was Red or Green?

Yup. [8D]

And the obligatory follow-up question from naive Yanks?

CaptDave -> RE: Texas is burning... (9/13/2011 8:43:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mike scholl 1

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaptDave
Can't say I've tried eating Serrano peppers straight, but I have been known to pour enough pepper sauce into a bowl of gumbo that the soup was red instead of brown.

My basic question remains. WHY? I've watched folks "showing off" with various spicy condiments..., faces getting red, tearing up, having to wash their hands after every bite. WHY? I like to finish a meal with a satisfied and satiated smile and a look of contentment..., not looking like candidate for the Burn Ward in the local hospital.

To each his own..., but I'll never understand it. It's like putting tatoos on a pretty girl. It just isn't right. [8|]

Mike, I guess it's a matter of personal preference. Why do people like to cheat death by bungie jumping? Or lose their stomachs on roller coasters? I just like hot food, and can't explain it any more than I can explain why I like peanut butter. I'll just keep eating it as long as my stomach will let me!

Oliver Heindorf -> RE: Texas is burning... (9/13/2011 8:49:01 PM)

Ouch, sorry to hear that. No rain in Texas ? Well, redeploy to germany. We had the wohle summer rain rain rain. Did I mention we had rain ? Unbeliveable what happend here, Three times as many rain as usual the last 4 months. Now I know what Monsoon really means.  Good luck to you.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI