Suggestions for "My First Strategy Game" (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

warhammer: 3025 -> Suggestions for "My First Strategy Game" (9/12/2011 3:29:14 AM)

I'm looking for a military strategy game that would be suitable for a beginner to the genre. I've played games like the Total War series and Civilization for a while, as well as played my dad's copy of Panzer General 2 when I was a kid, and would like to give a try to a more modern turn-based military simulation.

Thanks in advance.

ilovestrategy -> RE: Suggestions for "My First Strategy Game" (9/12/2011 3:52:42 AM)

Other members here could answer that question a lot better than I can but I just wanted to say WELCOME and I love your forum name. [&o]

Lieste -> RE: Suggestions for "My First Strategy Game" (9/12/2011 4:55:46 AM)

If you want turn based, I'd look out a copy of the old V4V games (Utah Beach/Gold Juno Sword/Market Garden/Velikiye Luki) and run them in dosbox. Easy to play, but due to a we-go turn sequence much less hampered by turn-based compromises than normal... (simultaneous move/phased combat within the turn, long moves spanning multiple turns are possible).

If you are prepared to consider non-turn-based then I'd suggest BfTB - at least download and try the demo... the basic game play is straightforward and therefore suited to new players, but a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles of command & logistics allows increasingly nuanced plans. Although the demo only has a single operation, it is playable from both sides, and the entry of reinforcements and availability of supply can be tuned to make the attacker's job easier or harder.
Although the unit scale is  essentially company sized units, handling a Corps sized action is relatively simple, as units act on existing orders till complete/abandoned/cancelled, and the AI will handle orders for the subordinates of the unit given orders by the player (in accordance with player specified instructions).

Other games are also good, but I find pure turn-based offputting and frequently rather tedious, particularly in monster-game format...

Ultimately Id suggest you try as many demo versions of stuff as you can, then re-ask for advice with indications of which play styles you liked best.

warhammer: 3025 -> RE: Suggestions for "My First Strategy Game" (9/12/2011 5:39:49 AM)

Where should I go to look for demos? Blindly browsing through Filefront or FilePlanet isn't really the best way to find files, assuming those sites even carry demos of this relatively obscure genre of game.

Also, what does "we-go turn sequence" mean?

Lieste -> RE: Suggestions for "My First Strategy Game" (9/12/2011 6:22:17 AM)

Time passage in games tends to be one of:

Turn based:
I go - you go where each side takes his turn in sequence, with the other side only capable of limited reaction if at all. Can work ok if turn lengths are short enough that huge distortions in time/space/behaviour can be avoided - but it can cause weird results too.
We-go where both sides plot their desired actions and then movement and combat are resolved in phases until the next 'turn' when orders are again given.

Continuous time - Essentially a very fine-scaled we-go implementation, with orders given that may span many hours/days with an effective turn-length of minutes or seconds. This is the closest to how we actually perceive and deal with time...

V4V is old (1991-4) - but isn't (yet) on somewhere like GOG... Look on ebay or similar for V for Victory or V4Victory with category computer software or video game (both titles are used) - note originally 3.5" floppy, not all machines have this now, but some CD versions are listed. Also note that the engine evolved over the series with all games updated to the most recent engine installed - patches might be available still, but I wouldn't count on it.

BfTB (and a number of other) demos can be downloaded from the Matrix site* http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2526000. Other publishers may have their own demos... you can also try the more reputable gaming sites/review sites, they will often have links to interesting demos etc on publisher's websites or official mirrors.

While I personally hate the design philosophies of SP MBT or SP WW2 (both available as free downloaded versions or paid 'high res' versions) http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Workshop/MBT/MBT_page.html it serves as a sample of turn-based - "individual counter" orders gameplay.

Lieste -> RE: Suggestions for "My First Strategy Game" (9/12/2011 6:30:32 AM)

And do read the help-files/tutorials/watch tutorial videos/AARs for the game you are trying out before just leaping in (or at least some of it)... often just knowing where the various controls are and what possibilities are in the game (even if unused - but recognised as 'being useful next time' [8|]) will make a sound thrashing on the first playthrough an enjoyable rather than frustrating experience [:D]

Reading some background about the campaign can get you more involved too, and I strongly recommend reading at least 'Duffer's Drift' but also as many other simple tactical instructions and field manuals as you find interesting... or can find depending on how enthused you are by military science/art.
With that in mind, post-war soviet doctrine is workable for most periods, and has been analysed quite thoroughly in public-domain documents (US military manuals (declassified)).

IainMcNeil -> RE: Suggestions for "My First Strategy Game" (9/12/2011 10:41:16 AM)

I would start with something like Panzer Corps. It is a perfect entry level wargame and is inspired by the Panzer General series.

Perturabo -> RE: Suggestions for "My First Strategy Game" (9/12/2011 11:34:16 AM)

IIRC Hannibal vs Carthagine demo has a good tutorial, so it may be a good game to start with.

Josh -> RE: Suggestions for "My First Strategy Game" (9/12/2011 4:38:43 PM)

Iain is right, Panzer Corps would be a good choice.
Then later on when you've played that game till you've mastered it, there are other more complex games in the Matrix library such as; War in the East (War in the West in the near future), the new Time of Fury (release date unknown yet) and my all time favorites Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics.

I have to make an addition, John Tillers Campaigns Series is a classic too. It's sold in a bundle now so you have campaigns and scenarios to play for an eternity. And it never grows old. (unlike me LOL)

warhammer: 3025 -> RE: Suggestions for "My First Strategy Game" (9/17/2011 8:16:09 AM)

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I got a copy of Panzer Corps, and it's precisely what I wanted. I'm currently playing through the assault-on-Russia campaign on the easy setting. I wish there was an option to play as the Allies, though.

SeaMonkey -> RE: Suggestions for "My First Strategy Game" (9/17/2011 6:00:58 PM)

Well war3025, when you're ready to step out of the shoes of a Field Marshall into the leadership of a Nation or Alliance with real strategic scope, step over to Battlefront and DL one of the excellent demos of Strategic Command and become a real Wargod.[;)]

Greybriar -> RE: Suggestions for "My First Strategy Game" (9/20/2011 11:03:31 PM)

I am happy to hear that Panzer Corps is precisely what you wanted.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI