Early Allied Strategy (No ColCathcart please) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room

TommyBoy84 -> Early Allied Strategy (No ColCathcart please) (9/21/2011 12:15:38 PM)

ColCathcart and I are just entering Feb. 1942 in our WITP (non-AE) PBEM, CHS scenario 159 (experimental A2A mod).

Mostly due to my inexperience in playing against humans, he's steamrolled me for the most part so far. He took Singapore on January 10th, and has virtually cut-off northern Australia by taking Amboina, Kendari, Makassar, and others in the area. I still hold most of Java, from which I've been running sub patrols and light LB attacks against lightly defended airbases and shipping. My B-17's have taken significant losses, so I transferred them to India, where I'm just about to a level 5 AF at Rangoon, which he's nowhere close to yet.

Thanks to having arrivals set to +/-60 day variability, I got the Yorktown and one of the British CV's early, so I have 6 CV's as of the end of January 1942, 4 currently anchored at PH, and 2 Brit CV's at Columbo. One small advantage I also have, that I'm looking to exploit, is that I pretty reliably have the vast majority his CV's accounted for near the north and east coasts of Australia, pummeling the ships I was trying to evac from the PI and DEI. I have multiple sightings and a good detection level on at least 8 IJN CV/CVL's total in the area, and have sightings of at least a couple more in nearby ports.

Since all his carriers seem to be tied up in the SRA theater, and I'm antsy to at least give him a pinprick, I'm considering a couple ideas for raids in the central Pacific. What would you suggest as potential targets?

I've thought of sending two single CV TF's, one to find and hit shipping in the gap between Wake/Marcus/Sapian/Truk/Kwajelien, and one to make a pre-emptive airstrike at Marcus to try and reduce his ability to spot the anti-shipping CVTF behind it. What do you guys think? Would I be able to patrol the area without being constantly detected for at least a few days, or is there sufficient long-range coverage that I'd be sunk after a day or two?

If nothing else, I want to launch a raid on Marcus (he also controls Wake, which I'd bypass far to the north) to distract him from the SRA and hopefully get him to divert some of his forces in the area to guard against further raids farther north. I figure this will give my forces in the SRA more time to build forts, etc. He's admitted I've slowed him down in the SRA since he took Singapore, mostly because I've kept many of the forces there in place rather than following Sir Robin. Not sure if he was trying to mislead me or not, but he said he's about a month behind where he was hoping to be.

So, I'll cut myself off here by asking: What do you think of my two proposed pinprick raids.... trying to kill at least a bit of shipping in the central pacific gap and/or a raid against Marcus? OR, what are some other targets you suggest for early war allied raids?

tocaff -> RE: Early Allied Strategy (No ColCathcart please) (9/21/2011 6:23:33 PM)

As long as the whereabouts of the KB are known I'd go with raiding my CVs.  I would take into account areas where I could run into heavy LBA and try to avoid that.  I would also be extremely sure that even if he has a reaction force that I'd be long gone,  Remember the possible gains vs. the risks taken.

tankboy -> RE: Early Allied Strategy (No ColCathcart please) (9/22/2011 5:49:39 AM)

I would advise against it. I am a "Sir Robin" fan. There is nothing you are going to accomplish that will be worth risking a carrier. Even damage on a carrier would be bad now. Marshall your strength, focus on building your bases and let the Allied industry take over. Be careful about a full strength attack toward India. Without garrison requirements the entire Japanese Army can show up in India.

tocaff -> RE: Early Allied Strategy (No ColCathcart please) (9/23/2011 12:15:40 AM)

In my game of the AAR I did a Sir Robin.  It does promote force conservation, but it also allows the Japanese player some easy conquests and others at a reduced cost.  That is why I'd go raiding, but all the while it's dependent on knowing where the KB is first.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI