Support Unit Questions (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room

NotOneStepBack -> Support Unit Questions (9/22/2011 3:04:58 PM)

I'm starting to dive into the finer points of the game and unit management and have a few questions on support units. Some are obvious as to where I should attach them, artillerty to infantry, panzer support units to tanks, etc. But where do you attach AA battalions and regiments? Are they better off to be assigned to air bases, or should they be with Corps HQ? Is it reasonable to put them with the front line troops as well to war off enemy air attacks?

Should Army or above HQ's even have any support units? Would it be beneficial to have your construction units attached here? Where do you guys like to put your support units?

heliodorus04 -> RE: Support Unit Questions (9/22/2011 6:06:24 PM)

It's very different for Soviets, but I'll start with the AA.

I see AA in 3 different types:
Light AA that is motorized but not mechanized (so towed)
Self-Propelled Light AA (anything on chassis)
Heavier AA types

The ONLY AA units that I want in infantry divisions is Heavier AA types (think 88 mm guns in infantry support roles)
Self-Propelled and motorized AA can go to panzers to help with interdiction (it won't save you MPs but it might damage planes)

Otherwise, I do NOT want AA battalions in ANY corps level HQ, because it will only use a slot that an artillery or pioneer might use.

I try to get them to the Army Group or OKH level and let them go to the Luftwaffe, where they can do the most good/least harm.

NotOneStepBack -> RE: Support Unit Questions (9/22/2011 8:38:27 PM)

Thanks helio, that is helpful information.

Also, in keeping track of logistics, does anyone have a spreadsheet they use that can be posted, or what detailed information should be watched when managing the Soviet side (production, su, etc.)?

heliodorus04 -> RE: Support Unit Questions (9/22/2011 11:37:23 PM)

I have a sheet for the German side I can explain to you. I would look for Cannonfodder, specifically. I believe he took my German tracking spreadsheet and tailored it to the Soviets. I'd ask him for it. Having played him, he seems to be a very effective organizer.

NotOneStepBack -> RE: Support Unit Questions (9/23/2011 4:37:52 AM)

That would be fantastic.

Caltone -> RE: Support Unit Questions (9/23/2011 2:09:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: heliodorus04

I have a sheet for the German side I can explain to you...

Helio, could you post the German side sheet or a link to the post where it is attached? I searched for it but couldn't find it. Might be my poor recon skills [:D] Just starting a GC and would love to see your thoughts on this.

Q-Ball -> RE: Support Unit Questions (9/23/2011 4:31:15 PM)

In fact, I would target the SP FLak Companies for disbanding. They take up valuable slots.

You need the vehicles in those units later on anyway, when the Panzer Divisions start gaining them in their TOE

Empire101 -> RE: Support Unit Questions (9/24/2011 10:41:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Caltone

quote:

ORIGINAL: heliodorus04

I have a sheet for the German side I can explain to you...

Helio, could you post the German side sheet or a link to the post where it is attached? I searched for it but couldn't find it. Might be my poor recon skills [:D] Just starting a GC and would love to see your thoughts on this.

Me too... it would be exceedingly useful!! [:)]

heliodorus04 -> RE: Support Unit Questions (9/24/2011 2:02:47 PM)

How do I post what I have for you guys? It's an Excel sheet, which comes up as a file type not supported for imbedding into a post.

KenchiSulla -> RE: Support Unit Questions (9/24/2011 3:41:48 PM)

You have to zip it, then you should be able to attach. If that doesnt work I'll host it for you from my website.

I never did tailor that sheet to soviet side. I looked into it and I will do it at some point in time but not yet.

I do have spreadsheets dealing with tracking vehicle build/lost, losses and reinforcements for the soviet side.

heliodorus04 -> RE: Support Unit Questions (9/24/2011 4:00:50 PM)

Okay, this is my version of the Axis Organizer.
I started this and it sucked, then my opponent SpeedyGH (not to be confused with Speedy) updated it to what you see here, basically. Credit where it's due.

I'll show a screenshot of it in the next post, since I can only have 1 file per post. Do let me know if it does not download or unzip right.

heliodorus04 -> RE: Support Unit Questions (9/24/2011 4:02:54 PM)

Here's what it looks like.

[image]local://upfiles/30405/86E6A432C206490DA4A54E9D065AD42F.jpg[/image]

So each Army and Corps has a line entry, and you can track the Artillery, Stug, Pioneer, Anti-Aircraft, Panzerjaeger (not really needed, now that I've used it a lot) and construction units for each HQ, along with the leader and his stats.

Very useful. Not hard to use, really.

I stopped keeping up with the Luftwaffe entries - I haven't removed them yet.
And the Axis minor entries are pretty unnecessary too, at least in terms of SUs. I don't mess with them much.

CarnageINC -> RE: Support Unit Questions (9/24/2011 11:45:09 PM)

looks real useful, I might have to try it out. [;)]  Thanks for sharing it.

Caltone -> RE: Support Unit Questions (9/25/2011 3:26:53 AM)

Indeed, thanks for sharing helio

Wild -> RE: Support Unit Questions (9/26/2011 1:07:19 AM)

Very helpful. Thanks.

NotOneStepBack -> RE: Support Unit Questions (9/28/2011 2:09:51 AM)

This is great, and I will build off of it. My day job is a financial analyst, so Excel is my forte. Maybe I will post a completed one as I'm starting a Soviet PBEM game.

NotOneStepBack -> RE: Support Unit Questions (9/28/2011 4:03:19 AM)

here's my first draft of a Soviet organizer and tracker.

vlcz -> RE: Support Unit Questions (9/28/2011 9:47:40 AM)

Looks like a hell to maintain that... Now its when I more miss a "Witetracker", It would come handy for server play when you do not have acess to your status data with the turn in enemy hands.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI