PT TF's (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room

steamboateng -> PT TF's (10/7/2011 9:25:04 PM)

Maybe I'm missing something here, so please clarify PT ops.
Lets take a nice little scenario such as the Guadalcal one, and set the scene.
I hold Lunga and Tulagi, but the Nips Tokyo Express is sneaking reinforcements ashore at Tassaforanga at nite.
Should I.............
a. Set up a PT TF at Tulagi (historic) w/reaction of one to intercept Nip nite runs.....or,
b. Set up a PT TF to patrol Tassaforanga to intercept same....
The problem is............
PT's have an endurance of 500 nm. They run out of fuel quickly. It's been my experience that they wouldn't return to home to refuel, when set up as a PT Patrol. Was that a glitch, or what.

steamboateng -> RE: PT TF's (10/9/2011 12:21:03 AM)

Anyone!!!!

USSAmerica -> RE: PT TF's (10/9/2011 12:23:51 AM)

I've had some luck setting them to patrol the target hex, and react allowed.  If you set them to only patrol 1 hex, instead of a line or box, they should not burn up all their fuel.  I've even set them up this way to guard their home port hex, issuing them orders to patrol/react that one home port hex.  

steamboateng -> RE: PT TF's (10/9/2011 1:42:40 AM)

Thanks USS America. I gather you had the problem with them running out of fuel when on a patrol, too. I thought that simply setting them up to patrol a zone, that they would automatically refuel at home as required. Is this a glitch if they don't?

Alfred -> RE: PT TF's (10/9/2011 4:49:02 AM)

Why even bother. They are just adjacent hexes so just send them in every turn. If you don't have the infrastructure in place to allow that, then you are trying to use a sub optimal solution to address your problem.

Alfred

witpqs -> RE: PT TF's (10/9/2011 5:28:36 AM)

If you set a patrol zone with one of the waypoints being a base where they can fuel, then set the option for that waypoint to 'tactical refuel' or whatever exactly the choice is, that should work. That is what was recommended a while back for such things as ASW patrols and it seems to work well for that.

Alfred -> RE: PT TF's (10/9/2011 6:57:36 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

If you set a patrol zone with one of the waypoints being a base where they can fuel, then set the option for that waypoint to 'tactical refuel' or whatever exactly the choice is, that should work. That is what was recommended a while back for such things as ASW patrols and it seems to work well for that.

Understand that but that is not the situation which exercises the OPs mind.

1. If he held Tassafaronga then all this **** footing about sending in PTs from Tulagi is just irrelevant. He would just station the PTs permanently at Tassafaronga.

2. If he doesn't own Tassafaronga then sending in PTs from Tulagi becomes a legitimate question. Knowing the regular IJN modus operandi, his current proposed solution is sub optimal. Hence my post #5.

Alfred

steamboateng -> RE: PT TF's (10/10/2011 11:26:45 AM)

Assume I don't own Tassaforanga. I want PT boats to routnely patrol the hex, and refuel at Tulagi as needed. How would that be set up. In other words, simulate the hisyoric ops PT boats performed, patoling the waters between Tassaforanga and Savo Island to intercept the Tokyo express.

crsutton -> RE: PT TF's (10/10/2011 9:14:36 PM)

I don't patrol with them but send them on nightly runs to hexes where I expect Japanese Fast transport, AKLs or barges. Then back to base for more gas.

nashvillen -> RE: PT TF's (10/10/2011 10:24:19 PM)

Just don't use them, they are such a bother. Us JFB's won't miss them, we promise! [:D]

steamboateng -> RE: PT TF's (10/10/2011 10:24:34 PM)

I suppose what I'm saying is that the TF option for 'PT Patrol' doesn't allow the boats to return to home for refueling. Perhaps I should adress the situation to michaelm, to seek a solution.

HansBolter -> RE: PT TF's (10/12/2011 11:53:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: steamboateng

I suppose what I'm saying is that the TF option for 'PT Patrol' doesn't allow the boats to return to home for refueling. Perhaps I should adress the situation to michaelm, to seek a solution.

Yes it does. Look at this screen shot. Start at Tulagi, move to first patrol point at Tassafaronga, move back to Tulagi at second patrol point with Full Refuel set, move back to Tassafaronga for the third patrol point. Rinse and repeat.

[image]local://upfiles/21458/818C07C1498E4C348A9F3BC4E05F407E.jpg[/image]

steamboateng -> RE: PT TF's (10/15/2011 7:42:10 AM)

Got it. Thanks!

dr.hal -> RE: PT TF's (10/16/2011 4:51:48 PM)

HanBolter is right.... but I would make one correction to his screen shot, there is no need to spend "one day" at the port for refueling, that would leave the patrol area uncovered... don't put any time there and the refueling will happen and the boats will go back out as soon as the operation is done (less the operational points it takes to refuel). And in relation to Nashvillen, I must say I couldn't agree with you less... I've found PT Boats to be VERY useful if your idea of sinking enemy ships is useful. Just remember to put a very good and aggressive commander in and you might hike up the threat tolerance to high. Then if you are lucky, they will do a number on your unsuspecting opponent. Hal

nashvillen -> RE: PT TF's (10/16/2011 5:18:34 PM)

dr.Hall and others, please take my comment as it was intended, very tongue in cheek. As a JFB, I detest PT TFs, they are such a bother and do indeed sink my ships, hence the comment to not use them as it would make my xAK's commanders sleep better at night.

Alfred -> RE: PT TF's (10/16/2011 5:59:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: nashvillen

dr.Hall and others, please take my comment as it was intended, very tongue in cheek. As a JFB, I detest PT TFs, they are such a bother and do indeed sink my ships, hence the comment to not use them as it would make my xAK's commanders sleep better at night.

Wouldn't drinking sake be just as efficacious in inducing a sound sleep.

Alfred

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI