Oversized squads! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

molset -> Oversized squads! (1/8/2001 10:43:00 PM)

Greetings gentlemen. I adressed previously a phenomenom I came across during campaign play. Im playing with a v4,5 unpatched install. Did not come across the thing in similar situations with previous versions. The problem: During the Watchword freedom huge SO squads with up to 50 members appeared. This sounds absurd. I was using "reduced squads ON" and I endet up inflicting casualties on Soviet squads mounting to over 40 - 50 parashutists. This was based on the casualty information popping up on the screen, as I play with limited intel on. The size of my squads were normal, or lacking 1 or 2 men (normal, that is). This same thing happened while stawing of a sniper close asault on a separate occasion. My recon boys intercepted a soviet sniper unit and the my recon unit had to inflict 6 casualties before the sniper unit was eliminated. What gives????? Has anybody seen this? While this adds challege to the game it is a bit strange. This is not a constant thing - that is not all SO squads were oversized, only a handfull (3 or 4). Perhaps attached to this problem. The amount of lethal fire from the oversized SO squads seemed to be proportional to their initial size because I was in the beginning of the said engagement (before my tanks had reduced the size of the SO squads or eliminated them) regularly loosing 3 - 4 men in a single squad per SO fire volley and that even when my men were stationary and in a building (their current orders being to advance rather than to defend). This "bug" reduces the usefullness of my Gerry infantry and the Soviets become a litteral E-meatgrinders! Regards Molset "Jakki er ekki frakki nema sidur se".

BA Evans -> (1/8/2001 11:58:00 PM)

If you want to use reduced squads: 1. Purchase your forces with reduced squads - ON. 2. Deploy your forces with reduced squads - ON. 3. Start the battle with reduced squads - ON. 4. Before you move anything, shoot, etc. turn reduced squads - OFF. This way you have your reduced squads when the battle begins and the unit size is set for the duration of the battle. If you leave reduced squads - ON during the battle, the computer will constantly keep changing the size of the AI's units, thus 'replacing' casualties. BA Evans

Larry Holt -> (1/9/2001 12:06:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by BA Evans: 4. Before you move anything, shoot, etc. turn reduced squads - OFF. This way you have your reduced squads when the battle begins and the unit size is set for the duration of the battle. If you leave reduced squads - ON during the battle, the computer will constantly keep changing the size of the AI's units, thus 'replacing' casualties. BA Evans
Interesting. I've not seen this phenomenon of the AIP replacing its casualties in regular long campaign games. If you know, does this only occur in pre-built scenarios or what? Thanks ------------------ An old soldier but not yet a faded one. OK, maybe just a bit faded.

molset -> (1/9/2001 6:05:00 PM)

Hi BA! Thanks for the advice. I try this. Larry! This strange oversize squad thing I have only seen in premade campaign and it only appeared recently. I cant tell if this is happens in scenarios since I rarely play them. Hopefully BA´s advice undoes this problem Best regards gentlemen Molset "Jakki er ekki frakki nema sidur se"

BA Evans -> (1/9/2001 11:59:00 PM)

I had this problem in scenarios for the 2.x version of SPWAW. I have not seen this problem in more recent versions. The above procedure worked for me. The key is to turn reduced squads off once the battle has begun. I hope this helps you. BA Evans

Ivancito -> (1/10/2001 7:43:00 PM)

I had the same thing happen in v.4.1, with batallion-sized Polish squads [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] I'm playing with Reduced Squads off right now, but I thought this has been fixed in the later versions. [This message has been edited by Ivancito (edited January 10, 2001).]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI