Allied Supply strategies in recapturing Darwin (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room

jeffs -> Allied Supply strategies in recapturing Darwin (11/21/2011 6:40:08 AM)

Is there any way to supply a large allied offensive from Tennant Creek to
take back Darwin? I tried all sorts of things (moving a batch of HQs to the front line...using the set desired supply let
at max levels....Using transports and bombers to bring in supply)...

It all seems like only a little would get to the front lines by the time you get near Katherine...

Any thoughts...strategies...tips...programming cheats.....bribes to developers? Anything?

noguaranteeofsanity -> RE: Allied Supply strategies in recapturing Darwin (11/21/2011 7:22:07 AM)

There is a supply cap on Daly Waters, Tennant Creek and Katherine, which appears next to the amount of supply at each base (eg Max: 100).   I believe the way to raise this limit is to build up the airfield and fortifications, as the supply cap is multipied by the airfield, fortification and port size/levels.

herwin -> RE: Allied Supply strategies in recapturing Darwin (11/21/2011 7:24:50 AM)

Australia supplied Northern Australia from Darwin. That should be a hint.

castor troy -> RE: Allied Supply strategies in recapturing Darwin (11/21/2011 7:38:38 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffs

Is there any way to supply a large allied offensive from Tennant Creek to
take back Darwin? I tried all sorts of things (moving a batch of HQs to the front line...using the set desired supply let
at max levels....Using transports and bombers to bring in supply)...

It all seems like only a little would get to the front lines by the time you get near Katherine...

Any thoughts...strategies...tips...programming cheats.....bribes to developers? Anything?

you need a couple of hundred engineers/eng vehicle and some time. First you pull lots of supply into Alice Springs (unlimited due to the rail connection), use the "pull supply" "stockpile" order at Tennant Creek and also 200 transports (if available) to fly in supplies to Tennant Creek first. When there are several thousand tons supply stockpiled there send in your eng units and start building forts and the airfield. For every fort/airfiled level you get an additional 100 supply points Tennant Creek can draw. Shouldnīt take long and you should be able to draw 1000 supplies/day. Then itīs time to move to the next base. Rinse and repeat up to Katherine that got a rail connection to Darwin.

jeffs -> RE: Allied Supply strategies in recapturing Darwin (11/21/2011 9:40:30 AM)

Thanks... I think I did do that the last time (I know the airfields were near max....Maybe not the forts....
Thanks[8D]

CT Grognard -> RE: Allied Supply strategies in recapturing Darwin (11/21/2011 2:35:48 PM)

I foresee Japanese LRCAP over Tennant Creek... [:D]

Itdepends -> RE: Allied Supply strategies in recapturing Darwin (11/21/2011 10:31:43 PM)

Note that Tenant creek won't draw 1000 points of supply per day at a combined fort/airfield level of 10. It'll draw 1000 points per supply "run" but because Tenant creek is joined to Alice Springs via a trail the supply routine doesn't run daily, it's only once or twice a week (from memory). I can't remember where I read this (manual or on forum) but only bases connected by major rail/road draw supply daily.

spence -> RE: Allied Supply strategies in recapturing Darwin (11/21/2011 11:41:20 PM)

From the sound of it the way to Darwin seems to be through New Guinea (both N and S coasts)...in any case. If the IJ Player wants to hold it he will have to garrison it strongly and any troops put there will have no particular place to go. Presumably the IJA will also find it difficult to supply their troops on any drive South from Darwin beyond the end of the RR.

jeffs -> RE: Allied Supply strategies in recapturing Darwin (11/22/2011 3:24:15 AM)

Clearly taking Darwin/Katherine is fairly easy.... For the IJA to drive on Tenant Creek and Alice Springs...Not nearly as easy.

>From the sound of it the way to Darwin seems to be through New Guinea (both N and S coasts)
Clearly if the Allies can take Western NG (both N and S coasts) it would be hard for the IJA to even justify staying in Darwin...
Once the allies build up a few bases (assuming from the 2nd half of 1943) it would be a fine place to do air attrition and one could expand to
the DEI as well with air covered island hopping....

crsutton -> RE: Allied Supply strategies in recapturing Darwin (11/22/2011 5:44:39 AM)

I can tell you for sure that you will have a very difficult time pulling it off. I sent a strong overland campaign to retake North OZ, about 100,000 troops. But after a while my forces just would not draw supply. I could not supply 100,000 troops, and the air units required to support them. I trapped 60,000 Japanese troops in Darwin, had all the bases built up and supported but watched my supply just erode and all my airbases eventually not able to fly any strike missions. The Japanese were trapped there for about two months or more but I could not keep my troops surrounding Darwin in supply. Eventually he was able to evacuate the whole mass under under the nose of my 600 aircraft-none of which would fly due to low supply. I got Darwin but he got away. He probably could have held out there for six more months.

So if the Japanese force is large then no, you can't do it. If you are talking a Japanese force of a couple of divisions or so, then yes you should be able to do it but be very careful.

My advice is to plan on an amphibious campaign.

herwin -> RE: Allied Supply strategies in recapturing Darwin (11/22/2011 7:35:48 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

I can tell you for sure that you will have a very difficult time pulling it off. I sent a strong overland campaign to retake North OZ, about 100,000 troops. But after a while my forces just would not draw supply. I could not supply 100,000 troops, and the air units required to support them. I trapped 60,000 Japanese troops in Darwin, had all the bases built up and supported but watched my supply just erode and all my airbases eventually not able to fly any strike missions. The Japanese were trapped there for about two months or more but I could not keep my troops surrounding Darwin in supply. Eventually he was able to evacuate the whole mass under under the nose of my 600 aircraft-none of which would fly due to low supply. I got Darwin but he got away. He probably could have held out there for six more months.

So if the Japanese force is large then no, you can't do it. If you are talking a Japanese force of a couple of divisions or so, then yes you should be able to do it but be very careful.

My advice is to plan on an amphibious campaign.

Darwin is a backwater. Treat it as a self-supporting POW camp.

castor troy -> RE: Allied Supply strategies in recapturing Darwin (11/22/2011 7:46:58 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Itdepends

Note that Tenant creek won't draw 1000 points of supply per day at a combined fort/airfield level of 10. It'll draw 1000 points per supply "run" but because Tenant creek is joined to Alice Springs via a trail the supply routine doesn't run daily, it's only once or twice a week (from memory). I can't remember where I read this (manual or on forum) but only bases connected by major rail/road draw supply daily.

yes, thatīs correct, itīs of course not each day. You should still get enough supply up to Darwin with built up bases between Alice Springs and Katherine though.

dr.hal -> RE: Allied Supply strategies in recapturing Darwin (11/22/2011 2:57:39 PM)

If an Allied player, the best strategy is not to LOOSE it in the first place! But I do like the idea of building up the supply chain to the place. That helps. But I fear that the losses due to attrition along the way would be excessive, am I right here (as it is a secondary road system)?

crsutton -> RE: Allied Supply strategies in recapturing Darwin (11/22/2011 3:01:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Itdepends

yes, thatīs correct, itīs of course not each day. You should still get enough supply up to Darwin with built up bases between Alice Springs and Katherine though.

I have about 3 divisions worth of infantry and support troops in Darwin and it is not getting enough supply. There is virtually no supply flow to any point beyond Daily Waters. I have no other base in Australia pulling supply that I know of-but better go back and check.

crsutton -> RE: Allied Supply strategies in recapturing Darwin (11/22/2011 3:03:51 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

If an Allied player, the best strategy is not to LOOSE it in the first place! But I do like the idea of building up the supply chain to the place. That helps. But I fear that the losses due to attrition along the way would be excessive, am I right here (as it is a secondary road system)?

A reasonably competent Japanese player should be in Northern Australia by May or June of 42. I see no way that the Allied player can hold it, if the Japanese player wants it.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI