LOG! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room

Nikademus -> LOG! (4/23/2012 7:23:39 PM)

be EXTERMINATED!

[image]local://upfiles/452/AC64C7E22C4A4BCBB5ACB7A39CAAE8BE.gif[/image]

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/23/2012 7:31:02 PM)

Just say, "No!" to extermination..... and log. [:-]

treespider -> THE THREAD!!! (4/23/2012 7:32:43 PM)

-

[image]local://upfiles/15342/2DF5D5012F5948F8933636CE4418995D.jpg[/image]

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/23/2012 7:37:04 PM)

1943???

Nikademus -> LOG! (4/23/2012 7:42:44 PM)

1941!

[image]local://upfiles/452/D5F0D015632F4F94BB97F5AD3347DDAF.jpg[/image]

treespider -> THE THREAD!!! (4/23/2012 7:57:41 PM)

Yes.

AW1Steve -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/23/2012 8:12:42 PM)

I've always been surprised that the pledge of allegiance is as popular as it is. When you think about it , except for immigrants and "reconstructed" ex-confederates , it's really a bit of an insult to ask for a pledge from full , existing citizens. And it's really only been popular since the 1950s (excepting war time). [&:]

It's also interesting that the pledge is to the flag, not the constitution. (Any thoughts guys? And BTW , I'm not unpatriotic , only curious).[&:] [:)]

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/23/2012 8:20:27 PM)

I guess I always considered the constitution to be covered by the "... and to the republic for which it stands" part. A flag is a more visible, tangible symbol that even the least educated people can relate to.

I was surprised, given all the recent hubub, to see the "under God" phrase missing from a 1943 version of the pledge.

treespider -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/23/2012 8:20:51 PM)

Personally I'm not necessarily opposed to the Pledge in and of itself...in particularly students reciting the Pledge at school...what I find amusing is the fervor the phrase "under God" generates....and the perception that its always been a part of the pledge considering it was not added until 1954.

Dixie -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/23/2012 8:30:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

It's also interesting that the pledge is to the flag, not the constitution. (Any thoughts guys? And BTW , I'm not unpatriotic , only curious).[&:] [:)]

The whole world, not just you colonial types, seems awfully attached to flags considering they are just bits of fabric stitched together in nice patterns. If the most important thing you can find to pledge allegiance to is said bit of fabric then you're welcome to your country... On the same lines, I don't care if you burn a bit of fabric then go right ahead.

It's just a flag.

treespider -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/23/2012 8:33:34 PM)

So enough seriousness for one day...may you all be blessed with an A.D.D. 17 year old son who decides its ok to insert the first liquid dish soap he can lay his hands on into the dishwasher because he needs to get back to the living room to continue watching "The day after tomorrow" for the 26th time...as opposed to opening the kitchen cabinet and actually using the dishwasher detergent.

Also because a little is never enough he filled the soap dispensing compartment to the brim with the liquid dish soap...

(not an actual photo...just an artists rendition)

[image]local://upfiles/15342/D55F9CF35CEC40C1B459AEE01026AF66.jpg[/image]

Schanilec -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/23/2012 9:12:24 PM)

Reminds me of when someone threw detergent into the fountain downtown. I thought it pretty funny seeing that driving to work in the morning. Wish I had thought of that.

AW1Steve -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/23/2012 9:54:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

quote:

The whole world, not just you colonial types, seems awfully attached to flags considering they are just bits of fabric stitched together in nice patterns. If the most important thing you can find to pledge allegiance to is said bit of fabric then you're welcome to your country... On the same lines, I don't care if you burn a bit of fabric then go right ahead.

It's just a flag.

Actually , you need to examine your own history my friend. It was the RN that introduced the concept of "firing a volley for the honour of the flag". And many a local poetantate and "WOG" found himself on the wrong end of a volley if he didn't pay proper respect to the Union Jack. My former home town of Portland Maine (At the time, Falmouth) was shelled and levelled , burned to the ground by the RN in 1775 because it didn't display the Union flag and did display a "Liberty tree". [:D]

I think the UK has changed significantly in the last 30 years on the subject. Certainly my own experice of almost 30 years ago indicated it. This was 1983 (the year after the Falklands War) and along with an abundent display of Union flags, I encountered feirce patriotism. To the point of being loudly and firmly told off when I made the mistake of reffering to my classmates as "citizens". Or as Europeans. yet most Brits I talk to today call themselves both. [:)]

I tend to think of we "colonials" as simply being slower to change and more stubborn about it. [:D]

jeffk3510 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/23/2012 10:09:43 PM)

Good afternoon everyone. I have been very busy and away from The Thread!!! for a bit... how is everyone doing on this fine day?

nashvillen -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/23/2012 10:25:22 PM)

Too busy to do my part of our game! drat!

Dixie -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/23/2012 10:29:21 PM)

quote:

Actually , you need to examine your own history my friend. It was the RN that introduced the concept of "firing a volley for the honour of the flag". And many a local poetantate and "WOG" found himself on the wrong end of a volley if he didn't pay proper respect to the Union Jack. My former home town of Portland Maine (At the time, Falmouth) was shelled and levelled , burned to the ground by the RN in 1775 because it didn't display the Union flag and did display a "Liberty tree". [:D]

I think the UK has changed significantly in the last 30 years on the subject. Certainly my own experice of almost 30 years ago indicated it. This was 1983 (the year after the Falklands War) and along with an abundent display of Union flags, I encountered feirce patriotism. To the point of being loudly and firmly told off when I made the mistake of reffering to my classmates as "citizens". Or as Europeans. yet most Brits I talk to today call themselves both. [:)]

I tend to think of we "colonials" as simply being slower to change and more stubborn about it. [:D]

Ah yes. The Royal Navy. Just because they did it first doesn't mean I'm going to follow them [:'(]

I'm not going to call myself a citizen or a European. I'm English, not that it seems to count for much in today's culture.

AW1Steve -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/23/2012 10:36:39 PM)

quote:

quote:

Ah yes. The Royal Navy. Just because they did it first doesn't mean I'm going to follow them [:'(]

I'm not going to call myself a citizen or a European. I'm English, not that it seems to count for much in today's culture.

It should.

Out of curiousity , our children pledge allegegiance to the flag. (Probably cause they can't get their minds around taking an oath to the Constitution (as do our military, and appointees or elected officials). To what does the British military or government take their oath to? Still the monarch? [&:]

Terminus -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/23/2012 10:39:50 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

It's just a flag.

You're just generally slow...[:'(]

Dixie -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/23/2012 11:07:40 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

It should.

Out of curiousity , our children pledge allegegiance to the flag. (Probably cause they can't get their minds around taking an oath to the Constitution (as do our military, and appointees or elected officials). To what does the British military or government take their oath to? Still the monarch? [&:]

No, it really shouldn't. We're talking about an organisation which feels bell bottom trousers are a sensible form of attire for uniforms. One where they shout man overboard at someone walking on the grass and who go for a run ashore from a barrack block.

We still pledge allegiance to Liz and her family. Seeing as I found my Oath of Allegiance from day 01 in the RAF...

I Martin
swear by Almighty God
that I will be faithful and bear true
allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Second,
Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will as in
duty bound, honestly and faithfully defend
Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, in Person, Crown and
dignity against all enemies, and will observe and obey
all orders of Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors,
and of the Air Officers and other Officers
set over me

Still, that's 8 years ago now. Today's kids probably don't understand half of the words in there. [:D]

Schanilec -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/23/2012 11:09:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

Good afternoon everyone. I have been very busy and away from The Thread!!! for a bit... how is everyone doing on this fine day?

Just getting ready to head home on a beauuuuuuuuuuuuuuutiful day.

Terminus -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/23/2012 11:25:57 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It should.

No, it really shouldn't. We're talking about an organisation which feels bell bottom trousers are a sensible form of attire for uniforms. One where they shout man overboard at someone walking on the grass and who go for a run ashore from a barrack block.

We still pledge allegiance to Liz and her family. Seeing as I found my Oath of Allegiance from day 01 in the RAF...

I Martin
swear by Almighty God
that I will be faithful and bear true
allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Second,
Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will as in
duty bound, honestly and faithfully defend
Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, in Person, Crown and
dignity against all enemies, and will observe and obey
all orders of Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors,
and of the Air Officers and other Officers
set over me

Still, that's 8 years ago now. Today's kids probably don't understand half of the words in there. [:D]

What does "I" mean?

Dixie -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/23/2012 11:28:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

What does "I" mean?

I: the one who is speaking or writing

Terminus -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/23/2012 11:29:31 PM)

What does "the" mean?

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/23/2012 11:29:32 PM)

Hi all,

Zsssssssssss time... [>:][>:][>:]

Leo "Apollo11"

Dixie -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/23/2012 11:33:40 PM)

quote:

What does the" mean?

" is a quotation mark. Either of a pair of punctuation marks used primarily to mark the beginning and end of a passage attributed to another and repeated word for word, but also to indicate meanings or glosses and to indicate the unusual or dubious status of a word. They appear in the form of double quotation marks (" ") and single quotation marks (' '). Single quotation marks are usually reserved for setting off a quotation within another quotation.

P.S. You are stretching the word kid to breaking point. [:'(]

Terminus -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/23/2012 11:49:44 PM)

Boy, you sure are smart, Mr. Alcock, Sir!

khyberbill -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/24/2012 12:53:18 AM)

quote:

I've always been surprised that the pledge of allegiance is as popular as it is.

My wife passed her US citizenship interview today and will be taking the oath next week and is looking forward to that. In fact, she informed me at dinner that she needs a new dress.

Terminus -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/24/2012 1:04:17 AM)

None of you guys remembered my seventh anniversary. I has a sad now.[:(]

treespider -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/24/2012 1:13:55 AM)

Did I hear correctly that the entire Dutch Government resigned en mass today?

Chickenboy -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (4/24/2012 2:38:37 AM)

quote:

None of you guys remembered my seventh anniversary. I has a sad now.[:(]

Well, happy 7th, dude. [8D]

Page: <<   < prev  176 177 [178] 179 180   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI