What were they thinking? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

LargeSlowTarget -> What were they thinking? (11/29/2011 9:42:23 PM)

The USN had the USS Manlove (DE-36).

The IJN had the DD Asagao, which translates to "Morning Glory".

And the RN had this ship [came across when researching gun boats]

Yaab -> RE: What were they thinking? (11/29/2011 9:46:50 PM)

Yeah, what were they drinking?

Gunner98 -> RE: What were they thinking? (11/29/2011 10:06:47 PM)

Yes and I'm sure the whole 'Insect-class' of boats sent shivers through everyones spine [:D]

Nikademus -> RE: What were they thinking? (11/29/2011 10:34:00 PM)

without resorting to Google, IIRC an old WWI naval tomb...the Insects were designed for specialized riverine warfare in the Middle east. RN efforts there were pretty essential to the Entente victory in Persia. (aka Iran/Iraq area)

wdolson -> RE: What were they thinking? (11/29/2011 10:44:59 PM)

I haven't seen that particular HMS vessel in the OOB.  It should show up sometime in 1945.

Looking over a combat report I noticed Allied planes attacking the Sinko Maru.  Doing a quick search, I think the English spelling is more often Shinko Maru.  It was worth a laugh though.

Bill

jeffk3510 -> RE: What were they thinking? (11/29/2011 10:58:01 PM)

That is the funniest thing I have heard all day.

Redsunrizing -> RE: What were they thinking? (11/30/2011 12:02:22 AM)

These river/coastal gunboats were considered an important part of the Empires policing strategy, and most of the time were the only thing stopping a local revolt. You have to remember that between the wars, the British Army was pretty thin on the ground. The RAF was used to show the flag in the vast inland regions, and these type of gunboats did the same in coastal and riverine regions.

Mike Solli -> RE: What were they thinking? (11/30/2011 12:05:52 AM)

The Commander in Chief, US Fleet acronym used to be CINCUS, pronounced Sink Us. It was changed in December, 1941. Hmmm.....

USS Henrico -> RE: What were they thinking? (11/30/2011 12:53:44 AM)

So did this Insect class include HMS Stink Bug?

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: What were they thinking? (11/30/2011 1:07:48 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

The Commander in Chief, US Fleet acronym used to be CINCUS, pronounced Sink Us. It was changed in December, 1941. Hmmm.....

We got over it in 1960. CINCUSNAVEUR ever since.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: What were they thinking? (11/30/2011 1:08:50 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

I presume you looked up the source of this name? I would have been proud to have served in her.

She sunk an I-boat to boot.

Sredni -> RE: What were they thinking? (11/30/2011 3:02:02 AM)

Just language drift I assume for stuff like HMS Cockchafer heh. Like how the words gay or fag mean totally different things then they did 50 years ago.

jeffk3510 -> RE: What were they thinking? (11/30/2011 3:35:01 AM)

I guess if I were around in Cockshafer's day, it would mean to me then what it does now.

Hahaha!

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: What were they thinking? (11/30/2011 3:44:26 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sredni

Just language drift I assume for stuff like HMS Cockchafer heh. Like how the words gay or fag mean totally different things then they did 50 years ago.

Manlove was an electrician killed in the USS Arizona on 12/7/1941.

Sredni -> RE: What were they thinking? (11/30/2011 4:21:16 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Manlove was an electrician killed in the USS Arizona on 12/7/1941.

Yes, I looked that up after your post as well. Would they still name a ship after someone named Manlove these days given what it means to us now? I dunno. I'd guess again that something like Manlove (like cockchafer) just didn't have the same meaning back then as it would today.

Gunner98 -> RE: What were they thinking? (11/30/2011 6:06:29 AM)

I think we're a lot more sensitive to names today - ACRONYMS are the killer though. Can't think of one at the moment but I know the Cdn Army Comd has a Maj review all ACRONYMS to make sure that they are not offensive in either French or English. I remember several years ago sitting around a table with about 10 guys for a couple hours working out the name for a new course: A good English name would translate to the ACRONYM COCK or something in French, a good French name would equal GAG or something in English. A nightmare. [:D]
B

LargeSlowTarget -> RE: What were they thinking? (11/30/2011 7:58:14 AM)

quote:

quote:

I presume you looked up the source of this name? I would have been proud to have served in her.

Of course I did. Got 5 battle stars. No denigration of DE-36 or Arthur Cleon Manlove intended.

The insect cockchafer is also known as may bug or spang beetle or the Billy witch.

The insect class gunboats (but not the HMS Cockchafer) were included in WitP-CHS - wondering why they did not made it into DBB. HMS Cockchafer was assigned to the Eastern Fleet and operated in the Persian Gulf in 1941. She was sent to the Med in 1943 and returned to the Pacific in 1945. In my mod, she starts the war at Abadan (I also included the other Insects Cicala, Moth, Aphis, Scarab plus the other PGs the RN and USN were operating in Asia). Not an important adition to the game, but more stuff to play around, some eye candy, and sort of memorial for those less glamourous and thus almost forgotten "small boys".

Cavalry Corp -> RE: What were they thinking? (11/30/2011 12:57:25 PM)

Glorious days of our Empire when maps were Pink and before the world went mad and no longer appreciated us...

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: What were they thinking? (11/30/2011 1:35:19 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Of course I did. Got 5 battle stars. No denigration of DE-36 or Arthur Cleon Manlove intended.

It was difficult for me to square this statement with the title of the thread.

If you meant no offense or denegration I accept your word for that.

FWIW there are 3.5 screens of listings for "Manlove" in Minnesota white pages.

jeffk3510 -> RE: What were they thinking? (11/30/2011 2:16:42 PM)

Not really military, but the local private KCAC school in Wichita, Kansas.... it is now Friends University. It used to be Friends University of Central Kansas... and yes, the acronym was what you think it was.

crsutton -> RE: What were they thinking? (11/30/2011 6:51:42 PM)

Well, I can reference a certain "empire" that named a whole class of warships after flowers.....I can't imagine the "Amaranthus" striking a whole lot of fear into the hearts of the enemy.

bigred -> RE: What were they thinking? (11/30/2011 11:40:57 PM)

Hey LST, here's your buddy...

[image]local://upfiles/27655/F381B790FC9D4970A290C79C3F430C26.jpg[/image]

terje439 -> RE: What were they thinking? (12/1/2011 12:48:57 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gunner98

I think we're a lot more sensitive to names today - ACRONYMS are the killer though. Can't think of one at the moment but I know the Cdn Army Comd has a Maj review all ACRONYMS to make sure that they are not offensive in either French or English. I remember several years ago sitting around a table with about 10 guys for a couple hours working out the name for a new course: A good English name would translate to the ACRONYM COCK or something in French, a good French name would equal GAG or something in English. A nightmare. [:D]
B

Honda learned about this when they released what is now known as Honda Jazz/Honda Fit.
The original name was Honda Fitta. All good, right? Well, in Norwegian that means "Honda pu**y"...

Terje

Mynok -> RE: What were they thinking? (12/1/2011 1:26:24 AM)

I suspect Manlove was an Anglicization of Manlowe. Even more confident knowing what areas the name appears numerous in.

wdolson -> RE: What were they thinking? (12/1/2011 2:29:12 AM)

Zuikaku means Fortunate Crane (sometimes translated as "Happy Crane")
Shokaku means Flying Crane

Bill

Feinder -> RE: What were they thinking? (12/1/2011 3:57:52 AM)

HMS Cockchafer - "... as the 5th RN ship to carry this name."

I guess whatever it is, it's contagious.

-F-

Gunner98 -> RE: What were they thinking? (12/1/2011 4:59:22 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Well, I can reference a certain "empire" that named a whole class of warships after flowers.....I can't imagine the "Amaranthus" striking a whole lot of fear into the hearts of the enemy.

Yes - imagin the terror of being hunted by a flotilla consisting of "Azalea, Buttercup, Coriander, and Geranium"! Well the North American portion of the Empire changed the the names to towns - so being tracked down by "Battleford, Chicoutimi, Moosejaw, and Wetaskiwin" would be much more daunting[:D]

That is one ugly bug[X(]

B

warspite1 -> RE: What were they thinking? (12/1/2011 5:41:42 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Warspite1

You may want to ask almost 30,000 U-boat crew if that is true....[;)]

Gunner98 -> RE: What were they thinking? (12/1/2011 5:52:40 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

You may want to ask almost 30,000 U-boat crew if that is true....[;)]

Touché - just talking names - not deeds[;)]

Having been a tourist on HMCS Sackville in Halifax - I cannot imagine the guts those guys had facing the North Atlantic winter in a boat that small. Add to the shear misery the stress of ASW work and sinking U-Boats to boot...[&o] That's why I joind the Army[:D]

B

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: What were they thinking? (12/1/2011 5:58:21 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

I suspect Manlove was an Anglicization of Manlowe. Even more confident knowing what areas the name appears numerous in.

Looks to be from French.

See http://www.houseofnames.com/manlove-family-crest

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI