RE: A Southwestern Rumble Andav (J) v witpqs (A) open for now (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

Andav -> RE: A Southwestern Rumble Andav (J) v witpqs (A) open for now (1/10/2012 12:39:30 AM)

Boise is a true PITA. Seeing her Magazine explode was very nice. I was worried we might lose the turn because of a problem with one regiment of the 4th division disappearing.

Jan 6th and 7th

The first wave marched into Singapore and was pretty well mauled. One division and several regiments were fairly well trashed. The Arty seemed to go over unharmed. The rest should arrive in another 2 days. I think it will be enough to take the base early.

Manila fell. Clark is under siege and basically waiting to die on the vine.

Progress is being made in SoPac as well. new Caledonia will be next. I think that will be the end of the Pacific expansion. It is strange to be thinking the ending Pacific expansion in Jan-Feb 1942. The main push will be in China to open the route from Singapore to Korea.

Wa

vicberg -> RE: A Southwestern Rumble Andav (J) v witpqs (A) open for now (1/10/2012 4:20:33 PM)

I'm considering right now a northern OZ push from Koepang and Java. From PM, I might try for Townsville. Supply lines are short. Committment is relatively small. Denies the northern bases for a jump off. It also gives forward bases for some deep strikes from the KB.

Andav -> RE: A Southwestern Rumble Andav (J) v witpqs (A) open for now (7/27/2012 4:36:11 PM)

A revival of sorts for this AAR (I hope). Here are a few quotes from earlier in the AAR:

China

This will be sorted out and will probably not be talked about a lot. It is War in the Pacific not Land War in China.

And another quote:

I really don't like China. I will clean up the south (Chuhsein and Wenchow) and try to make some advances in the north. I know it is probably letting witqps off the hook a bit but with the land model the way it is, I will do what I have to do and then hold.

Well ... My prospective has changed a lot over the last 6 months. We are now in August 1942 and China has become very important to me. It is also very entertaining. I plan to post updates about China (and other things) mainly so witqps and I at some point in the future can talk about what we were each thinking during this time. I have played a lot of both classic WitP and AE. In WitP you just kinda built huge blobs of armies and hoped for the best. My other current AE game (May 43) is a 2x2 where I do not have China. Combined with the stacking limits in Babes, this makes me pretty much a novice when it comes to China. Over the last several game months, much to my amazement, I formed a plan and it actually seemed to work! Go figure.

More to come later. This was mainly to help me find my AAR and move it up to the first page.

Wa

Andav -> RE: A Southwestern Rumble Andav (J) v witpqs (A) open for now (7/27/2012 7:29:36 PM)

23-Mar-42

Here is a picture of central China. At this time, while I would like to say I was doing probing attacks looking for weaknesses, I was really pretty much bumbling around trying to push Chinese units where I could. Unfortunately, I had run into several areas where witpqs had decided to defend.

My main attack was coming from Wuchang but ran into the hex just east of Changsha. Witpqs had stacked about 75k troops here (the limit for the hex) and even with over stacking the hex, I still could not budge these guys. I beat my head against this wall a couple of times, complained in the Tech Support section and was basically told to deal with it. In one message, JWE said, “Andav, dude, think ‘elegance’”. This was a turning point for me.

Considering this, I had to make some decisions:

1) Was a major commitment in China something I really wanted to do in the spring of 1942?
2) If it was something I elected to do, how could this be accomplished with “elegance”?
3) What the heck was “elegance” to begin with?

In this mod, there are cargo limits on most shipping. From chatting with Vic (the “Eyebrow on the Money AAR opponent”, I decided opening the land route from Singapore to Korea for the flow of fuel and such should be a priority. This would require clearing central China sooner rather than later. So the answer to question one was Yes.

So to answer question 2, I really needed to answer question 3 first. Obviously, over stacking to try to push where I wanted would not work. All the little scattered armies would not work either. Witpqs could stack enough guys to hold me at bay. Frankly, I was pretty depressed about how China was working out. Here is what I decided to do.

First I defined “Elegance” as “Maneuver”. I would move small units into places where witpqs was not in hopes of drawing units away from the places I wanted to go. The main goal would be to cut the road/rail lines to help slow movement. While this did expose the probing units to being defeated in detail, the Chinese move slowly even on roads so moving back and forth would take time. This would also force him to use supplies to attack. Anytime you can make the Chinese use supplies is good especially once the Burma Road is closed. I needed more units so much of the army which was wrapping up Java was ear marked for transport back to China. Most were landed in the port to the Hanoi or in Canton to supplement those vectors.

There is a second part to “Elegance”. Is there anything more elegant then an airplane? Especially 150 or so flying in formation over an open hex with Chinese marching along the road? It is pure “Elegance”. I made the choice to commit most of my air force to China.

One thing I learned from Wenchow was light industry is a pain in the posterior. Since we are playing a pretty wide open game, I began a serious campaign to destroy any heavy or light industry in the area. This way, I would not have little pockets of supplies, no matter how small, appearing to help the defenders. This required a lot of perseverance and dodging of the AVG. In the end, the vast majority of the Japanese air force was transferred to bases ringing the perimeter. Probably too late in the game, I started concentrated airfield bombing. I was running into 3 and 4 forts which required time to reduce.

The third thing I picked up was the use of tanks. GreyJoy commented about Radars “Blitz” in India. I decided to commit to sending as much armor as possible to China.

With these elements, I began a 5 month campaign to clear the land route to Korea.

Wa

[image]local://upfiles/24959/8FBC96EDF97C4D0CA71329B4A1FD132B.jpg[/image]

Andav -> RE: A Southwestern Rumble Andav (J) v witpqs (A) open for now (12/5/2013 5:23:17 PM)

Well ... I am bumping this so I do not lose it again. I will open this to witpqs for just a bit since we are already in Oct of 43 and there is nothing here he could benefit from in the current situation.

Wa

witpqs -> RE: A Southwestern Rumble Andav (J) v witpqs (A) open for now (12/5/2013 7:32:06 PM)

I've used my temporary permit from Andav.

I find the AAR quite elegant. [:D]

Definitely the right strategy in China. But that won't save you!

[sm=scared0018.gif]

Andav -> RE: A Southwestern Rumble Andav (J) v witpqs (A) open for now (12/5/2013 7:51:12 PM)

Bah! I have you right where I want you! No get out of my AAR! [:D]

Wa

obvert -> RE: A Southwestern Rumble Andav (J) v witpqs (A) open for now (12/5/2013 10:12:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andav

Bah! I have you right where I want you! No get out of my AAR! [:D]

Wa

Good to see a post!

Any plans to update? I'd love to see the economy and strategic position from your side.

Andav -> RE: A Southwestern Rumble Andav (J) v witpqs (A) open for now (10/22/2015 3:22:24 PM)

Just resurrecting this zombie to give witpqs and I a pat on the back. We just processed turn 1000! Yeah us! [sm=character0272.gif]

It has been a long and fun road so far. I could not ask for a better opponent.

I guess since Obvert ask so nicely almost 2 years ago, I should do an update from the Japanese side. Maybe later ...

Wa

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI