Uncommon Valor v2.0 Officially Released! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific

David Heath -> Uncommon Valor v2.0 Officially Released! (11/8/2002 10:51:31 AM)

Hi Guys

Uncommon Valor v2.0 is now Official. The file is 42 megs and will update all versions Uncommon Valor to version v2.0. To download the patch gamers will need to use the True Updater that comes with UV. We will be placing it on our download section later on over the weekend. As always please let us know what you think of the patch.

Please refrain from using official looking posts on the forum for jokes. From the emails I got this seemed to confused many of our customers. Thank you for your support.

David Heath
Matrix Games

USSAmerica -> (11/8/2002 10:56:18 AM)

David,

I pity your poor file server over the next few days! Thanks for the continuing hard work! :cool:

Adam Parker -> (11/8/2002 11:21:48 AM)

David will true updater remember where the download is up to if I get booted off my internet connection? Never d'loaded such a file size before.

Very much looking forward to this as I got lost between updates due to work/family etc., so a fresh clean look and rules book will suit me.

Adam.

Raverdave -> Re: Uncommon Valor v2.0 Officially Released! (11/8/2002 11:33:49 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by David Heath
[B]

Please refrain from using official looking posts on the forum for jokes. From the emails I got this seemed to confused many of our customers. Thank you for your support.

David Heath
Matrix Games [/B][/QUOTE]

I think that I am on someone's sh1tlist:o

Von Rom -> (11/8/2002 12:08:57 PM)

David: Thanks for the information and great work.

Will the patch also be available as a stand alone download? I use GetRight as my download manager, and would prefer to be able to download the v2.0 patch and save it on a separate disc.

Cheers!

CapAndGown -> Re: Re: Uncommon Valor v2.0 Officially Released! (11/8/2002 12:23:47 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Raverdave
[B]

I think that I am on someone's sh1tlist:o [/B][/QUOTE]

Bloody Australians. :p

David Heath -> (11/8/2002 12:35:42 PM)

We are planning on it placing it on the download server for some time next week.

Ross Moorhouse -> List of things updated in v2.0 (11/8/2002 3:18:30 PM)

Update Notes for v2.0
1) The next/previous buttons for IJN carrier air groups should now work correctly in all
instances.
2) The TF orders screen now shows the number of ships in the TF.
3) American dive-bomber groups, which begin the game on aircraft carriers, no longer
increase their max ready size when transferred to a land base.
4) PT Boats don’t use fuel when set to patrol (if they don’t move out of their hex).
5) A nationality column has been added to the ship sunk display.
6) A message is now displayed when coast guns are attacking transports. The map is
now centered and a naval gun icon is placed in the hex. Specific hits are not
reported.
7) Air units on Port Attack will attack without a specific target assigned used to attack
ground targets. Now they will attack a port.
8) Coastwatcher spotting is now reported in PBEM play.
9) A phantom mouse hotspot reporting a non-existent base in the upper left corner of
the map has been eliminated.
10) Fuel and Cargo capacity should no longer appear on the same line in the ship detail
screen.
11) A victory screen will now appear to report an IJN auto victory.
12) A stand down button has been added to the Secondary Mission list on the air unit
orders screen. This will set a unit to the Training mission with 0%, thus resting the
unit.
13) Duplication of P-39 units in the combat animation screen should no longer occur.
14) Sometimes transport task forces attempting to unload, especially at an invasion hex
were not allowed to unload and head home, when they should be allowed to unload.
Surface action task forces, carrier task forces or shore batteries may still chase off
transport task forces, but if nothing untoward occurs, they will now be allowed to
unload.
15) The F2 toggle, which has displayed shallow water hexes, now displays an ‘s’ for
shallow water hexes and a ‘c’ for coastal hexes. Coastal hexes are considered to be
shallow water hexes for all purposes, except that they contain some land. The player
may now load and unload at any coastal hex, but not in a shallow water hex (by
definition these contain no land).
16) It has been realized that instances of what appeared to be units suddenly appearing
in an enemy base were caused by AI controlled TF’s picking up enemy units. This
bug should have been fixed in version 1.40.
17) Casualties to ground units caused by air and naval bombardments have been
reduced. Casualties to ground units caused by strafing aircraft have been greatly
reduced.
18) Routine Convoys should no longer pick up ground troops.
19) IJN ASW effectiveness has been reduced by 50%.
20) Aircraft skip bombing or strafing TF’s should no longer overconcentrate on one ship.
21) A6M2’s now upgrade to A6M5’s instead of A6M3’s. Japanese aircraft at the start of
the August 1, 1942 scenarios should now be A6M2’s instead of A6M3’s.
22) Ships were using a maximum of 900 op points to load troops (saving 100 for
supplies). Now they can use up to 1000 op points to load troops if at a large enough
port.
23) The bomb load out of Val’s and Judy’s have been changed (increased) and the
range of Val’s has been shortened.
24) When the Japanese player captures Brisbane or Noumea, the artificial intelligence
for the Allied player will no longer continue to send out routine supply missions and
use Japanese ships, if they are in port.
25) The in game data base should no longer show American torpedo bombers using
250kg bombs for extended range missions, instead of 500lb bombs.
26) The bombing and general quarters sound should no longer play when a patrol plane
spots and identifies a surface ship.
27) Subs should no longer fire torpedoes at barges and PT boats. They should surface to
fire guns at barges.
28) Air units will not upgrade plane types until the number of new aircraft in the
replacement pool amounts to 125% of the needed aircraft for the upgrade of an IJN
unit and 133% of the needed aircraft for the upgrade of an Allied unit
29) Counter strikes by aircraft that originate at a carrier just sunk, should now function
normally. They used to go to the combat animation screen but no actual combat
would occur.
30) Noumea now provides automatic supply to bases that have a clear road path to it.
31) Damaged planes in an air group that is transferred will always cause a new sub
group to be formed (they will not automatically merge with another air unit).
32) The effectiveness of LR-CAP over carrier TF’s has been reduced.
33) The aircraft loss screen now allows all aircraft losses to be shown.
34) The map is now centered and a naval gun icon is placed in the hex when a naval
bombardment is in progress.
35) The scrollmouse function should work better than before, although it does not work
perfectly in all situations.
36) The range circles for aircraft located on ships now function in the same fashion as
range circles for land based aircraft.
37) AV airgroups should no longer grow so that they overload the AV.
38) TF’s that would sometimes get stuck and not move at all over several turns when
trying to speed into their destination hex at night (like a minelaying TF with relatively
little fuel) should no longer get stuck.
39) Allied ships will no longer arrive in Noumea when controlled by the Japanese player.
Supplies and fuel will no longer arrive in Truk, Noumea, or Brisbane when controlled
by the enemy.
40) Rule Clarification: Air groups on carriers will not receive replacements unless the
carrier is at anchor or in a TF docked in a port.
41) Ground units should no longer be assigned to a base.
42) The AI should no longer move Northern Command units out of Australia.
43) Air units may no longer select Recon as a secondary mission.
44) After clicking on an option in the TF orders screen that would display a short
message, the player could experience problems if they clicked on another option
before the message finished. This problem has been fixed.
45) Warships in a TF should do a better job keeping submarines from executing attacks
with guns on the surface.
46) Program now requires clean start for PBEM execution. If any other saves have been
loaded or new campaigns started, before execution of PBEM, the program will now
alert the player that "Security Procedures" require a program restart. This will resolve
the VCR issue and tighten PBEM security some.
47) Player choice has been automatically changed to human vs. human, when a PBEM
game was selected. This has confused some players. The program now remembers
the last player choice made before a PBEM game is selected and returns to that
choice, when the PBEM game is exited.
48) A method of changing the terrain while playing a game has been removed from the
program.
49) New file compression feature for PBEM files. It will load the old, uncompressed
files or the new, compressed files. It will always save in the new compressed
format.
50) Bombers sometimes would not attack naval units at anchor. Fixed.
51) Human player ships carrying mines are now reloading proper number of mines.
52) Air groups are now always assigned secondary missions.
53) Occasionally, air attacks seem to slip by CAP. To better explain what was
happening we added more air-air combat text. Air groups are broken into flights or
sections and each group attacks. If disruption is too high, the flight will not engage.
Causes for high flight disruption include things such as fatigue, low fuel, low
ammunition and lots of damaged or destroyed planes.

Uncommon Valor OOB Changes v2.0:
1) Increased Kongo class BB deck armor rating from 80 to 130.
2) Increased Nagato class BB deck armor rating from 125 to 150.
3) Modified D3A Val as follows: Decreased cruise speed from 214 to 184, increased
maneuver from 22 to 24, decreased endurance from 330 to 300, added two 60 kg bomb
to external bomb load. Changes altered normal radius from 392 to 307, and extended
radius from 294 to 230. Hard coding to provide 250 kg bomb + two 60 bombs at normal
radius, and 250 kg bomb at extended radius.
4) Modified D4Y Judy as follows: Decreased cruise speed from 295 to 265, increased
endurance from 200 to 220. No significant changes to normal radius or extended radius.
5) Modified B5N Kate as follows: Decreased max speed from 235 to 229, decreased
cruise speed from 189 to 159, increase endurance from 330 to 350. Changes altered
normal radius from 347 to 309, and extended radius from 260 to 232.
6) Modified B6N Jill as follows: Decreased cruise speed from 237 to 207, increased
endurance from 270 to 350. Changes altered normal radius from 356 to 403, and
extended radius from 267 to 302.
7) Modified SB2C Helldiver as follows: Increased max speed from 270 to 281, increased
endurance from 300 to 380. Changes altered normal radius from 313 to 397, and
extended radius from 235 to 298.
8) Changed aircraft 35 from Ki-43-Ia Oscar to Ki-43-Ib Oscar as “b” was more common
type in theatre. This changes second 7.7mm Type 89 MG to 12.7mm Ho-103 MG.
9) Adjusted aircraft carrier deck armor ratings as follows:
Class Name Current Deck Armor Rating Altered Deck Armor Rating
Akagi 25 50
Kaga 25 35
Soryu 25 25
Hiryu 25 25
Shokaku 98 65
Junyo 5 5
Hosho 0 0
Ryujo 10 10
Zuiho 5 5
Ryuho 10 10
Lexington 50 50
Yorktown 37 35
Wasp 37 25
Essex 75 50
Independence 50 50
Victorious 75 110
10) Adjusted bomb names, effects, and penetration ratings as follows:
Device Name Current Effect Current Pen Altered Device Name Altered Effect Altered
Pen
30 kg Bomb 66 16 30 kg GP Bomb 66 11
60 kg Bomb 132 33 60 kg GP Bomb 132 22
100 lb Bomb 100 25 100 lb GP Bomb 100 17
250 lb Bomb 250 60 250 lb GP Bomb 250 45
500 lb Bomb 500 125 500 lb GP Bomb 500 85
1000 lb Bomb 1000 250 1000 lb GP Bomb 1000 170
2000 lb Bomb 2000 500 2000 lb GP Bomb 2000 340
4000 lb Bomb 4000 1000 4000 lb GP Bomb 4000 670
100 kg Bomb 220 55 100 kg AP Bomb 150 55
250 kg Bomb 551 140 250 kg AP Bomb 370 140
11) Updated Allied aircraft carrier weapon data. Miscellaneous items update includes
changes to number and location of 1.1” guns, 40 mm guns, 20 mm guns, and .50 cal
MG. Changed Victorious class name to Illustrious. Thanks to Ron for the research.
12) Added 4.5in/45 QF Mk I Gun to slot 151 of device data. This gun is utilized in the
Illustrious class CV main armament. Thanks to Ron for the research.
13) Updated Allied battleship weapon data. Miscellaneous items update includes
changes to size and caliber of some guns, number and location of 40 mm guns, 20 mm
guns, and 5 inch guns. Changed Maryland class name to Colorado. Thanks to Ron for
the research.
14) Updated Australia, Leander, and Arunta class weapon data. Miscellaneous items
update includes changes to location, number, size and caliber of some guns. Thanks to
Ron for the research.
15) Updated Japanese destroyer class weapon data. Miscellaneous items update
includes changes to location, number, size and caliber of some guns. Thanks to Gaylon
for the research.

DoomedMantis -> (11/8/2002 4:13:29 PM)

So now its going to be even harder to sink US subs, its hard enough as it is

Luskan -> (11/8/2002 5:25:42 PM)

Your mines at GG are doing just fine I think . . .

siRkid -> #50 Additional Info (11/8/2002 6:49:20 PM)

I would like to add some info on #50 because it will have a big impact on the game. Ships at "dock" could not be attacked by aircraft 99% of the time. Once your supply ships made it safely to dock (port size 3 of higher) they could unload without threat of being attacked even if an enemy base was 2 hexes away. This will no longer happen. Beware if you try and unload within range of enemy aircraft, you will now pay the price. Also, some players were using the tactic of docking their carriers to protect them but could still launch strikes from them. This made the carries almost invulnerable. This tactic will no longer work.:p

Rick

U2 -> Re: #50 Additional Info (11/8/2002 7:10:01 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kid
[B] Also, some players were using the tactic of docking their carriers to protect them but could still launch strikes from them. This made the carries almost invulnerable. This tactic will no longer work.:p

Rick [/B][/QUOTE]

I will still win!;) :p

Dan

siRkid -> New sounds (11/8/2002 7:40:23 PM)

Hey I like the cheering when you take over a base.:)

Oh, that WAS your base U2.:D

U2 -> Re: New sounds (11/8/2002 7:53:09 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kid
[B]Hey I like the cheering when you take over a base.:)

Oh, that WAS your base U2.:D [/B][/QUOTE]

I noticed it too:D

Dan

Sonny -> (11/8/2002 7:58:04 PM)

Is that ALL the changes???

Just kidding guys. This is a massive change. Thanks for all the hard work that went into these changes.

When I updated I got a message, something about couldn't rename file #2 in line 5 - or something to that effect. Was just wondering if that was because I had renamed the movie folder to something else.

:)

mariovalleemtl -> Great! (11/8/2002 8:40:59 PM)

Merci boucoup !

mario

victor semensi -> I can play again!! (11/8/2002 8:42:55 PM)

Thanks for the great work. Haven't played since Sept waiting for this patch. The invulnerable ships in port and useless long range bomb load out for the Vals kept me from starting another campaign. Just in time for the long winter nights up here.

DoomedMantis -> (11/8/2002 8:43:28 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sonny
[B]Is that ALL the changes???

Just kidding guys. This is a massive change. Thanks for all the hard work that went into these changes.

When I updated I got a message, something about couldn't rename file #2 in line 5 - or something to that effect. Was just wondering if that was because I had renamed the movie folder to something else.

:) [/B][/QUOTE]

I had this same message, but reinstalled the patch and it worked that time

Has anyone else noticed their machines running slower since the patch update?

Art_Ozols -> (11/8/2002 11:02:58 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DoomedMantis
[B]

I had this same message, but reinstalled the patch and it worked that time

Has anyone else noticed their machines running slower since the patch update? [/B][/QUOTE]

I also had the same error message
Checking what the error might have affected, I found that True Update no longer functions.

Performed a reinstall, the error message did not re-appear, but True Update still does not funtion

Does the error message below affect True Update?

"When I updated I got a message, something about couldn't rename file #2 in line 5 - or something to that effect. Was just wondering if that was because I had renamed the movie folder to something else"

The error message True Update generated after both installs was the same:

Error executing file
C:\MatrixGames\UncommonValor\TrueUpdate.exe
The System cannot find the file specified

Has anyone else experiencing this problen with True Update. The game itself works fine, no problems

Thanks,
Art

Toro -> (11/8/2002 11:39:12 PM)

True Update procedure ran fine for me. FYI.

Pawlock -> (11/9/2002 12:25:38 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Art_Ozols
[B]

I also had the same error message
Checking what the error might have affected, I found that True Update no longer functions.

Performed a reinstall, the error message did not re-appear, but True Update still does not funtion

Does the error message below affect True Update?

"When I updated I got a message, something about couldn't rename file #2 in line 5 - or something to that effect. Was just wondering if that was because I had renamed the movie folder to something else"

The error message True Update generated after both installs was the same:

Error executing file
C:\MatrixGames\UncommonValor\TrueUpdate.exe
The System cannot find the file specified

Has anyone else experiencing this problen with True Update. The game itself works fine, no problems

Thanks,
Art [/B][/QUOTE]

I had problems first off , try closing everything down and run "true update" from within the UV folders. Still get that common error message everyone is reporting ,but nothing else up to now.

David Heath -> (11/9/2002 1:42:05 AM)

Hi Guys

We are now using the Windows Registry Settings to install and find the game directory. This will allow everyone to update there game just a little easier. If you are having a problem with True Update (which you shouldn't) look in your home directory of UV. If you used the default it would be c:\Matrix Games\Uncommon Valor.

You will find a file called settings.org it should be renamed to settings.ini This should allow the old setting.ini file be used IF you have not installed the v2.0 patch. If you have the game is checking the registry and that file is not being used.

If you click on the "More Information" link it will bring you to a page that will show you all the updates and changes in v2.0 as well.

All downloaded updates are placed in your Patches sub-folder off of your main game directory. The update files are not deleted once they are installed. So if you downloaded the update files ready you do not have to download them again. Just double click on the update you want to install.

More later.

Yamamoto -> (11/9/2002 5:05:44 AM)

I have some modified files – art files only I think. Will TrueUpdate work ok or will it die if some file doesn’t match the expected value? If it does update OK, will my art files be changed? If so, I need to know ahead of time so I can back them up.

Yamamoto

Ross Moorhouse -> (11/9/2002 6:18:36 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Yamamoto
[B]I have some modified files – art files only I think. Will TrueUpdate work ok or will it die if some file doesn’t match the expected value? If it does update OK, will my art files be changed? If so, I need to know ahead of time so I can back them up.

Yamamoto [/B][/QUOTE]

Just back up your art files first. The use Update and if they over write the files then you can use the back ups you made.

zman -> unable to download 2.0 (11/9/2002 7:34:16 AM)

Ross,
I have also received the "FTP error, line 15, file#2 not found" message. This ends with a failed download attempt through true update. I have tried on 3 separate occasions and receive the same message approx 4mb into the process. Using windows explorer, I looked for the settings.org and settings.ini files you mentioned. The only setting file in the directory had no extension and was a small config file. Was this the one I should rename?
I am using xp in case the operating system has an effect.
Looking forward to an answer and the ability to play the new version. Someone else mentioned a reinstall-- does this mean that I should also reinstall the patches in sequence if I try that method?
Thanks
ZMAN

Adam Parker -> (11/9/2002 8:11:25 AM)

For the team - happy to report no problems downloading and updating 2.0 via True Updater.

Win98, 56k modem took 4 hours (quick and smooth to my surprise).

True Updater only reported the patch as I think, 37meg instead of the 42 David listed but it went about its work and applied the patch fine. Just fired up and no issues.

Adam.

Fred98 -> (11/9/2002 8:40:30 AM)

I too have a dial up modem.

I estimated 3 hour download

At the 2 hour mark it died - twice.

Is there any reason for the patch to be so large???

patrickl -> (11/9/2002 9:04:04 AM)

Hi,

I too have 56k modem. My 1st & 2nd attempt resulted in failure at 2 & 4MB milestone - something about line fault. Managed to download Ver 2.0 in the 3rd attempt - in 2 hours 45 minutes. I supposed there is nothing much we can do except to hope for the best. Keep trying and good luck!:)

Thanks very much Matrix & 2By3 and all beta testers for your great work!:) :)

David Heath -> (11/9/2002 9:36:46 AM)

Hi Guys

For those guys losing connection its because of the phone lines. But let it not be said that Matrix does not love its fans. I had a little nap and will be making a quick mini install. It will have just the must have files.

David

siRkid -> (11/9/2002 9:37:30 AM)

Time to get cable. 15 min this morning to download.:D

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI