RE: January 13, 1942 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

John 3rd -> RE: January 13, 1942 (3/8/2012 6:34:23 PM)

That is what I meant! Thanks...

Dan Nichols -> RE: January 13, 1942 (3/8/2012 8:31:41 PM)

And make sure you have some fuel at Wake, or the ACM will not work.

John 3rd -> RE: January 13, 1942 (3/9/2012 5:11:41 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dan Nichols

And make sure you have some fuel at Wake, or the ACM will not work.

THAT is an excellent note!

John 3rd -> Goodness (3/9/2012 4:54:10 PM)

Combat Report
January 14, 1942

This is a pretty interesting day where several major events are played out and major things are hinted at in the results.

North Pacific
About half-a-dozen TF are unloading at Paramushiro Jima. There are now 48 Jake FP here doing search while getting ready for the hop over to Attu.

Central Pacific
I've grabbed 5 DD to move to Jaluit and will add a pair of cruisers within a couple of days.

South Pacific
CV Zuikaku reaches Rabaul and immediately attaches herself to an AR. Her stats are not bad (22 Sys--2 Flot--7 Eng) and all of it is repairable. Shift her three Squadrons over to training and we'll see how quickly that SYS # can be knocked down.

Hit Port Moresby with 27 Zero and 18 Bombers to find no planes present. Lew has pulled them back to Aussieland.

Land at Milne Bay. Will now load construction units and bring them in from Rabaul.

KB STRIKES! The TF is VERY low on fuel and it makes a rendezvous with 3 8,000T AO and drains them. The CVs turn into the wind and launch 23 Zero, 26 Val, and 51 Kate at the shipping near Suva. Results are somewhat poor as my Zero blast through a few fighters: 1 DD, 2 DMS, 1 AP, CA New Orleans (2 Bombs), and CL St. Louis (2 Bombs) are hit. An AK, AG, AP, and CM are sunk. Recon shows 24+ ships in Port. Hmmmm...swing KB SW to cutoff escape from the island and prepare for another day of strikes at Range 7. Two Daitai of Kates are shifted to Naval Attack/Port Attack: Suva. The AF is reported to have 12 Fighters, 38 Bombers, and 36 Other Planes. Those bombers make me nervous but we'll see what happens. I've still got a few Torps and plenty of sorties.

A Strike by 24 Vals finds DD La Triomphant and the nimble DD manages to avoid ALL the bombs. Well done to her and her crew.

Start to concentrate a strong BB TF at Lunga: 2 BB, 2 BC, 1 CL, and 12 DD are converging here. Will form them into two TF and send them to pay Suva a visit.

Philippines
Bataan: BANZAI! My 3 Inf Div attack gets a 2-1 result that lowers Forts to ZERO. Stacking limits bite my buttocks though as the three ID are disrupted at over 60%. Will take a few days to rest and then FINISH Bataan. How about that? I shall--REALISTICALLY--have ALL of Luzon by January 20, 1942. That is fantastically crazy. BANZAI! The Aussie Operation looks to be fully on track for the established timetable.

Have already got enough shipping to lift 3 ID out of here as soon as they are available. DMS are standing by to sweep the minefields.

Java
Take Bandjoewangi on the eastern tip. Move 21st Brigade towards the next city.

Hit Soerabaja heavily this turn and destroy a bunch of planes on the ground. Three Raids destroy nearly 18 planes.

Attack Bandoeng and gain a 1-1 dropping Forts to 0. Will attack again tomorrow and capture the target.

Cocos MUST be Lew's egress point for air and ground units. I attack the AF for the first time with bombers and encounter several P-40s. The Strike of 31 Betty lose 4 planes to 6 P-40 but plaster the AF destroying another 12-18 planes there. Two separate CA Bombardment TF will hit the base over the next two days. Will continue beating up those planes as well as sink any shipping trying to get in. If I had a 3rd CV to join my other two I would be a sweep into this area, however, Enterprise might be lurking and I cannot afford that risk at this juncture.

Soryu improves 1 Sys Point, Shoho improves an Eng point, and Zuiho repairs a Sys point at Batavia.

Malaya
The 18th and Imperial Guards take hex 49,78 and move south to where there are 13 units (14,000 troops). My Tanks are moving on the coastal town to prevent a retreat in that direction so things look pretty good. Notice Johore Bharu grew by two units last turn. Perhaps a build-up for an attempt at opening a line of retreat? I'd try that. What can it hurt?

China
Lots of chaotic movements as the Japanese begin a reorganization for the Sian Campaign.

Sub Ops
I-169 joins in the chaos at Suva by sinking AG Bridge and damaging AK Alabaman (sunk by Kates later).

Another I-Boat misses CL St. Louis there. That would have been sweet!

Reinforcements
A large addition set of Fleet additions are moving along nicely. I will get CV Junyo, CVL NIsshin, BB Yamato, and 7 DD all within 40-45 days. The CVs will immediately head for the DEI to strengthen that Flank.

9th Air Fleet is tasked with supporting the Eastern side of the Aussie Operation and those units are filling out nicely. This powerful formation starts the war at Cadre strength (30-40%) at Kyushu and needs time to come up to strength. Same can be said for their 3 Daitai of Fighters, 2 Daitai of Bombers, 1 Daitai of TB, 1 Daitai of Vals, 3 Chutai of Mavis, and 3 Chutai of short legged FP. A total of 261 Aircraft will move with the LCU (Air Fleet HQ, 3 Air Flotilla, 3 large Base Force) starting February 1st. 9th Air is the single biggest addition to the IJN Order-of-Battle at the start of the war with RA. The Air units start in the low-to-mid 50s but--with time and training--shall be ready for Operations beginning March 1st.

To say that the Fleet is 'banged up' is an understatement right now. My ships need some TLC in a Port with repair facilities. MUST get ahold of something pretty quickly...

[image]local://upfiles/18041/EB0FD004BF3C4C9198B73B1D4C425579.jpg[/image]

John 3rd -> Around the Horn (3/12/2012 4:56:21 PM)

Combat Report
January 15-17, 1942

Three excellent, result filled days for Dai Nippon.

North Pacific
No issues. I've got 24 FP operating out of Attu now and another Fast TF is carrying in 2 more Construction Bn. The AF there should go up to 1 within 5-6 days.

Central Pacific
No excitement. Mined Wake and have a tender there now.

South Pacific
Land at Milne Bay and Shortlands and grab both of them.

Hit Port Moresby by an average of 27 Zero and 20+ Bombers each day. Am slowing building up damage on the AF. Still find the occasional Vindicator present here.

Have the Lae Invasion Force put together. It will sail tomorrow from Rabaul.

KB ACTION: Over these three days, the KB does a slow counterclockwise move around Suva sinking a number of targets. Refueled the empty ships (consuming over 20,000 Fuel and emptying my 3 AOs) so they are good to go for a week of operations. Results:

Jan. 15th: Bad Weather cancels morning strikes but afternoon flies (23 Zero, 25 Vals, and 53 Kates) and sinks a PC and DD while damaging 7 AK, 2 AP and shooting down 5 American Fighters. Move to due south of Suva.

Jan 16th: Two solid strikes fly (25 Zero, 50 Val, 26 kate and 23 Zero, 72 Val, 53 Kate) and shot down 6 American Fighters for 2 Zeros lost. A total of 10 AK, another DD, and an AG are sunk with 2 AK, a DD, and an AP hit. Many vehicles are destroyed aboard the ships. Move to east of Suva and close enough to Pago Pago to hit the Port.

Jan. 17th: Hit Pago Pago with 21 Zero and 52 Kates hitting 4 AK and an AS within the Harbor.

Am nearly OUT of sorties so it is time to get home. Order a retirement to Luganville while passing Suva for one last day of strikes. NICE WORK for the CVs. Over the four days of these attacks, a total of 18 ships are sunk with nearly two dozen damaged. Several units loaded on these ships were severely damaged and took real losses so that helps too. Taking off CA New Orleans, CL St Louis, and sinking 2 DDs help the cause nicely.

Philippines
Bataan: Order a Shock Attack on the 17th and DARNED NEAR get the entire hex! The result is a 2-1 attack (417--153) that drops the Forts to ZERO. The base will fall to my next assault. The 4 Inf Div are heavily disrupted (70+) due to overcrowding. They will sit for 2-3 days and then I will have Bataan.

Mindanao: 65th Brigade and 90th Regiment are about to enter the Cagayan hex. Have all the comonents of 56th ID about to be at Cotobato. Will combine the ID and send it towards Cagayan as well to finish off this island.

Java
Looks like I am stalled in the west at Bandoeng. Attack and get a 1-2 on the 15th. Don't have anymore Infantry for the moment so will sit and try again in a few days.

The 21st Brigade is moving out from the east and will enter the next town SE of Soerabaja tomorrow. 2nd ID will land tomorrow and join the fray pretty quickly.

Cocos Isle
Fighting here continues with my Betty--Nells hitting the AF everyday causing airframes to be destroyed on the ground.

16th: 2 CA and 9 DD sink two large AK and bombard the AF.

17th: 4 DD tangle with a KV and 6 AK sinking ALL of them! The totals for lost out of this convoy are pretty big: 124 Guns and 278 Vehicles. What the HECK was that? Still cannot figure out if he is pulling stuff out of bringing stuff in but this one HAS TO HURT! [sm=00000028.gif]

Australia
Have an invasion Force moving in on Corunna Downs area and my Paras shall take Derby tomorrow.

CV Hiryu and Ryujo are NW of Perth about 15 hexes. They are not spotted and should see some action if there is any shipping in this area.

Malaya
Attack 10 units at Kuala Lumphur on the 17th. 18th ID nearly gets a 2-1 and drops Forts to ZERO. Tomorrow Imperial Guards will carry the attack with 18th ID set to pursue.

Burma
Just gathering the clans at Moulmein.

China
Movement everywhere as I shift stuff around for the Sian Campaign. Am approaching Nanyang with 4 Inf Div.

SS Operations:
15th
I-169 hits AK Steel Trader with 1TT on the 15th near Suva (sunk by air strike later in the day)

16th
I-8 hits a mine at Suva on the 16th. APPEARS to be OK and can make it home.
I-10 sinks AK Salamaua near Gau on
Ro-34 puts in a STELLAR performance at Sabang, YUM! In one days she fires all of her TTs sinking AP Glenapp, and damaging AK Catrine and AP Khandetta. NICE! [sm=00000106.gif]

Reinforcements:
Have a batch of units meeting in Tokyo for shipping South. Will detail when I have them loaded and organized.

DD Kazegumo arrives at Pt Arthur on the 15th.

Engineering:
15th: Eniwetok AF-2, Mukden AF-7
16th: Jehol AF-7
17th: Paramushiro Jima AF-3, Kaifeng AF-4, Kota Bharu AF-5

SUMMARY:
Cocos remains a fertile hunting ground and a bit of a mystery. The only way he can stop my attacks is commit CV Enterprise to the effort. If he does, I have 54 Zero, 54 Nell/Betty, and 30 Kates ready to fly.

KB Raid: Nice productive work sinking and damaging ships as well as hurting reinforcing units.

The Philippines look GREAT! Malaya will be solid as well. Decide to add an Inf Div from Luzon (upon Bataan Surrender) to help for a quick finish. Plan to move 4 ID east to Rabaul after Bataan Falls. They will form the Assault unit to hit near Sydney. Will add another Division to the Java Campaign after Mindanao is complete. I will now predict that the the DEI, Malaya, and Philippines shall be finished no later then February 15th.

Damaged CVs: Soryu--Sys 20, Flot 36, Eng 3, Shoho--Sys 40, Flot 53, Eng 2, Zuiho--Sys 10, Flot 38, Eng 33, Zuikaku--Sys 21, Flot 2, Eng 4.

Here is the convoy sunk off Cocos on the 17th:

[image]local://upfiles/18041/3BB1A12C902244FEBB2EC5E45B899195.jpg[/image]

ny59giants -> RE: Around the Horn (3/12/2012 6:27:32 PM)

The shipping that may hurt are the DDs sunk. Never enough in early '42. The next is if he lost any APs that upgrade to APAs in Feb '32 that are extremely valuable.

John 3rd -> RE: Around the Horn (3/13/2012 3:59:48 PM)

Could be a vvery true statement Michael!

John 3rd -> The Tankers are Burning... (3/13/2012 4:21:26 PM)

Combat Report
January 18, 1942

Carrier action around Suva and Geraldton this turn and Japanese boots now walk upon Aussie soil.

North Pacific
Attu will see its AF go to Sz-1 tomorrow.

Central Pacific
My small Raiding Force of 6 DD are well on their way to Kwajalein. Will attempt to add a pair of CLs to it and then let them take a swipe at Christmas Isle.

South Pacific
Lae: Landing about to begin there.

Rabaul is beginning to really reflect a build-up at this point. LOTS of ships, units, and aircraft filling it. AF is expanding at a good clip. Need that Sz-7 sooner then later.

Shortlands is getting a Base Force so I have a middle leg in the Truk--Rabaul--Lunga--Luganville air pipeline.

Milne Bay is getting engineers to begin AF and Pt work

KB swing by the NE side of Suva and launches a middling strike at shipping there. A Strike of 23 Zero, 17 Val, and 53 Kate hit ships disbanded as well as as docked at the harbor. Good results see an AG and AP sunk with an AP, 3 big AO, and an AK hit. Would love to stay around but I think my armorers are to the point of trying to convert 5" AA Shells into bombs! Akagi has 67 Sorties left, Kaga 128, and Shokaku has 227. Time to head for the barn do some repairs, get some new planes, refuel, and replennish. Am sure I'll find more shipping there when I return for the New Caledonia Operation...

Philippines
The troops are getting back on their feet in Bataan. Pulling out all the artillery and that will bring me closer to the 45,000 stacking limit. Should be able to launch the final assault in 3 days.

Java
Order all my bombers to hit Bandoeng's troops. Will try a second Deliberate Attack by 4th ID and the Inf Reg present. Doubt if they have enough to do much.

GOOD NEWS as 2nd ID begins unloading on the eastern tip of Java.

Cocos is hit by 2 CA and 3 CL destroying 8-10 planes on the AF. No shipping present this turn.

Malaya
Take Kuala Lumphur in an 18-1 attack by Imperial Guards. Eight units are forced to retreat to Pt. Swettenham with 18th ID in hot pursuit.

Two units enter the Kloung position. Order the two Inf Reg and Tk unit to attack and drive them out of the hex.

Sumatra
The ships damaged by my intrepid Ro-Boat a few days ago get hit in Port at Sabang. Two raids hit the port and sink the AK and do further damage to the AP.

Australia
CVs Hiryu and Ryujo make their presence known by launching two attacking on a Tanker TF near Carnavon. 3 KV and 3 BIG TK go down. They are the British Destiny type. Sure that they were unloaded but nice to get them. CVs now skedaddle towards Cocos and then Batavia.

Pt Hedlund is invaded this turn. Two Tk Reg and a large BF land and will take the base tomorrow. One Tk Reg is attacking with the other set for pursuit.

Broome's defenders must know something is coming when there little defence force is hit by 21 Zero and 48 Bettys followed by nearly 40 Tinas dropping parachutists. The town falls in a 12-1 assault.

Target for tomorrow: Derby.

[image]local://upfiles/18041/CA51D7CEC41C40D98712C73C66B244AF.jpg[/image]

John 3rd -> Fast TF Hangin' Out (3/14/2012 6:23:40 AM)

I was just skimming CR's AAR and read a note by Senor Chickenboy about Fast TF and how NOT to set it up so they hangout at a base all day unloading. Never heard about ever before sooooooo...here is an example of how NOT to do it! Luckily a total of 20 Vibrator attacks and 6 A-24 sorties amounted to NO DAMAGE ([sm=00000436.gif]) for my CLs and DDs.

Lesson learned.

Step 1: Form Fast TF
Step 2: Set Destination
Step 3: Load Troops

The game will only load what can then be dropped off during the NIGHT phase.

Did I miss anything?

[image]local://upfiles/18041/E8D0F02DEED3477497CF15886A6EFB2A.jpg[/image]

Cribtop -> RE: Fast TF Hangin' Out (3/14/2012 4:38:44 PM)

Ahem, you missed that it was actually me that made the comment in CR's AAR. [:D]

John 3rd -> January 19, 1942 (3/14/2012 4:43:06 PM)

Combat Report
January 19, 1942

A semi-calm turn as things reset for major pushes...

North Pacific
Fast TF drops off a 4th Con Bn at Attu. The AF will go to Sz-1 tomorrow. Begin loading a Cargo TF at PJ to bring serious supply to Attu and then Adak. Will move a Daitai of Zero to Attu prior to the convoy's arrival.

Central Pacific
Two more DDs and an older CL are now on the way to join-up with the 6 DD already on the way to Kwajalein. Should be able make a decent attack group.

South Pacific
Reinforcement convoy unloading at Luganville.

Begin loading the Imperial Guards Brigade and an SNLF Assault Brigade for New Caledonia.

At Lae my Fast TF unloads a Naval Guard unit to take that group of bases. These ships get the attention of 20 Vindicator attacks and a small number of A-24. Luckily NONE of their bombs hit their target.

Milne Bay is getting Base Forces and Construction Bn. There is a real chance those Vindicators will pay the convoy a visit...

Strike Port Moresby with 27 Zero and 23 Bombers for moderate damage.

KB is now well NW of Suva but flies one last strike at shipping in the area. A Strike of 22 Zero and 49 Kate fight their way through 14 US Fighters and sink an AMc and TK as well as damage 3 AKs. Most of them are probably sunk. Lose 1 Zero and 4 Kate in the attack. Course is set for Rabaul.

Philippines
Am pulling troops out of Bataan to get out from under the Stacking limits. To get down to 45,000 I need to finish pulling the 4 Artillery units and 1 Inf Division. This should take about 3 days and then I will finish the Allies off there.

Java
Sweep Cocos with 6 DD and find nothing.

Launch a second attempt to take Bandoeng. It doesn't work. The attack gets a 1-2 result (250-457). Not good. We're stopped in the west. The Sendai Division is unloading in the East. I hope this ID and the 21st Brigade are enough to take Soerabaja.

Malaya
Kloung: Five Allied units attempt to cross my line here and bounce to Johore Bharu. It does not work. My 2 Inf Reg and Tk unit attack at 4-1 and force their retreat back to Malacca.

The TF I sent around western Sumatra arrives at Georgetown. It will now begin shuttling troops to Port Blair and Langsa. There are 3 DD with the TF.

Sumatra
Take Sibolga with a TK Reg. Will wait for two more TK Reg to join-up and then move north.

Australia
Port Hedlund Falls to a Tk Regiment and it is closely followed by the 2nd Tk Regiment towards Corunna Downs.

Derby falls to Parachutists.

11th Air Fleet and a large BF are headed for Broome to stock that AF.

Begin loading troops for a Landing at Wyndham. These landings should appear to be 'normal' for occupation of the NW Aussieland. The reality is grabbing Corunna Downs is more important then the other targets. I'll shuttle in lots of Engineers to build-up that AF so I can use the 1st and 2nd IJA Parachute units to cut-off an Allied retreat from Perth when the time comes...

Sub Ops
I-157 sinks TK Peik with 2 TT off of Albany, AUST

CV Watch:
Soryu is now at 18 Sys--36 Flot--4 Eng
Shoho is at 39 Sys--53 Flot--2 Eng
Zuiho is at 9 Sys--38 Flot--Eng 31
Zuikaku is 19 Sys--2 Flot--4 Eng

John 3rd -> RE: Fast TF Hangin' Out (3/14/2012 4:45:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

Ahem, you missed that it was actually me that made the comment in CR's AAR. [:D]

I apogize for that. As a Historian it is my job to correctly FOOTNOTE my sources! [sm=00000289.gif]

Historiker -> RE: Fast TF Hangin' Out (3/14/2012 5:11:03 PM)

quote:

Lesson learned.

Step 1: Form Fast TF
Step 2: Set Destination
Step 3: Load Troops

The game will only load what can then be dropped off during the NIGHT phase.

good to know!

Walloc -> RE: Fast TF Hangin' Out (3/14/2012 10:47:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

I apogize for that. As a Historian it is my job to correctly FOOTNOTE my sources! [sm=00000289.gif]

[Meaningless gibberish mode /on]

If that is the case. Then calling Inge Mærsk for british is the same as saying u live in Canada!!! [;)]

quote:

Australia
CVs Hiryu and Ryujo make their presence known by launching two attacking on a Tanker TF near Carnavon. 3 KV and 3 BIG TK go down. They are the British Destiny type. Sure that they were unloaded but nice to get them. CVs now skedaddle towards Cocos and then Batavia.

[Meaningless gibberish mode /off]

Kind regards,

Rasmus

Squamry -> RE: Fast TF Hangin' Out (3/15/2012 2:53:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Walloc

If that is the case. Then calling Inge Mærsk for british is the same as saying u live in Canada!!! [;)]

quote:

Only in that most Maersk ships should be American rather than British as 36 ships of the Maersk fleet served US navy during WW2. Not sure if Inge Maersk was at sea when Permanent Special Instruction One was issued by Copenhagen, but has to be a reasonable bet.

John 3rd -> RE: Fast TF Hangin' Out (3/15/2012 5:49:53 PM)

Fascinating. Never heard of that before. Makes one wonder about all those ships caught at sea or in Port when Hitler took over those nations.

John 3rd -> Two in One Day (3/15/2012 5:51:07 PM)

Lew and I got a turn in last night as well as this morning. He is a BIG B-Ball Fan and so was home before going to see his Lobos play in the Tourney. Will Post the action (and there was) after I run a few errands.

John 3rd -> January 20-21, 1942 (3/16/2012 6:12:25 AM)

Combat Report
January 20-21, 1942

Two rock-solid turns for Lew and I. Generally good results and a couple of surprises for both of us.

North Pacific
A convoy sets out for Attu carrying the remnants of the SNLF I am using up here as well as another Base Force. Things look good until the 21st when my Jakes spot two TF moving in from the East. Order my convoy back and shift the Jakes over Air Search--Naval Attack. Maybe my little Jakes can hit something 'soft.'

Central Pacific
No major developments.

South Pacific
The KB refuels North of Luganville. It will make Rabaul in three days. Looking forward to giving the crews a few days rest for R&R and repairs. Have got enough supply to enable to me to replace aircraft and plan to ship off some of my Veterans for new replacement so I can better improve my Training Squadrons back home.

Suva: My two STF bend on bombardment runs to Suva. The first--BBs Mutsu and Nagato with 6 DD--raises HELL as it moves into the base hex. They do little damage to the base but do manage to sink an AM, 2 AKL, an AK but the prize goes for my BBs sinking the large AO Sabine. Lew doesn't get many of that excellent sort of AO and down it goes. I know my KB hit Kaskakia a few days ago here with 3 Bombs so that is nice too.

The 22nd will see my second STF (2 BC, 1 CL, and 5 DD) sweep into the waters again. Air Search spotted another TF or two moving in to the base area. Let us hope for some more good hunting!

Capture Lae on the 20th.

Reinforcements are done landing at Milne Bay.

Two strong Amphib Convoys have departed Rabaul. The first (SNLF Assault Division) is headed for Koumac on the northern tip of New Caledonia. The second (Imperial Guards Brigade) will land at La Foa. They will be escorted by 2 BB, 2 CA, and 8 DD. Estimated that the landing should be in about 5 days.

Philippines
Troops moving out of Bataan and my reinforcement Inf Div is formed up at Cotabato and is moving towards Cagayan. They will make short work of the resistance there.

Java
We're bogged down on the western end of Java but things look promising on the eastern side. Take Loemadjang on the 21st and see a Dutch Regiment SURRENDER. It had a retreat option but chose to surrender. I won't complain at all! The 2nd Inf Div is moving out towards this location. They will drive on Soerabaja.

Cocos Isle: Four CA bombard the Island and then peel off towards Batavia. A second group of 4 DDs stay in that hex (for NO REASON) and are found by 30 SBDs flying from Enterprise seven hexes NW of the Isle. Two DDs get hit and I do lose one of them. The other SHOULD be OK. Air Search spots the CV TF and two others. Decide to take a risk and move the CAs back into the hex to see what might be arriving.

Two next day sees my 4 CAs (Mogami-Class) and 4 DDs surprise American CA Chester and 2 DDs. Combat opens with the Japanese gaining surprise at 2,000 yards! Before Chester can open fire it is hit by 8 8" shells and a Long Lance! DD Maury is blown out of the sea by another Long Lance. BANZAI! [sm=fighting0043.gif]The remaining DD runs AWAY but gets hit several times as it flees the area. Only damage is CA Suzuyu taking an 8" shell that causes an Ammo Explosion (small heart attack for me) but it gets away and clears the area (Sys 41--Flot 13).

No sign of Enterprise and I now have Hiryu and Ryujo 7 hexes SSE from Cocos. Anything that gets within two hexes of that Isle will be attacked. If forced I will go after Enterprise but I REALLY don't want to risk my two sole remaining flattops in this region...

Malaya
Port Swettenham: Imperial Guards take this base on the 21st and manage to capture 6406 POWs. Ten units are destroyed! Two Indian Brigades are among the crushed. 18th ID continues towards Malacca and the five remaining units there. Once they surrender I will cobine all three ID and drive on Johore Bharu. I am sure the Aussies are waiting in that hex.

Georgetown is now in active operation as ships shuttle troops to various locals.

Australia
Tanks are driving on Corunna Downs.

Derby and Broome are Japanese and the two Paratroop Frags are working to unify and then move on that base SE of them.

The Wyndham Invasion Force will land tomorrow. It is a full SNLF Division so I am bring about 200 assault here to grab the town.

China
87,48 (near Changsha) sees a small group of Japanese units (1 Inf Div) force a Chinese ID to retreat towards the river SW of Changsha.

Engineering:
Fusan Pt-5
Shanghai AF-8
Attu AF-1
Kendari AF-5

SS OPs
I-158 attacks AK Charon twice and sinks her near Geraldton.

Comments:
I shared with Michael today the growing Allied cruisers losses. As of right now Lew has lost 9 CA and 8 CL throughout the Pacific. OUCH.

[image]local://upfiles/18041/BAF56EE48C9341099598A3014AFC1921.jpg[/image]

John 3rd -> Lost Cruisers (3/16/2012 6:18:51 AM)

To date the Kaigun has lost CA Chokai and 3 Old CLs.

Here is the tally of Lost Allied Cruisers:

[image]local://upfiles/18041/2068176B30DB456A8946DD0BAB8A167E.jpg[/image]

John 3rd -> Late-January VPs (3/16/2012 3:46:20 PM)

No turn from Lew this morning. He is probably recovering from his New Mexico B-Ball team's victory in the tournament.

Thought I might update the 'Big Picture' a bit.

1. These are the major warships looses to date:

Japan: BB Yamashiro, CVEs Taiyo and Hosho, CA Chokai, 3 old CL, 9 DD (2 of them Old), and 1 I-Boat.

Allies: 9 CA (7 US--1 Brit--1 Aust), 8 CL (1 US), 30 DD (21 US--2 Dutch--5 Brit--2 Aust), and 9 SS (3 S-Boats, 4 Fleet Boats, 2 Dutch).

Japanese losses are far higher then I want at this point. The loss of Yamashiro sucked and the CVEs were simply overmatched by the appearance of Enterprise. The last few weeks has seen the situation change for the better and I have now sunk better then 2-1 in total numbers sunk. want to push that towards 3-1 by June 1st.

2. In the area of aerial combat the Japanese are up by 3-1 with overall losses totalling roughly 2-1 in Japan's favor.

3. Ground Losses are HUGE from the Allied Point-of-View. One has the 'normal' expected losses for the war but Lew's forced surrender of 125,000+ Chinese troops is a big blow as well. It is my profound hope that, once I take Sian, China is out of the war until 1944.

Scorecard:

[image]local://upfiles/18041/F1BA9204391F43C6B85F97014E986705.jpg[/image]

John 3rd -> Construction (3/16/2012 3:55:49 PM)

This shot shows the current state of construction. As soon as Yamato is complete I shall accelerate the late-war CVs and jostle the arrival dates of my three Shokaku-Kai carriers:

[image]local://upfiles/18041/C96F67839DDA40A59E2CA68D071BCE80.jpg[/image]

The picture also demonstrates the Japanese added construction as well. Under 4th Circle the Kaigun gains the 3 Sho-Kais, 2 new BC, 2 new CAs, and 4 more CLs (improved Agano-Class). Remember that there is no Shinano and no Taiho in this Mod.

Historiker -> RE: Late-January VPs (3/16/2012 5:12:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

[image]local://upfiles/18041/FD83335DBD44475B8474E16BFF70FEE2.jpg[/image]

Date Sep 11 1942??? [X(]

John 3rd -> RE: Late-January VPs (3/16/2012 6:24:13 PM)

Ooooops. Changed. Have no idea where I pulled that other VP Screen from. It should make much better sense now.

Thanks Historiker!

John 3rd -> The OLE One-Two (3/18/2012 4:37:45 AM)

Combat Report
Suva Area
January 22, 1942

The second portion of the double punch at Suva shipping arrives in the form of BC's Kongo and Haruna with a CL and 4 DDs. They only find three ships (each in a TF) but it is a NICE haul! The BCs make short work of AOs Neches and Kanawha as well as AP Santa Barbara. Adding to the toal from the BBs yesterday makes this a pretty productive two days for the Kaigun with NO LOSS.

Shipping is spotted at Noumea. HECK: I've got lots of ammo left. Vector my heavies into that Port for some hunting!

[image]local://upfiles/18041/F3619DE3D7E6434AB04437829790E8BC.jpg[/image]

John 3rd -> Bataan Liberated! (3/19/2012 5:46:02 PM)

January 23, 1942---Bataan: BANZAI!

Let the Australian adventure TRULY get underway..

[image]local://upfiles/18041/480B4F3967BD47C9A896633B0B5744CD.jpg[/image]

John 3rd -> Bataan Liberated! (3/19/2012 6:24:22 PM)

Combat Report
January 22-23, 1942

Two outstanding turns played this weekend. Lew was wrapped up with his New Mexico Lobos and their bid within the tournament. Unfortunately things didn't work out for his team.

North Pacific
Attu gains the attention of two bombardments. The first is led by CL Helena and 3 DD while the second is BB Warspite and 4 DD. Minimal damage is done to the base.

There is an opportunity up here to bloody this portion of the Allied Fleet. Attu is progressing past Lvl-1. Am thinking of bringing in an Air Flotilla with TTs and trying to sink a few nice ships. Will have to fish around a bit for this but will see. Also have CV Junyo coming in fairly soon along with CVL Nisshin. Could up north be their 'Training' Cruise? Hmmm...probably not. Need to keep my eyes on the prize with Australia. Think it is better to opt for that Air Flotilla.

Central Pacific
Nada

South Pacific
As detailed earlier, BCs Kongo and Haruna sweep into the Suva area and sink two AOs as well as a large AP carrying troops. Nice work. Not much damage is done tot he AF.

Shipping spotted at Noumea so the BCs shall visit there tomorrow.

The New Caledonia Invasion Fleet is now 50% of the way to target. The Escort TF (2BB, 2 CA, 1 CL, 8 DD) caught-up and now the run-in towards La Foa and Koumac can really begin.

Land at Woodlark on the 23rd.

Lew is trying to put up a fight over Port Moresby. Several P-40 units have been flown in-and-out attempting to keep the fight going. I am flying Zero Sweeps, using Zuikaku's fihgters, from Madang. Shortly after the Sweep the strike arrives from Rabaul. Normally this consists of 27 Zero and 36 Bombers. The aerial fight and AF damage has been seeing 4-6 Allied Fighters and several A-24/Vindicators being destroyed each day. This is great. Want to see those Pools being whittled down before the main fight begins in Australia.

Philippines
Bataan: The last organized resistance ends with 34,448 Allies surrendering. Have any of you induced the end of ALL resistance on Luzon by January 23, 1942? WOW! BANZAI Baby!!!

Cagayan: My reinforcing Inf Div is about to enter this hex in Mindanao. Once it link-up with the 65th Brigade and 90th Inf Reg then the Allies shall be done for here as well. Figure 3-4 days for this to happen.

Within a week I shall have SIX Inf Div looking for something to do. The BEST part of this is that they are all at 85% or better in TOE strength.

Java
Troops moving.

Cocos Isle: A TF is approaching and I am sure Enterprise is nearby. Move my two CVs so they are six hexes away to strike the AK--APs coming in. To spice it up, I send in a BC and 3 DD to sweep Cocos and drive the TF away from the base. Will definitely see action here next turn...

Malaya
Imperial Guards are about to enter Malacca. Once those week units are destroyed then it is time to seriously look at moving into Johore Bharu. If he has his Aussies here then a forced retreat could spell a QUICK end to Singers as well.

Australia
Wyndham falls on the 23rd.

Corunna Downs falls on the 23rd as well.

Move to pick-up the 2 TK Reg used at Derby/Corunna and move them over to Wyndham so they can drive on Katherine.

China
Am housecleaning the units behind the lines (take hex 87,48 East of Sinyang) and preparing for the next action (Sian). Have got 4 Inf Div at Nanyang right now. Launch an attack on the 23rd and get a 1-1 and drop the Forts to ZERO. Next attack will take that base and then we are ready to move NW on Sian.

SS Operations
I-3 spots a STF of 3 CL and 3 DD moving up the east coast of Australia near Canberra on the 22nd.

Ro-33 SINKS AK Hailzones at Cocos with 2 TT on the 23rd.

I-4 sinks AP Kota Agoeng with 2 TT near Channel Isles off the West Coast of USA. Troops on board!

I-5 nearly does the same thing to the same convoy by hitting AP Kota Baroe with 1 TT (troops on board) one hex farther out from Channel Isles.

Engineering:
Changchun AF-4
Tarawa AF-2
Oosthaven AF-3 (finally)
Bihoro Pt-2

Damaged CV/CVLs
Soryu 15 Sys--36 Flot--0 Eng
Zuikaku 17 Sys--2 Flot--2 Eng
Shoho 37 Sys--53 Flot--2 Eng
Zuiho 7 Sys--38 Flot--31 Eng

PLANNING:

OK. Here we go. According to plan things are well on-track right now. Australia is a four-stage operation:

1. Mid-January: Take NW Australia (my 'normal' move), force troops to be committed up into Central Australia to keep me from driving down past Alice Springs. Build-Up Corunna Downs for use my aircraft and Paras with Stage 3.
2. Mid-February: Land at Cairns on the NE Coast with 2+ Inf Div to draw troops from the east Coast north. Goals are to drive south to Townsville and gain useful AF for Naval Para Operations supporting Stage 4.
3. Early-March: Land at Geraldton with 2+ Inf Div and rive towards Perth drawing more troops up the NW Corner of Australia. Operation to be supporting by the 1st and 2nd Raiding Regiments (Para) of the Army.
4. Late-March: DROP THE HAMMER by landing 6 Inf Div on either side of Sydney. SNLF Para Assault Division to support.

OOB:
Eastern Australian: 33rd, 38th, 48th, 21st, 56th ID plus the China Inf Div I have already bought out and is sailing to Rabaul currently.
Western Australia: 16th, 2nd, 4th ID.

Have 3 Inf Div at Malaya that will be free for movement once that Campaign is completed. Plan to send the Imperial Guards to reinforce 55th Inf Div assault in Burma. Will also have bought out two more Chinese Inf Div by Phase Four.

The 9th Air Fleet will support the Eastern Operations and shall depart Kyushu about February 5th. 11th Air Fleet is deployed now at Derby and will support the Western Operations.

Am really open for comments and ideas now. Bataan is gone and I have these troops--for the most part--NOW! This Operation WILL take place so I can use all the help I can get. What does the Imperial General Staff have to say?

BigBadWolf -> RE: Bataan Liberated! (3/19/2012 6:51:13 PM)

Sounds like a plan. Too bad my honorable opponent Squamry is reading this, so I can't use it in our game. Or maybe I should apply reverse psychology? [sm=innocent0009.gif]

What about China? My opponent is on offensive there and he's doing rather well, I'm ashamed to say....

seille -> RE: Bataan Liberated! (3/19/2012 7:12:04 PM)

All i can say is you are very fast John !
I´m eager to see how the australian adventues works.

John 3rd -> RE: Bataan Liberated! (3/19/2012 7:17:28 PM)

So AM I!

I've got to bring enough power to the final landing to grab bases FAST, however, the other landings have got to be strong enough to force him to move stuff toward Alice Springs, Perth, and Townsville. Have got to clear the board.

The CVs will work to blockade and intercept shipping and reinforcements. Really want to account for an American CV or two before Stage Three or Four...

obvert -> RE: Bataan Liberated! (3/19/2012 10:22:34 PM)

This will be fun to watch!

I like the plans. It's amazing you can do this so early. That I think is certainly the key. Just looked in an Allied Scen 1 game, and not sure if this mod is similar, but at that time the Aussies have only a bunch of understrength brigades and some small armor units. Unless a lot of US stuff gets here before that, you could have an easy time of it after landing.

I'm feeling a bit envious of this position you've achieved! It would be a LOT of fun to have southern OZ secured by May and mop-ups in June. Can't wait!

Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI