PBEM Opponents wanted (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Opponents Wanted

Tomanbeg -> PBEM Opponents wanted (11/16/2002 8:45:10 AM)

Need to fill up some slots. Won't play a game less then 20 turns or a map smaller then 100x100. No Preferences RE: sides or Points. Like C&C on and Astrick off, but will negoiate. Long time player of average skill. Will train in basics if someone wants or feels they need it. Drop me a line at [email]spgamer@crawler.com[/email]
T.

TheOverlord -> (11/18/2002 5:11:08 AM)

I am also looking to fill a few email slots....

I prefer C&C off.....and I am not sure what you meant by 'Astrick off'......

As for map and or battle size - I am up for anything!

VikingNo2 -> (11/18/2002 6:19:04 AM)

I love big maps, but prefer CC off.

Overloard and Tomanbeg, please let me know I have never played either of you and wish to.

TheOverlord -> (11/18/2002 8:08:58 AM)

Hi Viking2

I am up for any sort of battle, no CC is my only request.

Would you like to set up a game or shall I?

I currently have slots 4,6,7 and 8 in use...

VikingNo2 -> (11/18/2002 8:28:07 AM)

I was thinking 12-15k

100x100(or 120)

10% arty
Air ?
Countries and years ?

TheOverlord -> (11/18/2002 10:18:35 AM)

That point spread works for me.
100 x 120 map
10% arty is fine.
Air could be left on the default random - if someone gets it, so be it.
As for countries and year I am flexible. Do you have a preference for these?

VikingNo2 -> (11/18/2002 10:31:01 AM)

I like the US but I need to learn the other countries better.

For this many points 43-45

TheOverlord -> (11/18/2002 10:38:01 AM)

How about a good old fashioned '43 Germany vs US?
I can take Germany if you prefer.

If you want a crack at something else than a USSR vs Germany is always entertaining.. :)

I will take any side.

I am also a big fan of non historid battles - US vs USSR, US vs UK etc. Adds a different twist on things.

VikingNo2 -> (11/18/2002 10:54:20 AM)

Sound good I'l take US you tell me what year and I'll set it up if you wish

TheOverlord -> new game (11/18/2002 6:38:30 PM)

I'll take Germany and lets make the year 43.

I should be able to do a turn a night.

VikingNo2 -> (11/19/2002 12:32:56 AM)

Ok General Overlord here you go

10% arty
US vs Germany
100 x120
Air Random

After you set up you can start an AAR, or I can up to you

Tomanbeg -> (11/19/2002 7:59:05 AM)

Originally posted by VikingNo2
[B]I love big maps, but prefer CC off.

Overloard and Tomanbeg, please let me know I have never played either of you and wish to. [/B]

Count me in. This might be to late, but how about a round robin?

Here is a big map.
T.

TheOverlord -> so it begins... (11/19/2002 9:11:29 AM)

VikingNo2 - here ya go.

Bot a security violation when I loaded the game you sent. It looks like our OOB's may be different. I am using the standard 7.1 oob files.

Go ahead and set up a report after your turn and I will followup after mine.

Tomanbeg - I am up for a game as well.

Tomanbeg -> O Lord (11/19/2002 10:21:00 AM)

How about slot 9? C&C off, with a map larger then 100x100 and more then 20 turns. That way if you want tons of arty I will have room to hide until you run out of ammo. Plus I can use the room to open the range from those %&#$$% Flame throwers and have time to stalk them. Do you want to attach by EMail or here? What is the etiquette on AAR's? the last AAR I did was during a Double Duce tourney on the Rugged Defense Ladder, So I'm way out of date.
T.

TheOverlord -> new game (11/19/2002 6:53:31 PM)

slot 9 is open for me and the other criteria you mentioned is fine.

Do you have countries / year in mind? I am pretty much open for anything.

As for AAR's, cant help you there. I have mostly been playing WAW against freinds and have not played folks from the forum until now. You would be my second battle from here so as for ettiquette......whats that?

It would work out best for me if we post the games here since I can access them from several locations and not just home......like work!

Tomanbeg -> (11/19/2002 10:51:43 PM)

Ok I went standard. Nazi-Soviet. Aug '42 C&C off, ALL else on, Random Air, 100x220 map. Random air. 6600 points.
Welcome to scenic Ordzhonikidze, Soviet Georgia.Only a few more kilometers and you be out of this fookin sea of grass. As the tip of the spear for Army Group A, you are tasked with Leading the drive to the Caucasus Mountains. You have the foothills in sight when the wind changes, bringing you the tang of diesel fumes. "Driver Halt" It smells like you have found them, and now it sounds like you have found them. This leaves you the problem of what to do with them. Destruction is always your first choice.
As always, if you have any problem with this battle let me know and we'll fix it. I play for fun, and if you aren't having fun, I won't either. So Good Luck and Good Hunting.
T.(if you want to switch sides, let me know and I'll send you the map so you can do set up).

TheOverlord -> ??? (11/20/2002 8:22:01 AM)

Hi Tomanbeg
I went in to set up the game but the map was the smallest possible and had no terrain at all....?

The zip file only contained the email 9 game files but no map...
If that is what I am missing could you please post it!?

By then way, nice lead in!

Tomanbeg -> (11/20/2002 10:46:35 AM)

I havn't posted attachments on this forum a lot so I might have screwed the pooch. here is the map and a resend of the game files. If it still doesn't work, the map is set up as a Allies first-East, Axis second-West, so Either you'll have to either play the Soviets or flip the map to be player #1. Other wise the retreat and reinforcement hexes will be on the wrong sides. You might be able to change that by fooling around with the custom map button. Select the Custom map button and toggel it to random start lines( it should be 'as designed') and sometime it will move the Flags for retreat and Reinforcements. Sometimes it won't. I have never been able to figure out what conditions will force the change. So If this is to much bother, let me know, and I'll flip the map.
T.

Tomanbeg -> (11/20/2002 10:47:33 AM)

Whoops, only 1 attachment allowed. silly me. Here is the game resend
T.

Tomanbeg -> V2, you still in the pool? (11/20/2002 10:55:03 AM)

Hi Viking,
I'v still got 6,7, and 8 open, although that may change in a couple of hours. If you still want to play, I have a game going now playing H2H vs my 7.1. There are sound problems and the Tigers turn into Magnoit Line forts after I shoot at them, but the game is still hanging in there. And those wierd German Half tracks show up as field guns, but they still die like they should.
T.

VikingNo2 -> (11/20/2002 2:27:02 PM)

I do want to play however I have reached a point where I have to finish someothere games first, as soon as I clear a couple of game I will promptly taunt you:D :rolleyes: :p

TheOverlord -> (11/21/2002 8:40:06 AM)

Tomanbeg
Still no luck with the map.....just a small map with no terrain.
Want to try a random map?

Tomanbeg -> (11/21/2002 9:32:19 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TheOverlord
[B]Tomanbeg
Still no luck with the map.....just a small map with no terrain.
Want to try a random map? [/B]

Ok. I'm running 7.1 straight and after sending the files off I loaded your copy and had no problems, so there might be other issues. Do you want to start or should I?
T.

TheOverlord -> map issues (11/21/2002 7:19:02 PM)

Strange - I have 7.1 as well, although I upgraded up the older versions as they came out.

I havent had this problem before.

If you dont mind, I would like to do a quick test...
I have quickly purchased some units and did auto deploy on the plain map that show up for me. Could you take a quick look and see if the map now shows correctly for you or if it says it is corrupted.

Meanwhile, I will try opening the game on my pc at work ( :-) ) and see if it is just an issue with my home pc.

If all else fails then we can create a random map.

This ok with you?

VikingNo2 -> (11/21/2002 11:15:53 PM)

I posted our game in the AAR forum

Tomanbeg -> whoops! (11/22/2002 12:27:39 AM)

It was me, or maybe my Win-Zip would be more accurate. I unzipped the file I sent to you and got the same small blank map. Then I unzipped the file you sent me an got the same thing. So here is a redo of the initial setup, to see if I need to re-install my Win-Zip. Although I might just sh1t can the piece of junk and put Zip-It back on.
T.

TheOverlord -> !! (11/22/2002 7:06:05 PM)

This one works!
I will deply nad get it back to you tonight most likely.

Nice map by the way. Did you make that one?
Should be an entertaining battle!

Tomanbeg -> Re: !! (11/22/2002 11:25:48 PM)

Originally posted by TheOverlord
[B]This one works!
I will deply nad get it back to you tonight most likely.

Nice map by the way. Did you make that one?
Should be an entertaining battle! [/B]

Yep, We are final testing it. I'm looking forward to it.
T.

TheOverlord -> Tomanbeg vs TheOverlord (11/23/2002 8:02:43 PM)

So it biegins....

Tomanbeg -> (11/23/2002 10:51:00 PM)

Ah yes..... Everybody in my neighborhood claims that 90% of battles are won or lost before they begin. With that in mind, time for an ops plan. METT as the US Army likes to call it.
Mission; There are 4 point per turn V-Flags space equally north and South, 2 per side. They are worth 50 points per turn for 28 turns. Since I don't think anyone can reach them on the first turn(Barring the use of meat bombs, or Para-Targets as I call them), that leaves a possible 1350 points per game for each flag, or 5400 points for all. There are two clusters of flags worth 1,000 points each at the end of the game. with 6600 points of equipment, that is 12,00 points available, unless one side orders reinforcements, which will be a 1100 point bonus for some one. So I need to get 8,000 ponts for a small victory. grabing and holding 2 ppt v-flags and the truck stop will net me 4,700 points, so unless I can trick O-Lord into ordering reinforcements I need to kill 3,300 points of his equipment. A Daunting task.
Enemy; I've never played Olord so I have not a clue to his strengths and weaknesses. Since he doesn't have a lot of pre-game qualifiers, there is no clue there. No C&C indicates that he might not be so hot at planning, but no C&C means I won't be able to advantage of this. And not playing with C&C indicated that he might be an Equipment maven, since the biggest advantage the German have before '44 is their robust C&C structure. Or it could mean that he is extremly confident and is giving me a break. Way to early to tell, but it is never to early to start examining your opponents Boyd Cycle. Equipment wise, the Tiger gives him an edge in long range gunnery. And while the Panzer II's and IV's are a little slow, Im not sure the terrain will allow me to exploit that. The 10% arty thing could be because he fears my arty, or it could just be habit Or he could plan on using a pak front and wants to cut down on my smoking. We will see.
Troops; Mine Suck. And that is being kind. In '42 the Soviets are still searching desperately for a clue. Stalin has dropped his stand fast strategy, so I'm starting to get troops with a little experience, but they are few and far between. That means I will need to avoid 1 on 1 shootouts since my troops will run instead of shoot. Good kit though. The T-34 is fast and cheap, althouh the only way it can hit a barn is if it's inside the barn, and then it is worth a medal. But my arty has a lot of rounds and if they stay on-line can be critical. Not real flexiable, so I will have to use a prepositioned grid for fire control. For the new guys gridding is a method use to improve the response time of poor quality artillery. Instead of speading your .1 request markers where you think(guess) your opponent will show up, you pick an area(arty is an area weapon, not a point weapon) and put your requsts down in a pattern seperated by 5 or 9 hexes, depending on how much area you have to cover. That way any enemy coming into that area can be attacked with either a .1 delay(if it parked "on the Dime"), or a .3 delay if it's a little off set. The 9 hex grid gives a .5 delay, of course. My best infantry anit tank weapon is the 12.7 HMG, and while deadly against AC's and Tracks, it is in the spitball catagory vs MBT's.
Terrain; An E-W valley map, with tall grass and dry lakes in the vally and tall forested hills Flanking the valley. There are numerous hillocks seperating the valley floor from the taller hills. These will be critical, since vis range in the tall grass in seldon more then 200 meters and mostly not that much. Especialy for OLord. With 88 in the right places, he can doninate the valley.

So this is starting to look like a classic spear vs club battle. To win I have to avoid being speared long enough to put my club upside his head. Since is is a fact that if you plan on hitting your opponent with a blunt object, big blunt objects are better then small blunt objects. I need to make a bigger club. I will do this splitting up one of my T-34 companies. Using the T-34 company with the best Experience numbers as a base I will take the T-34 Company with the worst experience rating and use the reassign key to attach the best of the worst to the best of the best. This will give me a T-34 Company with 3 4 tank platoons, plus company commander. Then I will take the 7 tanks left over and farm out the T-34's to my Recon units. This will give me a bigger, stronger blunt object and put a little more beef into my recon. I will advance my Infanty up the center of the valley, using a run walk wait series of rushes until they are about 6 to 10 hexes from the truck stop, then they will crawl up to 3 or 4 hexes then it's Urrahh!. I will pick one flank and overload it, in an attempt to take and hold the 2 v-flags on that flank. The other flank I will try to use manuver to confuse my enemy. I will advance on both flanks initally, and fall back on the flank that looks like it is getting the most heat. Since he is so much stronger then me I will have to play canny, and hope he steps on his dick. Maybe he will stick his head out far enough for me to strike it with my blunt object. One can hope.
T.( I think I will move this over to the AAR/DAR section. It seems more approiate)

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI