RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor troy (A) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

Puhis -> RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor troy (A) (4/13/2012 5:39:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on 1st RAN Base Force, at 73,130 , near Wyndham

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid spotted at 34 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 6

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
52 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 4 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

1st RAN Base force has been combined at Broome weeks ago and was sent over the trails towards Katherine... no idea how the enemy was able to suddenly spot the unit in the middle of nowhere without any recon before... no enemy base or unit within three hexes...

This is one of the most frustrating and infuriating weaknesses of the game engine. It happens to me repeatedly every game in the Ironman scenario against the AI, especially in China. Units hundreds of miles from any enemy ground unit capable of spotting them and that no enemy plane has ever flown recon within a hundreds of miles of become automatic targets as soon as they go from combat mode to move mode. The AI automatically knows where each and every vulnerable target is. And it's not just the strategic AI in a game agaisnt the AI it's also the tactical AI in player v.s player games as demonstrated here. Very, very frustrating, but there is nothing to be done about it. [:(]

hmm, do you think bluebook has just put his bombers on ground attack without ordering a target and the AI chose that target to be attacked? I was amazed to see that strike and thought it would be a waste as I would keep the Betties on nav attack non stop but just setting them to ground attack without even setting a target would be even more amazing to me.

Sometimes Japan get radio transmissions from enemy LCU outside base hexes, and get 1/1 detection level. You can tell that there's a unit there, nothing more.

castor troy -> RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor troy (A) (4/13/2012 7:13:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Yeah, the para spam thing is scraping the bottom of the cheese barrel in my opinion. I have to tell you that this game is like a bad marriage between to people who can't see eye to eye on a single thing, yet they keep the marriage together for far to many years for the "sake of the kids" or some other lame reason. I think you should politely terminate this one and find a more suitable opponent who agrees with your concepts (as I do) because I don't see this marriage lasting long...

I know it is a pain to find a new opponent and restart but a long campaign can be a two to three year real life commitment. Do you want to be arguing with this guy for two years?

This is just blowing my mind. He asks for bombing above a certain altitude (unrealistic demand) and then uses tiny para fragments (unrealistic action) after promising he would not do so any more (deliberately dishonest or forgetful???).

As far as the game engine not modeling blowing up a few rail lines, neither side can do it.

On the Recon thing, I know about the UI leak of trying to select hexes to see if there are ground units there. I never use it because it is a gamey exploit of a UI leak.
- There is another possibility, but of course I have no idea what he is actually doing. If you set a unit to recon and give it NO TARGET, AFAIK it goes out and recons on its own, including the countryside. In India the Allies get a bunch of British and Indian recon units with a dozen or so small planes each. I use some units to recon specific bases or troop formations I know about, but I also use others with no target so they can find anybody trying to sneak through the jungle or show up from an unexpected direction. Often they do find such enemy units (but apparently not always or not always in a timely manner). I do not know of the developers ever confirming this mechanism but it seems to work and is realistic for a recon unit ("Go recon the countryside and see if anybody is there.") because that is part of their job. As I said I have no idea what he is actually doing.

I have to pretty much echo crsutton: at this point just do what you think is right and if he quits he quits.

oh he stopped using them when he said he would, which was at the point when he took all his objectives anyway. [:D] I watched him doing so a couple of turns before I even dared to raise the issue and the game is ahead of the AAR. Do it once, do it twice, who cares, but do it to take halve a continent, oh well. I don't want to end the game, just too much time spent already again. I hope he stands to his word and won't quit even if things go bad and so do I. bluebook has the potential to give one a good game as he is not unskilled but when it comes down to strange tactics (yes, I do call them gamey) we just completely disagree. Perhaps it's really like the marriage situation described above and this is my first opponent in all the years when I don't even know his real name. [:D]

castor troy -> RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor troy (A) (4/15/2012 11:00:33 AM)

the AAR is on hold for the moment. While the game is still two weeks in front of the AAR I haven't had a turn or reply on my emails for the last five days so I don't know what's going on and I don't want the AAR completely catch up with the game due to intel risks (learnt from earlier AARs).

EUBanana -> RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor troy (A) (4/15/2012 12:56:30 PM)

quote:

I haven't had a turn or reply on my emails for the last five days

[;)] [:'(]

obvert -> RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor troy (A) (4/15/2012 1:00:10 PM)

Sad. Sounds like your opponent may not be worth the trouble. Communication is the key to this game remaining enjoyable, I feel.

koniu -> RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor troy (A) (4/15/2012 1:17:49 PM)

We do not want judge too fast Your opponent.
But he vanish after taking lots of losses. So he just could resign.
On other side RL writing own script so better to wait.

One is true, communication is key to long rewarding game. And if you are not in coma or on secret mission in Afghanistan sending simple email should be in good taste.

PS. From my experience i can say that first weeks after losing Amphibious bonus are difficult to Japanese player. They loosing god status during invasion and they start experiencing harder resistance from allied side every day. And i have few moments when i was close to ask Docup for few days of vacation[8|].

castor troy -> RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor troy (A) (4/15/2012 1:22:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: EUBanana

quote:

I haven't had a turn or reply on my emails for the last five days

[;)] [:'(]

I may be looking for a new game... a month ago I had two PBEM running, the first one stalled after the Hawaii invasion was a failure and real life intervening and the second one leaves me with no info on what's up for five days after the Australian adventure is nothing but a failure so far. Where are all those great PBEM partners I had in the past? [:(]

castor troy -> RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor troy (A) (4/15/2012 1:24:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Sad. Sounds like your opponent may not be worth the trouble. Communication is the key to this game remaining enjoyable, I feel.

so true

Miller -> RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor troy (A) (4/15/2012 1:27:31 PM)

Just goes to show you need to sort out the HRs fully before the game begins. If either side does not like one, then find a compromise or another opponent.

Its not to hard to say something along the lines of "Look, I have been outplayed/made an arse of the game, therefore I resign" rather than just disappear..........of course he may have a valid reason and be back, but I doubt it.

castor troy -> RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor troy (A) (4/15/2012 1:35:33 PM)

my opponent and I do have a different view on things but having yet another PBEM cancelled in March 42 because the IJ player's strategy sux balls would be a major disappointment. [:(]

Historiker -> RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor troy (A) (4/15/2012 1:47:57 PM)

I guess you have to return to Transport Tycoon in the Pacific [:D]

Crackaces -> RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor troy (A) (4/15/2012 6:38:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miller

Just goes to show you need to sort out the HRs fully before the game begins. If either side does not like one, then find a compromise or another opponent.

Its not to hard to say something along the lines of "Look, I have been outplayed/made an arse of the game, therefore I resign" rather than just disappear..........of course he may have a valid reason and be back, but I doubt it.

Every single turn I recieve -- I send a message with my schedule to my opponet. That allows him to adjust his schedule if he pleases as well as know when to expect a turn. To just disappear is beyond rude. This game take quite a bit of committment and the right match of styles to be fun. It is getting more clear it is becoming less fun for you.

Miller -> RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor troy (A) (4/16/2012 2:12:53 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

quote:

Every single turn I recieve -- I send a message with my schedule to my opponet. That allows him to adjust his schedule if he pleases as well as know when to expect a turn. To just disappear is beyond rude. This game take quite a bit of committment and the right match of styles to be fun. It is getting more clear it is becoming less fun for you.

I think you are getting me mixed up with Castor Troy, its his game not mine.

However you are correct about giving your opponent an idea on the timing of the next turn. My current opponent is very good at cranking out the turns (we average 2.5-3 per day so far) However he never indicates as to whether or not he can do another that day (unless I ask him as soon as he has sent the turn)........a bit frustrating but I can live with it as he never complains no matter how bad the outcome of a turn.

Crackaces -> RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor troy (A) (4/16/2012 3:04:36 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

quote:

I think you are getting me mixed up with Castor Troy, its his game not mine.

However you are correct about giving your opponent an idea on the timing of the next turn. My current opponent is very good at cranking out the turns (we average 2.5-3 per day so far) However he never indicates as to whether or not he can do another that day (unless I ask him as soon as he has sent the turn)........a bit frustrating but I can live with it as he never complains no matter how bad the outcome of a turn.

Yes I was directing my comment in the context of Castor Troy's game but a general comment on the game being fun and it takes two to do so .....[8D]

Not everyone has the same PBEM wargaming experiences, so in my case I went 6 months of a steady under-promise over-deliver and now we both let each other know the schedule for the day, week, in my case sometimes the month.

I am also very lucky in that my opponent never complains .. but we both share the same reasons and pleasures from wargaming .. it is the journey not winning in the end that counts. It is hard to find adversaries that share the same values and yet it is so important in a game like this where a relationship is required to continue for 2 -3 years.

LoBaron -> RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor troy (A) (4/18/2012 7:11:09 AM)

quote:

the AAR is on hold for the moment. While the game is still two weeks in front of the AAR I haven't had a turn or reply on my emails for the last five days so I don't know what's going on and I don't want the AAR completely catch up with the game due to intel risks (learnt from earlier AARs).

Any news CT? This looks more and more like an Allied victory in 1942 to me.

Just re-read the AAR, strategy wise it seems like your opponent ran operations with extreme risk from the very beginning, like someone only
would do against the AI while doing the good old save/reload strategy. You patiently waited for your chance to crush one of those kamikaze ops,
and he suddently noticed theres no reload button?

Could be that the above statement is unfair though. RL can interfere, I know how much.

castor troy -> RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor troy (A) (4/18/2012 9:17:36 AM)

The game and AAR are terminated. It's been a week now since I have received the last turn and there was no reply at all on my emails, my opponent vanished. I hope that my opponent hasn't been hit by a serious real life problem but due to the fact that these serious real life problems usually occur when something in the game goes bad at the same time I am leaning more towards the game situation not being pleasant anymore and therefore vanishing.

The game was still two weeks ahead of the AAR but I won't post the last combat reports anymore as this is just more a waste of time than all the PBEM has already been. Like I've mentioned before, one of the big disappointments of the last 7 years of gaming. Unfortunately it seems the AAR contributors are proven 100% right in their interpretation of my opponent.

To summarize what happened in these two last weeks between the end of the AAR and the game, the enemy was warping around his divisions in Southern Australia after the para spam opened up all raillines and at that point he probably was positive that the flawed strategy of taking the Melbourne/Sydney area would come true even after he lost all his invasion fleet for the Perth area. After the disaster around Perth I had my carriers retiring for r&r and at the same time I pushed nearly a dozen convoys with a total of 250 ships to Melbourne! [:D] These convoys brought several divisions, tank units, base force and two hundred USAAF fighters to Melbourne, which meant the thread title would become totally true, this ended the Japanese wet dream as there was just no chance to achieve anything in Southern Australia anymore other than once more taking all the empty bases, just like what he did everywhere else, taking empty ground.

Having my reinforcements in Melbourne, I ordered 300 av to move on the coast road to Sydney, bringing Sydney to 950 av, easily enough to hold off 2500 enemy av as we are speaking about an urban heavy hex and the two Australian divisions there had 100% preparation, were in excellent shape and had the best available leaders plus level 5 forts. Both Melbourne and Sydney had easily enough troops to stop what the IJA had in Southern Australia even without using my airforce. Needless to say that my convoys also carried roughly 400.000 supplies and 150.000 fuel, bringing the total supplies to over 600.000 in the area, enough to last forever. At the same time we were holding Perth with 1000 av, 100% prepped and level 5 forts, Darwin with 1200 av, 100% prepped (200.000 supplies) and Port Moresby with 1100 av, 100% prepped (200.000 supplies). None of these targets were in danger to be overrun by the Japanese, every target would have needed a major Japanese operation and taking them one by one would take him over a year without me doing anything. He still was bogged down at my strongholds on Java, Philipines and Sumatra, no real action in China where my troops are dug in, fully prepped and well supplied.

There was no hope for him to achieve air superiority over Southern Australia, there was another convoy coming in within ten days bringing another 8 USAAF fighter and a dozen bomber squadrons. Within three weeks when the game crashed I would have operated roughly 500 fighters plus 300 bombers in Southern Australia, Melbourne being a level 9 airfield, both Melbourne and Sydney having level 6 forts and ample supply. The biggest enemy airfields were Port Augusta and Brisbane, both only level 4. All my fighter pilots had 70 air skill and 1/3 of them already 70 def skill. The last turn he played he sent a Zero and and Oscar unit to sweep Melbourne and while only 80 fighters were airborne, the Zeroes lost 5:1 over my base (he forgot to order them on a strato sweep and the were doing horrible at 10000ft) with the Oscars coming in on their strato sweep they did considerable better but I was 100% confident that he would not have a chance to achieve air superiority with me having so many more fighters, let alone that I could field 130 B-17E and D plus two and a halve dozen Liberators, a hundred Mitchels/Marauders, Hudsons I/III, Vengeance, SBD, Banshees, three dozen torp biplanes and if necessary 100+ Wirraways [:D]. A sub also put a torp into a Kongo class BB in the days before the IJ commander vanished.

Commenting the whole strategic situation and what happened in the four months of war, the IJ was able to take all the empty ground on the map and that's it. We've lost 4 BB and 1 CL at PH, 1 CA at Darwin and roughly two dozen DD all around the map plus the merchants that tried to flee the SRA and that's it when it comes down to our ship losses. After the disaster around Perth and Melbourne, the enemy took the lead for points in shipping losses already, having lost something like 150 ships in total. 1 BB, halve a dozen CA, a couple of CL, two dozen DD, halve a dozen SS (mines around Melbourne [:D]) and over 70 transports were lost in the flawed Australian operation (not counting damaged ships) and if we would have continued, this would have seriously gone up as our strenght would have grown far more in just a couple of weeks than what the Japanese could increase their strenght. To top the flawed IJ strategy, he released my invasion reinforcements which gave me over 1000av in top units that would have reached Australia under the cover of all my US and British carriers. Within the next couple of weeks, there would have been three more US divs, two Aus, one British div, tank units, engineers, base forces and a dozen AA units reaching Australia, further increasing our strenght at Perth and Southern Australia. I think my opponent thought it would be enough to take all the empty map to isolate Australia but he totally failed doing so, not a single convoy going to Australia was caught as they were coming in from off map locations so the tactic of taking the whole SOPAC was wrong right from the start as this meant I would not even give him the chance to intercept my convoys on the long route from the US West Coast to Australia. With the presence of my carriers and KB never operating as a whole, he would not have had a chance to stop me bringing in my convoys and even with KB operating in full strenght, KB can't be anywhere and it is not that hard to avoid the enemy carriers as they were spotted frequently patrolling around Australia.

I was fully confident the enemy would get nowhere other than taking yet empty ground, this time in Australia and while taking all the empty ground, he paid an extreme price for it. But exactly the turn my convoys unloaded at Melbourne and IJ recon aircraft suddenly showing a huge Army plus hundreds of aircraft there, my opponent vanished. Go figure!

paullus99 -> RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor troy (A) (4/18/2012 10:29:31 AM)

Castor - I applaud your doggedness in these AARs & I'm sorry that you've been unable to find a real quality opponent (and I do love your rants - there are many facets of the game that, most likely due to limitations in the code & AI / balance issues, that can make for a very unpleasant experience - re: Greyjoy's debacle).

I'd love to see you play John3rd or even get into a game with CR (though he is a bit tied up at the moment). Have you played the Japanese side yet?

Best of luck to you in future endeavors.

castor troy -> RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor troy (A) (4/18/2012 10:48:22 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: paullus99

Castor - I applaud your doggedness in these AARs & I'm sorry that you've been unable to find a real quality opponent (and I do love your rants - there are many facets of the game that, most likely due to limitations in the code & AI / balance issues, that can make for a very unpleasant experience - re: Greyjoy's debacle).

I'd love to see you play John3rd or even get into a game with CR (though he is a bit tied up at the moment). Have you played the Japanese side yet?

Best of luck to you in future endeavors.

I've played John in WITP and the game ended in mid 42 [8|] after he lost halve of KB to my carriers taking no damage as he just always has the bad habit of splitting KB into several divisions which enables one to take on the IJ at nice odds.

I haven't played the Japanese in AE yet, but am thinking about to do so as this seems to be one of the better choices if I want to have a game going longer than early 42 with the opponents I had lately. My last three campaigns all ended prior to 6/42 with the Allied wrecking havoc in all three games. While I was really lucky with most of my opponents in WITP I also had a great campaign against Rainer79 in AE but ever since the outcome of my PBEM was just a pity. Going with my experience, it seems best not to try to hurt the Japanese until mid 43 or you run danger of losing your opponent.

Historiker -> RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor troy (A) (4/18/2012 10:52:56 AM)

quote:

Going with my experience, it seems best not to try to hurt the Japanese until mid 43 or you run danger of losing your opponent.

Indeed [:D]

Miller -> RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor troy (A) (4/18/2012 11:39:41 AM)

Its very hard to hurt the Japs before then if they are played correctly. Trying to take half the map before April 42 whilst splitting the KB into two or three seperate operations at the same time is asking for trouble.

witpqs -> RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor troy (A) (4/18/2012 2:19:00 PM)

Sorry, CT, too bad. Give it another go, there are plenty of good blokes around. Slightly tricky zeroing in on them is all.

EUBanana -> RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor troy (A) (4/18/2012 3:41:22 PM)

Well... wet dream ended. [:D]

crsutton -> RE: Ending an IJ wet dream - bluebook (J) vs castor troy (A) (4/18/2012 8:13:31 PM)

Well, good job. You did not panic and reacted to his moves well. Sorry it is over but you are better off.

Page: <<   < prev  12 13 14 15 [16]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI