Appreciation and Supplication (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

geosch -> Appreciation and Supplication (2/15/2012 3:33:25 PM)

I have been playing DW since it originally came out and would like to thank the developers for making this the premiere space 4X game on the market. I totally enjoy the scope, flexibility and open-ended strategies that the game provides. The ability to drill down to the finest details is an amazing option, but not necessary to enjoy the game. Automation, or not, of almost all aspects of game play - fantastic.

There are, of course, some minor quibbles (such as diplomacy and ship building) which are well documented in the wishlist, but

PLEASE do something about combat, especially late-game combat. I find myself trying to win by economic means rather than going through the headaches of
- organizing and preparing fleets to arrive at approximately the same time,
- having my wide area weapons destroy my own ships
- watching my ships stand idly by while their neighbor is getting pounded by the enemy
- trying to focus fire on critical enemy targets
- keeping my ships from going suicidal, like diving into that magical space between three enemy defensive bases([;)])

I would even prefer a GalCiv type battle summary than go through the painful experience of watching these battles.

I spend a lot of time on building a strong economy and research in order to build some killer fleets for some fun battles, but it just doesn't happen. [:(]

Thanks, g

PS

And please, I know all about stances, etc - they are great for automating your fleets. I would like to have the option of putting some fleets on full manual - they do what they are ordered to do, and nothing else. If they run out of fuel, it is my fault - I can handle it.

scotten_usa -> RE: Appreciation and Supplication (2/15/2012 6:42:05 PM)

Agreed. I really! like the game but a few more tweaks would help a lot.

quote:

ORIGINAL: geosch
PLEASE do something about combat, especially late-game combat. I find myself trying to win by economic means rather than going through the headaches of
- watching my ships stand idly by while their neighbor is getting pounded by the enemy
- keeping my ships from going suicidal, like diving into that magical space between three enemy defensive bases([;)])

WiZz -> RE: Appreciation and Supplication (2/15/2012 7:18:15 PM)

Hm, with full manual control fleets don't fly somewhere.

quote:

- keeping my ships from going suicidal, like diving into that magical space between three enemy defensive bases

Micromanagement and full control are helpful...

scotten_usa -> RE: Appreciation and Supplication (2/16/2012 3:49:53 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: WiZz

Hm, with full manual control fleets don't fly somewhere.

quote:

- keeping my ships from going suicidal, like diving into that magical space between three enemy defensive bases

Micromanagement and full control are helpful...

I suppose I should report about this in the suggestions thread or support sub-board, but...

In my current game (running latest beta, but had this before), my manually controlled fleets are set to "Engage System Targets". However, occasionally they will try to warp ~ 2 sectors to attack some pirate ship with no orders from me.

A little annoying, since that pirate ship is nowhere close to the same system as the fleet.

Bingeling -> RE: Appreciation and Supplication (2/16/2012 8:34:31 AM)

If they jump off (at least without following a ship they are already attacking) it is probably a stance question. I would try setting the fleets in defense stance with the minimum distance available. That should prevent them from getting ideas of their own.

I also think I saw something in the patch notes about ships (in fleets?) no longer following opponents that jumps away. Maybe the times when a fleet sitting still in a system during a war eventually ends up parked at a random point in the galaxy is finally over.

Robocrab -> RE: Appreciation and Supplication (2/16/2012 11:21:47 AM)

quote:

my manually controlled fleets are set to "Engage System Targets". However, occasionally they will try to warp ~ 2 sectors to attack some pirate ship with no orders from me.

1. Select Fleet
2. Press button (left, bottom, seventh) "Select Range: (Currently: System)"

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI