IS-1s in the WWII campaign (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

Steve Wilcox -> IS-1s in the WWII campaign (11/18/2002 3:39:53 AM)

Howdy, I've been playing the World War II campaign on the Eastern Front as the Germans, starting in Jan 44. It's now Feb 45 and I've encountered a lot of IS-1s so far. This seemed kinda weird. So I checked Steven Zaloga's Osprey New Vanguard book on the IS-2 and he says: "It is not clear if any IS-1 tanks were actually issued to combat units. In the event, it was decided to rebuild most of them as IS-2s, and at least 102 were reconfigured with the 122mm gun." Elsewhere in the book he says that: "A total of 67 IS-85s [the early name for the IS-1] were completed by the end of 1943, and 40 more at the beginning of 1944." So I would think encountering one would have been rare at best, and yet they seem real popular with the AI. The OOB editor gives their availability as Feb 44 to 49 which seems rather odd to me. I'm not complaining, it's easy enough to change, but I just thought I would share this info in case anyone is interested. :)

Orzel Bialy -> Rarity on or off??? (11/18/2002 4:12:15 AM)

Steve,

Do you play with the Rarity factor on or off on your preferences? Rarity in the "on" mode will tend to limit the types of armaments available to a somewhat more realistic level. It's not perfect...but does help.

Steve Wilcox -> (11/18/2002 10:55:30 PM)

Thanks, Orzel. I've just been playing True Troop on/Rarity off (I had completely forgotten about those settings since I started my campaign and actually had to go check!) I had gotten away from using rarity because it became annoying to have no MGs, etc. available when I was picking my core, especially as it didn't save an empty slot to fill up later (and also I was hoping for some of those King Tiger vs IS-2 slugfests, and didn't want to reduce the chance of that happening). I'll switch it back on. I was just surprised to see all those IS-1s when I was expecting IS-2s, so it got me curious about their historical availability. Thanks for your help. :)

Bing -> (11/19/2002 12:23:22 AM)

Campaign scenarios can be edited. I don't say it is easy to do it, but it can be done.

Rather than running the risk of being more boring than usual:

Steve - I had to turn off the Private stuff from Matrix because it doesn't get along with my installation of OE and USB cable. Drop me a line at:
[email]binglesh@chartermi.net[/email] if you want to discuss this topic.

I've done this kind of editing, it does work, with a disclaimer or two to keep in mind. The biggest one is: If you edit anything to do with Aux, it will become part of your Core during subsequent battles, at least that is what happened with me when I was editing the U2R battles.

Bing

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI