NATO Summit, Prague (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Marek Tucan -> NATO Summit, Prague (11/18/2002 2:59:35 PM)

Hello! It`s only few days until a NATO summit will begin in Prague - have You noticed?
46 heads of the states will come into my country`s capital - great thing! I wonder how they will like it here:) I won`t be in Prague that time - the chief of our university gave us two free days... Even if our school stands (well, the larger part of it) in the outer part of the city...
And I wonder if there will be some violence in the streets... the demonstrations are planned, but it seems it will be better than during the IMF two years ago... And our police is better prepared (better suits and equipment - our military depots have made a new version of BRDM-2 for police use - without turret, with large front windows and so on... Btw on the same chassis will be based BRDM-2B and BRDM-2V with new unmanned turrets with the TI cameras)...
And something interesting for the Americans here - the air above the Czech republic will be guarded by some F-15s and F-16 with a support of the AWACS and KC-135s... And Czech air force will be equipped by a supply of about 150 AIM-9s, but I don`t know the version - the Sidewinders will be used with our new tactical planes L-159 ALCA...
And why is the US cover needed? Well, in 1993 some of our `genial` politicians decided that MiGs-29 are too good for us and exchanged them with the Poland for helicopters... And now the supersonic aircraft force of the Czech Air Force consists only of FOUR MiG-21 fighters:)...
More news about the NATO summit will come ASAP...
Bye
Tuccy

Resisti -> (11/18/2002 3:40:04 PM)

Rest assured you're not alone ;)
Italian airforce lineage still consists of several F104s (!!!) used as interceptors :( :(
Their nickname here? The "flying coffins". If you want a sure bet, just put your money on FEW of them per year crashing, just for technical breakdowns.. One of them, some years ago, hit exactly in the middle of a school building, after its pilot bailed out :(

Marek Tucan -> (11/18/2002 5:22:40 PM)

Hmm... Yes, our AF also have had casaulties - including two MiGs crashed in the fog just over a suburb of one of our largest cities... Fortunately no deaths, as the crew ejected and the wrecks demolished few parked emptz cars...

Kraut -> 2 articles on that issue (11/19/2002 3:21:29 AM)

First article:

The quest for jets

by Emir Halilovic

As new NATO members, the Czech Republic, Poland and Hungary don't have much to show for the last several years' efforts to build their air forces, except experience

This week, the U.S. jets patrolling Czech airspace during the NATO summit are intended to send a message of inviolability to would-be terrorists. But for the Czech Republic their presence is a nagging reminder of an uncomfortable fact: In the three years since the country joined NATO, the country's air force—like that of Hungary and, to a lesser extent, Poland—has gone downhill, and efforts to bolster air defense have yielded more controversy than progress.

Here's the rest:
http://www.pbj.cz/user/article.asp?ArticleID=164518

The second article:

Prague businesses brace for NATO

Summit could be chance to show off city's flood recovery, some say

By Marius Dragomir and Joel Kirkland

Hotel Union stands in the hot zone just below the Prague Congress Center on Ostrcilovo Namesti. Outside its wide front windows, protesters fought pitched battles against the police, overturned cars and smashed windows during the International Monetary Fund/World Bank meeting two years ago.
This week, the 57-room hotel braces for more of the same. NATO comes to town this week to ring in a new era and formally accept seven former communist countries into the Western security alliance (see special supplement, this issue). The bulk of the West's defense brass and 46 heads of state will meet at the Prague Congress Center Thursday and Friday.
The NATO summit is the first since Sept. 11 and since U.S. talk of war with Iraq began. Nearly 50 demonstrations are registered with state authorities, and many expect additional protests to break off and perhaps turn violent, as they did during the IMF meeting. The police expect 12,000 protesters, despite promises to cut off some at the border:

http://www.pbj.cz/user/article.asp?ArticleID=164519

Marek Tucan -> (11/19/2002 6:39:31 PM)

Hmm... Yes, the police expects this number... But I am more afraid of the terorrists - 46 heads of states would be a perfect target for them... But the security is on quite high level - if they won`t use nuke...
Btw George Bush is coming today at 21:25. It is most probble he won`t be staying at Prague, but perhaps he will be in our president`s summer residence in Lany and he will use a VMH-1 to travel to Prague... Lany offer better protection than any hotel...

Last news: Maybe the Czech Rep. will share new fighter jets with the SLovakia (if it will be invited into NATO). At present the Slovakia has 22 or 20 MiG-29 (I dont`know if the two crashed two weeks ago are in this nuber or not).

Seeyou...

Marek Tucan -> (11/20/2002 5:45:54 PM)

The AF-One landed yesterday evening at 21:13...
So George Bush is here and he slept in the US Embassy residence - not far from my school,but I won`t have a look - don`t want to get into Secret Service files... Anyway,it is most probable that the surrounding of the residence is closed:)
Yesterdy a bomb under a railway track was discovered - it was an amateur work..
And on another railway someone get a wreck of a car on the tracks - luckily enouggh the train stopped just in time...
Fortunately no riots here - but it is feared that tomorrow will be worse...
US F-16s from Aviano and F-15s from England are already patrolling - their base is in Caslav, east of Prague...
And our MiG-21 jets are in a standoff readiness:)))

I don`t know if I will be able to get here on thursday,friday and the weekend,but I will try. Else I will inform you on monday.

Kraut -> (11/20/2002 6:02:37 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Marek Tucan
[B]The AF-One landed yesterday evening at 21:13...
So George Bush is here and he slept in the US Embassy residence - not far from my school,but I won`t have a look - don`t want to get into Secret Service files... Anyway,it is most probable that the surrounding of the residence is closed:)
Yesterdy a bomb under a railway track was discovered - it was an amateur work..
And on another railway someone get a wreck of a car on the tracks - luckily enouggh the train stopped just in time...
Fortunately no riots here - but it is feared that tomorrow will be worse...
US F-16s from Aviano and F-15s from England are already patrolling - their base is in Caslav, east of Prague...
And our MiG-21 jets are in a standoff readiness:)))

I don`t know if I will be able to get here on thursday,friday and the weekend,but I will try. Else I will inform you on monday. [/B][/QUOTE]

Sure, keep us posted if you can. :)

Culiacan Mexico -> Re: NATO Summit, Prague (11/24/2002 2:28:36 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Marek Tucan
[B]And now the supersonic aircraft force of the Czech Air Force consists only of FOUR MiG-21 fighters:)...Tuccy [/B][/QUOTE]Any possiblity you will buy the F-35 when they are in production?

Marek Tucan -> (11/25/2002 2:34:56 PM)

Sorry, I wasn`t able to get here from my home (I have sooo slow computer:)) So the summit`s over and nothing happened - now our president critisized the police, he said that here were too many policemen. MORON! He is the only one (if we don`t count the communist party)...
Seven new countries to join the Alliance...

Hmm... Newest news: The Czech rep. will cooperate with Slovakia and create an all-new air security concept... The air defense will be joint and it will most likely consist of 24 Saab-Jas-39 Gripen fighters, 14 will be ours and 10 will be Slovak...
As for the JSF... It doesn`t seem so... Anyway if the choice had to be some hyper-fighter, I would choose the Su-37 Abrakadabra:) But I must admit that F-35 looks better than the Eurofighter 2000:)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI