How good is the overall land warfare system? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

fflaguna -> How good is the overall land warfare system? (4/2/2012 8:36:36 AM)

I'm wondering about the viability of this engine for a WW2-era total conversion Korean War mod. As you know, the bulk of the Korean War was land-oriented, so I'm wondering how such a scenario would hold up as far as realism and gameplay are concerned.

I guess the best way to ask about the land system would be: "If someone had made a "Quiet Pacific" scenario (focused only on the Chinese land theater and coastline), would that have made for a compelling game?" What are your thoughts?

Thank you.

[image]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/eb/Korean_war_1950-1953.gif[/image]

JeffroK -> RE: How good is the overall land warfare system? (4/2/2012 9:20:26 AM)

1/10
I dont think it would work.

fflaguna -> RE: How good is the overall land warfare system? (4/2/2012 10:01:59 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

1/10

You're probably right, but any thoughts on the WitP:AE land warfare system? Perhaps better suited for TOAWIII, but seeing as the Korean War happened less than five years after the close of WW2, the WitP:AE system should be robust enough.

mike scholl 1 -> RE: How good is the overall land warfare system? (4/2/2012 11:29:08 AM)

quote:

I'm with Jeff. You could try to force it, but the result would be pretty "kludgie" for a large land game. It works OK for the Pacific islands, but it already breaks down and needs "house rule" bandaids for China.

fflaguna -> RE: How good is the overall land warfare system? (4/2/2012 11:35:17 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mike scholl 1

quote:

I'm with Jeff. You could try to force it, but the result would be pretty "kludgie" for a large land game. It works OK for the Pacific islands, but it already breaks down and needs "house rule" bandaids for China.

Hi, Mike. Are these House Rules a result of scenario settings, or actual problems with abstraction of WitP:AE land combat?

I'm picking up The Operational Art of War 3, now. There are some Korean War scenarios, but they're rather few and far between for such a serious war.

mike scholl 1 -> RE: How good is the overall land warfare system? (4/2/2012 12:15:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: fflaguna

Hi, Mike. Are these House Rules a result of scenario settings, or actual problems with abstraction of WitP:AE land combat?

I'm picking up The Operational Art of War 3, now. There are some Korean War scenarios, but they're rather few and far between for such a serious war.

You can find a number of them posted at the beginnings of AAR's. Then of course, there are the "quiet China" mods which attempt to avoid the problem altogether.

fflaguna -> RE: How good is the overall land warfare system? (4/2/2012 2:46:06 PM)

10/10 Thank you, will do. :)

Canoerebel -> RE: How good is the overall land warfare system? (4/2/2012 3:30:34 PM)

The ground war model in AE works decently - when you're playing AE (and when you have enough experience to know how it works).  It's fine for AE, because the land war is dwarfed by the signficance of the war at sea, the war in the air, and logistics.

The AE ground model wouldn't be at all suited for a largely land campaign where sea and logistics are secondary or less.

JocMeister -> RE: How good is the overall land warfare system? (4/2/2012 4:36:20 PM)

I think something like Korea could work pretty well with the WITE engine. So perhaps you should look at that instead. AEs land model is sadly far from up to par with the rest of the game.

Blackhorse -> RE: How good is the overall land warfare system? (4/3/2012 10:06:58 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

The ground war model in AE works decently - when you're playing AE (and when you have enough experience to know how it works).  It's fine for AE, because the land war is dwarfed by the signficance of the war at sea, the war in the air, and logistics.

The AE ground model wouldn't be at all suited for a largely land campaign where sea and logistics are secondary or less.

+1

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI