RE: The Immense Pleasure of Huge Wargames (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

PizzaMan -> RE: The Immense Pleasure of Huge Wargames (4/15/2012 8:18:28 AM)

Did anyone play this monster game? My high school friend had a few modules, but we never played it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_(wargame)

sprior -> RE: The Immense Pleasure of Huge Wargames (4/15/2012 9:38:08 AM)

Likewise, I have some of the Europa games but never played them.

fcharton -> RE: The Immense Pleasure of Huge Wargames (4/15/2012 10:22:04 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blacksheep
I second the motion for CNA. I managed to get through five turns of that monster in my pre-pc days, and I look at it as one of my finest gaming achievements. The logistics lend themselve to a computer model not to mention the A2A combat (which took days in itself to resolve). Probably will never see it but I can dream.

Looks like lots of people had the same idea about CNA. I am not sure it would make a very good computer wargame, though.

Like many similar monsters, CNA implies a lot of small decisions by the players throughout the turn sequence. Unless you totally rework the combat and movement system, you won't be able to translate this into a WITP-like computer game: you'd end up with an incredible click-fest. The turn sequence also has a lot of player interaction, which complicates PBEM.

What might work would be a Vassal-like system, that would keep all the game files on one's machine (and therefore reduce the playing space), help with die rolls and resolution, and (perhaps?) could be played PBC (play by chat), in interactive sessions.

I have been toying with this idea for a long time, never really took the time to explore it in details, but I believe that would be the way to play "old wargames" again.

On the other hand, the design has lots of very interesting ideas, which could be used by computer games. For what I've seen, most computer wargames sort of "evolved" from ASL-like systems, where you get large scale result by agregating small scale figures. Many paper wargames followed a different, top down, route to modelling, that probably lends itself better to AI programming, and would most certaintly result in games with a very different feel than the ones we play now.

Francois

treespider -> RE: The Immense Pleasure of Huge Wargames (4/15/2012 1:03:05 PM)

All of you CNA guys should really look at DAK/DAK2, originally designed by a company called the Gamers. The Gamers merged/sold to Multi-man publishing (MMP) the same folks currently bringing you ASL.

DAK and DAK2 are a part of the operational combat series (OCS). Essentially various campaigns at 5 miles hex.

OCS 1 - Guderians Blitzkrieg (the drive on Moscow)
OCS 2 - Enemy at the Gates (Soviet Stalingrad Counter Offensive through the spring)
OCS 3 - Tunisia
OCS 4 - Hube's Pocket
OCS 5 - DAK
OCS 6 - Burma then re-sissued and revised Burma II (operation in northern Burma 1944)
OCS 7 - Sicily
OCS 8 - Guderians Blitzkrieg II (revised and expanded as series was now on version 4 by this point)
OCS 9 - Korea
OCS 10 - Case Blue (massive expansion and standalone that combined with GBII) allowing the southern Russian front to be redone at 5 miles a hex from Moscow all the way into the Caucuses...

The Gamers produced some innovative games and provided excellent support...cannot say enough about them.

treespider -> RE: The Immense Pleasure of Huge Wargames (4/15/2012 1:08:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: fcharton

quote:

I second the motion for CNA. I managed to get through five turns of that monster in my pre-pc days, and I look at it as one of my finest gaming achievements. The logistics lend themselve to a computer model not to mention the A2A combat (which took days in itself to resolve). Probably will never see it but I can dream.

Looks like lots of people had the same idea about CNA. I am not sure it would make a very good computer wargame, though.

Like many similar monsters, CNA implies a lot of small decisions by the players throughout the turn sequence. Unless you totally rework the combat and movement system, you won't be able to translate this into a WITP-like computer game: you'd end up with an incredible click-fest. The turn sequence also has a lot of player interaction, which complicates PBEM.

What might work would be a Vassal-like system, that would keep all the game files on one's machine (and therefore reduce the playing space), help with die rolls and resolution, and (perhaps?) could be played PBC (play by chat), in interactive sessions.

I have been toying with this idea for a long time, never really took the time to explore it in details, but I believe that would be the way to play "old wargames" again.

On the other hand, the design has lots of very interesting ideas, which could be used by computer games. For what I've seen, most computer wargames sort of "evolved" from ASL-like systems, where you get large scale result by agregating small scale figures. Many paper wargames followed a different, top down, route to modelling, that probably lends itself better to AI programming, and would most certaintly result in games with a very different feel than the ones we play now.

Francois

I have Vassal but have never used it...do you have any experience with it?

fcharton -> RE: The Immense Pleasure of Huge Wargames (4/15/2012 6:05:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: treespider

Never used it to actually play a game, but tinkered with it quite a bit.

As for the Gamers, when it was published, DAK was sold as "CNA done right". To some extent, it is true, as there are quite a few teams who have played the full campaign for DAK, whereas I don't think anyone except the playtesters ever played the whole CNA.

I never was a huge fan of OCS, but I loved all the Gamers TCS games.

Francois

Mac Linehan -> RE: The Immense Pleasure of Huge Wargames (4/15/2012 7:30:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: treespider

quote:

ORIGINAL: fcharton

quote:

I second the motion for CNA. I managed to get through five turns of that monster in my pre-pc days, and I look at it as one of my finest gaming achievements. The logistics lend themselves to a computer model not to mention the A2A combat (which took days in itself to resolve). Probably will never see it but I can dream.

On the other hand, the design has lots of very interesting ideas, which could be used by computer games. For what I've seen, most computer wargames sort of "evolved" from ASL-like systems, where you get large scale result by agregating small scale figures. Many paper wargames followed a different, top down, route to modelling, that probably lends itself better to AI programming, and would most certainly result in games with a very different feel than the ones we play now.

Francois

treespider -

I played Squad Leader / Advanced Squad Leader from 1977 until 1990. Discovered Multi Man Publishing in 2006 thereabouts. Discovered the ASL module for the Vassal game engine. Studied the rules during the summer of 2007 (in the mountains, no computer) then, upon return to Denver, played ASL using the vassal module. It was absolutely outstanding. A Vassal module includes the game map boards, counters and markers. The player must still have a copy of the product with the game rules and charts. What is so awesome to me, is that the ASL board and pieces can be magnified, and I no longer have to manually setup and manipulate all the game counters. Plus, I just save and exit when done playing - something we take for granted with computer games.

I have the Vassal version of Gamers / MMP OCS2 "Enemy at the Gates" on my old AMD computer. I recall downloading it as freeware from MMP in 2009; don't recall any other details. Set it up and looked at it - very appealing, but have not yet had time to play it. If you would like a copy of the zipped game, please PM me. I would like to emphasize again that the download was free of charge at the time; thus I feel comfortable in making this offer.

Do hope that this helps. I have heard nothing but good about the Gamers / MMP OCS system. I am a hard core ASL player - but stopped in summer of 2009 to focus on WitP AE.

Mac

USS Henrico -> RE: The Immense Pleasure of Huge Wargames (4/15/2012 11:25:23 PM)

quote:

Did anyone play this monster game? My high school friend had a few modules, but we never played it:

I played DNO and Unentschieden in high school as a team game with me as the Russian leader. We lost big-time: I still remember that bitterly. The Narvik game was much more playable, but I think I only played that solitaire.

What was cool about the Europa games were the individual aircraft types, while SPI games like War In Europe were still wedded to the abstact concept of air support points in their games. Also the Europa series had better differentation between ground unit types, which led to more math calcs before you rolled the dice, but just seemed cooler.

ilovestrategy -> RE: The Immense Pleasure of Huge Wargames (4/16/2012 12:27:50 AM)

I'm curious, how many folks here still play board strategy games. Most of us have kids, pets, or grand kids to cause all sorts of mayhem. I just can't see anyone over thirty having an unmolested table.

My PC is my table top nowadays.

John 3rd -> RE: The Immense Pleasure of Huge Wargames (4/16/2012 12:55:03 AM)

I have a basement with a lockable door...

Grfin Zeppelin -> RE: The Immense Pleasure of Huge Wargames (4/16/2012 12:55:53 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Now that sounds creepy.

treespider -> RE: The Immense Pleasure of Huge Wargames (4/16/2012 1:21:24 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

I'm curious, how many folks here still play board strategy games. Most of us have kids, pets, or grand kids to cause all sorts of mayhem. I just can't see anyone over thirty having an unmolested table.

My PC is my table top nowadays.

For "Enemy at the Gates" I built a 4x8 table with a recessed top that I capped with a 4 section removable lid. When not playing the caps were in place which left the table as a useful place for laundry or crafts.

PizzaMan -> RE: The Immense Pleasure of Huge Wargames (4/16/2012 1:29:16 AM)

I kept all my board games, some are missing pieces after moving a dozen times. Every now and then I come across Star Fleet Battles chits in random drawers or boxes. The last board game I set up and played was in 2009, a solitaire Battle of Iwo Jima game that I think came out of an old issue of S&T.

PizzaMan -> RE: The Immense Pleasure of Huge Wargames (4/16/2012 1:35:30 AM)

I kept all my board games, some are missing pieces after moving a dozen times. Every now and then I come across Star Fleet Battles chits in random drawers or boxes. The last board game I set up and played was in 2009, a solitaire Battle of Iwo Jima game that I think came out of an old issue of S&T.

ilovestrategy -> RE: The Immense Pleasure of Huge Wargames (4/16/2012 1:45:31 AM)

All these Starfleet Battles players. I'm not alone. [:)]

USS Henrico -> RE: The Immense Pleasure of Huge Wargames (4/16/2012 1:55:24 AM)

Yeah, keeping my old board games in a damp basement the last decade hasn't been the best storage place. I did bring a few up a couple of years ago, but they are in boxes in a spare bedroom.

I subscribed to the new S&T and their WWII mag a couple of years ago when they had a sale on subscriptions, but got the magazines only and not the games. The last board games I bought were a few years ago at the annual gaming convention in town, where they held an auction. Neither game has gotten out of the box.

I have the room to setup a board game, but no desire to play anymore. I'm just too addicted to the computer. [:(]

Footslogger -> RE: The Immense Pleasure of Huge Wargames (4/16/2012 2:00:41 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Is there a lockable straitjacket in there too? [:D]

Empire101 -> RE: The Immense Pleasure of Huge Wargames (4/16/2012 6:43:13 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: PizzaMan

I played 'Drang Nach Osten', upto and including Typhoon. Then WiF turned up so DNO was packed up and never saw the light of day again.[8|]

DOCUP -> RE: The Immense Pleasure of Huge Wargames (4/17/2012 12:22:06 AM)

Never played board games.  But played what I am now call beer and pretzel strat games.  Now that I have met AE,  I am in love.  I hope that developers will continue to make games like this. 

rjopel -> RE: The Immense Pleasure of Huge Wargames (4/17/2012 2:01:23 AM)

quote:

There are two staff members for Star Fleet Battle's strategic game Federation and Empire.

Chris21wen -> RE: The Immense Pleasure of Huge Wargames (4/17/2012 9:37:08 AM)

All we really want now is WitW. You work it out.[;)]

ilovestrategy -> RE: The Immense Pleasure of Huge Wargames (4/17/2012 9:52:40 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjopel

quote:

There are two staff members for Star Fleet Battle's strategic game Federation and Empire.

Man, that game is brutal. My map is worn out, I'll have to ask Nash if it's possible to order a new one.

PizzaMan -> RE: The Immense Pleasure of Huge Wargames (4/18/2012 7:28:24 PM)

World's Largest games? No love for WitP-AE

http://games.yahoo.com/photos/the-world-s-largest-games-1334353059-slideshow/the-world-s-largest-games-photo-1334688366.html

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI