RE: Buried in the Sunset (Marbakka [A] vs. Texas_D [J]) - Reluctant Admiral 4.1 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

marbakka -> RE: Buried in the Sunset (Marbakka [A] vs. Texas_D [J]) - Reluctant Admiral 4.1 (5/2/2012 12:51:49 AM)

An overview of the first few weeks. It's pretty hard to see anything at all. Something I haven't mentioned much is his push into the Solomons. He's been pretty relentless down here. I think he is getting close to a point where he may take a shot at PM. Enterprise and Lexington are on the way.

[image]local://upfiles/41421/F69B497BA76D41BF87F61D6B9125338F.jpg[/image]

BBfanboy -> RE: Buried in the Sunset (Marbakka [A] vs. Texas_D [J]) - Reluctant Admiral 4.1 (5/2/2012 1:04:14 AM)

Best way I can think of to get supplies from Manila to Clark is to use the buttons on the Base Info screen to draw all the supply to Clark. Move your troops right away and Manila will only retain enough supply for any troops remaining in the city and the rest will move to Clark.

Looking at your map, Suchow is a vital RR crossroads and is likely lightly held. If you can push aside the pesky unit beside you and move on it he will be forced to send troops. No nearby bases means they will have to march for several days and you could hold Suchow and sever his southern supply link for a while.

marbakka -> RE: Buried in the Sunset (Marbakka [A] vs. Texas_D [J]) - Reluctant Admiral 4.1 (5/2/2012 1:09:29 AM)

I did some recon of Suchow 4-5 days ago and it seemed well protected. That's why I kept them where they are.

marbakka -> RE: Buried in the Sunset (Marbakka [A] vs. Texas_D [J]) - Reluctant Admiral 4.1 (5/2/2012 3:08:59 AM)

Orders Summary - 12/22/1941

- It's distribution time in Pearl Harbor. I've sent a CD battery and an ART unit to Midway. This should bring the garrison there up to within 100 of the stack limit. Johnston Island is also getting an ENG unit. Canton's reinforcements should arrive within a day or so. Christmas Island will receive the INF unit that WAS bound for Adak until he took it out from under my nose.
- I transferred the B17s from Soerabaja to Perth. I think we're pretty much done trying to accomplish anything with them in the DEI. I'm working on getting Alice Springs build up to a lvl 4 airfield, but it is taking a long time.
- In China, I pushed some more troops into Changsha, but it will take them a while to get there. Not sure if they can make it in time.
- My CVs will meet with the replenishment fleet tomorrow and stop for a drink before continuing on to New Zealand
- Houston BG is headed back south to join up with Force Z. With the mKB parked off of 'Baja, I'm starting to think about just withdrawing these ships to fight in the Solomons. No decision yet.

ny59giants -> RE: Buried in the Sunset (Marbakka [A] vs. Texas_D [J]) - Reluctant Admiral 4.1 (5/2/2012 3:52:00 AM)

quote:

I've sent a CD battery and an ART unit to Midway.

This looks good, but doesn't add much in the way of Assault Value to your defense. They will both damage and maybe sink a few transports, but not stop an invasion. I would consider sending an independent infantry regiment here. Force him to send in a division to take the place. When you get a chance, ship in some fuel and base two or three S-boats here for the next few months. Later in the game an AS to reload your subs operating off Japan helps to cut down turnaround time.

quote:

I transferred the B17s from Soerabaja to Perth.

I would have sent them to India. You can easily get more B-17s from Pearl and the USA. The B-17D models lack a rear gun, but have greater range than the E or F models. You can actually hit Sian from Ledo which is a surprise to Japanese players. [:)] You can send them quickly to Chungking and then bomb his ships at Takao if he gets lazy and leaves little CAP overhead. Sending some of your British Recon planes briefly to China for a few days is always good. Use them for some hit and run missions to force him to leave CAP on rear area AFs.

HansBolter -> RE: Buried in the Sunset (Marbakka [A] vs. Texas_D [J]) - Reluctant Admiral 4.1 (5/2/2012 2:59:51 PM)

A regiment will overstack Midway.

You can never put enough ground AV on a 6,000 capacity atoll to prevent it being taken.

The only way to make an invasion attempt fail is by naval/air intervention.

ny59giants -> RE: Buried in the Sunset (Marbakka [A] vs. Texas_D [J]) - Reluctant Admiral 4.1 (5/2/2012 3:36:36 PM)

True, but as the Allies you can afford to pay the supply for the overstacking. I have plenty of small xAKLs I use from Pearl to deliver supplies and fuel. If they get sunk, it isn't a big deal. I use an understrenght regment on Midway for the first six months or so and then pull it out. I want to make Japan pay for the base and give the Allies a chance to hit him with air and naval from Pearl.

marbakka -> RE: Buried in the Sunset (Marbakka [A] vs. Texas_D [J]) - Reluctant Admiral 4.1 (5/2/2012 6:03:37 PM)

Combat Report - 12/22/1941

- A second day of bombing the port at Soerabaja lands a couple more bomb hits on CL Mauritius. I believe she is up to 35 SYS damage, none of it major. The mKB drifted slightly to the SE, but remained in the Java Sea. It is really getting under my skin that I can't do a single thing to stop him from sitting there bombing the mess out of Soerabaja. Some AA units arrived today, but they will take 2-3 days to unpack. My fighter CAP there is pathetic.
- My CVs did not link up with the replen fleet like I'd planned. I was off by a hex. Frustrating.
- Another day of fighting in Changsha. Forts are down to 2 with 1 to 4 odds in my favor. It won't last, though, and I'm not sure my reinforcements can make it in time. I'm starting to think about how to handle a retreat from the area if he takes it. It MIGHT be possible to retake it since I've got a large force causing problems for him in his rear and he'll have to deal with it sooner or later.
- Manila falls. I am reduced to Clark Field and Bataan. Now that the possibility of more troops arriving is past, maybe I can get these guys organized where CF isn't overstacked and sucking down supplies. BTW, I'm pleased to report that the DD and AO that I sent out toward Midway has made it through the Philippine Sea and will pass midway between Iwo Jima and the Marianas tomorrow. They still have a long way to go, but it is nice to see something salvaged. I also got 3 subs repaired and out during the last few days in Manila.
- I'm starting to see some submarine activity in the Bay of Bengal. Specifically, west of Rangoon where my cargo fleets are shipping to Rangoon. A serious problem in this theater is the land of solid DDs. In fact, I have a SAG in Trincomalee headed up by 2 CAs that I refuse to allow out of port because the best we can come up with for ASW are a couple KVs. Speaking of Rangoon, I realized just now that Colombo is completely drained of supplies. I don't remember shipments from Cape Town taking this long last game, or maybe I just didn't notice because I didn't make many shipments to Rangoon in that game.
- An enemy LCU of unknown strength is attempting to cut off the last of my troops fleeing to Pegu from the south. I'll have to update you guys on my Burma defense in the next day or so. In the meantime, 16 B17s out of Calcutta are going to be dropping some leaflets on this unit kindly requesting that they proceed no further.

John 3rd -> RE: Buried in the Sunset (Marbakka [A] vs. Texas_D [J]) - Reluctant Admiral 4.1 (5/2/2012 6:29:17 PM)

Concur with Michael. You've got the supply to overstack the base. A full RCT their that is prepped would be a NASTY surprise.

marbakka -> RE: Buried in the Sunset (Marbakka [A] vs. Texas_D [J]) - Reluctant Admiral 4.1 (5/2/2012 9:03:56 PM)

Combat Report - 12/23/1941

A couple quick turns today.

- His deliberate attack at Kweiteh a few days ago showed me that his attacking force was weak. I went on the offensive and had 9 to 1 odds. I believe I destroyed something like 70 of his squads. This is the dot base on the rail line well inside his lines.
- My aggressiveness in the woods SE of Changsha did not see anything close to that kind of success. Those troops will be licking their wounds for a while.
- My garrison NE of Loyang did well against the attackers once again. I think he will have to rest his troops now. Fine with me. My own troops are seeing some great training up there.
- Another day of bombing in Soerabaja. This time my fighters decided to work together and we shot down a goodly number of Vals and Kates. He actually moved his fleet even closer to the port this time.
- He is running recon over PM pretty much every turn. I need fighters there BAD, but I've got nothing to put there unless I remove the P40s from Ambon. I can FEEL the attack on Port Moresby coming. I need these carriers to get over in this area faster.

marbakka -> RE: Buried in the Sunset (Marbakka [A] vs. Texas_D [J]) - Reluctant Admiral 4.1 (5/2/2012 11:40:51 PM)

Combat Report - 12/24/1941

Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the house...

- mKB finally stopped harassing Soerabaja and moved to the center of the Java Sea
- Sub action here. Sub action there. Duds and misses all around.
- My B17s couldn't hit the broad side of a barn
- Houston BG is diverted to Port Moresby. I have an ominous feeling that he will attack there soon with at least a bombardment.
- My other light cruiser group should arrive in Brisbane within a day or so to refuel. This coincides with the completed repair of my Australian cruisers. The Solomon Sea will soon go from 0 Allied surface coverage to: 3 cruiser SAGS, 2 CVs, and (in about a week) Force Z. Surprise!
- With the mKB out of the way, Force Z has moved closer to Ambon. SigInt shows a fleet just north of Ternate which I suspect is a landing fleet for either Ambon or Kendari. We shall see.

HansBolter -> RE: Buried in the Sunset (Marbakka [A] vs. Texas_D [J]) - Reluctant Admiral 4.1 (5/3/2012 12:09:23 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: marbakka

- My CVs did not link up with the replen fleet like I'd planned. I was off by a hex. Frustrating.

Use the "meet" command under "routing" to ensure link-ups at sea.

BBfanboy -> RE: Buried in the Sunset (Marbakka [A] vs. Texas_D [J]) - Reluctant Admiral 4.1 (5/3/2012 2:51:41 AM)

Since carriers have a limit on the number of sorties they can send out [avgas and ammo supply depletion], you can make an estimate of what he has left by looking at all the strikes he threw at you. Since Allied intel would likely have a good estimate of the sorties they can support, I don't consider it cheating to start up a game as Japan and look at the data for sorties for the CVs and CVLs.

If you are sure you know the carrier class, you may be able to catch him with only one strike left. Send in a TF of 4-5 DDs to use up the strike [DDs are very hard to hit and have decent AA] and follow up with a cruiser TF or Force Z.

marbakka -> RE: Buried in the Sunset (Marbakka [A] vs. Texas_D [J]) - Reluctant Admiral 4.1 (5/3/2012 5:36:02 AM)

Orders Summary - 12/25/1941

China
- Big day here. I have about 1100 AV marching into Hankow with 700ish a couple days behind it. That is in addition to the 345 AV that are already there. He has moved some stuff into town to defend, but I won't know what he has until I do some scout attacking.
- Meanwhile, NE of Hankow at Sinyang, I'm piling the AV into the hex. I have about a 3rd of it there already, and I believe it was here that I ordered a bombardment to confirm what I believe are only moderate defenses.
- A few reinforcements arrived in Changsha today, but I believe he has been doing the same. Moreover, I'm being bombed here every day and because the AVG has decided to kick back and change the oil on all of its planes for the next week (in Chungking), I can't do anything to prevent the bombing
- In the north, I expect the dot base NE of Loyang to fall. It won't be long before he moves on the plains cities, so I'm getting ready to give evacuation orders to Yenan in the north

DEI
- For giggles, every bomber in the Batavia area and Singapore are set to Naval Attack. I probably won't hit any of the mKB (even if he didn't have CAP), but I can't really do anything else with these bombers, so why not roll the dice? Maybe Santa will bring me a CVL?
- Force Z will move into position near Ambon. A replen fleet is making its slow way up from Darwin to top them off.

SOPAC
- Houston BG is headed for Port Moresby to stand watch. This TF includes Houston, Marblehead, and Boise among others.
- I'll be forming at least one other heavy SAG starting tomorrow. I will send this group to Noumea, which is only lightly garrisoned at the moment. I'll send some troops from Pearl/WC here soon, but all my transports are busy at the moment

CENPAC/WC
- HMS Warspite has completed repairs and is moving down the coast to Balboa thence to Cape Town. She'll be joining Indomitable in the IO
- In Pearl, minor repairs are coming along nicely. Some CLs finished their repairs and cleared up enough space in the shipyard that I stuck CA California in the dry dock to speed up her SYS damage before moving her to the WC. I hope to eventually add her to the 2 upcoming Air Combat fleets being formed in San Diego
- I've started building up the airfield at Christmas Island. I'm trying to make a lvl 4 pathway to move my B17s to Australia in time. I hate sticking planes on ships.

I have no idea what happened to KB2, and KB1 has not been spotted since the invasion of Wake. I will be quite disappointed if they appear in the Solomons as that would put an end to any hope of using my own CVs in that theater. It would also mean that my surface groups would have to find a new home.

HansBolter -> RE: Buried in the Sunset (Marbakka [A] vs. Texas_D [J]) - Reluctant Admiral 4.1 (5/3/2012 10:56:50 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Concur with Michael. You've got the supply to overstack the base. A full RCT their that is prepped would be a NASTY surprise.

I know the Americans can afford the supply drain, but doesn't atoll overstacking also cause a detrimental hit on morale as well? Is morale such a small factor in ground combat calculations that the gain in raw AV offsets having morale in the toilet? I don't know for certain myself. Often efforts at offering advice turn in to learning experiences for the advisor. [:)]

Not knowing for sure if crappy morale and higher raw AV is better than slightly lower AV and high morale I err on the side of caution and advocate adding a tank battalion and possibly another understreength Marine defense bn. The tank bn. adds a lot of AV for very little stacking value and the Marine defense bn. adds yet more coastal defense guns along with it's AV boost.

marbakka -> RE: Buried in the Sunset (Marbakka [A] vs. Texas_D [J]) - Reluctant Admiral 4.1 (5/3/2012 4:07:49 PM)

I'm a little confused as to why you guys are talking about overstacking atols. If I said that I was sending a regiment to Midway, I meant a unit. The total troops should not rise above 6000 (but I did it so that it would be very close to that). If he wants Midway, I can't stop him from getting it. No sense in wasting life out there.

marbakka -> RE: Buried in the Sunset (Marbakka [A] vs. Texas_D [J]) - Reluctant Admiral 4.1 (5/3/2012 4:42:15 PM)

Combat Report - 12/25/1941

I asked Santa for a CVL for Christmas. I didn't get it, but I'm giddy like a kid on Christmas morning anyway.

- The mKB has disappeared again. It pretty much had to have moved W/NW but I'm not certain. In a sense, it doesn't matter to me. He will have to return it to port in either case
- He is starting to land in the island bases between Luzon and Mindinao. The attack on Clark Field can't be far off.
- An enemy force is reported to be off of Attu Island (SigInt). No real surprise here.
- And then there's China...
quote:

"In all fighting, the direct method (cheng) may be used for joining battle, but indirect methods (chi) will be needed in order to secure victory" - Sun Tzu, The Art of War (5:4)

Cheng
- I've been trying to pile troops into Changsha in order to counter the attacks that have been reducing my fortifications bit by bit. Each battle seems to have better odds for him. But I continue to do well despite his best efforts.
quote:

Ground combat at Changsha (82,52)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 67809 troops, 779 guns, 208 vehicles, Assault Value = 1738

Defending force 63317 troops, 358 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1296

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 1

Japanese adjusted assault: 1377

Allied adjusted defense: 1045

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), morale(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
3127 casualties reported
Squads: 7 destroyed, 308 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 30 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 40 disabled
Guns lost 20 (2 destroyed, 18 disabled)
Vehicles lost 35 (1 destroyed, 34 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
888 casualties reported
Squads: 27 destroyed, 41 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 134 disabled
Engineers: 5 destroyed, 7 disabled
Guns lost 9 (3 destroyed, 6 disabled)

Chi
- The movement of my "Ichang Army" has been intended as a diversion from the start. However, since there has been very little reaction to this large force in his rear, it has turned into a more substantive maneuver. In Hankow, the Japanese attempted to dislodge the 300ish AV that had arrived ahead of the main force. Little did he know that by the end of the day about 90% of my army would be in the hex.
quote:

Ground combat at Hankow (85,50)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 12144 troops, 88 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 482

Defending force 58983 troops, 344 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1810

Japanese adjusted assault: 40

Allied adjusted defense: 2641

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 66

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
4488 casualties reported
Squads: 218 destroyed, 103 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 92 disabled
Engineers: 4 destroyed, 3 disabled
Guns lost 44 (30 destroyed, 14 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
126 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 17 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

- Moreover, the Japanese once again tried to take Tsiaotso, the dot base NE of Loyang. Once again, my troops came out ahead by about 1000 casualties
- I will take Hankow. It is also possible that I can take Sinyang. I've got 650 AV already there and another 250 coming in tomorrow or the next day. This means that I have seriously inhibited his ability to get supplies into Wuchang and to the front. There are some ships parked outside of Hankow, which is consistent with the "radio chatter" that he had just supplied Hankow by river and then pumped it into Wuchang. Even so, he cannot allow this to stand, and I think this means that he MUST retreat from Changsha. I'll call that victory.
- I'm starting to salivate over Canton and Hong Kong. It's a rediculous idea, I know, but I do have around 1500 AV sitting in the forested hexes along the river NE of Canton. How strong are the Japanese in these areas usually? Is it conceivable, given my gains in Central China, that I can strike a blow in the south as well?

marbakka -> RE: Buried in the Sunset (Marbakka [A] vs. Texas_D [J]) - Reluctant Admiral 4.1 (5/3/2012 5:49:51 PM)

Orders Summary - 12/26/1941

- Deliberate attack in Hankow; Bombard in Sinyang (scouting attack; waiting for one more unit to arrive)
- B17s to bomb Airfield in Chiang Mai

That's pretty much it! It was a quiet turn.

marbakka -> RE: Buried in the Sunset (Marbakka [A] vs. Texas_D [J]) - Reluctant Admiral 4.1 (5/4/2012 12:03:44 AM)

Combat Report - 12/26/1941

- The carrier group that had been in the Java Sea has now exited to the north and is moving past Singkawang. I imagine they have to go and rearm/refuel now
- Hankow: My deliberate attack reduced the enemy fort to 3 and had 1 to 1 odds. I had 11 squads destroyed and 115 disabled. I'll have to give it a hard look before I decide whether to attack again right away or rest them. Time is a factor as he has reinforcements coming in from the NE and probably the SW as well
- Sinyang: My bombardment revealed that he has 500 AV here to my nearly 900. I will try a deliberate attack tomorrow, but I'm wary of throwing too much at this.
- Changsha: I'm fearful that this may fall tomorrow. If it doesn't, then I -should- have 350 AV worth of reinforcements that can cross the river. After that, it will be some time before my reinforcements from the Changteh region can be brought up
- He continues to snatch up small bases in the Solomons without any kind of worry from me. I'm offering him virtually no resistance anywhere but China right now

BBfanboy -> RE: Buried in the Sunset (Marbakka [A] vs. Texas_D [J]) - Reluctant Admiral 4.1 (5/4/2012 12:50:14 AM)

quote:

Combat Report - 12/26/1941

- Sinyang: My bombardment revealed that he has 500 AV here to my nearly 900. I will try a deliberate attack tomorrow, but I'm wary of throwing too much at this.

I would not expect good results from a DA of 900 Chinese vs 500 Japanese at this stage. Chinese AV is "soft", usually degraded in the combat calculation by poor morale, poor leadership, low experience and low supply. If you can get 3:1 AV advantage, you have a decent chance. Any troops that do survive your DA will gain experience but will be disrupted/fatigued for quite a while because of lack of supply [no locusts to add to their rice balls].

marbakka -> RE: Buried in the Sunset (Marbakka [A] vs. Texas_D [J]) - Reluctant Admiral 4.1 (5/4/2012 3:27:37 AM)

Combat Report - 12/27/1941

- In China, the attacks at Hankow and Sinyang went as expected. I brought the fortifications down a notch but took 130ish disabled squads in both battles. Time to rest them up a bit. No attack in Changsha, yet.
- My Banshees made their first appearance. I have mixed feelings. 28 Banshees attacked a transport convoy in the Sorong area. They sunk an AK and heavily damaged 2 AKLs. I'm betting they didn't make it far. I had hoped that they would make their debut against a bit of a larger transport fleet as he is likely to heavily escort anything else he sends this way. Part of me says that their work at Ambon is complete now because he is unlikely to make any more transport moves into this area without carrier support...which would devistate these nice little bombers. Should I move them (and the P40s) down to Port Moresby now that he knows to fear them at Ambon? (BTW, a squadron of 6 Banshees arrived in Brisbane yesterday)
- I lost a DD south of Pago Pago to a Japanese submarine. Annoying.

BBfanboy -> RE: Buried in the Sunset (Marbakka [A] vs. Texas_D [J]) - Reluctant Admiral 4.1 (5/4/2012 3:37:40 AM)

I like your idea to move the Banshees - keep him guessing and he will have to spread his fighters and carriers around.

marbakka -> RE: Buried in the Sunset (Marbakka [A] vs. Texas_D [J]) - Reluctant Admiral 4.1 (5/4/2012 4:50:14 AM)

Orders Summary - 12/28/1941

- I did decide to move the Banshees to PM. However, getting them there is going to be tricky. For one thing, I don't want them at PM until I can get the P40s over there. Unfortunately, the P40s have to make 4-5 stops to get there while the A24s only need one. Also, one of the A24 squadrons needed a day to repair, so I left the P40s in Ambon for a day to cover that last squadron. As soon as I can get some more fighters into Australia, they'll be headed to PM. He upgraded his airfield at Rabaul to level 4 today
- The CVs are about 2 days out of Auckland
- Hankow troops are resting for at least a day. Sinyang troops will continue to press the attack. Some reinforcements arrived at Changsha, so I hope he attacks today.

ny59giants -> RE: Buried in the Sunset (Marbakka [A] vs. Texas_D [J]) - Reluctant Admiral 4.1 (5/4/2012 1:07:42 PM)

A-24s have poor NavB skills at start, so have them at 100% training when not in use, but close enough that they can move to PM in one turn. Just knowing you have them should make your opponent more cautious.

HansBolter -> RE: Buried in the Sunset (Marbakka [A] vs. Texas_D [J]) - Reluctant Admiral 4.1 (5/4/2012 5:05:11 PM)

I strongly recommed getting at least on full group of the two groups of P39s allotted to SWPac into PM set to Nav attack at 100ft. They are unbelievebly effective at slaughtering everything that comes to NG. They don't have the range of the A24s but close in at Lae, Salamaua and Buna they are devastating.

marbakka -> RE: Buried in the Sunset (Marbakka [A] vs. Texas_D [J]) - Reluctant Admiral 4.1 (5/4/2012 5:53:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

I strongly recommed getting at least on full group of the two groups of P39s allotted to SWPac into PM set to Nav attack at 100ft. They are unbelievebly effective at slaughtering everything that comes to NG. They don't have the range of the A24s but close in at Lae, Salamaua and Buna they are devastating.

Where are these P39s that you speak of? Are they in Pearl? If so, the reason I haven't moved them is that I can't spare the escorts just yet. My lighter cruisers are starting to finish their post-Dec7 repairs, so I may be able to move them soon. If they are part of the II Fighter Command, then they are already en route to Cape Town and should arrive in a week or so and can then be transferred to Cape Town.

Other than the P40s, the only fighters I have nearby are the fighters that start at Pago Pago, but I can't move those until I get more transports and fuel into that area, which will be another week or so as well.

marbakka -> RE: Buried in the Sunset (Marbakka [A] vs. Texas_D [J]) - Reluctant Admiral 4.1 (5/4/2012 6:29:15 PM)

Combat Report - 12/28/1941

- My attack on Sinyang was pretty costly, but it could have been far worse. It was a 1 to 1 battle with his forts now reduced to 2. I have roughly twice the number of troops and AV. They will need to rest a couple days before attacking again
- His landing on Panay (between Luzon and Mindinao) was poorly planned. I had combined the two garrisons on that island and the past couple of days of bombard attacks had revealed his mistake. A shock attack yesterday completely wiped out 700 Japanese troops. Try harder.
- He attacked in Changsha as I expected he would. I'm humored that we are both covertly pouring troops into this between battles. Currently there are something like 160000 troops doing battle in this city. I have now raised my AV here to 2000 compared to his 1750. The battle was 1 to 2 odds in my favor and my forts are now reduced to 1. However, he got a bad roll on the attack and I suspect he may have had enough. 124 of his assault squads were lost, 409 disabled compared to my 19 lost and 175 disabled.

But the biggest news of the day was definitely this:

The Dutch submarine KXVII spotted the mini-KB attempting to enter the port at Cam Ranh Bay. The CVE Taiyo, which for the past week has been pounding Soerabaja in the Java Sea, was attacked with 6 torpedoes. Only 1 hit its target, but it hit the ammo storage resulting in secondary explosions. The final outcome is unknown, but when the submarine commander submerged she was reported to be on fire. Tracker indicates that she sunk, but I've learned that I cannot rely on such information. In either case, I expect she won't be harassing Soerabaja again any time soon.

marbakka -> RE: Buried in the Sunset (Marbakka [A] vs. Texas_D [J]) - Reluctant Admiral 4.1 (5/4/2012 11:20:02 PM)

Combat Report - 12/29/1941

- An unescorted bombing run on Singapore proved to be ill advised for Japan. With no losses of my own, I shot down 21 Sallies and damaged 10 more.
- He attacked Clark Field for the first time today. The result was a battle with 1 to 2 odds in my favor. I destroyed 146 of his squads and damaged 336 others. Compare that to my own loss of 3 destroyed and 68 damaged. However, I'm not fooling myself. He reduced the forts and it will only be a matter of time before he is the one smiling after these attacks. I'll rotate in some fresh troops from Bataan starting today.
- I accidentally left my Sinyang troops set to attack. The result was not pretty but not devastating either. I'll let them rest for a few days (honest!). No attack in Hankow or Changsha this turn. Also, I've noticed that he has not attacked in norther china for about 4-5 days. I wonder what is going on there.
- USS Yorktown arrived today. I'll be working out who her escorts will be over the next few days. I may have her and Saratoga move to Pearl Harbor with their destroyers and just meet the cruisers at PH.
- Lexington and Enterprise still have the better part of a week to go to Auckland. Patience.

HansBolter -> RE: Buried in the Sunset (Marbakka [A] vs. Texas_D [J]) - Reluctant Admiral 4.1 (5/5/2012 1:32:11 AM)

quote:

quote:

Where are these P39s that you speak of? Are they in Pearl? If so, the reason I haven't moved them is that I can't spare the escorts just yet. My lighter cruisers are starting to finish their post-Dec7 repairs, so I may be able to move them soon. If they are part of the II Fighter Command, then they are already en route to Cape Town and should arrive in a week or so and can then be transferred to Cape Town.

Other than the P40s, the only fighters I have nearby are the fighters that start at Pago Pago, but I can't move those until I get more transports and fuel into that area, which will be another week or so as well.

No they don't start in Pearl, They probably haven't even entered the game yet, but SWPac gets two full groups of P39s to supplement the one group of P4os they get. Look at your air reinforcement track.

marbakka -> RE: Buried in the Sunset (Marbakka [A] vs. Texas_D [J]) - Reluctant Admiral 4.1 (5/5/2012 1:58:38 AM)

quote:

No they don't start in Pearl, They probably haven't even entered the game yet, but SWPac gets two full groups of P39s to supplement the one group of P4os they get. Look at your air reinforcement track.

Gotcha. I'll keep an eye out for them.

Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI