TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T051: 4.23.43 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports

mike1984 -> TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T051: 4.23.43 (7/19/2012 8:10:03 AM)

T051: 04.23.43
Mud continues, bogging down all major action.

Sector: Yelets
Just one minor counterattack by the Germans nets one hex. But otherwise no movement. I’ve added more units to the immediate reserve, and the rest of the 68th Army commits to battle.

Sector: Black Sea Coast
The 40th Army is now at Kutaisi, disembarking from the trains. It will immediately move to support the main defensive line west of the city. The 4th Guards Army is now just east of Batumi, and will disembark and move to defend the main city from attacks from the north. This should buy enough time to get at least one more army into this sector by May.

Sector: Tunis
Looks like the Axis are going to try to evacuate the remaining German units, including Rommel’s Afrika Korps HQ. But I’m hopeful I can grab them before they get onto the boats. The recent naval battle off the coast here broke my blockade of Tunis, so now if the Germans want to get their stragglers back to Italy, all they need is time and the transport.

mike1984 -> TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T052: 4.30.43 (7/19/2012 8:10:58 AM)

T052: 04.30.43

The Mud has dried up, and action begins once again.

Sector: Finland-Karelia
North - Attacks by the 4th Guards Tank Army against the 6th SS Geb Nord division are intended to simply keep that crack German unit tired and in constant battle. Mark has used the SS divisions perfectly in this scenario, spearheading any major offensive with these elite units.
South - I had expected a complementary offensive from the Finns to the south, but nothing has materialized, yet.

This was a very successful turn for the Russians, cutting off the entire 24th Panzer Division north of Yelets, while completely destroying an entire infantry division south of Yelets. The opportunity for the envelopment of the 24th came upon me by accident, as the 2nd Guards Tank Army was able to punch through the line south of the now stranded division. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to destroy the division, or follow up on successes in the south. This turn will set up my next offensive here, OPERATION: MEGAPHONE II, which will feature the newly arrived Guards Airborne Divisions. They will land behind the German lines, while the ground forces continue the assault. It’s basically a beefed up version of MEGAPHONE I.

[image]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-OymojWa9a_w/UAU4-2G4NaI/AAAAAAAABaI/uwXmBQ3hA74/s1600/TR152-T052-RUS-YELETS.jpg[/image]

The 4th Guards Army has positioned itself in front of Batumi, digging in with the 40th Army on its right flank. As I’ve stated repeatedly, more reinforcements will be needed here to really secure the region, but this will serve as (hopefully) a decent barrier until the help arrives.

The naval combat off the Tunis coast has been surprisingly sharp, as I’ve lose a few heavy and light cruisers, at least one battleship, and a few destroyers. The Italian Navy hasn’t fared better, as they’ve been nearly decimated by the ship-to-ship fire, and my carrier based air attacks from the Ranger Squadron south near Mareth. The V Corps and Canadian I Corp have successfully pushed the Axis into a tighter pocket, but weren’t able to crush them. It’s likely a few important German units will escape to Italy.

[image]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-oEGy6ixh7AI/UAU5V9-o27I/AAAAAAAABaQ/Lh8HUkJ55bc/s1600/TR152-T052-NAF-TUNIS.jpg[/image]

Sector: Tripoli
The British I Corps and V Corps are slowly moving on the defenses, using sustained but light attacks to wear down the defenders. The city should fall next turn.

mike1984 -> TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T053: 5.7.43 (7/19/2012 8:11:42 AM)

T053: 05.07.43

Sector: Finland-Karelia
The 6th SS Geb Nord was forced to withdraw to the rear after losing almost 80 percent of its effective combat strength. This is a fantastic development. Without that division, the point of the spear has been dulled. Likely, this sector is secure for a while, after what looked like a very big flashpoint for an Axis offensive.

[image]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-6D2m9I5NvJU/UAU62alITcI/AAAAAAAABag/Ttqnw8o1F0g/s1600/TR152-T053-RUS-KARELIA.jpg[/image]

Think of two boxers slugging away at each other, but neither going down or giving ground in any way. That’s pretty much what the Yelets sector has deteriorated into. It’s also forced me to cancel, or at least postpone, OPERATION: MEGAPHONE II. After surrounding but not destroying the 24th Panzer Division, the 2nd Guards Army was blown up by German reinforcements, wiping out at least 300 T-34s in the process. That loss hurts badly, but my lines are still in tact. Oddly enough, once I was able to launch a counterattack of my own, the 24th Panzer evaporated anyway. The losses for both sides at Yelets have been staggering, especially once you consider the lines have moved all of about two hexes since my initial offensive.

[image]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zcYhS7-HjDA/UAU6fm41DtI/AAAAAAAABaY/ONXXMW3MEu0/s1600/TR152-T053-RUS-YELETS.jpg[/image]

The 40th Army was pushed back a hex by the advancing Panzer Korps--XIV & XLI--but held when it mattered most. The patchwork assembly of the 44th, 45th, 46th and 47th Armies is doing a very poor job of defending the northern wing of my position. But those four armies have been battered and beaten into a bloody pulp over the last two months. I’ll need to get a few fresh armies down here to relieve them.

Sector: Tripoli
The British have finally taken Tripoli. I’ll now begin shuttling the I Corps and V Corps back to Egypt for refitting.

Rommel’s headquarters has been captured with several other remaining Afrika Korps and Italian units. North Africa is now under complete Allied control.

mike1984 -> TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T054: 5.14.43 (7/19/2012 8:12:02 AM)

T054: 05.14.43

As is the case nearly everywhere, this area has been quiet... well, as quiet as the Eastern Front can get. Just a few line adjustments here and there, including two minor attacks on the southern portion of the Yelets curve. I’ve pulled back the bulk of my Guards Armies in the center and northern portions of the curve, including the remnants of the 2nd Guards Army, and the 3rd Guards Tank, 5th Guards Tank, and 3rd Guards Army. Those armies will stay in the Yelets Sector, but stay back as a local reserve until their losses and readiness are recouped. The massed artillery will still continue to pound the German and Hungarian positions, while the 68th and 69th Armies are fully committed to the lines where those displaced Guards Armies once stood.

The 6th Guards Army has arrived on the Eastern Front, but is only at Mumra south of Astrakhan, staging for sea transport to Baku. From there, like the 4th Guards and 40th Army before them, the 6th Guards will board trains to the Black Sea Coast sector to help relieve the 44th thru 47th Armies. The problem for this sector is that the 8th Guards Army is the next big army to arrive as reinforcement, but they won’t show up until T056. I’m not sure the Black Sea Coast defenses can hold that long, as the 8th wouldn’t arrive on the line until T059 at the earliest. I’ve decided to pull the 53rd Army from the northernmost stretch of the Astrakhan sector (along the Volga River) and begin transporting them to this sector. It should help get fresh bodies on the line more quickly.

mike1984 -> TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T055: 5.21.43 (7/29/2012 2:57:53 AM)

T055: 05.21.43

Looks like OPERATION: MEGAPHONE II isn’t completely out of the picture. It will all depend on how many of Mark’s reserve units he keeps in the sector. Both sides are basically sitting in the corners, waiting for the bell to ring for the next round. But when will that be?

The 40th Army and 4th Guards Army are holding the southern wing of the line, but the northern half is really struggling. Many are on red in the readiness meter. The 6th Guards Army is staging at Baku, ready to ship by rail to T’Bilisi. If push comes to shove, it’ll be up to the 4th Guards and 40th Army to hold until the 6th can arrive.

Sector: Western North Africa
The 1st Free French Army is arriving, comprised of about four Free French divisions. One more arrived a few turns ago in Egypt, but hasn’t been ordered to any combat action. The US II & V Corps are resting and receiving much needed replacements, while the British First Army units are assembling at Algiers. From England, the British 6th Airborne has landed at Algiers, joining the 1st Airborne, which ended the campaign without seeing combat. Both of these units will join the US 82nd Airborne (also at Algiers) in the eventual invasion of mainland Europe.

mike1984 -> TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T056: 5.28.43 (7/29/2012 2:58:49 AM)

T056: 05.28.43

The 6th Guards couldn’t get here fast enough, as the main lines are faltering in the center and right flank. The previous turn, I pulled the 44th and 46th Armies from the line to rest along the supply route to T’Bilisi, leaving three armies and the 4th Guards to hold back the Axis. Most troublesome at this point is the 6th SS Division opposite the Guards. Mark has set a precedent that wherever the SS Divisions show up, the attack will be most fierce. The relentless offensive along the Black Sea Coast has caused every army facing it to become worn down without the chance to rest. If the 4th and 6th Guards can give the regular infantry armies time to rest, I can hold much of what’s left in this region.

Sector: Rzhev Salient - PLANS FOR OPERATION: GUILLOTINE
I’m in desperate need of some positive news on the Eastern Front, and I think I’ve found the place for some. OPERATION: GUILLOTINE is designed to lop off the Rzhev salient from the rest of the bulge in the German lines west of Moscow. I’ve been building up forces slowly for about two weeks, with the 5th Guards Army--including its three Airborne divisions--staging to the north. The ground element of the 5th Guards will move down to the front lines immediately before the offensive begins. I’m also currently in the process of moving the 8th Guards Army to the western task force. In all, I plan to build an assault force of nine armies, half of which will be Guards. South of Rzhev the main objective will be to cut off the main rail line--also the main supply line--to Rzhev. If the converging task forces can successfully meet up here, the Rzhev defenders will be surrounded and without supply. It should be an easy kill from there. The problem is that I’ve seen some rail guns moving into the eastern portion of the bulge, so I’m not sure if Mark is planning something at the same time in this area.

[image]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-__QRn5VQrdk/UAfOtzjdCfI/AAAAAAAABas/PURgIky4sEw/s1600/TR152-T056-RUS-RZHEV-GUILLOTINE.jpg[/image]

mike1984 -> TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T057: 06.04.43 (7/29/2012 3:04:33 AM)

T057: 06.04.43
The Germans and Slovakian unit have punched right through the Guards army tasked with defending the approach to Batumi. If the city falls, the Black Sea Fleet will be scuttled, marking the virtual end of sea power in that area for the Russians. The 53rd Army is staging and ready to go just south of Kutaisi. Originally, I wanted the 53rd to relieve the remaining line armies on the northern wing of my defenses, but now it will have to rush to defend Batumi.

No other significant updates.

mike1984 -> TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T058: 06.11.43 (7/29/2012 3:06:41 AM)

T058: 06.11.43
Sector: Batumi - Black Sea Coast
For the moment, I’ve halted the German push on Batumi. The 53rd Army was rushed around my left flank to secure the city, while the 4th and 6th Guards Armies regrouped and launched a counterattack, nearly capturing a hex. The heavy Panzer battalion took quite a licking in the defense, but held nonetheless.

The rest of the war in Europe is silent. I’m still deciding what to do with the Americans and British forces in Africa.

mike1984 -> TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T059: 06.18.43 (7/29/2012 3:56:09 PM)

T059: 6.18.43
Mark pulled back on some of his advanced Panzer divisions on the outskirts of Batumi. However, he was unable to shuffle in some fresh units, leaving me some prime real estate to advance the 53rd Army and regroup with the Guards Armies on its right flank. The 1st Guards Tank Army was building a strongly fortified line north of Baku, to act as a last-resort stop line should the Germans try to make a run on Baku. Now that those fortifications are complete, the 1st is available to bolster the defenses west of T’Bilisi. The 1st is a very powerful formation, one that might be able to lead a decent counter offensive in the region.

Sector: Rzhev - OPERATION: GUILLOTINE
I’m trying my best to keep the buildup of forces quiet by transferring formations in pieces to areas just outside the Rzhev salient. The one thing that might somewhat blow my cover would be the artillery buildup along the front lines. However, I’m not concentrating the guns at any specific point.

Sector: Sicily - OPERATION: HUSKY - PLANS
The plans for invading Sicily will be altered from the historical American-British joint effort. This time, I’m going to use a plan more similar to what George Patton proposed, assaulting both ends of the island simultaneously. The key here will be to land as much firepower on the beaches as quickly as possible. But that’s much easier said than done, since I know that Sicily has a very good number of Axis defenders. The first wave of landings will come ashore between Pachino and Syracuse, hopefully drawing reinforcements away from the western portion of the island. Even if one division is diverted away from the other beaches, this move will be worth it. Next will be the landings at Agrigento and airborne assault at the rail junction between Palermo and Agrigento. It will be up to the VI Corps to hold its right flank while pressing west to link up with the 82nd Airborne. The final assault will be right into the gut of Palermo, where I’m hoping to gain immediate benefit of capturing the port city. Once that beachhead has been established, the II Corps will move south to clear out and link up with the other side of the 82nd. This operation is designed to land as much as possible as quickly as possible. There is no other way for this to work.

[image]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-gPX7GI8N048/UBVOMBAJryI/AAAAAAAABbA/qx4yDK-Y1pY/s1600/TR152-T059-IT-PLANS-HUSKY.jpg[/image]

Sector: Crete - OPERATION: CARRIAGEWAY - PLANS
My most recent addition to the threatre-wide offensive is the invasion of Crete and Rhodes. The Allies historically ignored these two places, instead concentrating on Italy and France. But in my quest to keep Mark guessing, the capture of these islands will be critical to any plans for an invasion of the Balkans. Rhodes will be the first assault, carried out by the XIII Corps. This will allow the RAF to move fighter squadrons to within range of Crete, as they are currently out of range in Africa. Following will be the airborne drop on the road and airfield west of Iraklion coinciding with the landing at the port itself by the heavily armored X Corps. The last beaches will be optional, with the XXX Corps tentatively scheduled to land on the eastern tip of the island. From there, if they are given the “go” for this part of the operation, the XXX Corps will work west to link up with the X Corps.

[image]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/--cG8PWHhHiY/UBVOJmPeKiI/AAAAAAAABa4/bWK9rpEagfI/s1600/TR152-T059-GRE-PLANS-CARRIAGEWAY.jpg[/image]

mike1984 -> TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T060: 06.25.43 (7/29/2012 4:11:14 PM)

T060: 6.25.43

Disbands:
+20 Recon @ 4 Turns

Suddenly this situation isn’t quite so dire, thanks to the 1st Guards Tank Army’s attack on the German right flank north of Batumi. The 6. Panzer and 265. Infantry divisions were thrown back along the coast road, with the 8th Guards Tank Corps in pursuit. The loss of the position means the 20. Panzer is now in a precarious spot, facing Russian guns on all but one side. I will be curious to see how Mark handles this. Will he simply counterattack on the 20. Panzer’s flanks to relieve the unit? Or will he try to pull the division out of the pocket, risking evaporation or reorganization?

[image]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-mB8O09oAMhs/UBVSUvtX7XI/AAAAAAAABbo/V7gWjYbrkts/s1600/TR152-T060-RUS-BATUMI.jpg[/image]

Theaterwide Offensive Plans - Summer 1943

The more I consider how this will work, the more I realize all of these offensives will need the Shock boost at the same time. I can’t disband more than one shock unit, as it would be a waste. So I’m going to VERY CAREFULLY coordinate three different massive operations at the same time--GUILLOTINE in Russia, HUSKY in Sicily, and CARRIAGEWAY in Crete and Rhodes. Two of the operations need sea transport. All three need air transport. It’s not impossible, but it is very risky to attempt such a plan that requires such precision. Right now I can’t even make turn-by-turn plans yet until I know for sure which units will be available and at what time. The other considerations will be the Theater Recon disband and what it discovers for the Allied side. I expect to have turn-by-turn plans available in the next three turns.

mike1984 -> TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T061: 7.2.43 (7/29/2012 7:42:21 PM)

T061: 7.2.43

Disbands:
+10 Shock @ 4 Turns
Air Trans 4k @ 1 Turns
Sea Trans (Husky) 45k @ 2 Turns
Strategic Bomb -4 @ 4 Turns

Now that all of my artillery is in place, Mark has assumed something is coming this way, transferring at least two Panzer divisions by rail from the south, with a few other infantry divisions on the way as well. Fortunately the blown bridges south of Vyazma helped keep the reinforcements out of the salient. But rail crews are on the scene, so those bridges will be back up in no time. I’ve also used all of my rail transport (which is very difficult to do, figuring there is 54k Rail available to the Allied side) to get five Guards armies in place for the assault.

Sector: Crete/Rhodes - OPERATION: CARRIAGEWAY
As with most military operations, plans change. I’ve decided to not wait and land two divisions directly into Iraklion, with two more landing on the eastern tip of the island, and skipping the Rhodes section of the offensive all together. The former surprisingly worked flawlessly, while the latter surprisingly didn’t. The 4th and 51st divisions came ashore at Iraklion, capturing the port and the supply point. The 2nd New Zealand and 9th Australian divisions attempted to land on the eastern port hex, but were turned back by a single static defensive unit. The risk here now is that they could be targeted by the roving Italian Navy, last seen near Athens. Over the next two turns, I’ll land the rest of the XXX Corps at Iraklion, and the X Corps if needed. But now that the supply point on Crete has been taken first, much of this operation is moot. I’ll just need to secure the island, which will require significantly less manpower and material.

[image]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-73gU1zomHDA/UBWDqLVivmI/AAAAAAAABcM/Gh5EnaK-Fjs/s1600/TR152-T061-GRE-CRETE.jpg[/image]

Sector: Sicily - OPERATION HUSKY
I’m hoping Mark doesn’t see through my HUSKY plans as easily as the GUILLOTINE plans. The 82nd Airborne is staging for the initial drop, while the line divisions of the II and V Corps have entered the port of Tunis for boarding onto the transports. The VI Corps is doing the same out at Angiers. The other two operations are and will be risky, but HUSKY has the chance to be the most disastrous, should it fail.

Not much movement since the last turn. The Germans launched a minor counterattack that pushed back the progress of the 1st Guards Tank. But my gains were quickly restored by another attack this turn. With all the divisions being pumped into this sector recently by Mark, I’m actually shocked my positions have held this long.

mike1984 -> TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T062: 7.9.43 (7/29/2012 8:03:22 PM)

T062: 7.9.43

The first wave of attacks got off to a rocky start, but finished the turn having punched holes in both sides of the German salient. Provided the Airborne divisions aren’t swallowed up in the ensuing German counterattack, this operation is off to a great start. On the western slope of the curve, the 5th Guards Tank led the breakthrough, followed up by the remainder of the 5th Guards Army, which detached three divisions for the airborne drop. To the east, the 3rd Guards Tank and 3rd Guards Army are at the tip of the spearhead, with the 4th Guards Army in support. The 8th Guards Army to the north hasn’t even been committed to battle, and will provide valuable reserves for any problems that arise to the south. The Germans have a decent immediate reserve in front of the eastern breakthrough, so I’ll have to watch that section carefully. My objective for the next turn will be to link up the 5th Guards with the Airborne units.

[image]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-rmwiq3Rpxps/UBWHhj_hL0I/AAAAAAAABcw/8R3SrziStDo/s1600/TR152-T062-RUS-RZHEV.jpg[/image]

Sector: Crete - OPERATION: CARRIAGEWAY
This operation was so successful, I’m going to alter my HUSKY plans to include some of the British Corps that weren’t used in CARRIAGEWAY. All but two brigades of the XXX Corps are landed on Crete, now sweeping the island for remaining defenders. Once this is done, the South African division will become the garrison force here, with the rest of the XXX Corps moving to other actions. The capture of Crete will be critical for any invasion of mainland Europe, not excluding landings in the Balkans or the boot of Italy.

[image]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/--QD_-BynMI4/UBWHmsmqH2I/AAAAAAAABc4/qPoquj4G-XY/s1600/TR152-T062-GRE-CRETE.jpg[/image]

Sector: Sicily - OPERATION: HUSKY
Crap. Crap crap crap. Did I say “crap”? The ENTIRE V Corps has failed to get onto the beaches. This is disastrous on many levels, not only for the seaborne units off the coast of Syracuse. The airborne operation was designed to work directly with the beach landings. Now, with no support from the infantry, the British 1st Airborne--was added at the last minute to cover the northern flank of the landings--is a sitting duck for German counterattacks. I’m dreading what Mark is going to do to the seaborne units and Naval support squadrons. This next update could be the ugliest of the scenario. To the west, however, the VI Corps landed without a hiccup, and the 82nd Airborne has cut off the western rail line. The problem I now face here is that the 82nd was scattered on the drop, and could be eaten up piecemeal. If that happens, the unit will no longer be capable of airborne operations for the rest of the scenario. That is one TOAW rule I’d like to see changed.

[image]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Erx0it89R9I/UBWHtKBDdqI/AAAAAAAABdA/EyX1XKEAe2Q/s1600/TR152-T062-IT-SICILY.jpg[/image]

Not much action again this turn. Just some local attacks/counterattacks. The Armies I pulled off the line earlier (44th, 45th, 46th, 53rd) are nearly ready for battle. That’s a huge help to my cause here.

mike1984 -> TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T063: 7.16.43 (7/29/2012 8:18:31 PM)

T063: 7.16.43

The 110% Shock has taken full effect now, as not only have I received added boost to the attacking power of my units, but also extended battle rounds. This has allowed me to really grind into the German salient position south of Rzhev. The big problem, however, is that all three (!) of my airborne divisions were destroyed in the German counterattacks. That’s a huge loss for me, particularly in terms of the operational plans. Now it will be up to the main ground forces to move quickly and with more aggression than if the airborne drop zones were still in Russian control. I’ll need to transfer at least two more armies into this operation now that the airborne element is gone.

[image]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-X0AhG7-pRV8/UBWLP7nfPSI/AAAAAAAABdk/kDxiIR92zLw/s1600/TR152-T063-RUS-RZHEV.jpg[/image]

After the sheer terror at group HQ last turn, things are turning slightly more positive this turn, as the V Corps is all but two divisions (5th & 29th) ashore, with two British divisions (6th Armour & 46th Infantry) of the V Corps added to the beachhead for support. Since the US V Corps took such a pounding just getting onto the beaches, this will be the first beachhead to receive British reinforcements in the form of a full corps (V Corps) from Tripoli. Following the V Corps will then be the British I Corps, also waiting in Tripoli. At Agrigento, the VI Corps added its recon group and HQ unit, with the remnants of the 82nd Airborne covering the beach hex.

[image]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-aWmFVCIqCpU/UBWL5Kc50yI/AAAAAAAABds/w5fZbDN9MLQ/s1600/TR152-T063-IT-SICILY.jpg[/image]

The big development this turn came with the capture of Palermo, after which Mark indicated to me caught him by surprise. The capture of the biggest city in Sicily triggers the capitulation process for Italy. In 4-12 turns, all Italian military forces will lay down their arms. The problem is, however, the 9th and 34th divisions failed to come ashore, leaving them critically vulnerable to attack. Without their support on land, I was forced to use two brigades from the Malta Garrison to help cover the western flank of the beachhead. The Malta units were the smallest available combat units to be transported by the sea transport I had remaining. In the next wave of landings, I’ll have a bunch of support units from the Fifth Army and Fifteenth Army Group, as well as the Canadian I Corps, which will likely land at Palermo. If necessary, the Canadian II Corps will be called up to support any beachhead in danger.

mike1984 -> TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T064: 7.23.43 (7/29/2012 8:25:29 PM)

T064: 7.23.43

The two pincers have made contact south of Rzhev, but it’s more symbolic at this point than it is strategic. I’m nearly sure those lead elements of the 3rd and 5th Guards Tank armies will face a swift and fierce counterattack by the Germans, who are rapidly funneling reinforcements into the area on a daily basis. I will still have the advantage with 110% shock for one more turn after this, so establishing that I am at all able to connect the two attack forces is a nice milestone to reach before the shock runs out. Two more Guards armies have arrived. The 2nd Guards Tank army’s lead elements, along with two fresh artillery divisions, are getting off the trains east of the Vyazma pincer, while the 2nd Guards Army is disembarking just west of Rzhev. As a precaution, I’m going to order at least two more armies, even if they’re just regular infantry armies, to this offensive as a tactical reserve.

[image]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-3Kog4AK91-c/UBWNpSxkJBI/AAAAAAAABd8/xr1Cdv8Wpp4/s1600/TR152-T064-RUS-RZHEV.jpg[/image]

For an operation to start off so terrifying, HUSKY is quickly emerging as a resounding success, as the II Corps’ landing at Palermo seems to have been the game changer I was needing here. Not only will the Italians surrender soon, but I’ve officially connected all three major landing beachheads. Right now there are three American corps and one British corps on the island, with two Canadian and one more British corps ready to come ashore if needed. The Germans seems to be forming a defensive line to protect the approach to Messina, anchored by the 7th SS Geb Division and 2. FJ Division. Provided I can quickly get either of the two US armored divisions into the gap behind the German position, there’s a chance I can bag at least one of those two powerful units.

[image]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-J32eV424G9k/UBWNg8DXV0I/AAAAAAAABd0/fqy-XlTcaNM/s1600/TR152-T064-IT-SICILY.jpg[/image]

ELSEWHERE

Sector: Batumi
Mark is now digging in like crazy here, causing me to think he’s going to pause all other operations along the eastern front to focus squarely on the Rzhev situation. That’s great news for me, since the Batumi sector was still very fragile. Now that action has ceased there, most of my armies are returning to “green” readiness. And since I still hold the Batumi port hex, an end run landing behind the German positions is not out of the question.

Sector: Crete
I’m contemplating whether or not to even take a stab at Rhodes. There are two very strong German divisions manning the beaches, and the island doesn’t really hold the strategic significance that Crete does. Meanwhile, the XXX Corps continues to sweep Crete of the last defenders.

Ruppich -> RE: TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T064: 7.23.43 (7/30/2012 8:02:34 AM)

Greetings from germany [:D]
Fantastic AAR, i love to read it every morning :)
Their is one think that bothers me.
The usage of the shock bonus.
Historically these shocks where reached by a big offensive in one theatre for example russia.

Disbanding thise shocks and then attacking one multiple front on different theatre just doesn't seems wright. An offensive in Russia wouldnt shock garrison forces in italy for example.
I know this is how the game engine works but mabye this needs a small house roule or "gentleman agreement".

Keep on posting

mike1984 -> TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T065: 7.30.43 (7/30/2012 8:08:18 AM)

T065: 7.30.43

It seems the success of this operation is guaranteed at this point, with the two pincers of the offensive linked by a swath three hexes wide. Supply is flowing through both ends of the breakthrough, while the Germans at Rzhev will have to simply await their fate in captivity or a grave. I’m shipping in six artillery divisions that arrived last turn, for the sole purpose of blasting the Rzhev pocket into dust. Now that the Rzhev pocket is completely cut off from supply and reinforcement, I can concentrate all of the Guards armies on continuing the offensive southward toward Vyazma. I’m not going to push my luck too much here, as I don’t want to risk having much of my veteran elite units destroyed by overextending them just to take Vyazma for a turn or two, only to have a strong German counter offensive crush me. Plus, the shock runs out after this turn, so I won’t have the combat advantages I’ve enjoyed for all of this offensive so far, most significantly, the increased number of combat rounds.

[image]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-HwBR1O9uPV0/UBYynQMt2NI/AAAAAAAABeg/IOfmud94hrw/s1600/TR152-T065-RUS-RZHEV.jpg[/image]

Much of the island will be under Allied control by the end of next turn, including the major ports of Palermo, Syracuse and Catania, the latter of which was captured this past turn by the 2nd Armored Division. I can’t stress this enough, but considering how this operation started, to have not lost a single unit to evaporation is a MAJOR accomplishment at this stage. And with so many replacements ready to go, the US 9th and 34th divisions are nearing full combat strength after losing almost 95 percent of its effective fighting force. Now begins the second stage of operations on Sicily, which is the tough road to Messina. Once the Italians capitulate in a few turns, it will be markedly easier to move on the final Sicilian objective. For now, clearing out the western third of the island is my primary focus, while harassing the Germans and Italians digging into the mountains. In a few turns, I’ll begin planning for the invasion of Sardenia and Corsica, likely led by the two Canadian corps available in Africa.

[image]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-5F_JwYbqw_0/UBYyrqNJAmI/AAAAAAAABeo/dFqoVIdmRAg/s1600/TR152-T065-IT-SICILY.jpg[/image]

mike1984 -> TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T066: 8.6.43 (8/3/2012 5:13:26 AM)

T066: 8.6.43

The 2nd Guards Army is now split between both pincers, but the 5th Guards Army and 5th Guards Tank are supporting the western attack. The Germans successfully breached through the pocket wall with 2. Panzer Division, but the 2nd Guards Tank and supporting Op Group closed the window for now. The 8th Guards Army is holding the southeastern wall of the outside line, with the 4th Guards Tank helping out. But I’ll need the 4th to displace and support the middle where the Germans are looking to free the two full corps trapped in the Rzhev pocket. The main attack force is now getting very tired with all the counterattacks being lobbed its way. But I’ll pull out another army or two to support. Plus, I’m also beginning to close the pocket from the north, which hopefully reduces the amount of time the Germans have before I march off 100,000 prisoners from the VI., XX., and XXVII. Korps. Time is running short on both sides to either save or destroy the pocket. If I can’t crush the Rzhev pocket, this offensive will be a failure.

I’m extremely confident in the ability to control all of the island by Sept. 1. That’s still a month away (4 turns), but it’s possible now that the 2nd Armored managed to capture Catania and the 5th Division surprisingly punctured a hole in the Italian line south of Mt. Etna. I now have at least four full artillery brigades (not including HQ units) at my disposal, along with a refreshed set of US Navy Squadrons. The Italian navy made a dangerous sortie near Brolo, but I smacked them around a bit. The key here is to connect the rail lines to get that 100-pt supply base at Palermo pumping throughout the entire island. I have two engineer battalions working on it, but progress is a bit slow. The quicker I get supply flowing, the quicker I can take the rest of Sicily.

mike1984 -> TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T067: 8.13.43 (8/3/2012 5:30:54 AM)

T067: 8.13.43

The German counterattacks have strengthened, coinciding with the end of my 110% shock. That’s caused a serious issue as my units are extremely tired. Compounding the issue further is the inability to keep the Rzhev pocket closed, allowing some units to escape through the corridor opened by German panzer divisions. In my last update, I indicated that if I couldn’t crush the Rzhev pocket, the offensive would be a failure. I’m still maintaining that stance on the operation. However, if there is a silver lining to what could end up being a gray cloud, it’s that the German army is not, in fact, invincible. German losses in this offensive have been severe, with most units losing between 40-80 percent of their fighting strength. Several more were outright destroyed. . So far in this scenario, the Eastern Front has been one setback after another. This changed things, hopefully for the rest of the war in Europe.

The US V Corps is steadily pushing northward, with the British V Corps supporting the right flank along the road to Messina. In the west, the US II Corps is being relieved in its mission to clear out the remaining coastal defenses. The British I and II Corps are now on the island and will take over that operation from the US II Corps. Much of the German contingent is now moving off Sicily to the mainland, though I’ve tried my best to keep the “bridge” to Calabria closed with air power. The Italians are likely to capitulate soon, so I’m hesitant to make a serious push on Messina and risk losing too many more men.

mike1984 -> TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T068: 8.20.43 (8/3/2012 5:35:08 AM)

T68: 8.20.43

It feels like the offensive is slowing to the point where action in this sector could be finished for a while. I’ve renewed the assault on the remnants of the VI. and XX. Korps, destroying the 23. Panzer, 162. and 246. Divisions, and the XXVII Korps HQ unit. Once the lines stabilize and close up, I’m going to begin moving out some of the more worn units, most importantly the Guards Armies, to rest and refit for the next offensive. I’m not 100 percent sure where that will be. Action has resumed on the Russia-Finland border, so my attention will turn there for the time being.

[image]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Oy8oK55sSWU/UBtUnqpVzXI/AAAAAAAABfM/1kL-mMH7TKA/s1600/TR152-T068-RUS-RZHEV.jpg[/image]

Though I’m slowly creeping north and east, the major assaults have ended now that Italy’s government seems to be on the verge of collapsing. The moment that happens, Italy’s military retires from the field, OPERATION: HUSKY will be over and a rather convincing victory for the Allies.

[image]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-VMTt1rugYqY/UBtUsPMP9ZI/AAAAAAAABfU/D722AEmmTv0/s1600/TR152-T068-IT-SICILY.jpg[/image]

mike1984 -> TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T069: 8.27.43 (8/3/2012 5:43:44 AM)

T069: 8.27.43

The operation is officially ending, with the arrival of the 55th Army from Karelia to finish off the remnants of the XX. and VI. Korps. Several divisions were able to escape the pocket southward to safety. Overall, the Russian Army didn’t achieve its objective to surround and destroy at least two full German Korps, but this was the first major victory for the Allied cause on the Eastern Front. The 55th, 20th and 31st armies will move into the front line, relieving the Guards armies that spearheaded the offensive.

Sector: Karelia
The German 20th Armee, composed of the XXVI. and XXXVI. Geb Korps, has overrun the 70th Army in the north Karelian region along the Finland border. The 26th Army on the left has remained in place, but faces the threat of being cut off from the main supply route. I’ve moved elements of the 5th Shock Army and 33rd Army from the south Karelian Sector, and the 23rd Army up from the Svir River line. These reinforcements should help hold off this little German demonstration.

[image]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-4fzG0gkyFXE/UBtWoRLIGoI/AAAAAAAABfc/IUoW1ZAvEl0/s1600/TR152-T069-RUS-KARELIA.jpg[/image]

The Italian Army should surrender any turn now, so the main goal here is to minimize casualties. However, the operation continues to be active since Messina has not yet been taken. The next steps in the invasion of mainland Europe will be capturing Sardinia and Corsica. Once the Italians surrender, this will be very easy to do, as Mark hasn’t reinforced the islands with German garrison forces. I’m also contemplating an invasion of Greece, but that could be very risky with only a minimal return.

mike1984 -> TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T070: 9.3.43 (8/3/2012 5:48:27 AM)

T070: 9.3.43

Quiet turn outside of Karelia. Even there, it was just some counterattacks that netted me one hex. But I expect the Germans to keep pressing southward for at least one or two more turns before the steam runs out of their offensive.

The EEV reached 10 (due to the strategic bombing campaign in NW Europe) so Mark suffers minus-1 Supply starting this turn.

mike1984 -> TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T071: 9.10.43 (8/8/2012 7:46:39 AM)

T071: 9.10.43

Another quiet turn across the board. Much of the movement has been troop shifting away from the Rzhev sector. I know I could have renewed the offensive and probably gained some more ground. But I highly doubt I’d reach anywhere near Vyazma or even sniffed the outskirts of Smolensk. One of the biggest problems with another offensive here is that the Germans now have much more strength in the region, and the rail lines offer ample supply. I’d have to re-mass my artillery for a while and pound away at the front lines for at least a turn or two, giving Mark time to send more help to the area. I’ve sent the 1st and 2nd Guards Armies down south to the Stalingrad sector. The remaining 5-6 Guards armies in the Rzhev sector are resting before moving elsewhere. The most likely places for another offensive is in the Baltic region, or in the North Caucasus. The area west of Astrakhan is still a vulnerable spot for Mark, as there are no rail lines or even improved roads to offer decent supply. The same goes for my forces there, so it’s a risk. But if I can get his units on the run early down there, I could make it all the way up to the southeast sector of Stalingrad, connecting my two fronts. In Karelia, the steam is running out of the German offensive already, as I’ve shifted the 31st Army up from the Rzhev sector to help out.

mike1984 -> TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T072: 9.17.43 (8/8/2012 7:47:15 AM)

T072: 9.17.43

Sector: Sardinia - OPERATION: PAPERBACK
This is just a small amphibious landing operation to capture Sardinia and possibly Corsica. Not much planning went into it compared to other major operations, but it is an essential step toward the invasion of the mainland. The British II Corps, supported by the 2nd Armoured Brigade and elements of the First Army landed at opposite ends of the island. The supply point is at Cagliari, so connecting the beaches is the immediate objective. Mark has nearly abandoned defending this and Corsica, so I don’t expect much of a fight. Still, I have some reserves ready to go if necessary.

ELSEWHERE

Russia - More movements and troop shifting. I’m currently making contingency plans for three different operations--Finland, the Baltics, and the Northern Caucasus.

NW Europe/Germany - The RAF Bomber Command and US 8th AAF are concentrating on the production centers around Essen, including Dortmund and Duisburg. Damage has been inflicted each raid.

mike1984 -> TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T073-074: 9.24.43 (8/8/2012 7:47:42 AM)

T073-074: 9.24-10.1.43

Dual turn this entry, mostly due to lack of overall action on my side. However, I do have plans in place for the invasion of mainland Italy, codename OPERATION: SLAPSTICK (the historical name for invasion at Taranto), which does not include seaborne landings at Salerno. There is currently a large Panzer division (my guess is it’s the Herman Goering Division) stationed at Salerno, which would be nearly impossible to dislodge by sea in one turn. After the near-disaster on D-Day of OPERATION: HUSKY, I’m not about to send another wave of US divisions, this time likely to be slaughtered in their landing craft.

The German/Finnish advance southward is steady but not all that dangerous to my situation. Over two turns, the Axis have only gained three hexes-worth of territory south of the original line. The 70th and 26th Armies are basically destroyed, but with reinforcements and terrain benefiting my defenses, this should be a short-lived offensive for Mark with little return. However, I’m debating a counter offensive here, dependent on how many reinforcements I can spare from other sectors.

Sector: Sardinia - OPERATION: PAPERBACK
In three weeks, the island of Sardinia is secure, and I can begin prep for the landings on Corsica. The smaller of the two islands should be even easier to capture, as Mark has abandoned any real defense of them.

ELSEWHERE

England: Lead elements of the US First Army have landed, including the 3rd Armored Division. The British Second Army is also beginning to muster. The British I Corps and XII Corps are both encamped, the former having shipped back to England from Africa. In the air war, another US 8th AF bomber squadron arrived, as the 8th AF and RAF Bomber Command have shifted bases.

Mediterranean: The British X Corps is transferring to Sicily from Libya. With only 12k sea transport, it’s only feasible to move one of the X Corps’ heavy armored divisions at a time, so this is a slow process. The British XXX Corps and VIII Corps are also awaiting transfers, but those two will go back to England. The South African divisions will remain behind as garrison troops for Crete and North Africa.

mike1984 -> TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T075: 10.8.43 (8/12/2012 2:53:27 PM)

T075: 10.8.43

Sector: Sicily - Southern Italy - OPERATION: SLAPSTICK
The Italian army has surrendered. However, the Germans have been building a fortified defensive line from Salerno to the Adriatic, using the natural barrier of the Ofanto River--leading me to assume their name for it is the “Ofanto Line.” I’ve begun the invasion of southern Italy via OPERATION: SLAPSTICK, with the lead elements of the V and X Corps, and 18th Army Group (4th Division) landing at Taranto and Bari. The US Fifth Army and V Corps are advancing across the Strait of Messina to establish bases in Calabria. I’m not anticipating using the V Corps permanently in Italy, instead sticking with the II and VI Corps as done historically.

[image]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-LWXa5C1YEq4/UCN6i9VdZoI/AAAAAAAABgA/8yv6qYFDQrE/s1600/TR152-T075-IT-TARANTO.jpg[/image]

As of this posting, I have not used the Avalanche Sea Transport Disband.

The Axis here are still pushing slowly south. It’s not much of a concern, though, as I have enough reserves to counter any serious threat.

Sector: Grozny
The small holdouts south of Grozny are now being pushed back into the mountain passes. I don’t believe Mark thinks this is a viable route to T’Bilisi, but rather it could be a way to free up divisions for operations elsewhere.

mike1984 -> TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T076: 10.15.43 (8/12/2012 2:54:06 PM)

T076: 10.15.43

The British landing force has secured the beaches and begun marching inland. Ensuing divisions are landing at Taranto. The US Fifth Army and V Corps continue their march north from Calabria. No contact has yet been made with the Germans along the Ofanto River. I’m expecting that to change next turn.

mike1984 -> TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T077: 10.22.43 (8/12/2012 2:55:12 PM)

T077: 10.22.43

With Taranto and Calabria secured, OPERATION: SLAPSTICK is now closed. It was a small operation relative to the original AVALANCHE, but with the Salerno beaches so heavily fortified with tanks, a historical plan for invading Italy was unrealistic. First contact has been made with the Germans along the Ofanto Line, where the 999. Leitche Division is entrenched in a somewhat advanced position. Recon has confirmed the following strength of the enemy:

1 SS Panzer Divison
1 SS Mountain Division
1 SS Hvy Panzer Btn
1 Fallschirmjager Division
999. Leichte Division
2 Hvy Panzer Btns
1 Panzer Division (Herman Goering Div?)

That doesn’t include the units that are likely manning the line between Salerno and the Apennines. This will be a tough nut to crack, but with enough artillery support, hopefully progress can be made within a few turns.

[image]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Jp4aE2nIAy4/UCN9D0aUhmI/AAAAAAAABgk/5zaawL360eM/s1600/TR152-T077-IT-NAPLES-TARANTO.jpg[/image]

Sector: Velikie Luki - Plans for OPERATION: CALLISTO
The Russian Front is starting to piss me off. I can’t seem to get a decent offensive going that really destabilizes the Germans in more than one or two sectors. So I’m hoping this will help. The idea behind OPERATION: CALLISTO is to use an offensive strike force at least the size of the one used in OPERATION: GUILLOTINE, attack directly west through Kholm and Velikie Luki, and capture the rail junction at Pskov. My initial estimates for the Order of Battle:

4 Guards Armies
4 Guards Tank Armies
2 Shock Armies
2 Regular Armies
10-12 Artillery Divisions
6-7 Air Armies

[image]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-URhJAAFSMRw/UCN9MN3BF8I/AAAAAAAABgs/USjZcFClLhU/s1600/TR152-T077-RUS-BALTIC-PLANS-CALLISTO.jpg[/image]

My target launch for this offense will be after the mud season. Logistical problems have delayed the start date because of lack of sea transport getting some of the participants up from the Caucasus/Baku. If for some reason I can get this thing off the ground sooner, so be it. But for now, it’s best to carefully plan this one, since I need something to finally break on the Russian Front.

Sector: Astrakhan
This might be something... or might not be anything. But I’ve found a crack in the German line. A lone anti-tank unit ventured out one night and soon realized they were behind two German divisions. Scrambling back to the Russian HQs, this information could help spark something in this sector.

mike1984 -> TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T078: 10.29.43 (8/13/2012 6:55:36 PM)

T078: 10.29.43

Sector: Southern Italy
The British now have the better part of two full corps on the Italian mainland, with additional divisions like the 5th “Ball of Fire” and two more armoured brigades. The US is holding back its V Corps until the VI Corps can come up from Sicily. The 2nd Armored Division is the main front line unit at this point, which will be relieved within a few turns. I’m not crazy about launching a winter offensive here, but I might not have a choice.

Sector: Stalingrad - Astrakhan - OPERATION: HARVEST
This is a dummy operation I just came up with to conceal my real intentions to attack in the Baltics. As you can see from the slides, I’ve built up considerable force in both Stalingrad and Astrakhan. First in Stalingrad, I now have several Guards infantry armies, in addition to shipping down the 4th and 13th Air Armies from the Moscow region.

To the south, near Astrakhan, the Guards armor is massed with two Guards infantry armies. I’m hoping my one tell here--all the Guards armies remain stationed on rail lines--won’t get noticed by Mark. But in his communications to me recently, it sounds like he’s taking the bait, moving the Luftwaffe in force to the southern areas. Of course, it could be a double-cross, too. I’m remaining always skeptical, but confident in my deception plans for OPERATION: CALLISTO in the north. The plan moving forward will allow Mark more time to react to OPERATION: HARVEST. Once I see he’s moved more actual ground units into the area and off the rail lines (so he won’t have easy access immediately after I make my moves), I’ll ship all these Guards armies by rail up to the Baltics, simultaneously bombing the crap out of his rail network. All I need is about 2 turns to get OPERATION: CALLISTO off the ground before he reacts.

mike1984 -> TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T079: 11.5.43 (8/13/2012 6:55:56 PM)

T079: 11.5.43

Sector: Stalingrad - Astrakhan - OPERATION: HARVEST
So far, so good. The deception is beginning to work, as Mark is funneling almost half the available Luftwaffe squadrons down to this part of the Russian Front. Not only that, but I’ve observed at least two full Panzer divisions being transferred from the Vyazma sector. I’m not going to even begin transferring all the Guards armies back up north until the very last moment before the offensive begins.

Sector: Velikie Luki - Central Russian Sectors - OPERATION: CALLISTO
The air campaign for CALLISTO will begin this turn, mostly focused on bridge-busting the hell out of Mark’s rail network. Hopefully, this will look to him as if I’m cutting off rail access to the south, when in reality it’s designed (obviously) to do the opposite, cutting off his ability to transfer troops out of the Caucasus to counter my offensive in the Baltics.

I’m pulling back from the northern part of this sector. There’s no point in wasting men and material defending something that doesn’t need to be defended. My positions in the south are solid, and I’m not sure Mark is willing to mess with the entire 8th Guards Army, which has been waiting patiently along the supply line.

Sector: Southern Italy
Progress here has been painfully slow, as the British V and X Corps are finally all on the Italian mainland, while the US Fifth Army has yet to bring up any of its infantry corps to the front line. Mark could actually launch an attack (which he won’t, if he’s as smart as I know he is) against the US troops sitting in front of Salerno and destroy almost all of them. It’s just the 2nd Armored Division supported by a few artillery units. The US VI Corps is moving up past the V Corps, and should be in position next turn. After that, the rail line should be rebuilt enough to move the II Corps up from Palermo. At Taranto, the bulk of the British XXX Corps has landed, which includes the powerful 2nd New Zealand, 9th Australian, and 4th Indian Divisions. The 51st Highland Division is still on Crete, since I ran out of sea transport. That unit will end up being redeployed to England anyway. The XXX Corps South African Division will garrison Corsica, which has just fallen to a small expedition by the British I Corps.

Sector: NW Europe - Strategic Air Campaign
Bombings have increased attacking the German industrial centers in the Ruhr and Rhine River Valleys. Mark has moved at least a half dozen (maybe more) Luftwaffe fighter squadrons from this area to the southern portion of the Russian Front (HARVEST is working!) which allows my new P-51s to better protect the bombers.

mike1984 -> TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T080: 11.12.43 (8/13/2012 6:56:14 PM)

T080: 11.12.43

After months of fighting, the Germans have finally punched their way into Batumi. This in turn forced the scuttling of the Russian Black Sea Fleet, as it was the final port hex on the Black Sea. Not a huge loss, but symbolic at least. In a way, though, I can now fall back to stronger defensive positions in front of Kutaisi and concentrate elsewhere.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI