Is it worth it? (Question about a book) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Hotschi -> Is it worth it? (Question about a book) (5/16/2012 7:43:41 PM)

Since about 2 years I am eyeing this book, but - the prize-tag....

US Navy

Is it worth the 157 USD? Does anybody around here actually own it? If so, does this volume also contain technical info as well as build, launch or commissioning data?

JocMeister -> RE: Is it worth it? (Question about a book) (5/16/2012 7:46:30 PM)

Oooh! Shiny! Me want!

USSAmerica -> RE: Is it worth it? (Question about a book) (5/16/2012 8:59:32 PM)

Looks fantastic, but I know nothing else about it.

sdhundt -> RE: Is it worth it? (Question about a book) (5/16/2012 9:49:15 PM)

Wow, looks like a great book..I too have never heard of the book and $157 is way high for any book I have paid for but I might just get one for myself.

sdhundt -> RE: Is it worth it? (Question about a book) (5/16/2012 9:51:47 PM)

It's sells for $142 at the Barns&Nobel web sight...I'm going to look around for some other prices..

LST Express -> RE: Is it worth it? (Question about a book) (5/16/2012 9:55:58 PM)

Haven't checked but you might can find a used one at amazon.

Don Bowen -> RE: Is it worth it? (Question about a book) (5/17/2012 12:16:54 AM)

No, nowhere near worth the price. Has about 20% more data than the original books, which are one hell of a lot less expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/U-S-Warships-World-War-II/dp/B0007EGTEA

Hotschi -> RE: Is it worth it? (Question about a book) (5/18/2012 7:51:30 PM)

Thanks for the input, gentlemen. Some 25 years ago or so, I used to possess a book by Paul H. Silverstone about the US Navy, it was published by Ian Allen & Co Ltd, listing all vessels of the USN - this book disappeared somehow from my inventory. The 20 percent more data mentioned keeps me itching... Maybe next month... [:D]

Mac Linehan -> RE: Is it worth it? (Question about a book) (5/19/2012 5:36:12 AM)

Don -

Ordered a used copy in good condition from Amazon. Thank You for the reference; I shall look forward to hours of reading...

Mac

YankeeAirRat -> RE: Is it worth it? (Question about a book) (5/19/2012 9:10:38 AM)

I have Silverstone's "US Warships of World War II" as it was published by the USNI in 1989. It is a great little reference in the sense that it gives you everything that was authorized or in active service between 1939 and 1945. From the Battleships down to the harbor tugs and the little USCG river patrol boats. It is worth it. However, my biggest issue with it is that they list the ships but for large classes like the Fletchers or Summers they don't talk about the modifications which may have occurred to the different ships in the class. That and some of the lists talk about which operations the larger units particpated in, while the supply train ships dodge long lists of "been there, done that". It is a good reference to start with and good to have in your shelf for that random comparision or examination while doing a scenario edit or to start answering a forum post.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI