RE: Barbarossa, a changed plan, Tauroggen vs. Alex (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports

Tauroggen -> RE: Barbarossa, a changed plan, Tauroggen vs. Alex (6/14/2012 10:53:47 PM)

turn 10 start Center:
STAVKA seems to roll every available unit in front of Army Group Center.
This will become a battle of attrition.

[image]local://upfiles/41571/A823ED3DB0FD46AEA2E8989E8287FA7B.gif[/image]

Tauroggen -> RE: Barbarossa, a changed plan, Tauroggen vs. Alex (6/14/2012 10:56:23 PM)

After tough fighting not much progress

[image]local://upfiles/41571/26CEDE968DDE476A91E32C119813762C.gif[/image]

Tauroggen -> RE: Barbarossa, a changed plan, Tauroggen vs. Alex (6/15/2012 10:42:18 PM)

turn 12 start:

A heavy setback at Army Group Center: The supply line has been interrupted by partisan activity, with the effect that an offensive in the northern wing of the attack will be out of supply if they advance further.
This situation will stay for 3 turns because the rail unit will not be able to repair the hexes this turn.

Generalleutnant von Roques commanded the forces that had to protect the railway in the Vilnius area.
Needless to say that von Roques has to pay the full price for his failure.
On Sept 15th he was sentenced to death by a martial court. A week later he was pardoned and sentenced to military prison for an undefined period of time.

[image]local://upfiles/41571/DEAA80ED07BA48DB89602C79D47268F3.gif[/image]

Tauroggen -> RE: Barbarossa, a changed plan, Tauroggen vs. Alex (6/15/2012 11:00:47 PM)

Following the desaster at Vilnius a discussion in the Staffs of OKH and Army Group Center began wether the offensive against Moscow should be continued.
The time delay of 3 turns could mean that the offensive would end short of Moscow before winter starts, and that there would be no winter preparations.

Finally OKH decides to strike to the South, to gain ground and weaken the Soviets without heavy German casualties.
A minor attack will be launched north of Moscow, meant to force STAVKA to stay strong near Moscow.

Situation in the end of turn 12:
The Panzer forces are withdrawn to the region southwest of Wjazma, to attack to the Southeast, direction Orel.

[image]local://upfiles/41571/8A79DEC3D3FB4987816674CC96A65982.gif[/image]

A game -> RE: Barbarossa, a changed plan, Tauroggen vs. Alex (6/16/2012 4:37:22 AM)

STAVKA intelligence report:

Interesting as I had no idea a partisan attack had so much impact on your plans, I wasnt sure the partisans were doing anything at all though I had committed a lot of planes to supply them! By turn ten I knew Leningrad would fall soon so the Northern fronts dug in along the Volkhov river line to attempt to stop any meeting with the fins to the north.

Moscow became my major defensive goal with any spare troops from Northern fronts being sent south, at this stage the Southern fronts were basicly just a skirmish line again all troops sent to the Moscow sector. I created a massive tiered defensive line from Kalinin down to Tula to stop any flanking maneuvers, and all my best leaders were moved to western front and the moscow defense. It seemed as though the main Axis attack would fall on Moscow at this time...

Tauroggen -> RE: Barbarossa, a changed plan, Tauroggen vs. Alex (6/18/2012 3:23:37 PM)

turn 13 end

the Kursk-pocket:
Panzergruppe 2 started from the area northwest of Brjansk, whereas Panzergruppe 1, consisting of 1 Corps, started from Kharkov.

The pocket is not unbreakable, but will be sealed the next turn.
Not so many units in the pocket, but many hexes changed.
This is only the first stage of this offensive, as Panzergruppe 3 and two Corps of Panzergruppe 4 will join soon.
The only Panzerkorps not part of this offensive is standing west of Kalinin threatening Moscow from the North, but will strike to the North.

[image]local://upfiles/41571/924A15D8D88A45B2974C504A56B440DB.gif[/image]

Tauroggen -> RE: Barbarossa, a changed plan, Tauroggen vs. Alex (6/18/2012 3:37:37 PM)

turn 15 start:

The railway supply line is broken again, this time southwest of Mogilev.
These partisan activities have crippled my whole campaign. The breaks occure without a warning, whereas in the game against AI I always detected the partisan unit before it could do its evil work, I had time 1 turn to eliminate the unit.
Not so in this game vs A game...

Whole Army group Center and the Panzergruppen rolling forward are suffering supply shortages again.

[image]local://upfiles/41571/98C0553CBD6246609C5BA36162644FE6.gif[/image]

Tauroggen -> RE: Barbarossa, a changed plan, Tauroggen vs. Alex (6/18/2012 3:46:12 PM)

turn 15 end:

Despite of the supply shortage, the Panzerdivisionen roll on, creating more pockets.
The 20. Panzerdivison reaches the outskirts of Voronezh.
Now the Panzergruppe 3 (in green) has taken the lead.

[image]local://upfiles/41571/67059A4541D840F1999AA8379E4623F4.gif[/image]

Tauroggen -> RE: Barbarossa, a changed plan, Tauroggen vs. Alex (6/18/2012 3:56:16 PM)

turn 15 end:

...whereas further south, Panzergruppe 1 has made a 180* degree turn.
After striking from Kharkov to the North it now breaks through the Soviet lines south of Kharkov and reaches the coast line.

Oberleutnant Junge of the Panzeraufklärungs-Abteilung of the 14. Panzerdivision wires to the Divison-HQ as he can watch across the Taganrog Bay:
"Thalatta! Das Meer!"

[image]local://upfiles/41571/8845DDA677A14C79BD7B6893E078F4F7.gif[/image]

Tauroggen -> RE: Barbarossa, a changed plan, Tauroggen vs. Alex (6/18/2012 4:07:07 PM)

twice

Tauroggen -> RE: Barbarossa, a changed plan, Tauroggen vs. Alex (6/22/2012 4:33:17 PM)

turn 24.
t25 will be blizzard time
When I look back at my summer campaign, it is a desaster.

My main mistakes

- I did not protect the rail supply lines enough.
I do not know what went wrong, as I immediately manned newly conquered cities.
Maybe Agame's promoting (by air supply) of soviet partisans had an impact.

- I did not do HQ-buildups in the offensive for Moscow (and Leningrad),
partly because of broken rail lines (2 times in front of Moscow,
it took 2-3 turns to repair each time), partly because I moved so fast forward
in North and Center that my HQs could not do build-ups.

So my opponent lured me - unintentionally, as I believe -
into moving too fast forward to be able to make HQ-buildups.
Two beginners struggling who makes the bigger mistakes...
I won this struggle, I think. Maybe because the German side is harder to master.

Having reached Borodino, which is 7 hexes from Moscow,
at the end of turn 8 (August 7th) and then not being able to take Moscow, is a shame.
Having reached the southern bank of the Neva at the end of turn 8
and then in 9 not attacking the backdoor ist a big mistake also, but I took Leningrad.
I should have regrouped Panzergruppe 4 earlier to Moscow though.

On the other hand Agame put all his efforts very early in defending Moscow.
He had built a deep defense with several lines of 2-3 fortifications.
I should have crushed or envelopped these lines.
As I could not, he preserved much of his army.
I now, at the end of t 24, face a Soviet Army that will soon be beyond 6 million men.

[image]local://upfiles/41571/C2F73DE26DC54B7D8F37D919F4A07539.gif[/image]

Tauroggen -> RE: Barbarossa, a changed plan, Tauroggen vs. Alex (6/22/2012 4:43:33 PM)

I certainly used my Panzerdivisions not to the limit, giving them more rest than the German player can afford.
This leaves me with lower casualties and more reserves than "usual", but the price is a soviet army that also had lower losses.
I hold a line Volckov-Demjansk-Torzhok-Rhzev-Vjazma-Orel-Kharkov-Stalino which is ok, but I will not be able to hold because of the soviet troop numbers that will soon hit my lines.

Losses for Axis and Soviets are certainly lower than "normal."

Any comments? Suggestions, hints, corrections?

[image]local://upfiles/41571/5DF1E385F989416FBE1C973501448BBA.gif[/image]

notenome -> RE: Barbarossa, a changed plan, Tauroggen vs. Alex (6/22/2012 6:22:24 PM)

Well you could have taken more terrain but the panzerwaffe is in fairly spectacular shape, as is the Wehrmacht. You have more than enough troops to do a strong blizzard defense (a lot of AARs out there showing how to do so) and then go for a 42 knock out blow.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI