Favorite Turn Based Game (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

CCB -> Favorite Turn Based Game (12/6/2002 3:57:44 AM)

So what's your favorite (and you can only pick one) turn based game?

Mine is Panzer General 2 (can you believe it?!). Its soooo easy to learn (I never even read the manual!) and fun to play.

PG2 has better graphics than PG, Allied General, or Pacific General. And you can't PBEM game in PG3D or PG3SE.

Plus a game has to be WW2 for me to play it.

Culiacan Mexico -> (12/6/2002 4:08:34 AM)

Just one... :( ...PacWar.

dpstafford -> (12/6/2002 4:13:24 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Culiacan Mexico
[B]Just one... :( ...PacWar. [/B][/QUOTE]
PacWar? Then why not Uncommon Valor?

My favorite turn-based game? ALL of them. Because even the worst of them are better than any RTS game.

Culiacan Mexico -> (12/6/2002 4:21:42 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dpstafford
[B]PacWar? Then why not Uncommon Valor?

My favorite turn-based game? ALL of them. Because even the worst of them are better than any RTS game. [/B][/QUOTE]My APO is restricted to 16 oz or less and they frown on CDs being shipped through their system here. :(

I don't know what I will do when War in the Pacific is shipped. So sad. :)

dpstafford -> (12/6/2002 4:25:40 AM)

[B]My APO is restricted to 16 oz or less and they frown on CDs being shipped through their system here. :(

I don't know what I will do when War in the Pacific is shipped. So sad. :) [/B][/QUOTE]
Don't you know anybody in the REAL world that could hold a copy for you to pick up on your next leave??

Culiacan Mexico -> (12/6/2002 4:33:36 AM)

[B]Don't you know anybody in the REAL world that could hold a copy for you to pick up on your next leave?? [/B][/QUOTE]My wife is a Thai national and we live in Sakhon Nakon Thailand... kind of far from the real world. ;) I haven't spent anytime in the United States for the last 5 1/2 years, but I might have to make a special trip.

On the bright side, by the time I get these games they should be fully debugged… right? :)

Marc von Martial -> (12/6/2002 4:36:24 AM)

Steel Panthers and SPWAW. Combat Mission.

dpstafford -> (12/6/2002 4:39:57 AM)

[B]My wife is a Thai national and we live in Sakhon Nakon Thailand... kind of far from the real world. ;) I haven't spent anytime in the United States for the last 5 1/2 years, but I might have to make a special trip.

On the bright side, by the time I get these games they should be fully debugged… right? :) [/B][/QUOTE]
Not a chance on that.

So, why does your logo say Cairo?
And your handle say Mexico.........

I'm not with the IRS, I swear......

Culiacan Mexico -> (12/6/2002 5:14:26 AM)

[B]Not a chance on that. So, why does your logo say Cairo?
And your handle say Mexico.........

I'm not with the IRS, I swear...... [/B][/QUOTE]I live at Abu Hammad Airforce base now, which is 80km or so Northeast of Cairo, but when I first joined these forums I was working in Culiacan Mexico, I needed a name an since I am an unimaginative fellow...

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> (12/6/2002 5:24:23 AM)

Mexico any chance of you using a local business owner's address as a destination for the mail to target?

Surely you can find a businessman that will let you send a game to his mailing address safely.

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> (12/6/2002 5:28:02 AM)

My favourite Turn based game is almost impossible to pick (to many choices).

In not at all atypical warfare I choose Heroes of Might and Magic (IV is my current game version).

Civ 3 is almost the best game at stomping me if I blink.

ASL for card board small scale, A3R for grand scale.

Pick of the litter, ASL, but you already knew that:)

(by the way picking ASL is the same as picking Steel Panthers, so no I didn't avoid mentioning Steel panthers).

Nixuebrig -> (12/6/2002 7:18:04 AM)

Gettyburg from SSI and since finding a gettysburg -MOD for HPS Campaign Corinth I am feeling happy again.:)

Grishnak -> (12/6/2002 7:45:46 AM)

my favorite is
total conquest.
online fantasy strat game.

Fred98 -> (12/6/2002 7:53:49 AM)

The Ardennes Offensive 2 - which will soon be repaced by Korsun Pocket - and published by Matrix

Fallschirmjager -> (12/6/2002 8:08:42 AM)

Turn based....hard one....Alpha Centauri

Better than any of the civ games.

Hades -> (12/6/2002 10:36:28 AM)

CIV 3
Alpha Centauri
MOO
Spwaw
Conflict in the Middle East-awesome old semi-wargame

slickric -> (12/6/2002 12:45:41 PM)

Don't laugh but Soldiers At War.... turn based squad level combat!

I loved this game which only runs on Win 98 :( here are a few pictures.

[IMG]http://www.boomspeed.com/babyleech/soldwar_screen001.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.boomspeed.com/babyleech/soldwar_screen003.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.boomspeed.com/babyleech/soldwar_screen005.jpg[/IMG]

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> (12/6/2002 8:01:55 PM)

That's turn based?

CCB -> (12/6/2002 11:32:43 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1
[B]That's turn based? [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, and it plays a lot like the AH-Hasbro PC release of Squad Leader (which I have :o ). Its actually kind of fun. There used to be a Victory Games game called "Ambush"; Soldiers at War and Squad Leader (PC) are virtually the PC versions of that game.

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> (12/6/2002 11:57:20 PM)

Well I guess if it is 98 dependent, then I might as well just not bother worrying.

I have no intention of getting ANY game that forces me to even consider 98, that's for sure.

[SIZE=4]98 Sucks[/SIZE]

slickric -> (12/7/2002 12:09:42 AM)

Yes Win 98 sux, I am a Win 2000 man my self but running Win XP at the moment. That sucks some times because I have a lott of older games that run only on 95/98.

chief -> (12/7/2002 1:16:00 AM)

Outside of SPwaw I enjoy playing "Silent Hunter" by SSI" I'd get the North Atlantic version, but they require more than win95b so l guess its all she wrote.

Cheeks -> (12/7/2002 3:25:37 AM)

NOW HEAR THIS:

HPS's "The Proud and The Few"

Games that look promising but haven't tried:

HPS's "Eagle Strike"
Matrix's "Uncommon Valor" & "War in the Pacific"

I'm thinking about asking Santa for Uncommon Valor...

THAT IS ALL:

Cheeks

AlvinS -> (12/7/2002 3:47:19 AM)

Uncommon Valor:cool:

War In The Pacific when it comes out!

CCB -> (12/7/2002 4:07:46 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cheeks
[B]HPS's "Eagle Strike[/B][/QUOTE]

I've got that one. Good game. I don't have the Proud and the Few, but I'm going to get it soon.

Brigz -> (12/7/2002 6:33:46 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1
[B]Well I guess if it is 98 dependent, then I might as well just not bother worrying.

I have no intention of getting ANY game that forces me to even consider 98, that's for sure.

[SIZE=4]98 Sucks[/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE]

I don't understand why you guys don't like Win 98 SE. I've kept it on my machine because it's very stable and runs all my games, even the one's I've heard other people have trouble running. I don't think it's necessarily the OS you use but how you have your computer configured. It certainly works well for me and very rarely crashes or locks up.

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> (12/7/2002 10:39:35 AM)

Dave I had 98, I had it on a pablum machine ie on board sound and video absolutely nothing exotic at all.

Yes it ran older games, yes it ran them adequately. Yes I will those games.

But Win 98 itself sucks, not that it won't run the games it did. The games were certainly not the weak link 98 was. It sucks.

Oh did I mention 98 sucks.

It blue screened when it wanted to. It sure didn't set up any software or hardware on it's own initiative like XP does. It sure wasn't able to get older games to run by being inovative like XP does.
So what XP won't run some games that are more than 5 years old. Most of those games are so old they have lost their shine and have been effectively usurped by the game that is essentially the same setting but better looking.

Man if Battlefield plays as well or as close to Operational Art of War as I need, I might even go around and break a few 98 OS discks I have, just to feel good.

If my power gamer buddy turfed what he said was a good gamer OS (98) for XP that is all I need to know. If he says it sucks then it really sucks.

slickric -> (12/7/2002 12:49:38 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cheeks
[B]NOW HEAR THIS:

HPS's "The Proud and The Few"

Games that look promising but haven't tried:

HPS's "Eagle Strike"
Matrix's "Uncommon Valor" & "War in the Pacific"

I'm thinking about asking Santa for Uncommon Valor...

THAT IS ALL:

Cheeks [/B][/QUOTE]

Don't ask..Demand. Its a dam fine game! (Uncommon Valor)
And War In The Pacific looks to be better.

scimitar -> (12/7/2002 3:01:15 PM)

Softwares:

My favourite one is SPWAW (playing H2H, PBEM, solo with the magacampaigns)

Non computer boardgames:

Canvas Falcons. Definitively.

Impossible for me to choose a "best of -all categories" between those two games...

slickric -> (12/8/2002 1:33:46 AM)

I wish there was a way that Soldiers at war would play on XP.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI