I see scattered threads on strategy (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room

CyrusSpitama -> I see scattered threads on strategy (7/10/2012 4:46:39 PM)

Why has a massive thread not been created showing the many various overall battle plan for Japanese or Allies. Instead we have tactics scattered amongst all these AARs, war room stories, and general forum postings saying how they like to do this or that. Couldn't we petition the mods here to sticky just a few threads where no flames or insults would be allowed (punishment could be removal of your entire post) so that all these varied and wonderful tactics could be shared and possible new tactics could then emerge?

I am not fussing or trying to "stir the pot"... I am just asking a serious question regarding these forums where I see prolific postings yet, we seem to be missing what so many of us new(er) players consider a vital resource?

If there is such a thing made and I am just not finding it, feel free to ignore this post but not before pointing me at this mystical resource. BANZAI!! [:D]

I mean, SEMPER FI!! [&o]

(gotta keep both sides happy until I glean my desperately needed intel)

OH. And here is a cat... with a lazer...

[image]local://upfiles/37657/260159885E294F2FB826A0C1529087DF.jpg[/image]

Chickenboy -> RE: I see scattered threads on strategy (7/10/2012 4:58:14 PM)

Not aware of any such 'universal strategy' thread outside of the AARs you mention. Let me know if you find it, that we can check it out too, CyrusSpitama.

Oh-here's a cat that looks like Hitler. [:D]

[image]local://upfiles/6968/01DAE42AFE60425C99C3C5766D4F0416.jpg[/image]

CyrusSpitama -> RE: I see scattered threads on strategy (7/10/2012 5:06:29 PM)

Mein FURRIER!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq7XVil6LvE

DO NOT CLICK THAT LINK! [8D]

rms1pa -> RE: I see scattered threads on strategy (7/10/2012 11:49:56 PM)

wowsers,strategy,

strategy has many levels. grand strategy? don't lose.
operational strategy? north.south china?
as an AFB, i like the "sir robin" technique. but know the dutch command would never do it. nor would Churchill allow the abandonment of Singapore. historicly the Allies did a "die in place"

while rushing and organizing forces to the rear. forces were sent to french polenesia to keep a line to Aus.

a good thread possibility. perhaps more experienced players could chime in with detailed concepts.

rms/pa

LoBaron -> RE: I see scattered threads on strategy (7/11/2012 6:56:30 AM)

As Japan: Expand as fast as possible - without exposing your force by your op tempo - to establish a defensible buffer zone you can
use to slowly retreat from when you decide neccesary. This needs to include major precautions to protect the DEIs, which are your lifeline.
Build up several layers of defensible key areas you are able to retreat to, as soon as the Allies force the OP tempo it is too late for that.

Please be aware that I am thinking scen #1 where every goal beyond "survive longer than VJ-day" can be neglected (with the exception
of extreme player quality differences).

As Allies: Slowly give way to the Japanese advance (as has been said, some like a Sir Robin, I donīt) while from the beginning attempting to disrupt the Allied
timeline. Try to achieve local superiority ambush tactics when fighting. Establish a trans Pacific lifeline and a trans IO lifeline to later be able to rely on an abundance
of troops, fuel and supplies in every potential theatre. After parity has been established put the Japanese defensive positions under pressure and look for weak
spots. Attack from several vectors at once to force a spread of Japanese defensive ressources or tough either-or decisions.

To attack what when is impossible to tell at the beginning of the game as it depends on the location of the Japanese perimeter and the condition of your
forces. In addition the rest very much depends on the scenario and the opponent, and your personal preferences.

That there is no guide for strategies has a reason IMHO: Few want to share what he thinks would be the optimal strategy, until played that is,
and what one thinks to be the best way to fight is as much dependent on strategic realities as on personal taste. You can have a strategic
discussion about a specific situation, but for the multitude of grand campaign scenarios there are simply too many variables unknown.

JeffroK -> RE: I see scattered threads on strategy (7/11/2012 9:30:22 AM)

I think another reason is what are you reacting to.

The JFB can have a plan for the first 18mths and this is countered by the AFB who is also setting up his conquest of the empire.

It's no very effective to have a great Aleutians strategy if Melbourne is under threat from the KB.

Generally, I try to build a defensive line no worse than Hawaii, Christmas Is, Paga Pago, Suva, Noumea, Sydney. Sometimes this is breached around Noumea/Suva ans the next position is Aukland.

In SEAC I try to hold the Indian frontier.

You then have to make your plans depending on where the JFB is (or isn't) and what of your fleet is still above water. You get arguements for short island hopping campaigns in the DEI or Solomons, Central Pacific campaigns, the Kuriles or Sumatra.

Canoerebel -> RE: I see scattered threads on strategy (7/11/2012 3:06:29 PM)

Some folks see dead people, you see scattered threads....

Crackaces -> RE: I see scattered threads on strategy (7/11/2012 3:18:24 PM)

One thing that can be said for the "Sir Robin Strategy" for the Allies. First, yes one can delay the IJ but in the end it seems in reading the AAR's with the exception of CR's Palembang strategy that the I end up on the Indian Border, DEI, Northern Oz, Solomon's, Gilberts and all around mid 42. The question then becomes in my opinion, with how many platforms does the Allies have at this point and whether one has to wait to mid 44 or can they start limited offensives in 42.

In my AAR I pulled off a "Sir Robin" but to the line I calculated that could be taken with or without resistance. Then once the IJ reached this line counterattacked with forces that in some games are normally exchanged for IJ pieces in early '42. This more organized counterattack with more platforms at the right time was quite effective at gaining and keeping the offensive intiative.

Just a thought.

rwolan@sbcglobal.net -> RE: I see scattered threads on strategy (7/12/2012 9:27:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Some folks see dead people, you see scattered threads....

Ha ha, I get it. [:D]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI